• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Shengar

Well, in VC3 most women are in miniskirts which is kinda ridiculous.

I wouldn't called most when there are only three people who wear mini skirt. 4-5 if we stretch short skirt with ZR as miniskirt because of that. Then the rest of them either wear long skirt or pants. Definitely more ridiculous than VC1 where only the main cast wear skirt, but still acceptable.

Durante

I'm happy that music replacement seems to be a go.

I've thought about trying to improve some of the more obviously bad pre-rendered backgrounds, specially those for which the assets are there to render them.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
With music replacement, my overhaul mod can soon be completed.

I already showcased by beautiful postprocessing tweaks in the high res PC screenshot thread, now I can replace all the music with "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor". All I need is a model replacer so I can get my nude school girl mods and it can be the Valkyria Chronicles we've always wanted it to be!

By the by, are the music replacements something officially coming via patch, or an OST re-release that we're going to have to mod in?

I mean, I'd definitely get the OST via Steam Music if it gets released on it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Official patch? Naw, SEGA has nothing to do with this. I'll probably put up my modified afs file (it's ~370MB), which is a very simple backup/replace.

edit: I do realize that due to the commercial work I've done for Square Enix, Bandai Namco, etc. I'm in a very oddball quasi-official state for this though. On one hand, it's probably not going to go anywhere contacting SEGA about it, or inquiring if Sakimoto-san wants to contact SEGA about it. On the other, VGO works with Basiscape a lot and I fully intend to make use of any extra time in any hypothetical orchestral sessions we're doing for him over the next few months to record stuff for this (if we're ever ahead of schedule in a session, obviously)

The way I'm seeing it go down is basically 1) It's a bunch of covers of music from a video game, similar to what people (including myself) do all the time. 2) Just so happens that a mod tool exists to swap music in the game, so why not make use of it. In the spirit of PC gaming and modding and hi def, etc.

edit2: Speaking of VGO and Hitoshi Sakimoto, FFTactics & XII medley has been a concert repertoire staple for a few years. What I would give for a budget to record the entirety of Valkyria Chronicles with the ensemble.

McNum

I think I've hit the tipping point where Scouts go from fragile to monsters.

Alicia vs. Medium Tank in 10b. Defense Boost. RUN! Then the boss started shooting at her, too. She made it across the bridge, just had to toss a Healing Request her way and the elevator was open for business. Then she got one-shot from across the map by a tank a few turns later. I think I'm getting a little too callous about soldiers going down. Saw her get blown across the street, and just went "Oh, I guess I should fix that..." in my mind. So yeah, a couple of levels more and my soon to be Elite Scouts will take over the world.

I did want to try out Rosie with Damage Boost vs. Medium Tank, but the tank she was hunting just moved out of the way, so why bother? In the end, Nadine got the kill, which is perhaps the best mission ever for a Darcsen to kill the boss on. Besides, if the Scout I was attempting to rush takes a tank shell to the face, an Engineer is fine, too.

Kaper

I just started VC3 a few days ago and was worried by all the lolis in my squad so far. Glad to know it gets better.

There is only one 'loli' in VC3 (Amy), who is 15 at the start of the war. She is young looking, as she should be, but a long shot from loli. The rest of the squad are mostly 20s-30s.

Official patch? Naw, SEGA has nothing to do with this. I'll probably put up my modified afs file (it's ~370MB), which is a very simple backup/replace.

edit: I do realize that due to the commercial work I've done for Square Enix, Bandai Namco, etc. I'm in a very oddball quasi-official state for this though. On one hand, it's probably not going to go anywhere contacting SEGA about it, or inquiring if Sakimoto-san wants to contact SEGA about it. On the other, VGO works with Basiscape a lot and I fully intend to make use of any extra time in any hypothetical orchestral sessions we're doing for him over the next few months to record stuff for this (if we're ever ahead of schedule in a session, obviously)

The way I'm seeing it go down is basically 1) It's a bunch of covers of music from a video game, similar to what people (including myself) do all the time. 2) Just so happens that a mod tool exists to swap music in the game, so why not make use of it. In the spirit of PC gaming and modding and hi def, etc.

edit2: Speaking of VGO and Hitoshi Sakimoto, FFTactics & XII medley has been a concert repertoire staple for a few years. What I would give for a budget to record the entirety of Valkyria Chronicles with the ensemble.

Some might say you are doing the Lord's work. I would, if I were a Christian.

xBladeM6x

Some might say you are doing the Lord's work. I would, if I were a Christian.

You only said "the Lord's." We could be talking about any Lord to be fair. Such as Lord GabeN.

jesus-gabe-newell_o_932197.jpg

Baha

So I've just encountered a strange bug for the 2nd time now and both times it's happened when using Alicia.
Essentially she falls through the map and the only way to fix it without loading a save is to use the retreat order and call her back on the next turn. First time was on my first play through on chapter 15a on a ladder directly behind a cap point. Climbing this ladder would trigger the bug.
2nd time just happened on NG+ during a run on Skirmish 3 Hard. I threw a nade at one of the crouching troopers in the cap point but I was too close to the blast and got hit. Next thing I know, Alicia is falling through the map again. Not really game breaking if you save a lot during a mission but anybody who doesn't is going to have a rough time otherwise.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's not the first time someone has mentioned Ch15 w.r.t falling-through-earth bug. I think the geometry is just messed up there, and a video would probably let SEGA pinpoint and fix it.

(strange though, I don't recall any falling-through-map glitches in the PS3 version)

Sera O

Banned
So I've just encountered a strange bug for the 2nd time now and both times it's happened when using Alicia.
Essentially she falls through the map and the only way to fix it without loading a save is to use the retreat order and call her back on the next turn. First time was on my first play through on chapter 15a on a ladder directly behind a cap point. Climbing this ladder would trigger the bug.

This is exactly the place it happened to me multiple times too. If it happens you can end that action and use the retreat order on the unit from the tactical map screen, but yeah. Sounds like saving every turn for that mission running up to Ghirlandaio is a good measure just in case.

By any chance was it the same ladder? The one I had this happen on multiple times was the ladder next to the camp against the north wall, east side?

Baha

This is exactly the place it happened to me multiple times too. If it happens you can end that action and use the retreat order on the unit from the tactical map screen, but yeah. Sounds like saving every turn for that mission running up to Ghirlandaio is a good measure just in case.

By any chance was it the same ladder? The one I had this happen on multiple times was the ladder next to the camp against the north wall, east side?

Yep, that's the one. I guess avoid getting hit by explosions near the base at the end of Skirmish 3 or Chapter 5 too.

By the way, to bring up save-edits again...

Would it be possible to edit a fresh save file so that the game is in a New Game+ state but also have it such that all records are D-Rank, and everything is in the same state it would be on a fresh save except for the various non-progression related NG+ bonuses?

That, or some way to make it set so the full range of the R&D menu is unlocked from the beginning, though I suppose there would need to be some adjustments to Ducat rewards to cap the player off from just buying every last upgrade early on. I mean, honestly, it seems like there's no real economy in VC1 since you'll never be able to spend all your money or need to save up for anything. If there's ANYTHING the sequels did right, it was that you couldn't just roll through all the upgrades unless you cheesed the game and grinded rather than doing main missions as they came.

Sera O

Banned
Yep, that's the one. I guess avoid getting hit by explosions near the base at the end of Skirmish 3 or Chapter 5 too.

Crappy imperials and their crappy ladder workmanship. I swear to god someone's going to seriously get hurt one of these days when they fall into the centre of the earth and then, bam - lawsuit.

(strange though, I don't recall any falling-through-map glitches in the PS3 version)

My PS3 playthroughs were glitch-free, and I never read any mention of issues back then either.

Shengar

There is only one 'loli' in VC3 (Amy), who is 15 at the start of the war. She is young looking, as she should be, but a long shot from loli. The rest of the squad are mostly 20s-30s.
And her reason joining The Nameless is for better monetary reward nonetheless.

Chariot

Checked back with a mod, should probably ok.

I photographed a view interesting pages that from the book while going through it. I found out that have one or two hand too few and not adequate lighting atm. So the photos are not very good. They don't have to be though, you're supposed to buy the book yourself anyways :D

Selvaria Early Design
http://i.minus.com/jbrKeuQKyzEjg8.jpg
I really like the short hair. She looks a bit like a determined and adult Rei Ayanami, but I am sure her character would deviate by actually expression feelings.

Welkin Early Design
http://i.minus.com/jFqveG0ClCAp7.jpg
Yet again, I like this design. The headphones and the... mask thing looks pretty good.

Alicia Early Design
http://i.minus.com/jNdGR1ZBVfKLb.jpg
Alicia on the other hand looks a lot better in the game version imo. She was also supposed to drive the tank instead of Isara that didn't exist in the early pitches. Instead there was...

What would become Isara
http://i.minus.com/jHUddMcaz1cKO.jpg
Thank god for the change. The Darcsens were apparently animal eared at the beginning. With this fellow, Bastian, being in a similar role to Isara.

Varrot
http://i.minus.com/jbIcm7EmtBjL5.jpg
There are many versions of Varrot in the book and I like all of them, including the game version. There is one with a big braid that hangs around similar to that enemy woman from VC2, only with black hair. I like this one because it underlines her kindness and the hat is kinda cute.

[spoiler endgame]
http://i.minus.com/jbyQFUujrQpDi4.jpg
The archduke was supposed to enter a fight at some point. The comment jokes about that she was supposed to stand on a tank.

There are other cool things in it, like vehicle and enemy designs that weren't used, including the picture of an Imp that is riding a mechanical raptor.

xBladeM6x

Checked back with a mod, should probably ok.

I photographed a view interesting pages that from the book while going through it. I found out that have one or two hand too few and not adequate lighting atm. So the photos are not very good. They don't have to be though, you're supposed to buy the book yourself anyways :D

Selvaria Early Design
http://i.minus.com/jbrKeuQKyzEjg8.jpg
I really like the short hair. She looks a bit like a determined and adult Rei Ayanami, but I am sure her character would deviate by actually expression feelings.

Welkin Early Design
http://i.minus.com/jFqveG0ClCAp7.jpg
Yet again, I like this design. The headphones and the... mask thing looks pretty good.

Alicia Early Design
http://i.minus.com/jNdGR1ZBVfKLb.jpg
Alicia on the other hand looks a lot better in the game version imo. She was also supposed to drive the tank instead of Isara that didn't exist in the early pitches. Instead there was...

What would become Isara
http://i.minus.com/jHUddMcaz1cKO.jpg
Thank god for the change. The Darcsens were apparently animal eared at the beginning. With this fellow, Bastian, being in a similar role to Isara.

Varrot
http://i.minus.com/jbIcm7EmtBjL5.jpg
There are many versions of Varrot in the book and I like all of them, including the game version. There is one with a big braid that hangs around similar to that enemy woman from VC2, only with black hair. I like this one because it underlines her kindness and the hat is kinda cute.

[spoiler endgame]
http://i.minus.com/jbyQFUujrQpDi4.jpg
The archduke was supposed to enter a fight at some point. The comment jokes about that she was supposed to stand on a tank.

There are other cool things in it, like vehicle and enemy designs that weren't used, including the picture of an Imp that is riding a mechanical raptor.

That's all really awesome. I'm glad they went with the designs they did, but it would have been cool to see Welkin with the goggles in the desert areas. Also, it seemed that the artist really liked the idea of white haired protagonist / antagonists. Lol

Durante

Thanks for those pictures. In most cases I much prefer what we ended up with to the original concept, especially for Welkin (I feel like the concept is a much more generic JRPG hero type).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm happy that music replacement seems to be a go.

I've thought about trying to improve some of the more obviously bad pre-rendered backgrounds, specially those for which the assets are there to render them.

Yeah the training grounds one annoys me so I wanted to see if I can replace it but I know nothing of 3D rendering. lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Training grounds is a bad one, because I don't think there are any models for that.

Well the models themselves are pretty simple so replicating them shouldn't be too much work but again I know nothing of 3D rendering. Maybe I should start looking into it!

Edit: Thinking about how simple they are maybe a straight re-draw in 2D wouldn't be too bad either, so experimentation ahead~!

Shengar

Yuusuke Kozaki likes military stuff as well. I kinda hoped he done the art work instead of Raita.
Maybe he should in VC4
Yeah the training grounds one annoys me so I wanted to see if I can replace it but I know nothing of 3D rendering. lol

Seeing Rodriguez pretty face with that ugly low ass background is really jarring

Haunted

But then they had to shit up the series with VC2. Just look at the difference between both game's respective artbook covers and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: On a PC now so I can show what I'm talking about.

Here's the cover of VC1's artbook:

81YrZdg8XgL._SL1500_.jpg

And the VC2's artbook cover:

ValkyriaChronicles2WorldArtworks1.jpg

I just... I only been exposed to this series for a week and it's bugging me how it looks like they shit the bed with the sequel. It's just dumb as fuck that they added Japanese highschool bullshit to this dieselpunk-fantasy SPRG series.

Fucking Sega.
That's the most heartbreaking IP butchering I've seen since the Little King's Story reimagining for Vita.

Durante

Stop posting about this, it just makes me relive my anger from 5 years ago. VC2, in most of its decisions (platform, demographic focus, character advancement) is such an amazing clusterfuck.

The fact that it's still somewhat fun to play is a testament to how ridiculously great the core mechanics of the series are.

Haunted

It pains me as well.

I just googled New Little King's story to find a picture to post as an example and nearly cried.

Falk

that puzzling face
So what if SEGA comes forth and says VC2 on PSP was canon but viewed from the perspective of a drunk school guy, and announces a remake for Steam/current-gen with the same characters but 1/5th the fanservice, proper attire, etc.

xBladeM6x

So what if SEGA comes forth and says VC2 on PSP was canon but viewed from the perspective of a drunk school guy, and announces a remake for Steam/current-gen with the same characters but 1/5th the fanservice, proper attire, etc.

At this point, I'd just be happy with some response to a possible VC2 & 3 on PC. (Even though I just play them on my Emulator at the moment)

Chariot

Raita Honjou's fetish/preferences as an artist is pretty much exemplified by the collage below:
Uh~ I think I like his fetishes.

They could just leave it be and declare the Gallia Trilogy for finished an go to make an imperial game that could lead into a Trilogy. Like after the gallian war a big part of the imperial resources were crushed, including of course Max and the Drei Stern, so it now suffers trouble at it's war with the Federation. We could have the view of an imperial squad that is stationed at a rather uneventful part of the front that get's hot while the story progresses.

Wouldn't it be great if it were a punishment squad for those who failed the invasion of gallia. Just imagine to play with Ty and Nonnenkof :D

baterism

Awshit, skirmish on expert really destroyed me. Just tried bruhl outskirt skirmish. It's like every damn scouts and troopers use ruhm. Alice died just by standing. I got wiped by imps in 1 turn.

Any tips on that?

epmode

I've stayed away from this game ever since I noticed that reaction fire is tied to framerate and read that moving up inclines can be negatively influenced by the same thing. Figured I'd wait for a patch.

Has Sega made any announcements about the problem? I think I read that the incline thing was corrected but I didn't see anything about reaction fire.

Would you guys recommend leaving 60 FPS enabled even if it makes things more difficult?

You'd think that developers would have noticed by now that tying gameplay elements to framerate is a Bad Idea.

Top Bottom