• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Wavebossa

Funny part is, aside from inclines, tank controls are fine at 60fps.

30fps It turns into a jittery mess where tanks attempt to vibrate back and forth and then spin really hard without going anywhere while your AP depletes like 3x as fast as it would when you were actually moving.

essentially
30fps: input is messed up
60fps: physics are messed up

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What i've learned is... Don't use the mouse or a gamepad to control tanks. Control them only with WASD and 8462 for facing. If you even touch your mouse/gamepad you can kiss your aP goodbye

Ultimadrago

I just now realized you can save mid-mission.

Well knowing that earlier would had saved a lot of time by not restarting missions from the beginning that's for sure.

Question: which characters you think are the best for each role? (Scout, Shocktrooper, etc.)

Own tier/Scout: Alicia

Shocktrooper: Rosie

Sniper: Marina

Engineer: Nadine

Lancer: Audrey/Jann/Largo

Which reminds me, I forgot to tell raven777 about Audrey when he was asking for all female troops before (and I'm not sure how because Audrey is one of the few favorite troops I have from that class). You'd have to unlock her first though.

Wavebossa

Own tier/Scout: Alicia

Shocktrooper: Rosie

Sniper: Marina

Engineer: Nadine

Lancer: Audrey/Jann/Largo

Which reminds me, I forgot to tell raven777 about Audrey when he was asking for all female troops before (and I'm not sure how because Audrey is one of the few favorite troops I have from that class). You'd have to unlock her first though.

I would personally put Dallas over Nadine due to his compatability with alicia and vice versa.

Dallas (likes Alicia, Edy, Aika) HP 212 AP 650
------------------------------------------------
Desert Allergy-An allergy to dust and sand leads to a steady drain of HP while in a sandy
area

Man Hater-Having men nearby triggers a constitutional loathing so powerful it lowers accuracy

Fancies Women-Having women around makes them want to look good, making them shoot with
greater accuracy

Alicia Lover-Just knowing that Alicia is nearby gives confidence and a boost in evasion

Defense Boost-While taking action, they occaisonally enjoy heightened defenses

Demolition Man-Attacks using hand grenades have a set chance of dealing more damage than normal

Super Repair-Repairs performed on tanks have a chance of restoring a greatly increased amount
of HP

Double Action-They have a set probability of being able to take two actions consecutively

Nadine (likes Zaka, Wavy) HP 212 AP 650
-----------------------------------------
Pollen Allergy-Heavy pollen allergies mean a steady drain of HP when standing near too much
plant life

Darcsen Bond-Having brethren close by to protect stirs enhanced defensive abilities

Camaraderie-Having allies of the same unit class nearby puts them at ease, raising
their natural evasion

Rear Guard-Being the very last to take action gives them a strong sense of responsibility
that boosts attack power

Repair Boost-Repairs performed on tanks have a chance of restoring an increased amount of HP

Resist Counters-Damage taken from enemy counterattacks is lessened a set percentage of the time

Super Defense-Defensive abilities are greatly boosted a set percentage of the time

Double Action-They have a set probability of being able to take two actions consecutively

Its a toss up but i would go with Dallas

Ultimadrago

I would personally put Dallas over Nadine due to his compatability with alicia and vice versa...

Its a toss up but i would go with Dallas

- I very rarely ever have any Engineer shoot, so I don't really need the boost to accuracy.

- Is Welkin included in the Man Hater potential? Even if he isn't, my Engineers stand by a lot of people (not all of them female), which is why I'm not a fan of team depreciating potentials on a whole. Now, I don't use Nadine's Bond much, as the only Darcsen I sometimes use is Wavy. But I'd rather a potential I don't use than a negative one.

- Alicia's Like/Potential is a nice ability (as you should always have Alicia), but she doesn't usually stay very close to my Engineer at all. While also rare, I'm more likely to have Nadine close to a backup Engineer.

- I'd agree that Pollen Allergy is worse than Desert Allergy because of the strong presence of grass/trees throughout the game, so Dallas gets that hands-down.

- Super Repair is great, Super Defense is better. Engineers are among the squishiest of classes and mine are always mobile. I'm traditionally much more concerned about interception fire on the way to supporting a teammate than the tank's health (especially as you beef it up throughout the campaign). So Super Defense plus Resist Counters makes the day.

- Demolition Man gets no use in any of my runs. Again, my Engineers are not offensive in the least. This one's a cancel out with Rear Guard, which I also don't use.

I acknowledge the Like statuses, but I've never primarily utilize them as a paradigm for team builds. Everyone largely stands on their own merits in my squad and that alone (mechanically speaking). So yeah, not a blowup by any means, but I would still hand it to Nadine. It depends on how you prefer to boost your Engineers straight on the field.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Didn't play in the past few days and got back to it today. I wasn't aiming for a high rank since I decided to leave that for NG+, but I just got my first A on
chapter 7!

786272A47C4C5B2956FB9C0D5E426B7F949E6864

I was dreading this chapter from reports in the thread
, and as soon as I saw
the Batomys
:

tumblr_inline_n41zxrL5Fs1rrdrcy.gif

I restarted the chapter two times at the second or third turn so I could go at it for real with the appropriate deployed units. After I got the feel of things I ended up using a mix of
Lancers, Scouts, a Sniper and an Engineer.

I issued the
All Units Defend order, and in the first couple or turns I had Marina + Alicia killing everyone who wasn't the Batomys while the Eldeweiss and the Lancers took care of some turrets. Things were going smoothly, but I still had no idea what the hell I was supposed to do. I noticed the stairs, so I had different classes going up the (at the time closed) radiators to do different things and getting zero results.

So I let it roll and then came the scene about
using the ruins as obstruction and the Batomys taking a shot at them, and I finally got to know that I had to wait for the radiators to open. So I had Nadine holler at the Lancers to give them ammo while they wrecked the ruins and, along with the Eldeweiss, took care of the final turrets. At that point the Batomys became a sitting duck with no turrets and doing little damage on the Eldeweiss with its backside cannon.

By then I was like "shit, this is actually easy". But
then the reinforcements arrived... with Super Selvaria...

BmBby.gif

She started systematically mowing everyone down. At this point I got lucky because both Freesia (taking care of radiators) and Nils (taking care of ruins) were far away from her line of fire, plus the Eldeweiss and Alicia were positioned in a way that made the rest of the Empire's backup amount to nothing because they died to interception fire in their own turns.

I downed another ruin and by now everyone was dead except Marina (safe in the north, but useless at this conjunction), Nils (who had downed another wall and didn't have anything else to do), Freesia (hiding the fuck away from Selvaria) and the Eldeweiss. The Batomys finally moved and took it's last shot exposing the final radiator.

I OBVIOUSLY
left the radiator on the left of the tank for last and Selvaria was right in front of it. Lol. Still, I managed to get Freesia quickly up the stairs coming from the back of the tank, and she managed to get a final grenade in before getting downed.

I was already celebrating when I saw that I still had to take the tank down. However, I miraculously had just enough CP to destroy it with continuous shots from the Eldeweiss
. One more turn and almost the entire team I had in the mission would have died permanently.

After all that I see the rank A, so yeah, this was all very satisfying.
3LIIyKp.png
Figuring it out was pretty fun, I'm happy I didn't know anything about the mission beforehand.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
You got an A on your first try on Chapter 7? Wow.

Did you let any units die? Fire Emblem has ingrained a level of hesitation and risk-aversion that will probably never let me get an A rank on mission in this game.
Pretty much every single foot unit I had with me was downed by the final turn, but I managed to finish the mission before the three turns limit was up so no one died permanently. :)

Chariot

lmao. I only saw them driving their tanks back and forth for no reason. Especially in every mission involving Jaeger. That guy uses cp just to show off.

Pretty much every single foot unit I had with me was downed by the final turn, but I managed to finish the mission before the three turns limit was up so no one died permanently. :)
Lucky you.
In one of my earlier tries I had footsoldiers sitting in the middle trench - right were Selvaria and her troops run through. Was not healthy for anyone and I immediately restarted after they took mah girl Freesia :(.

--

Fuck it. I just ordered the Artbook for 33 Euro.

You got an A on your first try on Chapter 7? Wow.

Did you let any units die? Fire Emblem has ingrained a level of hesitation and risk-aversion that will probably never let me get an A rank on mission in this game.

Chapter 7 isn't THAT hard. I got an A first try with only a small amount of save scumming. Beginning part is pretty easy with the tank turrets, use 1 lancer shot + 1 eldelweiss shot. Sniper/Scout can cleanup most of the foot soldiers.

Later, If you shoot down the big rocks the Tank is forced to use its big cannon on it. Engineers restock Lancers so you can take down the radiator in one turn without using the grenade trick. Selvaria's interception can be stropped by putting the Eldelweiss in front of her so she cant hit. Hide your units and only take them out of cover on your turn.

Chariot

Chapter 7 isn't THAT hard. I got an A first try with only a small amount of save scumming. Beginning part is pretty easy with the tank turrets, use 1 lancer shot + 1 eldelweiss shot. Sniper/Scout can cleanup most of the foot soldiers.

Later, If you shoot down the big rocks the Tank is forced to use its big cannon on it. Engineers restock Lancers so you can take down the radiator in one turn without using the grenade trick. Selvaria's interception can be stropped by putting the Eldelweiss in front of her so she cant hit. Hide your units and only take them out of cover on your turn.
The problem with chapter 7 is knowing. There are a lot of things you can't know beforehand and are difficult to operate with.
First of all radiators. I had first to learn how to pull them up until then I tried way of attacking them and wondering what weapon would work. Then of course Selvaria's appearance and battle behaviour. Also during deployment you don't know much about the enemy and how he is deployed.

Raider745

I don't know if they have changed the settings on the PC from the PS3 version but Selvaria cannot damage the Edelweiss with her lance cannon. This might help if anyone still has issues with Chapter 7.

Unai

I was so luck that the left radiator was the first one I got rid of. My Enginner destroyed the right and last one quite easily.

I did managed to beat chapter 7, but it was a chore to figure out. I'm all for games like this throwing curveballs but
Selvaria's spawning
required way too much foreknowledge that you are expected to have compared to the previous missions. I probably wasted at least half an hour on that mission learning what to do.

Luckily I found out about chucking grenades in the radiators on my own. Saved me probably even more time.

Durante

After all that I see the rank A, so yeah, this was all very satisfying.
3LIIyKp.png
Figuring it out was pretty fun, I'm happy I didn't know anything about the mission beforehand.
I really think that's the best way to play the game the first time around.

Meanwhile, I'm also having a surprising amount of fun seeing just how much I can cheese every mission (while still killing all the aces) on PC (with DLC weapons).

Chariot

lol, just tried to play Edy's Detachement. First time I had to actually use Susie and it was terrible. She is such a hypocrite.

I was like "Yo, attack that mad fool there. He wanna hurt our peasants."
And she then: "Naw, man. I ain't no shooting on humans. Humanitarian, bitch."
I threw the hands in the air, because that was a cp wasted for nagging and calling me a bitch. But ok, I made the rest of my round, with my brothers and sisters who were actually useful. And then the enemy turn happened.
The guy Susie should've attacked of course tried to off her now. He shot at her, barely hitting. I think the wall next to her took more damage then she did. But suddenly she was all mad. She gave the red soldier the bird and started to running her mouth so hard a tank exploded.
"Oh, it is on, bitch! Ya gonna take a shot at this crib, it's one thing, ya take a shot on me? I'm gonna shoot you until you ain't looking like no human no more! And then I kill your friends with the sharpened spine of your mother who I will bash the head in with your head, motherfucker!"
And then she offed him and wounded two others harshly who made the mistake of coming near her, until a tank driver panicked and shot a mortar at her.

I still lost the mission. Because my people turn around to the other side, while some enemy just strolls in from behind. It's really unnerving. But probably Susie's fault too.

Wavebossa

Didn't play in the past few days and got back to it today. I wasn't aiming for a high rank since I decided to leave that for NG+, but I just got my first A on

NG+? There's a new game plus? This is pretty much the first game i've bought that I've known nothing about. I'm learning new things everyday!

Seanspeed

Banned
I've had fun with the game, but I think I might be done. Its just too frustrating to spend 30 minutes in a battle and then have something go wrong and its all over. Yes, its nice to learn what not to do and all, but its way too much time wasted to teach me that lesson. I don't have the patience to re-do all that shit again and again.

Again, its a good game, not trying to bash it or anything. But I don't think I have the patience for it.

Wavebossa

Again, its a good game, not trying to bash it or anything. But I don't think I have the patience for it.

Was exactly my first impression. I was kinda ready to stop too but 2 things completely changed my view of the game.

)Saving mid fight (had no idea i could)
)Not using all my CP

I kept using all my CP and going all out when honestly sometimes the best thing to do is... wait. I dont have alot of patience either, but I had to exercise some for this to be a fun experience.

Raider745

I've had fun with the game, but I think I might be done. Its just too frustrating to spend 30 minutes in a battle and then have something go wrong and its all over. Yes, its nice to learn what not to do and all, but its way too much time wasted to teach me that lesson. I don't have the patience to re-do all that shit again and again.

Can you not save the game after every turn? I did that on the PS3 version so I wouldn't lose progress if something bad happened.

Seanspeed

Banned
Was exactly my first impression. I was kinda ready to stop too but 2 things completely changed my view of the game.

)Saving mid fight (had no idea i could)
)Not using all my CP

I kept using all my CP and going all out when honestly sometimes the best thing to do is... wait. I dont have alot of patience either, but I had to exercise some for this to be a fun experience.

Can you not save the game after every turn? I did that on the PS3 version so I wouldn't lose progress if something bad happened.
Saving after every turn is great, but its often the planning stages of my actions where things have gone wrong, not just a single error in a turn, ya know? Like this battle I was just doing with the rail tank thing - everybody except Engineers and Scouts(and my tank) were simply too fucking useless with their minimal AP that I eventually just left them back. Everything was going fine, took out the first bridge, but then after crossing to the east side of the map with a couple scounts and Engineer(cuz my tank was sitting back still trying to take out the barricade things), I got ambushed by several elite shocktroopers and scouts, some of which had this gas attack that devastated my guys. Basically, I messed my entire plan of action up cuz I didn't know what I was going up against. That is a bit of criticism against the game, cuz it often just throws things at you unexpectedly and if you're not prepared for it, then you're fucked, but either way, it was a fundamental strategy that I got wrong, not any specific turn of action.

Its just happening too much. I can deal with a setback here and there but I'm feeling now like I could be playing something else that isn't going to keep punishing me and making me re-do long battles.

petran79

Banned
After completing the DLCs I'll play the game mainly for the skirmish battles in hard or expert. Not interested in replaying the game for A-ranks. With so many high leveled troops and equipment it would be cheating. Reached chapter 6 so all of the crew could be unlocked. Now I'll play the game once a week for every skirmish mission. 50 hours in less than a week for a game is something I havent done for years though!

Kudos to the developers. Very good game!

Concerning the DLCs I found Eddy's detachment actually more difficult than the second. Because you were much more limited. While in the second you could just breeze though with the Valkyrie and the Ruhm. Died more times in the first DLC.

One more turn and almost the entire team I had in the mission would have died permanently.

After all that I see the rank A, so yeah, this was all very satisfying. Figuring it out was pretty fun, I'm happy I didn't know anything about the mission beforehand.

though I didnt get an A-rank, I finished the game at an even tighter moment. Barely had 1 CP and the tank had just a little HP left. I thought one lancer hit wouldnt suffice but luckily it did. Or else tank would have reached the base in the next turn!

Concerning the DLCs I found Eddy's detachment actually more difficult than the second. Because you were much more limited. While in the second you could just breeze though with the Valkyrie and the Ruhm. Died more times in the first DLC.

It should be noted the Selvaria DLC actually has four maps; unlocking the other two relies on achieving secondary goals and maximum rank.

Durante

After completing the DLCs I'll play the game mainly for the skirmish battles in hard or expert. Not interested in replaying the game for A-ranks. With so many high leveled troops and equipment it would be cheating. Reached chapter 6 so all of the crew could be unlocked. Now I'll play the game once a week for every skirmish mission. 50 hours in less than a week for a game is something I havent done for years though!

Kudos to the developers. Very good game!
The Hard Ex DLCs are pretty fun post-game, because you think you are OP but they can still be challenging.

petran79

Banned
The Hard Ex DLCs are pretty fun post-game, because you think you are OP but they can still be challenging.

they require different tactics since you dont have to capture any base. I think I'll start with those first. Something different for a change!

Chariot

wtf is this shit.

I finally managed to complete Edy's Detachement, but I saved in the battle itself on my most recent slot, since I thought that I don't want to do anything anyways while doing this. And now I can't go back into my normal state since the DLC is is outside the game, I have just overwritten hours and hours of progress?! >_@

edit: yeah, my last other save is from two days ago. What the shit. I mean, ok, the DLCs are accessible outside the game, which is weird as it is, but a warning of any kind would've been nice. I am kinda bummed out now, I don't want to play everything again, especially since everything since was the tedious work of hunting down aces, weapons and getting potentials out of people.

wtf is this shit.

I finally managed to complete Edy's Detachement, but I saved in the battle itself on my most recent slot, since I thought that I don't want to do anything anyways while doing this. And now I can't go back into my normal state since the DLC is is outside the game, I have just overwritten hours and hours of progress?! >_@

edit: yeah, my last other save is from two days ago. What the shit. I mean, ok, the DLCs are accessible outside the game, which is weird as it is, but a warning of any kind would've been nice. I am kinda bummed out now, I don't want to play everything again, especially since everything since was the tedious work of hunting down aces, weapons and getting potentials out of people.

Same thing happened to me a while ago. It actually does warn you in a weird way. It says, "You cannot continue your game through this save." or something like that.

Wavebossa

I'm kinda bummed I cant use Selvaria. For some reason i thought she would be the protag. I want some Valkyrie powerz m8. Like playing Drakengard w/o the dragons :(

Chariot

Same thing happened to me a while ago. It actually does warn you in a weird way. It says, "You cannot continue your game through this save." or something like that.
Man, I wanna smack myself right now. This is so annoying. Why is the DLC so weirdly placed anyways? God! I just want my progress back.

Durante

That's terrible. How far in the game were you? It's not the same obviously, but I have saves in every chapter (well, up to the point I'm at) backed up and could upload one if you want.

Chariot

That's terrible. How far in the game were you? It's not the same obviously, but I have saves in every chapter (well, up to the point I'm at) backed up and could upload one if you want.
I had my second play through finished with everything on A, but that's not the problem. My greatest terror are the weapons and aces. I don't know where I am with my two day old save. I am not yet mentally ready to start the game again.

After the scan tool finished the scan I will activate the windows restore function and I think I will look tomorrow how far I am. Thanks for the offer, I may take it, if I am too far behind.

edit: Luckily I post very frequently here. Judging from my posts yesterday, I am missing my ace and weapon hunt, urgh.

Durante

If it's about completing weapons and aces, I very much doubt I could be of any help, sadly. I'm still far from that point myself.

Falk

that puzzling face
I had my second play through finished with everything on A, but that's not the problem. My greatest terror are the weapons and aces. I don't know where I am with my two day old save. I am not yet mentally ready to start the game again.

After the scan tool finished the scan I will activate the windows restore function and I think I will look tomorrow how far I am. Thanks for the offer, I may take it, if I am too far behind.

edit: Luckily I post very frequently here. Judging from my posts yesterday, I am missing my ace and weapon hunt, urgh.

Apparently the Edy/EX-Hard weapons don't count for the medals/cheevos, or so I'm told.

edit: Yeah, the DLC stuff doesn't count for medals in the PS3 version. I'm going to assume that structure persists on Steam, since the "DLC" actually shows up as DLC under Steam's framework.

Not of much help to you if you're going for those weapons for weapon's sake tho. :(

Chariot

Apparently the Edy/EX-Hard weapons don't count for the medals/cheevos, or so I'm told.
I know, but I was talking about the Royal weapons and ace weapons from the main game. I hunted them all down yesterday. I actually got the achievement already, but it feels hollow and shallow without a savestate to back that medal up.

Oh, despair why are you coming over me and my game save state. And I have me to blame too. Why didn't I stick with the rotation saving. Why, oh why. Two days of gameplay for naught. And here I am sitting, desperately running scanners who take more time than a mission itself.

Falk

that puzzling face
Not gonna lie, using the same save game for 2 days in any situation is scary as shit.

I get terrified of file corruption. Had lightning strike and power outage mid-save once, a long time ago. Gone.

My windows install is somehow horribly fucked. Does anyone know where this game's savefile locations are? I want to do a full reinstall but definitely do not want to lose my saves.

Chariot

Welp, scanners came out empty, lesson learned, Windows File History activated, gonna save in different slots again. Going to crush fools in League of Legends with all my rage and agony now.
My windows install is somehow horribly fucked. Does anyone know where this game's savefile locations are? I want to do a full reinstall but definitely want to lose my saves.
../SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Valkyria Chronicles/savedata/

Or rightclick game in the steam library. Go to "properties", then "Local files" and then "Browse local files..."

Durante

Not gonna lie, using the same save game for 2 days in any situation is scary as shit.

I get terrified of file corruption. Had lightning strike and power outage mid-save once, a long time ago. Gone.
I'm also really paranoid when it comes to saves. I got over 100 VC PC saves stored away already :p

Welp, scanners came out empty, lesson learned, Windows File History activated, gonna save in different slots again. Going to crush fools in League of Legends with all my rage and agony now.../SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Valkyria Chronicles/savedata/

Or rightclick game in the steam library. Go to "properties", then "Local files" and then "Browse local files..."

Thanks. Pretty sure Java gifted me with a virus.

Thanks Java.

TI82

Banned
Gonna have to rebuy this during the steam sale. Never beat it on PS3, such a great game though. A sequel on PS4/PC would be accepted

Durante

I forgot just how wild the
reinforcements
in Chapter 14 are. Actually had to restart the battle to get a decent grade. Shame on me.

sentry65

about no upgrading run:
Are you using royal or ace weapons? You can equip those without upgrading.

I wasn't until I HAD to starting at stage 9 where you have to change your shocktrooper weapon or you run out of turns

Also 2nd to last map needs those ace weapons or you won't have enough turns to win

Nyoro SF

I forgot just how wild the
reinforcements
in Chapter 14 are. Actually had to restart the battle to get a decent grade. Shame on me.

It took me 18 retries and some secondary cash building through extra story missions until I finally figured out a working strategy.

Pure hell. Way worse than Chapter 7 IMO.

Top Bottom