• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Finalow

finally starting this.

I don't remember too much from the ps3 version so uhm, are there any missables? I'd like to get them in the first run if possibile.

also, is this just me or cutscenes look pretty bad.

Durante

I don't remember too much from the ps3 version so uhm, are there any missables? I'd like to get them in the first run if possibile.
Yes. There are enemy aces on many maps who drop unique weapons when defeated.

The (non-cinematic, but also not talking head) cutscenes were rendered in-engine at PS3 quality, and they are the same quality on PC. Which looks very jarring compared to the much (depending on your resolution) higher quality realtime rendered game itself.

Finished Chapter 10.

Welp. Saw that plot element coming a mile away.

You know, I can count the amount of Japanese games that explore fantastical racism with one hand. Not that many games in general explore it beyond the typical elf/dwarf/were-human hate you see in western RPGs.

Chariot

finally starting this.

You can repeat everything as often as you like again in NG+, so don't worry about missed stuff. You can get it later.

--

So I looked at the damage. 4 ace weapons and the 30er royals, as well as the last three missions are missing. Can't say how many activated potentials were lost, but I am missing Lynn and Emile, so there's a bit of work. All in all not that bad, I can easily lame myself through the last missions and with the save and load idea the 30s weapons are no problem either. I had not played any hard or Ex Skirmish yet, so the easy and normal obce are not that big of a loss either.

But good lord, the rage I felt and that is still pumping my heart right now.

Finalow

Yes. There are enemy aces on many maps who drop unique weapons when defeated.

The (non-cinematic, but also not talking head) cutscenes were rendered in-engine at PS3 quality, and they are the same quality on PC. Which looks very jarring compared to the much (depending on your resolution) higher quality realtime rendered game itself.
well but I could just play those maps again until I get the drop, couldn't I. I mean those aren't technically missables, if that's the case. :c

You can repeat everything as often as you like again in NG+, so don't worry about missed stuff. You can get it later.
ok then, I won't bother.

I see. I noticed that the 'talking heads' cutscenes are looking really good, yeah.

Chariot

well but I could just play those maps again until I get the drop, couldn't I. I mean those aren't technically missables, if that's the case. :c
When you kill a named enemy ace you will get the weapon every time. Only the royal weapons have some random drop factor. You get to see them when you met the archduke and everytime you finish later missions on rank A.

sfried

Updated my VCtool. Fixed support for textures in some MLX files.

Download: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/VCtool.rar
Download source: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/source/VCtool.rar

Usage:
- Drag'n'drop files onto the extract.bat and replace.bat batch files in Windows explorer.
OR
- Use it in command prompt (ie, "vctool -x valcA02aD_h.mlx" to extract, "vctool -r valcA02aD_h.mlx" to replace)

This is probably the final version of the tool, unless I discover something is not working.
Is there any instruction as to how to use it to replace the button prompts with the ones I want? (i.e. cutsom Wii U Pro controller ones)

Sectus

Is there any instruction as to how to use it to replace the button prompts with the ones I want? (i.e. cutsom Wii U Pro controller ones)

Drag and drop Valkyria.exe onto extract.bat, fiddle with DDS files, and then drag'n'drop Valkyria.exe onto replace.bat

Wavebossa

Ok who here has done Jann's Challenge? I cant seem to do it. I watched a vid of it being done, but that 1 shot every single tank.

I have level 13 Lancers. But I was able to do the scout challenge with level 1 scouts and shocktrooper challenege with level 2 shocktroopers. This one is just kicking my asss soooooooooooo hard.

Any tips on how to 1 shot everything like all the youtube videos I see?

So I was scared shitless about chapter 7 hearing all the things people said about it, I tried not to read the spoiler tag but I read the nightmares people were having.

I got finally to that chapter and...
I blew it from one go. I even got nearly an A rank (only one turn dammit).

Or I just got amazing luck (thank god for once), or I truly fought damn god this time (had more problems with other chapters before 7). No casualties whatsoever, and only with a lancer (Largo) something that surprised me, because when I saw the huge tank the first thing that came to my head was FUCK maybe I had to deploy more lancers. But my snipers got the enemy sniper and lancer on the first turn and the rest of the foot soldiers died by themeselves trying to get down the hill while Vyse and Aika where waiting in the trench. I didnt even had to move them lol
When
the game says to stop the tank by exploding the walls I did that with my mechanic (granades) and Largo in one turn, while I put on the base all the characters I didnt need anymore.
Then Selvaria came and I shit my pants again, but then I saw the soldiers only moved and didnt attack (was coverd by some walls) so I deployed my two snipers from the back base and started killing everyone while I moved my tank as a shield for the mechanic. I also seem to have an inmense luck of damaging first the side of the tank where Selvaria stays all the time when she appears.
If I had moved the tak in one of the turns (I put him behind the enemy tank so instead of movint he just shoot) I would probably had gotten a A rank.

Pretty happy of the outcome, this game is great.

tenton

Ok who here has done Jann's Challenge? I cant seem to do it. I watched a vid of it being done, but that 1 shot every single tank.

I have level 13 Lancers. But I was able to do the scout challenge with level 1 scouts and shocktrooper challenege with level 2 shocktroopers. This one is just kicking my asss soooooooooooo hard.

Get the Theimer M20R royal lances? That's probably what the 1 shot videos are using for their lances.

sfried

Drag and drop Valkyria.exe onto extract.bat, fiddle with DDS files, and then drag'n'drop Valkyria.exe onto replace.bat
Should I place extract.bat and replace.bat on thesame folder as VC? It doesn't seem to be working.

Also, you mentioned something about backing up VC before doing so.

Edit: Also, is there also a button template we can use? I was planning on just editing the preexisting XInput or PS3 button layout file with an image editor.

Krabboss

Finished Chapter 10.

Welp. Saw that plot element coming a mile away.

You know, I can count the amount of Japanese games that explore fantastical racism with one hand. Not that many games in general explore it beyond the typical elf/dwarf/were-human hate you see in western RPGs.

All I remember about VC was that the plot was very predictable and the characters weren't great. I don't really remember any specifics though since it's been a while.

Sectus

Should I place extract.bat and replace.bat on thesame folder as VC? It doesn't seem to be working.

Also, you mentioned something about backing up VC before doing so.

Edit: Also, is there also a button template we can use? I was planning on just editing the preexisting XInput or PS3 button layout file with an image editor.

I'd recommend having this in its own directory, so you don't make the install directory messy.

Here's a more detailed step by step guide:
- Extract vctool.rar into any directory (all 3 files from the rar needs to be in the same directory)
- Copy Valkyria.exe to same directory
- Drag'n'drop Valkyria.exe onto extract.bat
- This should create a new directory called Valkyria with a bunch of DDS files. Easiest way to edit these would be to use Photoshop with the official nvidia DDS plugin. (remember that the DDS files you save needs to be the exact same format. I can't remember the name of it, but it should be raw RGBA 8/8/8/8)
- After editing the DDS files, drag'n'drop the Valkyria.exe onto replace.bat and it should have updated the executable with the new DDS files.
- Replace the actual executable (I recommend making a back up) with this modified one and you should have new button icons.

baterism

Jann's challenge is pretty hard. You might be better leveling up your squad some more. I think I did that with squad around 8-9, Alice with kickass weapon from Scout challenge, and a lot of save scumming. And keep in mind that someone need to be always on the base or enemy scout will sneak in and capture the base.

xBladeM6x

Beat the game in NG+ but I have a gripe.
You can't clear the "Epilogue" without it trying to prompt you into NG++. Essentially, the Epilogue videos will always be labeled as "new."

Falk

that puzzling face
hcVkAUZ.jpg

Ok I'm done.

(Game also crashed when exiting lol)

edit: Where's my secret Varott DLC

Chariot

Ok I'm done.

(Game also crashed when exiting lol)
Holy shit, respect! You're the man.

There's only one mission I haven't completed at all. It's the
Welkin Flower mission. I tried it a couple times in NG, and got stomped. Lol
Use a lot of Shocks, send one to the west, there are two in the grass, the rest with Largo to the east. Interceptionfire and flamethrowers are your best friends in this mission.

edit: I finally regained almost everything I lost. Only potentials and Emile missing.

edit2: I got the personnel achievement. 150 dead Imps left until I get the golden arms of gallia and the splintered Horn is made very quick. The real enemy is now the Randgriz Crest of Honor. I'm already scared :(

Chariot

Beat the game in NG+ but I have a gripe.
You can't clear the "Epilogue" without it trying to prompt you into NG++. Essentially, the Epilogue videos will always be labeled as "new."
I know your feel, I am currently at my third run, because I had to watch the epilogue and go to NG++ to fill my personnel entries. On the bright side this is a good opportunity to feed Cezary to the Maidens Shield.

baterism

Sooo... I've done my first run on the game. It was good.
Pretty good. I'm pretty satisfied, I love happy ending. I'm tired of serious and edgy stuffs.
This game reminds me of all good stuffs from yesteryear during the golden age of RPG. Thanks Sega. More like this please.

I think I will do second run next year. Good stuff better wait.

Falk

that puzzling face
I think the floodgates for mod interest are only going to truly open when either one of two things happen:

- level format gets researched
- character model format (esp. bones) get researched

What are the consequences if (midgame character spoilers)
Zaka
dies? I've accidently saved myself in a position where either he or Welkin dies, so I either let him die or have to restart the mission. When he dies, it says "
Zaka
has retreated". Does that mean I can still use him after this mission? Or will he only show up in cutscenes, but I won't be able to deploy him?

Vashzaron

I think the floodgates for mod interest are only going to truly open when either one of two things happen:

- level format gets researched
- character model format (esp. bones) get researched

By level format do you mean the geometry or how the game places units, etc?

The later is mostly known as I linked above. Though that's through save files. I understand it'd potentially be better / cleaner to do it via editing the level's files it self but knowledge on those is currently at 0 and I don't know if or when those will get researched. Meanwhile doing it through saves is already possible yet it takes a rare kind of dedication to do that purely through a hex editor.

What are the consequences if (midgame character spoilers)
Zaka
dies? I've accidently saved myself in a position where either he or Welkin dies, so I either let him die or have to restart the mission. When he dies, it says "
Zaka
has retreated". Does that mean I can still use him after this mission? Or will he only show up in cutscenes, but I won't be able to deploy him?

He retreats like all other leader units, you can use him again after your battle is done.

Falk

that puzzling face
By level format do you mean the geometry or how the game places units, etc?

Geometry and placement both. I guess it's more of a convenience thing as well - being able to select a custom level out of the book rather than messing with saves (which you might overwrite (HEHEHEH Chariot)) would probably hook interest in a larger group of people.

Vashzaron

Yeah that's understandable. I'm just pushing to see it happen in some form whatever it may be. I'd be disappointed on the scenario that nothing happens at all instead.

Chariot

Gotta ask. Anyone with programming knowledge here have any interest in streamlining this? (Spoilers)

I mainly ask because it practically gives the possibility for people to make full custom missions. Just that purely doing that through a hex editor is a damming inconvenience that I'm sure turns off 99% people from even trying.
Man, that would be so nice.
Is there a way of asking SEGA directly for some kind of mod support? The game could greatly benefit from it. Although I have of course no idea how much work that would be.

(which you might overwrite (HEHEHEH Chariot))
Too soon! ;___;

--

I am now close to Falk. 19 of 20 achievements, with now my third story run. What is missing is of course the A rank on every mission. While I fixed my poor Fouzen run in my third playthrough, I have still a lot of Skirmishes to beat. And I am already scared of Ex, after I took a short peek into the first missions Hard mode.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Geez, getting the S-rank for the final battle was a nailbiter.

Rosie and Vyse mowing down the towers each other turn while whitting Max down

Now to mop up the Aces and S-ranks I missed.

baterism

Geez, getting the S-rank for the final battle was a nailbiter.

Rosie and Vyse mowing down the towers each other turn while whitting Max down

Now to mop up the Aces and S-ranks I missed.

Shocktroop paradise

I turned off tower with Catherine + AT rifle from DLC challenge. Then order Neutralize to Rossie. Rossie move to point blank, then Max simply didn't have a chance. I just realized it on turn 5 or 6. I guess it is possible to use that technique to finish Max in 1-2 turns. I haven't tried it btw.

Edit: have tested it sorta, so, yeah, I think 4-5 CP is enough for Rossie to mow down Max. Provided she doesn't get killed when running toward him.

Sectus

I think that's all technical issues except for interception fire. Considering they did fix tank movement at high framerate, I'm surprised they didn't do anything with interception fire. But well, maybe they saw Durante's thread on steam forums and agreed it shouldn't be "fixed."

Chariot

I think that's all technical issues except for interception fire. Considering they did fix tank movement at high framerate, I'm surprised they didn't do anything with interception fire. But well, maybe they saw Durante's thread on steam forums and agreed it shouldn't be "fixed."
Mhm, but in that case they should've made it the same for everybody. Isn't it even worse on 120fps? I think it would be important that everyone has the same experience be it in the new speed or the old PS3 one. Having to depend on the fps for that is a bit silly.

I presume they didn't see that, since it's relatively subtle.

xBladeM6x

Unfortunately, the Edelweiss still can't make it up the trenches in the Naggiar skirmish @ 60 FPS, however the Shamrock just barely can. Although the fixed Audio levels are great. :D

Sectus

Just tested the patch. The fixed audio levels is REALLY nice. I kinda wish I had waited with playing the game until now. No more insanely loud radio chatter. Gun shots are now correct volume. Sound in general sounds so much better now. I think it also fixed some audio pitch issues. I can remember Alicia at the start of chapter 3 (where she explains that you have to defend the gate) sounded weird, but it sounds normal now.

I personally use gamepad, but I quickly checked out mouse in tactical map and it's a lot better than before.

Also, to anyone using my PS3 button mod, you'll have to run VCPS3buttons.exe once after installing the patch. That'll modify the new executable for it use PS3 button textures again.

misho8723

Banned
I don't know why but sometimes when I'm playing, the framerate in battles goes from 60 fps to 30 and everything slows down.. it's really annoying.. has anybody else had this same problem?

xBladeM6x

I don't know why but sometimes when I'm playing, the framerate in battles goes from 60 fps to 30 and everything slows down.. it's really annoying.. has anybody else had this same problem?

It's the in-game Vsync. Try turning it off, and forcing Triple Buffering + Vsync in you GPU's control panel.

Giran

It's still beyond me why the mouse for the tank doesn't function the same way it does for infantry, i.e. move camera when standing still, change direction when moving. Having to use the numerical keys or target mode to look around is annoying.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I've been taking it slow and still on chapter 9 so the audio patch for radio chatter is much welcome. Curious that they touched on the tank framerate issue but not the interception fire though.

Top Bottom