• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Wavebossa

ValkyriaChronicles2WorldArtworks1.jpg

Ugh, yeah I'll stick with VC1. I'm not a fan of... this

Chariot

Why is there only one medic-chan

I think he's talking about how supposedly they are triplets "Mina" "Gina" and "Fina" as written in the Bio.

Like some Nurse Joy stuff with a Skies of Arcadia character.
Is there any mention that they are all in the same squad? Maybe only one of them is with Squad 7.

Armored Techs may look badass, but it doesn't translate to badass utility in combat, hence the hate. In VC2, using an Anti-Tank Sniper is better than using an Armored Tech for destroying tanks. Fencers are better for any melee because fencers take almost no damage as long as their shield blocks the shots. For VC3 they rectified Armored Tech uselessness by giving the Armored Tech an extendable shield that worked as a shot barrier for any units behind it, so the primarily the job of an Armored Tech is now defense.
I found them useful, until I could upgrade them of course, but that's what upgrades are there for, right.

--

Also: fuck aces in the challenges. I botched my first try with Shock and Sniper Challenge because I was searching for the damn aces. In Shock he killed my people since I didn't know that he was that strong and stupidly tried to flamethrower him. and in the Sniper Challenge, that fucker came out of hiding when I was searching for him and took my basecamp when nobody was there >:|

True, there are some ridiculous personalities in the Nameless. They're not nearly as silly as the VC2 characters and there's some really serious underlying drama in the Nameless.

Oh, for sure. It also helps that they're not all teenagers; I'll take 60-year-old brothel madam over half the characters in VC2 any day.

Nyoro SF

I'm glad that patch came after I beat
Welkin's special mission because the enemy tanks couldn't get over the hills to go after the refugee camp. Made it a lot easier to hold off the enemy.

I have no idea how to beat that chapter if enemy tanks can move normally now. Solutions welcome! Even with the framerate glitch I had a hell of a time beating that one.

Danj

Anyone got any tips for Chapter 9? I'm firing at the
ragnite radiator on the back of the APC, but although the guides say that should take it out in one shot, it's not happening

Nyoro SF

Anyone got any tips for Chapter 9? I'm firing at the
ragnite radiator on the back of the APC, but although the guides say that should take it out in one shot, it's not happening

It took me about 6 rounds of shots with a shocktrooper to take it down.

If you have Demolition Boost it's a lot faster.

Finalow

oh, you can't replay the story missions. I thought you could. :_|

I guess you just have to save&load if you want to get all the drops?

Chariot

oh, you can't replay the story missions. I thought you could. :_|

I guess you just have to save&load if you want to get all the drops?
No, you can replay them freely in NG+. Just finish the main story and load the saveslot.

I just started VC3 a few days ago and was worried by all the lolis in my squad so far. Glad to know it gets better.
Lolis? Like actual little children or just weirdly young looking woman? I would be a bit weirded out by children in the actual military.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
No, you can replay them freely in NG+. Just finish the main story and load the saveslot.

Lolis? Like actual little children or just weirdly young looking woman? I would be a bit weirded out by children in the actual military.
The bios says their 18 but they look 12. The Japanese voices don't help either.

Falk

that puzzling face
Seriously, both the Allied turn and Enemy turn music for Ch7 channels John Williams (specifically EP1) so hard.

Vashzaron

Oh damn, I just realized who you are now lol.

Love dat Endless Possibility track you did for the Unleashed project, looking forward to what you do for VC here.

Jinroh

Does anyone else have a deadzone issue when playing with a gamepad? I just can't aim properly for medium to long range headshots, each time I have to use the mouse. Is there any fix?

Sera O

Banned
I'm glad that patch came after I beat
Welkin's special mission because the enemy tanks couldn't get over the hills to go after the refugee camp. Made it a lot easier to hold off the enemy.

I have no idea how to beat that chapter if enemy tanks can move normally now. Solutions welcome! Even with the framerate glitch I had a hell of a time beating that one.

For Welkin's flower mission,
It isn't bad if you just make sure the three sides are defended against footsoldiers. Tanks take a long ass time to get there. I put Rosie on the east side of the camp behind some logs and a tent shielding her back, Welkin on the west side. Save CP by leaving Welkin and Rosie alone after positioning them. Largo and Marina were hiding on the grassy hill, and Nadine was at the front of the camp to stop runners, run ammo or repair Welkin.

Sniper can take out a lot of the foot soldiers first turn. Largo should just wait until the tanks are close, sneak behind and one-shot them in the ass. The key is placing Rosie where she isn't vulnerable to sniping (don't want her turning around), because if she faces out she can kill anyone but a lancer on intercept. Largo should be sneaking around on the grass by the tanks and spot the hidden lancer. Once the tanks were gone I had Nadine grenade the west-side dudes out of cover for Marina.

This mission is probably easier with more troopers for interception, but I like having different units out whenever possible.

As for Chapter 9, if you can get 2 troopers in position they will help each other out. I don't think it took me more than 3 turns at it though. Is there a bug that makes radiators invincible sometimes? I noticed on another mission, I had a trooper do 0 radiator damage, squarely aimed at point-blank range with demo boost on.

I also had Dallas fall into a bottomless abyss with floating scenery when she was climbing stairs up to the wall at Ghirlandaio. It happened at that location more than once (ladder and stairs next to the very northeast camp against the wall). I'd advise anyone playing that mission to save before attempting to climb that ladder.

Her icon after that was just floating all over the map. Luckily I could retreat her with an order - the idea that I could get stuck at that point in the mission was not a happy one.

Does anyone else have a deadzone issue when playing with a gamepad? I just can't aim properly for medium to long range headshots, each time I have to use the mouse. Is there any fix?

Aim with the D-Pad, it's slower yes but it makes it easier to put on some precise shots.

I am using a 360 controller BTW.

Falk

that puzzling face
Is there a bug that makes radiators invincible sometimes? I noticed on another mission, I had a trooper do 0 radiator damage, squarely aimed at point-blank range with demo boost on.

I know that some missions specifically have it set so that anything other than explosives do minimum damage to radiators. This is so you can't e.g. sequence break Ch3 before Welkin arrives in Edelweiss.

Not out of the realm of possibility for a bug to exist where that switch is flipped where it shouldn't be, but in my experience it's always been chalked down to user error or some other more logical explanation (levels, weapon upgrades, absurd expectations etc)

edit: GOD DAMNIT DARIO your tool repacks in the wrong order for some reason lol

Sera O

Banned
I know that some missions specifically have it set so that anything other than explosives do minimum damage to radiators. This is so you can't e.g. sequence break Ch3 before Welkin arrives in Edelweiss.

Not out of the realm of possibility for a bug to exist where that switch is flipped where it shouldn't be, but in my experience it's always been chalked down to user error or some other more logical explanation (levels, weapon upgrades, absurd expectations etc)

edit: GOD DAMNIT DARIO your tool repacks in the wrong order for some reason lol

On PS3 I remember seeing at least a tiny amount of damage happening - even if negligible. Equipment is up to date. Maybe there was some story/mission reason I didn't pick up on, but I don't recall having this kind of "will this do anything" confusion on PS3 at all, since the indicator tells you whether you can do anything or not.

One occasion when I tried it, I saw the indicator that says "(n) to kill" being <10, but with the entire spray circle on the radiator straight-on there was literally 0 damage. I believe it was either Marberry or Upper Fouzen. If I see it happen again I'll take better note of the details.

SoulUnison

Banned
I wish climbing over cover required a button press.

I've lost soldiers because they touched sandbags too aggressively and climbed out of cover.

There's something that always rubs me the wrong way about VC2, I mean...

Short skirts and long socks, but the socks fall too damn short to manage a proper zettai ryouki (With exception of a certain dummkopf noone liked except for
Zeri's sudden Romanorum ex Machina
) which just ends up making it look fucking stupid instead of just simply being unnecessary moe.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's working in-game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoK88lnazWA

https://soundcloud.com/falk-2/vc-against-the-odds

Sorry, old link broke because I'm bad at making sure track names are correct. Also whatever problem with Dario's tool, I can't reproduce. ¯\(°_o)/¯

Since I'm getting asked why I'm doing this and how far I plan to take it;

I honestly think VC is one of Sakimoto-san's greatest soundtracks ever, and now that it's on a platform where posterity is guaranteed (unless something horribly goes wrong and aliens come and EMP the entire planet us or something), I figured I'd put in a little effort in applying over half a decade's advancement in sample library technology to spruce up the soundtrack a little. Similar to what some people are doing with retracing some sprites to take advantage of 4K. Don't get me wrong, the original soundtrack is already stellar as it is (Sakimoto-san has been consistently amazing at sequencing orchestrals - between VC and FFXII I don't think there's any doubt that he's been top tier at the sound) but like I said, posterity, etc. so why the heck not!

Also it's great practice for me personally considering my line of work. ;p

As far as my plans go, I'm not planning on releasing anything till I've done virtually all I want to do with this, which could take months. (After all, this is a side project and VGO's schedule is pretty packed in the coming months). This first track went out the proverbial door as quickly as it did more as a proof of concept than anything.

Given the opportunity, I'd actually like to record a few real instruments to go with this (woodwinds especially), but as ever, it's only efficient to do that in bulk, hence that'd be towards the tail end of the project. Meaning a lot of these are probably going to be WIP for a while, and this being a freebie project, I'm always open to hearing feedback any time up to when I pack everything up and release it. Tracks go up on Soundcloud as they're done, but I'm not enabling downloads.

Re: Cutscenes, probably a no-go. The music seems to be baked into them (so it's not replacable while keeping the SFX/voice intact at a quality that is satisfactory to me) and I honestly doubt asking SEGA will do anything. Even in that tiny off-chance that someone in the company is up for making it happen, I'm willing to bet that the individual assets are long gone, so WYSIWYG.

I originally wanted to do this side project freebie "HD Remaster" thingoo for Final Fantasy VIII on Steam, but VC serves much of the same purpose and is honestly something I want to do even more.

Eusis

Aim with the D-Pad, it's slower yes but it makes it easier to put on some precise shots.

I am using a 360 controller BTW.
I think the intent is to use both: analog to quickly move to the right area, d-pad for fine tuning. Which works out since analog CAN go in greater degrees but you can't really do that whole "tap tap tap" thing you could with a good D-Pad.

... Also why I wouldn't play with the 360 controller, though I guess the XB1 would be fine.

Chariot

I wish climbing over cover required a button press.

I've lost soldiers because they touched sandbags too aggressively and climbed out of cover.
I have sometimes trouble to get out of trenches and walking slowly to the side instead. This is often a problem when in reach of a tank or shocks, every second is valuable hp after all :(
It's working in-game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoK88lnazWA

https://soundcloud.com/falk-2/vc-against-the-odds

Sorry, old link broke because I'm bad at making sure track names are correct. Also whatever problem with Dario's tool, I can't reproduce. ¯\(°_o)/¯
Nice!

Seeing everyone stream this game and enjoying it brought me to buy it on PS3 (my PC is not a gaming PC) so I could join in the fun too.

Loving it so far!

Nekofrog

Banned
the second worse offense after turning the series into fanservicy anime garbage was ditching the great subtle art style for blatant ugguuuu anime.

Falk

that puzzling face
I think the art style shift, character design aside, had a lot more to do with PSP limitations than anything.

Seanspeed

Banned
Is this game where the 'I just cant' thing came from?

Also, what's up with getting shot the fuck up and then saying, "Everyone's a critic" before dying? lol

Arthea

What's up with 17 GB to download... again? I've seen it mentioned in the steam thread earlier and I have the same problem.

I wouldn't say so just based on this, it could simply be harder to fix.

What I hope isn't the case is that they got some "political" issues with fixing it to any other rate than it was on PS3, or even allowing the option to do so.

My guess:

It's the same thing we saw time and time again in japanise games - they assumed game will always run at 30 fps at console so they made timing based on frames and not real time since it was easier to code.

Seyavesh

Ugh, yeah I'll stick with VC1. I'm not a fan of... this

you haven't even seen them speak yet because oh man, oh man..
here's a sampler: the tragic backstory of one of the main characters is that she's colorblind. and then she gets her ability to see color back at the end of the game.
yeah...

meanwhile, i'm up to chapter 14 and man the map variety is so freaking good in vc1, geez! the trench warfare map is such a refreshing and neat concept

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, if there's one thing that VC1 did overwhelmingly well, it's how varied and more importantly inclusive the maps are. There's urban warfare, jungle outposts, desert battles with wide open LOS, night/covert ops, A FREAKING OMAHA BEACH REENACTION, trenches, assaulting a fortress, defending a fortress, ambushes (both receiving and giving)

I'm just going to throw it out there that, despite the questionable use of anime-style high school elements (which I wasn't even that bothered by because they at least tried to explain the reasoning behind it), I thought the main plot and some of the squad member missions were well done, or at least compelling enough. The gameplay was an improvement, albeit with PSP limitations of smaller and reused maps.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't find VC2 as much of a trainwreck as I was repeatedly warned it was.

I'm just going to throw it out there that, despite the questionable use of anime-style high school elements (which I wasn't even that bothered by because they at least tried to explain the reasoning behind it), I thought the main plot and some of the squad member missions were well done, or at least compelling enough. The gameplay was an improvement, albeit with PSP limitations of smaller and reused maps.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't find VC2 as much of a trainwreck as I was repeatedly warned it was.

It's neogaf.gif - either something is perfect or it's total shit ;)

xBladeM6x

Looks like we're on the same page.

Here's the thing about VC2. They got the gameplay down and improved it to boot, but they lost the soul in the process.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure most people I know bought VC primarily for it's soul. VC2 feels like a soulless imitation of VC1 to me.

I don't know what it is about VC3, but somehow even with the same limitations, I really feel like it got back the soul that VC2 was devoid of.

Falk

that puzzling face

Been saying this since forever. It's a solid gameplay experience, if you can ignore the story. Going in with no expectations for the storytelling of VC1 makes for a legitimately enjoyable experience.

Disappointing? Yes. Irredeemable for what it is? No.

I mean, FFX-2 is a fun romp with an awful setting.

Seyavesh

in terms of pure gameplay i think it's lesser simply because of the lack of variety on maps due to PSP limiting the size and troop numbers. besides the reused maps, it's just that stuff starts to blend together and you don't really see any clear concept of what the map was attempting to do besides 'here's some stuff i guess'.

there's other nitpicks with stuff like grinding/class progression system and how absurdly weak interception fire is from the enemies but i feel like those are ultimately minor

like sure there's technically 'more' missions but none of them feel particularly unique in the same way that all the vc1 stuff does.

but i played vc2 first and haven't gone back to it in a long time so maybe it's just lingering hatred.

it's not a bad game by any means re: gameplay, but it's more like... 'man, VC1 is just so much better' which sucks

Chariot

Can't disagree. I never had a PS3 so I had only my psp to play the franchise and I enjoyed it. Of course I was missing the comparisson with the first game, but it was probably what made it more enjoyable. And as I said, I actually found the concept of a splittered map very interesting.

Just imagine new big VC game where you attack a fortress by simultaneously having two teams on remote generators and on team in a tunnel or something.
Or attacking a traing and having access to multiple positions along the road.

They could put good use of this. I also liked that you could make everyone to a commander for more flexibility in choosing your squad for the map.

Eusis

Here's the thing about VC2. They got the gameplay down and improved it to boot, but they lost the soul in the process.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure most people I know bought VC primarily for it's soul. VC2 feels like a soulless imitation of VC1 to me.
I liked the unique take on strategy RPGs as much if not more... which is ALSO hampered by the handheld move. It actually did really well there all things considered, but it was kind of a game that also acted as a counter point to the Shining Force producer that decided the games should be action RPGs rather than strategy RPGs to be more fitting for "higher end hardware": you could still do strategy RPGs, and you can do things that couldn't have worked out on older hardware as well. That the PSP's scale went back kind of proved that.

Top Bottom