• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Is all the DLC added in the PC version? I was reading about an EX Hard Mode for skirmishes but I only see challenges and easy/normal.

All the DLC is in there but I think you need to beat the game to unlock the harder difficulty levels. Go to Extras at the title screen to play the DLC missions (and maybe turn on EX hard mode after beating the game? Dunno if that's necessary or if it unlock automatically, I'm only on chapter 10 and fuck this chapter).

wmlk

Oh god, the official board on Sega's website for this game, so hilarious.

Some guy declaring this (and every other modern JRPG) to be not RPGs because it doesn't follow the DnD ruleset and doesn't have a custom protagonist.

I think I've seen it all now. VC (As well as every other major JRPG of the past 20 years) is not an RPG because it is not a DnD clone.

Another reason why genre classification just shouldn't exist.

-MD-

Crashed after I first started picking/upgrading my squad in chapter 3. Soon as I went to go back to the book it locked up on me.

Guess I gotta disable the overlay?

Edit: worked after disabling

denx

I just now realized you can save mid-mission.

Well knowing that earlier would had saved a lot of time by not restarting missions from the beginning that's for sure.

Question: which characters you think are the best for each role? (Scout, Shocktrooper, etc.)

I just now realized you can save mid-mission.

Well knowing that earlier would had saved a lot of time by not restarting missions from the beginning that's for sure.

Question: which characters you think are the best for each role? (Scout, Shocktrooper, etc.)

GOAT character: Alicia

Scout: Aika
Shocktrooper : Vyse
Sniper : Marina
Engineers : doesn;t matter
Lancer : Audrey or even Largo since deploying him gives you CP.

Honestly my Lancers were useless towards the end....replaced by scouts and shocktroopers.

Sectus

Oh god, the official board on Sega's website for this game, so hilarious.

Some guy declaring this (and every other modern JRPG) to be not RPGs because it doesn't follow the DnD ruleset and doesn't have a custom protagonist.

I think I've seen it all now. VC (As well as every other major JRPG of the past 20 years) is not an RPG because it is not a DnD clone.

That guy is silly, but it reminds me that VC seems to be confusing quite a few people as to which genre it falls into. I've seen several people be disappointed by the game because they expected it to be more like a JRPG.

I can't really blame people. If you look at the store page for the game, there's few hints that it's primarily a strategy game above anything else. And it doesn't help that two of the most popular tags for the game are RPG and JRPG. It's a good thing steam added user reviews on store pages as they're doing the best job explaining what the game is.

Durante

That guy is silly, but it reminds me that VC seems to be confusing quite a few people as to which genre it falls into. I've seen several people be disappointed by the game because they expected it to be more like a JRPG.

I can't really blame people. If you look at the store page for the game, there's few hints that it's primarily a strategy game above anything else. And it doesn't help that two of the most popular tags for the game are RPG and JRPG. It's a good thing steam added user reviews on store pages as they're doing the best job explaining what the game is.
"Strategy" is the second most popular tag for the game though. However, what Sega could do to eliminate most doubt is add a map screenshot to the set of screenshots.

Still, even without that, it doesn't seem like too many people are disappointed, considering the game sits at 97% positive reviews.

Giran

You'll know a country is heavily militarized when their highschool opened up a driving course for military heavy vehicle.

Seriously. Poor imp footsoldiers just try not to get hunted down for deserting or court martialed for disobeying orders. Gallians enjoy murder, they revel in it, they shout 'Yipee!" or do little victory dances as they slaughter people. You don't see the imps doing that. They just try to make it through the horrors of war and go back to their loving families. But no, poor bastards had to get sent to Gallia, to those bloodthirsty psychopats. No wonder the Empire lost despite their vast strategic advantage.

Not a story spoiler

Damnit, I didn't read the Objective on Chapter 10's first mission very clearly and had managed to run Aika past both tanks using the miracle of Order: Defense Boost playing at 60fps only to find that when she got there the mission didn't end. I have to get Welkin and his dumb-ass tank to the objective spot. Sure would be nice if Welkin could just get out of the stupid tank and run there himself.

Seriously. Poor imp footsoldiers just try not to get hunted down for deserting or court martialed for disobeying orders. Gallians enjoy murder, they revel in it, they shout 'Yipee!" or do little victory dances as they slaughter people. You don't see the imps doing that. They just try to make it through the horrors of war and go back to their loving families. But no, poor bastards had to get sent to Gallia, to those bloodthirsty psychopats. No wonder the Empire lost despite their vast strategic advantage.

Alicia's little celebration fist-pump after she blasts 5 rifle rounds straight into an Imp's head is so goddamn cute though :3

xBladeM6x

VNSFTo9.jpg

Sectus

"Strategy" is the second most popular tag for the game though. However, what Sega could do to eliminate most doubt is add a map screenshot to the set of screenshots.

Still, even without that, it doesn't seem like too many people are disappointed, considering the game sits at 97% positive reviews.

Yeah, it probably isn't a big deal. I just usually don't see anyone be confused about a game's genre. But maybe it actually works in the game's favour. Maybe this game works as a gateway for some people who usually wouldn't be interested in strategy games.

Bombless

You just made me laugh to tears, good sir. Bravo.

Chariot

Hahaha, nice!
We need an extra chapter where an devastated Imp soldier comes home and tells the story of the demons of Gallia that slaughtered his entire squad while laughing. Supernatural humans that plainly walk through crossfire, a woman that is able to move through an entire desert area before anyone else can move, snipers and lancers that can pull out munition from their asses and a pig with wings. A fucking pig with wings.

Falk

that puzzling face

IIIIII HIT HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD

Haha,
but the more I think about it, it's people from "Gallia" against an empire...

RzPWf9l.jpg

Shengar

You know why the Federation did not interfere when Imperial invaded Gallia? Well, they afraid of Gallia too and hoped they can get their share on the resources later on the either weakened Gallia or Imperial.

xBladeM6x

VC1 & 2 Spoilers and my frustration with the story's continuity:
In VC2, the soldiers talk about the Valkyria as if they're just myth, and that there's no evidence for their existence, as well as continuing to blame the Darcsen for what happened, when it was really the Valkyria's fault. How is it that VC2 only takes place 2 years later, Alicia makes an appearance in it, there's an archaeological Valkyria temple in Barious that clearly lays out what happened, at least hundreds if not thousands of people saw Selvaria and Alicia use their powers, and yet everyone acts as if none of this happened.

Falk

that puzzling face
VC1 & 2 Spoilers and my frustration with the story's continuity:
In VC2, the soldiers talk about the Valkyria as if they're just myth, and that there's no evidence for their existence, as well as continuing to blame the Darcsen for what happened, when it was really the Valkyria's fault. How is it that VC2 only takes place 2 years later, Alicia makes an appearance in it, there's an archaeological Valkyria temple in Barious that clearly lays out what happened, at least hundreds if not thousands of people saw Selvaria and Alicia use their powers, and yet everyone acts as if none of this happened.

Yeah, it's kinda silly, but playing devil's advocate,
most of the people who saw the Valkyria other than Squad 7 are ded (lol), and a lot of the rest can be chalked up to battlefield trauma and fog of war. Also the only people who went inside Barious ruins are Max (ded), Selvaria (ded), Faldio (ded), Alicia and Welkin (who may not want to talk about it)
. Going with my "you're experiencing Gallian Front through Ellet's eyes" theory of the game's framing though, you wonder how all that made it into the book. Heh.

Durante

This makes a lot of sense actually.

Maybe we should look at the whole war from a different perspective.
Gallia Ops: The Line

xBladeM6x

This makes a lot of sense actually.

Maybe we should look at the whole war from a different perspective.
Gallia Ops: The Line

The Behind Her Blue Flame DLC
almost makes the Gallians out to seem like the bad guys anyways. Perhaps the narrative we have been fed by SEGA has been Gallian propaganda this whole time.

Chariot

Yeah, it's kinda silly, but playing devil's advocate,
most of the people who saw the Valkyria other than Squad 7 are ded (lol), and a lot of the rest can be chalked up to battlefield trauma and fog of war. Also the only people who went inside Barious ruins are Max (ded), Selvaria (ded), Faldio (ded), Alicia and Welkin (who may not want to talk about it)
. Going with my "you're experiencing Gallian Front through Ellet's eyes" theory of the game's framing though, you wonder how all that made it into the book. Heh.
Eh, Selvaria was running all over Naggiar where literally both sides had as much soldiers pilled up as they could and then she even ahd a duel with Alicia in front of everyone. This surely can't go unnoticed.

Also I don't know if anyone even wanted to publish Ellets collected war reports.

"And then Squad 7's second in command turned into a ancient war machine and punched the empires glow girl."
"Ms. Ellet, I know you love this squad, but aren't you trying too hard right now?"
"No, no, no! And then they took Ghirlandaio back, but then glow girl exploded!"
"Ms. Ellet..."
"Following that Alicia threw a magic lance throw a giant ship that sailed on land, but the empire took a castle tower that was actually a giant magic lance and put it on the ship and then squad 7 fought science magic pretty boy on the ship and then Faldia came, hugged him and both exploded."
"Ok, we're done here. Thank you for your time."
"Wait, I didn't tell you about the one time the squad took Bruhl back ten times in a row to get paid enough money by the military to buy my beach report!"

Falk

that puzzling face
The Behind Her Blue Flame DLC
almost makes the Gallians out to seem like the bad guys anyways. Perhaps the narrative we have been fed by SEGA has been Gallian propaganda this whole time.

They just wanted to unseat the Darcsen royal line because they knew the truth.

cpooi

The Gallian Front was supposed to be only a small chapter in EWII.

Would be cool if they made a Federation VS Empire parallel story as the next game in the series, and make the battles really large scale.
Like in the cutscene where Selvaria trashed all the tanks.

Would be cool to have all tank battles as well.

xBladeM6x

They just wanted to unseat the Darcsen royal line because they knew the truth.

Those clever bastards.

Would be cool if they made a Federation VS Empire parallel story as the next game in the series, and make the battles really large scale.

Would be interesting to see a VC themed RTS. Quick, someone go reskin C&C RA2 with a VC theme.

Chariot

They could take the idea of multiple maps from VC2 and make them actually different locations instead of parts of the same map. Urban warfare through houses would also nice. And regarding battlefields: a actual battlefield where both sides are AI and you are actually a small strike team, trying not to get hit in the crossfire and do their goals.

We need also enemy aces with potentials, unique models and lore. Just imagine if you could play a small mission for every ace. Seeing into who you killed. Bad people, good people, what they lost and what they never get again.
Sega owns Relic Entertainment now... Company of heroes styled VC RTS!
Oh my god, that would be so great!

TaroYamada

Does anybody else feel tank controls are slightly off even disregarding the FPS situation? I haven't looked inside the config tool in a while so maybe I can play with the controls there.

Falk

that puzzling face
Funny part is, aside from inclines, tank controls are fine at 60fps.

30fps It turns into a jittery mess where tanks attempt to vibrate back and forth and then spin really hard without going anywhere while your AP depletes like 3x as fast as it would when you were actually moving.

essentially
30fps: input is messed up
60fps: physics are messed up

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chariot

Does anybody else feel tank controls are slightly off even disregarding the FPS situation? I haven't looked inside the config tool in a while so maybe I can play with the controls there.
I have trouble turning tanks around. Sometimes it's super slow (I guess this is mini ledges) and in the case of the Shamrock it's awfully fast and in the wrong direction.

TaroYamada

When I go to gamepad the issues disappear. I also have jittery tank at both 60 FPS and 30 FPS. For a while I figured my issues were 60 FPS related but having screwed around more it appears to occur at 30 FPS as well.

Durante

I've... never moved the Shamrock even once. And only used the Edelweiss rarely (mostly when you have to move it, and in the Chapter 7 mission) . In those I haven't encoutnered any control issues (on M/KB).

Volodja

I've... never moved the Shamrock even once. And only used the Edelweiss rarely (mostly when you have to move it, and in the Chapter 7 mission) . In those I haven't encoutnered any control issues (on M/KB).
Same for the Shamrock (well, I did move him in the Maiden's Shield mission), but I used the Edelweiss quite a bit, it was pretty much my Boss killer in the final fight as well (mortar only basically).
But then again it's pretty clear that I was deprived of a class the whole game. I don't even wanna know how much damage my Shocktroopers were actually supposed to do to Maximillian in reality while in my game they did close to nothing.

Falk

that puzzling face
I have trouble turning tanks around. Sometimes it's super slow (I guess this is mini ledges) and in the case of the Shamrock it's awfully fast and in the wrong direction.

I tend to have this. Not really a problem, just more of an annoyance.

When I go to gamepad the issues disappear. I also have jittery tank at both 60 FPS and 30 FPS. For a while I figured my issues were 60 FPS related but having screwed around more it appears to occur at 30 FPS as well.

Meanwhile the Empire is having problems of their own

Top Bottom