• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Falk

that puzzling face
At this point, I'd just be happy with some response to a possible VC2 & 3 on PC. (Even though I just play them on my Emulator at the moment)

emulators don't have steam cheevos! :(

They could just leave it be and declare the Gallia Trilogy for finished an go to make an imperial game that could lead into a Trilogy. Like after the gallian war a big part of the imperial resources were crushed, including of course Max and the Drei Stern, so it now suffers trouble at it's war with the Federation. We could have the view of an imperial squad that is stationed at a rather uneventful part of the front that get's hot while the story progresses.

Wouldn't it be great if it were a punishment squad for those who failed the invasion of gallia. Just imagine to play with Ty and Nonnenkof :D

Heh, you know, it's easy to see the Empire as the baddies since they're the ones invading Europa for resources, but the truth is there's stinkers on all sides, and innocents (well, as innocent as soldiers get, anyway) just caught up between the big entities. I think that's what made Ch8 so great, it made the good-guy bad-guy thing a lot more ambiguous than the first few chapters.

A story based on the Imperial elites
(post Selvaria :'( )
could be very cool. Lots of interesting character stories to be told too. e.g. Ty is dealing with chronic tinnitus from being shot in the head so many times in EWII.

ed:
I've stayed away from this game ever since I noticed that reaction fire is tied to framerate and read that moving up inclines can be negatively influenced by the same thing. Figured I'd wait for a patch.

Has Sega made any announcements about the problem? I think I read that the incline thing was corrected but I didn't see anything about reaction fire.

Would you guys recommend leaving 60 FPS enabled even if it makes things more difficult?

You'd think that developers would have noticed by now that tying gameplay elements to framerate is a Bad Idea.

I stand by my speculation that the fact one framerate-related thing was fixed while the other wasn't is a good sign as it might imply some discussion is going on behind the scenes on what to do. (As I pointed out, the porting team and the original devs are different entities so simply asking for permission isn't as simple as fixing a few lines of code)

Also, some games' mechanics absolutely need to be tied to frame-thinks. A lot of bullet hell games would be nigh-impossible without (artificial, nowadays) CPU limitations and slowdown, so the games continue to be written that way. Granted, that's not exactly the same issue here, and also a niche case.

Chariot

Would you guys recommend leaving 60 FPS enabled even with the higher difficulty?
Yes definitely. It makes the game more fun, since it makes Scout rushes more difficult and requires a bit more tactic. You can use it even for yourself since your reaction fire is stronger too. Shocks love it. I have yet to play the Hard and Ex Skirmishes, but I got A on everything else fine.
Heh, you know, it's easy to see the Empire as the baddies since they're the ones invading Europa for resources, but the truth is there's stinkers on all sides, and innocents (well, as innocent as soldiers get, anyway) just caught up between the big entities. I think that's what made Ch8 so great, it made the good-guy bad-guy thing a lot more ambiguous than the first few chapters.

A story based on the Imperial elites
(post Selvaria :'( )
cool. Lots of interesting character stories to be told too. e.g. Ty is dealing with chronic tinnitus from being shot in the head so many times in EWII.
Yeah. I t would definitely pleasant to have more of that. The empire has better military standards. Gallia has people like Damon on top, while the empire executed Geld for his war crimes.

And you could so much with this. even regarding the Darcsen hate. Like some imperial soldier that is a darcsen that uses haircolor and in all honestly loves the empire regardless.

Durante

I've stayed away from this game ever since I noticed that reaction fire is tied to framerate and read that moving up inclines can be negatively influenced by the same thing. Figured I'd wait for a patch.

Has Sega made any announcements about the problem? I think I read that the incline thing was corrected but I didn't see anything about reaction fire.

Would you guys recommend leaving 60 FPS enabled even with the higher difficulty?
First of all, it's not necessarily "higher difficulty". The reaction fire difference applies both to your own and to enemies' reaction fire. That means that e.g. holding a location is actually easier.

I think I've made my opinion on it clear previously, but just to reiterate: if they put in an option for either the 30 FPS or the 60 FPS interception behaviour, I'd certainly pick the 60 FPS one. It makes the gameplay more positional and achieves a better balance overall between unit types. (Scouts are still OP, but not nearly as much as before)

baterism

Just checked PS3 play on Skirmish on Expert. The damage is vastly different than I remember. Something is not right. Might try play it again on 30fps.

epmode

First of all, it's not necessarily "higher difficulty". The reaction fire difference applies both to your own and to enemies' reaction fire. That means that e.g. holding a location is actually easier.

I think I've made my opinion on it clear previously, but just to reiterate: if they put in an option for either the 30 FPS or the 60 FPS interception behaviour, I'd certainly pick the 60 FPS one. It makes the gameplay more positional and achieves a better balance overall between unit types. (Scouts are still OP, but not nearly as much as before)

Yeah, reducing the effectiveness of the scout rush is definitely good. It would be nice if the scoring system would be adjusted to reward something other than pure speed though.

How about the incline thing? That's been fixed?

baterism

It strange. From comparison from PS3 playthrough with my PC ver, the rate of fire might be same, but the damage is really different. And I already completed all armor and squad level.

Did they patched it to make the damage increased? It's crazy a trooper can take out lancer in might be less than 2 seconds.

Edit after testing: the damage same, just the rate of fire of intercepting. The mission is easier on 30fps because it chocked full of intercepting fire. Still possible on 60fps, but trooper rushing no longer an option it seems.
Edit2: It simply far far harder on this mission. I don't think I can do it on 60fps. I give up. I switch to 30fps for this specific mission.

Chariot

It's still is with orders and bit of path planning. I made mission 15 without the lamest tactic and just ran with Alicia (not max level when I did it first) and a caution order through the Ruhm interception fire using every cover I could get.

Durante

screenshot_2014-11-22kbz50.jpg

"only"

heh

petran79

Banned
VC3 looks nice on upscaled graphics through emulation but devoting 60 hours on a low-res portable would make this a very tiresome experience....

but with scenes like those, it is tempting indeed...

maxresdefault.jpg

Just realised last night that I've already done the dreaded mission 7, and without batting much of an eyelid. Sure it took several tries to work out priorities and opportunities, but really it just seemed like a good old fashioned boss fight to me. The 'twist' was well telegraphed, too.

Chariot

Hardmode despair.

I was trying to actually play the first Bruhl skirmish in Hard. Ok, first game I was still a bit overwhelmed, but I figured out what I needed and got a messy 5 round win. Rank C. Cool, not pretty, but now that I beat the mission I can do it again and better.
And so I did. 3 Rounds. Rank B. I was happy, I improved myself and had an idea how to get that extra round. And then I beat it in 2 Rounds. Rank B.

Oh my god, how in gods name should I do that in 1 round and what in gods name will Ex be D:

edit: lol, ok. I was just missing something obvious. Thanks Marberry Shore.

Man look at all that gear on Marina! I think the visual representation of what the units have available is a nice touch in the game.
She'd make Liefeld feel proud with all those pouches!

And you could so much with this. even regarding the Darcsen hate. Like some imperial soldier that is a darcsen that uses haircolor and in all honestly loves the empire regardless.
This would be much better than how FFTA presented dying one's hair.

In terms of plot points begging for a sequel, I think SEGA giving Radi's escape its own mission in VC3 says that Nonaka and crew really want to make a sequel in Fhirald. The problem with doing one for him or for elites or for Darcsens during the Calamity period is that none of them would be using the platoon management systems and militia/academy/suicide unit premise for helping players bond with characters. In Fhirald, for example, the country (now a province) would theoretically be divided by Imperial governorship, or however the Empire normally organizes territories it may or may not have already habilitated for regular citizens, not just the occupied. Radi would most likely be hopping between areas of the country to find elites from before the occupation he can recruit for his own force, while promoting estranged citizens to form militias, set up supply chains between urban areas, gradually sabotage Imperial military and reconstruction ops, &c. So incorporating all that potential story into the game mechanically could require some creativity, effectively introducing a larger game a la the Geoscape from X-COM.

tl;dr Story context can have a big effect on how the games might develop if there are sequels; a game set in Fhirald about Radi's attempt to free his people could involve more macro-level decision making.

Durante

Is it just me or is getting an A on the Edy DLC mission on your first time pretty much impossible?

I did it in
turns and got a
B
, but considering
that you only learn about your actual goal after turn 3 how are you supposed to get there by turn 4?

VC3 looks nice on upscaled graphics through emulation but devoting 60 hours on a low-res portable would make this a very tiresome experience....

maxresdefault.jpg

There's one thing that always gets me about these things.

What was it about VC that made it so popular with Russians? This is one mystery that has forever eluded me.

Chariot

tl;dr Story context can have a big effect on how the games might develop if there are sequels; a game set in Fhirald about Radi's attempt to free his people could involve more macro-level decision making.
That is a nice idea too. Man, they have literally half a dozen of possibilities of making a new game with the same core mechanic, but different new ones. They just have to do it!

Is it just me or is getting an A on the Edy DLC mission on your first time pretty much impossible?

I did it in
turns and got a
B
, but considering
that you only learn about your actual goal after turn 3 how are you supposed to get there by turn 4?
There a lot of missions that make it difficult to impossible to get an A in the first try due unpredictable events. Replay value, I guess :D
There's one thing that always gets me about these things.

What was it about VC that made it so popular with Russians? This is one mystery that has forever eluded me.
For once not being the evil bad force from the east or the incompetent bunch of evil guys? Just remember what happened to Company of Heroes 2. I mean, it is kinda implied by the geography that the russia equivalent already fell, but the map is cut at the east. It could still be in the east doing whatever. At least the game is not explicitly taking the shit on russia.

Giran

Oh my god, how in gods name should I do that in 1 round and what in gods name will Ex be D:

EX Hard doesn't fuck around. Your characters just melt in enemy fire and there's little to no room for error.
No Shamrock, Edelweiss and therefore no orders either, and three mortars are aimed at your deployment zone right from the get go.
You will be reloading. A lot.

I managed to eventually make it work in 3 turns, A rank, but it was honestly more frustration than fun.

Vashzaron

Heh, the first one is highly amusing. Do they actually work?

Batomys have one big problem besides it's size, game softlocks after you fire the main cannon. I assume due to whatever script is attached to when after it fires for it to open up the radiators. (Which I haven't placed.)

Other than that both of them work fine, you can move them, attack (Batomys use the top cannons), they both have the correct names, icon, voice usage, etc. Plus you can even use weapons they usually never did use with correct animations, like Shamrocks flamethrowers.

Chariot

EX Hard doesn't fuck around. Your characters just melt in enemy fire and there's little to no room for error.
No Shamrock, Edelweiss and therefore no orders either, and three mortars are aimed at your deployment zone right from the get go.
You will be reloading. A lot.

I managed to eventually make it work in 3 turns, A rank, but it was honestly more frustration than fun.
Yikes. I think I only doing hard for the Cheevo.

Batomys have one big problem besides it's size, game softlocks after you fire the main cannon. I assume due to whatever script is attached to when after it fires for it to open up the radiators. (Which I haven't placed.)

Other than that both of them work fine, you can move them, attack (Batomys use the side cannons), they both have the correct names, icon, voice usage, etc. Plus you can even use weapons they usually never did use with correct animations, like Shamrocks flamethrowers.
Wow, this is very rad! And so exciting. I hope there is a way to really implement mod missions into the game. *___*
You're all doing gods work.

Durante

That's interesting. I'd expect such behaviour to be scripted into the level, not the unit, but apparently not.

That's interesting. I'd expect such behaviour to be scripted into the level, not the unit, but apparently not.

You realize what a goldmine this is if we figure out how to make custom maps and missions, right?

Battles with a Batomys or multiple of them moving about, and not necessarily as the Kill-to-win enemy. Fuck yeah! I mean, strip off a few of the anti-personnel guns and don't tie reinforcements to Radiator No.2 and it would be a fine miniboss to spice up an otherwise mundane mission.

Or if we're thinking more creative, a Batomys gauntlet mission involving barriers only a Batomys can break, and a ton of enemy troopers gunning for the radiators at each of those checkpoints.

Aselith

maxresdefault.jpg

Her bosoms are blushing at us. I think they're shy ugggggggggguuu~

Or is it a friction burn

Nt7j5Kb.gif

Unai

Well, mission 14 was full of suprise. I've got a D rank in my second try. I had to position Edy to take care of the
infinity respawn
. It sook some planing.

Zomba13

But then they had to shit up the series with VC2. Just look at the difference between both game's respective artbook covers and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: On a PC now so I can show what I'm talking about.

Here's the cover of VC1's artbook:

And the VC2's artbook cover:

I just... I only been exposed to this series for a week and it's bugging me how it looks like they shit the bed with the sequel. It's just dumb as fuck that they added Japanese highschool bullshit to this dieselpunk-fantasy SPRG series.

Fucking Sega.

Wow. I've not really seen much (maybe not anything?) of any VC game past 1 but wow.

EDIT: looking at the VC3 cover art that looks better than VC2 but instead suffers from giant anime weapons rather than anime school girls.

Finalow

jesus christ fuck mission 10B, that made me rage. took 2 hours or more to try, fail and see how you're supposed to win. then after realizing that it would probably take another 2 hours to actually finish it properly I just rushed with scouts at 30fps.
the fact that you can't skip the train cutscene each turn didn't help.

EDIT: looking at the VC3 cover art that looks better than VC2 but instead suffers from giant anime weapons rather than anime school girls.

The giant swords thing isn't really actually anything note-worthy, in-gameplay or in-lore. It's just another soldier class that serves an close-range anti-infantry.

With the exception of Imca who has her own specialsauce lancer weapon, it's not that much different from the fundamental concept of a lancer, though it definitely feels less realistic.

I guess what I'm saying is that VC2 had a real tonal shift that's reflected in the cover of the artbook design. VC3's tone, despite the weapons, don't have any real tonal shifts that shifts it away from the roots established in VC1, though it's definitely somewhat darker.

Uriah

Is there any fix for falling through the ground after you climb the ladder in the first mission of chapter 15?

Edit: Nvm managed to finish the mission anyway.

Fuck...

I always felt Isara had huge death flags but I wasn't prepared for her death scene. I'm surprised how composed Welkin is despite all this. He's pretty much not the whiny anime protag you'd expect. I like that.

Also, I found it very efficient to just start missions with the story characters only, bum rush the first groups of enemies, take over the first enemy camp, and spawn the rest of my units on said camp.

Nyoro SF

Chapter 17 hinged entirely on the fact that
My flamethrowers couldn't one-shot soldiers hiding behind sandbags.

I was forced to do some skirmishes so I could level up my flamethrowers.
After that the mission became incredibly easy.

It's pretty amazing how much of a defense bonus crouching gives you though, it's annoyingly irritating to try and plan out an attack only to find out the enemies you're approaching are all crouching.

Danj

jesus christ fuck mission 10B, that made me rage. took 2 hours or more to try, fail and see how you're supposed to win. then after realizing that it would probably take another 2 hours to actually finish it properly I just rushed with scouts at 30fps.
the fact that you can't skip the train cutscene each turn didn't help.

Yeah that's the one I'm stuck on at the moment. Been trying to use a guide after I failed a couple of times but the guide must have higher levelled classes or something as my troops can't manage what it says to do.

Durante

Chapter 17 hinged entirely on the fact that
My flamethrowers couldn't one-shot soldiers hiding behind sandbags.

I was forced to do some skirmishes so I could level up my flamethrowers.
After that the mission became incredibly easy.

It's pretty amazing how much of a defense bonus crouching gives you though, it's annoyingly irritating to try and plan out an attack only to find out the enemies you're approaching are all crouching.
You really learn to appreciate crouching after playing the Edy DLC mission. Anyway, it's very useful that crouching is indicated on the map, since it allows you to plan out your moves better.

Sloane

Banned
Well some of the missions are built around scripted events which can easily screw your mission up after an hour or more, so if you don't have a mid-mission save have fun starting it over from the beginning. Chapter 7 is a notable example of this, you're close to being done and then suddenly it's possible for your whole squad to die in a turn with no warning.
Should have read this post sooner...

baterism

Fuck...

I always felt Isara had huge death flags but I wasn't prepared for her death scene. I'm surprised how composed Welkin is despite all this. He's pretty much not the whiny anime protag you'd expect. I like that.

Also, I found it very efficient to just start missions with the story characters only, bum rush the first groups of enemies, take over the first enemy camp, and spawn the rest of my units on said camp.

After I saw that episode, I just shrug it, saw that coming from miles, then continue playing for a while then sleep.
The first thing I remember when I woke up, Isara's dead. I felt horrible that morning.

Finalow

once you learn how to do it, mission 7 becomes pretty easy.
in the end you just need
one scout to destroy all the 'weak parts' (after the turrets are down) and a tank + maybe Largo to finish the mission. for Selvaria you can just hide behind walls or behind your tank.

Yeah that's the one I'm stuck on at the moment. Been trying to use a guide after I failed a couple of times but the guide must have higher levelled classes or something as my troops can't manage what it says to do.
with scouts level 9 it's doable, on 30fps. I even did it after screwing up. took me 4 turns instead of 2 but still got A. I did almost die at that level so it wasn't really safe. if you want to scout rush safely you need scouts level 12 so that you unlock the order caution, which helps a lot.

with no rush you basically need to
keep your tank at the starting point and kill the tank on the first bridge you see. then you destroy the bridge at NW with just a scout. (that's easy to do even if you're not high level, just use a defence boost and MAKE SURE that the train isn't near that part when you go in) after the tank on the first bridge is down it's easy to bring a scout there to open the passage, then you just move in with your tank and all your recruits until you reach the destination.

it's obviously much longer and with that cutscene playing all the turns I didn't even bothered.

I don't think I am going to use any more orders until NG+. They are just totally game breaking, I assume they were put in knowing it would unbalance the game. What is the point of lancers if every unit has tank killing abilities via orders?

McNum

When playing through 10a, there was something I was wondering about. How do you get the Edelweiss past the searchlights undetected? I just rushed through and tried to make the incoming mortars hit where the tank used to be and not where I actually wanted it to be at the end of turn, but I wonder if you actually CAN stealth it. Can you?

Chariot

I don't think I am going to use any more orders until NG+. They are just totally game breaking, I assume they were put in knowing it would unbalance the game. What is the point of lancers if every unit has tank killing abilities via orders?
Well, you can tanks without orders using Lancers. CP are of great worth. And everyone but Lancers usually have to go around the tank which is not possible or easy most of the time.

Well, you can tanks without orders using Lancers. CP are of great worth. And everyone but Lancers usually have to go around the tank which is not possible or easy most of the time.

Throwing a couple orders onto Alicia makes her the grim reaper pretty much. Anti-tank, anti personnel, defense boost and rush to target (and the scouts grenade launcher gets people out of cover by force). Feels totally game breaking. Although I think that is the point of orders somewhat.

Chariot

Throwing a couple orders onto Alicia makes her the grim reaper pretty much. Anti-tank, anti personnel, defense boost and rush to target (and the scouts grenade launcher gets people out of cover by force). Feels totally game breaking. Although I think that is the point of orders somewhat.
Anti-Tank Boost cost 3 CPs with the attack 1 CP and even more CP for giving her defense to get her savely behind the target. Lancer take minimum 3-4 CP for killing a tank from the front, later Jann and Audrey only need 1 for taking tanks out in one shot without even getting behind them. While scout can be very powerful, Lancers don't loose their purpose.

Durante

If you use defense boost, an anti-tank order, and caution (which you need, at least on PC at 60 FPS) you could use 6 or 7 normal lancer shots instead, which is usually more than enough to take out any tank.

Orders are very powerful, but there is some danger that you get so used to them that you don't realize that "normal" methods would be more CP-efficient. At least that's what happened to me a few times.

In the later stages of the game I've really come to appreciate Shocktroopers. With a defense order they take next to no damage, have enough mobility to get where they need to be, and enough weapons to kill any target - especially at Elite - and even against enemies in cover. Plus 'troopers are absolutely lethal in reaction fire, making them perfect for defense.

In Rosie I trust.

Top Bottom