• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Tizoc

I like how fast SEGA are with their work on patching any issues with the game, makes any future release they make from their Japanese developed games really positive.

Durante

I like how fast SEGA are with their work on patching any issues with the game, makes any future release they make from their Japanese developed games really positive.
They managed to release the game and patch it twice in the time it took for S-E to announce that they are working on a patch for FF13 :p

Also, to anyone using my PS3 button mod, you'll have to run VCPS3buttons.exe once after installing the patch. That'll modify the new executable for it use PS3 button textures again.

Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason this is a binary modification and not a texture replacement in GeDoSaTo? Does the latter method not work, or does the generic plugin not have the texture override feature?

Durante

I guess they intend to keep the firerate relative to framerate? Kind of a bummer for people playing in 100+ fps.
I wouldn't say so just based on this, it could simply be harder to fix.

What I hope isn't the case is that they got some "political" issues with fixing it to any other rate than it was on PS3, or even allowing the option to do so.

Knurek

Someone in the Steam thread mentioned the patch wiped out his savegames...
Anyone else experiencing that? I haven't backed them up yet, wouldn't want to go through first 11 chapters again. :\

Does someone can explain me why Steam wiped out all my Valkyria Chronicles files?
I have 620 GB left on my hdd.

Chariot

Anyone else experiencing that? I haven't backed them up yet, wouldn't want to go through first 11 chapters again. :
Do you mean the DLC guy? He just did the same thing like me two days ago, only even more terrible since he apparently only used on saveslot at all.

Sectus

Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason this is a binary modification and not a texture replacement in GeDoSaTo? Does the latter method not work, or does the generic plugin not have the texture override feature?

Well, first of all, I'm not a big fan of relying on tools which replaces textures in memory, I prefer modding game files. It means one less dependency for the mod.

The game itself uses a system which is actually similar to GeDoSaTo for replacing textures in the game. I think it calculates the hash of loaded textures, and then replaces specific textures. What my mod does is tamper with that process, so the game fails to find various UI textures it wants to replace, forcing the original PS3 button prompts to appear.

I could mod the new button prompts directly. This would have the advantage that I know every single button prompt would be correctly replaced, but I like the original PS3 system where it has unique prompts for certain screens. For instance, the icons for R1/L1 in book mode are different than R1/L1 icons shown while controlling a unit. And also, since the new button icons are stored in Valkyria.exe, the executable would have to be modified either way.

My mod isn't perfect (it'll show 360 icons in save screen, and there's a couple of rare screens where it might show X/O swapped), but I think it works well enough.

misho8723

Banned
WTF ? The tank dosn't have any radiators to destroy.. is this a bug ? Now I don't have any chance to destroy the tank

Lhib.png

Mhib.png

WTF ? The tank dosn't have any radiators to destroy.. is this a bug ? Now I don't have any chance to destroy the tank

Lhib.png

Mhib.png

There are 3 blue walls you have to destroy with your tank or your lancers and let the enemy tank advance to those. He will shoot one of those walls and his radiators will be visible and you can attack them.

Falk

that puzzling face
I wouldn't say so just based on this, it could simply be harder to fix.

What I hope isn't the case is that they got some "political" issues with fixing it to any other rate than it was on PS3, or even allowing the option to do so.

Being a mechanics rather than technical issue actually might be the cause of it taking longer, so maybe the fact that it wasn't outright changed back to 30fps values is a good sign. It probably takes time for a team of 4 people to get correspondence going with the original dev team regarding a fundamental change like this, point to/summarize feedback/discussion/etc. especially if translation/language is a factor.

(Of course, I'm just talking out of my ass here)

In other news I got something good coming up within today or so.

Giran

Anyone else experiencing that? I haven't backed them up yet, wouldn't want to go through first 11 chapters again. :\

Yesterday I booted up the game and my saves were gone. I checked the save folder and for some reason the game created a brand new profile next to the old one. I just deleted the new folder and then it worked like a charm.

I think that's all technical issues except for interception fire. Considering they did fix tank movement at high framerate, I'm surprised they didn't do anything with interception fire. But well, maybe they saw Durante's thread on steam forums and agreed it shouldn't be "fixed."

What did Durante write?

Durante

Understandable. I object to that kind of playstyle anyway but interception fire shouldn't be tied to framerate in the first place.
Yeah, I also wrote that.

My post had two points:
  1. It shouldn't be tied to framerate.
  2. The additional interception fire has some intriguing balance implications, which many would probably call positive overall, so it would be a shame to just lose it in a patch.
Ideally, I'd like an option for both the "30 FPS rate" and the "60 FPS rate", called something like "original" and "rebalanced". And both independent of the actual framerate of course.

Chariot

Awwww, yes. My Valkyira Chronicles Design Archive Artbook arrived today and by god is that thing fat and beautiful. I am sad that most sidecharacters of Squad 7 only got a third of a page (except for Oscar and Emile who got three pages for themselves. wtf), but the little comments to everyone are nice. And so many interesting infos in what was and what could have been.

I especially liked the part where they thought about fan service in the form of short skirts on the female scouts but decided against it, because that would've been stupid (albeit I need to still read the dedicated pages about Alicia and Rosie and if they say anything about them wearing skirts :p).

That webm comparison seems to be down, so is it the actual interception rate of fire that is increased or is it the startup to interception that has decreased with higher frame rates?

Awwww, yes. My Valkyira Chronicles Design Archive Artbook arrived today and by god is that thing fat and beautiful. I am sad that most sidecharacters of Squad 7 only got a third of a page (except for Oscar and Emile who got three pages for themselves. wtf), but the little comments to everyone are nice. And so many interesting infos in what was and what could have been.

I especially liked the part where they thought about fan service in the form of short skirts on the female scouts but decided against it, because that would've been stupid (albeit I need to still read the dedicated pages about Alicia and Rosie and if they say anything about them wearing skirts :p).

But then they had to shit up the series with VC2. Just look at the difference between both game's respective artbook covers and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: On a PC now so I can show what I'm talking about.

Here's the cover of VC1's artbook:

And the VC2's artbook cover:

I just... I only been exposed to this series for a week and it's bugging me how it looks like they shit the bed with the sequel. It's just dumb as fuck that they added Japanese highschool bullshit to this dieselpunk-fantasy SPRG series.

Well, the game had fencers

Fencer.jpg

(which even I found a bit ridiculous)

Fucking Sega.

Chariot

But then they had to shit up the series with VC2. Just look at the difference between both game's respective artbook covers and you'll see what I mean.
Yeah, most classes have skirts, albeit the rest and the design as whole stayed luckily decent. And no matter how much some people seem to have hated the class, Armored Engineer was badass.

cLWFl5t.jpg

And since the tanks in VC are different from our tanks, I can totally believe that these guys can beat a radiator to pulp.

Yeah, most classes have skirts, albeit the rest and the design as whole stayed luckily decent. And no matter how much some people seem to have hated the class, Armored Engineer was badass.

cLWFl5t.jpg

And since the tanks in VC are different from our tanks, I can totally believe that these guys can beat a radiator to pulp.

Scale mail in 1940s not-Europe? Really?

Begaria

I just... I only been exposed to this series for a week and it's bugging me how it looks like they shit the bed with the sequel. It's just dumb as fuck that they added Japanese highschool bullshit to this dieselpunk-fantasy SPRG series.

Yeah, that's pretty damn ridiculous. Glad they went back to badass looks in VC3. It also reminded me of what happened with the Shadow Hearts series where it started off as this super serious horror RPG in Koudelka and by the time I got to Shadow Hearts 2 it became this wacky super Japanese bizarre adventure with sexual innuendo.

Chariot

Yeah, they should skip VC2 and bring VC3 with another name to PC, because the number would be highly confusing for the uneducated and very unsatisfying in the steam library. Since it is a side story to VC anyway "Valkyria Chronicles: Unrecorded Chronicles" would do perfectly well.

Let's bring VC3 Complete Artwork cover for comparison

Now you know why I only have these two
Looks so good. I hope they bring it officially to the west. If nothing else they could try to kickstart the game.

Shengar

idk. Still kinda anime to me. Very few of the VC1 characters had crazy anime hairstyles or hair colours.
Kinda justified since they supposed to be bunch of "weirdos" and elite troops. A mix between VC1 and VC2, but for me it still definitely better than VC2.
At least they look like they're prepared (physically and mentally) for combat.

And at least they wear military uniform

Chariot

idk. Still kinda anime to me. Very few of the VC1 characters had crazy anime hairstyles or hair colours.
I don't know, only one hairstyle looks particularly crazy (top middle guy on the tank) and the center girl, who looks like a Valkyria that tried to hide her hair, but ran out of hair color along the way. Maybe she smears the blood of her enemies on her head.

VC3's characters are still more ridiculous than VC1 (I mean, two of them seem to be a dom-sub combo, and one appears to be the 60-year-old madam of a brothel?) but at least it's not VC2.

Begaria

If you're referring to the woman in the middle whom has red and blue hair, there's actually a story reason for that.

At least they look like they're prepared (physically and mentally) for combat.

Oh, they are. In VC3, your squad is called the "Nameless" - a group of criminals/traitors forced to fight in the army. They're basically the Suicide Squad of Gallia - they're sent on nearly impossible missions, used as meat shields for the Gallian army, and are ordered to attack extremely difficult enemies. They're as badass as Squad 7 from VC1.

VC3's characters are still more ridiculous than VC1 (I mean, two of them seem to be a dom-sub combo, and one appears to be the 60-year-old madam of a brothel?) but at least it's not VC2.

True, there are some ridiculous personalities in the Nameless. They're not nearly as silly as the VC2 characters and there's some really serious underlying drama in the Nameless.

The art in VC1, judging by those pcitures, is pretty darn grounded in comparison to the other two.

Stylized sure, but...nothing like what the second game looks like.

Begaria

I'm getting the feeling using swords on the field isn't as exhilarating as it's appearing in my head.

Fencers got nerfed hard in VC3 from VC2. In VC2 they had insane infantry offense, which they still have in VC3, but really good shields to also protect them from the front. I think they also got to keep their base Technician gear which has insane defense, though I might be misremembering that. I really enjoyed using them in VC2. Their shields in VC3 are dinky little bucklers that do jack squat to protect them compared to armored technicians, and they have to wear the same base armor as shocktroopers/scouts which isn't nearly as good as armored technicians. Since they move so slowly, they get chewed up by interception fire making it much harder to get close enough to get a hit in compared to VC2.

Edit: Here's a video of Avan (main character of VC2) on the Fencer job. Notice the decent sized shield and how he's wrecking shit?
http://youtu.be/6FqFeTPYwao

Yeah, you can't do that in VC3. I'll try to find a video on youtube that demonstrates what I mean. I might find one, I might not.

Edit: Damn, can't find anything. I should've taken a screenshot when I was going through VC3. Ah well. Trust me, Fencers are great in VC2, not so great in VC3.

dramatis

Armored Techs may look badass, but it doesn't translate to badass utility in combat, hence the hate. In VC2, using an Anti-Tank Sniper is better than using an Armored Tech for destroying tanks. Fencers are better for any melee because fencers take almost no damage as long as their shield blocks the shots. For VC3 they rectified Armored Tech uselessness by giving the Armored Tech an extendable shield that worked as a shot barrier for any units behind it, so the primarily the job of an Armored Tech is now defense.

Why is there only one medic-chan
VC1 didn't actually have a medic class, just the squeaky blonde girl who came running when you stumbled on your fallen guys. VC2 added the medic class; VC3 merged it with the support class and now it's pretty badass.

Ultimadrago

Fencers got nerfed hard in VC3 from VC2...

Edit: Damn, can't find anything. I should've taken a screenshot when I was going through VC3. Ah well. Trust me, Fencers are great in VC2, not so great in VC3.

Thanks for the clarification. Dude was messing people up in that video you posted. And strikes go past cover? Damn!

Vashzaron

VC1 didn't actually have a medic class, just the squeaky blonde girl who came running when you stumbled on your fallen guys. VC2 added the medic class; VC3 merged it with the support class and now it's pretty badass.

I think he's talking about how supposedly they are triplets "Mina" "Gina" and "Fina" as written in the Bio.

Like some Nurse Joy stuff with a Skies of Arcadia character.

Shifty1897

Wasn't the medic in VC1 a nod to Fina from Skies of Arcadia? They look exactly alike.

Top Bottom