• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

If you use defense boost, an anti-tank order, and caution (which you need, at least on PC at 60 FPS) you could use 6 or 7 normal lancer shots instead, which is usually more than enough to take out any tank.

Orders are very powerful, but there is some danger that you get so used to them that you don't realize that "normal" methods would be more CP-efficient. At least that's what happened to me a few times.

I guess I can see this. But I still think that the mobility of the scouts usually pushes them over the edge. But either way I am going to lay off the orders for the rest of the current game, I remember scout rushing hard back on the PS3 version anyway.

Sectus

I don't think I am going to use any more orders until NG+. They are just totally game breaking, I assume they were put in knowing it would unbalance the game. What is the point of lancers if every unit has tank killing abilities via orders?

I personally tried to limit order usage during my playthrough. I've played some missions in new game+ and I'm now allowing myself to do whatever, and it is ridiculous that even at 60fps I can stack enough orders on a scout that they can run past anything and win in a single turn.

Chariot

I guess I can see this. But I still think that the mobility of the scouts usually pushes them over the edge. But either way I am going to lay off the orders for the rest of the current game, I remember scout rushing hard back on the PS3 version anyway.
Yes, the mobility combined with the possible utility is very strong. However if you play 60fps doing this, isn't that easy anymore. You can just not scout rush instead of not using orders.

So after reinstalling windows I cannot find my VC save file and the one on steam cloud is like a couple missions older (missing an umber of challenges I beat).

Motherfucker, how on earth did I lose my save file? I freaking asked in this thread where and how to find it.. and I still somehow managed not to do that. The worst peart is that I have a distinct memory of my grabbing it...

Did you keep your Steam folder? Because the saves are right there in the game installation directory.
Did not grab that when I did the reinstall apparently :/

I am not sure what I did at this point beyond the distinct memory of me copy pasting it (somewhere). Also, searching the drive I saved it to for .ddat files or "save" yields nothing. I should have emailed it to myself...

EDIT: I am curious as to why the steam cloud save is exactly before I did all these intense and long ex challenges. It is as if steam cloud is mocking me.

SScorpio

Did not grab that when I did the reinstall apparently :/

I am not sure what I did at this point beyond the distinct memory of me copy pasting it (somewhere). Also, searching the drive I saved it to for .ddat files or "save" yields nothing. I should have emailed it to myself...

EDIT: I am curious as to why the steam cloud save is exactly before I did all these intense and long ex challenges. It is as if steam cloud is mocking me.

Install Game Save Manger, it automatically detects which games you have, and creates single file backups of them. It will likely find things you forgot you played at one time or another.

http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

Finalow

eh, I'd say that (huge spoilers)
Isara's death
wasn't really handled well as far as Welkin goes. I mean
I can understand the focus on Rosie but his fucking brother? Make at least one scene about him. crying to death or similar reactions do not fit his character but come on now, with how they did it, it seems that he barely knew her.
since I'm complaining, her death was much more random and forced than what I remembered, lol. I guess it could happen but eh.

eh, I'd say that (huge spoilers)
Isara's death
wasn't really handled well as far as Welkin goes. I mean
I can understand the focus on Rosie but his fucking brother? Make at least one scene about him. crying to death or similar reactions do not fit his character but come on now, with how they did it, it seems that he barely knew her.
since I'm complaing, her death was much more random and forced than what I remembered, lol. I guess it could happen but eh.

There's a report dealing with this, y'know.
It was clearing distracting him, and the report explains how he overcame it.

Not every person reacts to grief & loss in the same way.

Fireblend

Banned
So I'm about to play the dreaded episode 7. Any tips? Should I be at any level in particular so I'm not at a disadvantage? Everyone is either level 5 or 6.

So I'm about to play the dreaded episode 7. Any tips? Should I be at any level in particular so I'm not at a disadvantage? Everyone is either level 5 or 6.

Stay in cover, including Edelweiss (unless you have an engineer). That mission doesn't kid around.

Keep a save or two and you'll be able to overcome whatever is thrown at you.

Finalow

There's a report dealing with this, y'know.
It was clearing distracting him, and the report explains how he overcame it.

Not every person reacts to grief & loss in the same way.
oh, I didn't unlock any report about that yet. nevermind then, that's just what I wanted.

and my point wasn't exactly how he reacts to that. since, you know, he barely does. (not considering the report)

Durante

Finally managed to get an A on the Edy detachment mission.
Not having orders or equipment selection, combined with
infinitely respawning enemies
, makes this one of the hardest A's in the game IMHO.

screenshot_2014-11-23h2kna.jpg

VEG-TA-BLES!
oh, I didn't unlock any report about that yet. nevermind then, that's just what I wanted.

and my point wasn't exactly how he reacts to that. since, you know, he barely does. (not considering the report)

I suppose I see what you're saying, though it's never bothered me because he's always seemed like a stoic sort of fellow.

The nonlinear, report-style of unlocking stuff is a brilliant addition... I'm still shocked more games don't use VC's style of story presentation. A game like Dragon Age 2 would have benefitted immensely from it.

Falk

that puzzling face
That song better be good.

It's actually Gallia's WMD

VEG-TA-BLES!

I suppose I see what you're saying, though it's never bothered me because he's always seemed like a stoic sort of fellow.

The nonlinear, report-style of unlocking stuff is a brilliant addition... I'm still shocked more games don't use VC's style of story presentation. A game like Dragon Age 2 would have benefitted immensely from it.

Does the last Gears of War count?

:lol

Does the last Gears of War count?

:lol
Seriously? Hrm...

I think most developers are instinctively opposed to it because it is anti-immersion, which is something a lot of devs strive for. But the structure is perfect for both replayability and additional content, which is why I'm shocked more of them don't use it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Heh, was just thinking what a speedrunner's heaven VC must be considering the more you skip/faster you go the better your levels.

Chariot

Yeah, a lot of RPGs could use that well. And every inconsistency can essentially hand waved with an unreliable narrator.

Great skill, but Strong-Willed still better. :p
Really situational, sometimes the extra action is really amazing.

---

Only two Hard Skirmishes left to do. I am currently stuck at Naggiar. I managed to beat it after a few tries on C. The Gatling Guns are no joke in this narrow area and without tank (the Edelweiss is stuck in the trench due 60fps). It's 60fps hell :,D Then again I use a bug for my benefit for balance. On the third camp the Shocks use Flamethrower against encrouched enemy on the ledge, but they never hit. So one single Shock if my own is enough to keep the whole camp in chess and then conquer it fairly easy when the reactionfire killed everyone.
What gives me a headache is the last one. Due lack of cover the called Shocks saw my own troops into dust.

Durante

Hard Worker? Strong-Willed? Nice and all, but Mysterious Body is still the most ridiculously OP potential :p

Major tactical spoiler (cheating really):

Remember rocket jumping in Quake?

You can grenade yourself over barricades
I had no idea. Makes sense though.

Has anyone found any use for mortars ever? That pitiful range and parabola (or lack there of) for their shot is pretty bad. Furthermore, it seems like rifle grenades do what they do but way better.

Falk

that puzzling face
You talking about the lancer mortars?

They pack a bigger punch at the highest upgrades. Also 3 in one turn phase.

dramatis

Has anyone found any use for mortars ever? That pitiful range and parabola (or lack there of) for their shot is pretty bad. Furthermore, it seems like rifle grenades do what they do but way better.
The spread is bigger and they do more damage, I think?

I admit I rarely used mortars in VC because I found the range to shoot accurately pretty pitiful.

Durante

In my 1.9 (I'm in chapter 17 now on PC) playthroughs I never used a mortar except once to try it. That doesn't necessarily mean that they suck, but they are certainly no game-changers. Unlike, say, flamethrowers.

Perhaps it would have made more sense to make the mortars an add-on to the normal anti-tank lances.

Erheller

Major tactical spoiler (cheating really):

Remember rocket jumping in Quake?

You can grenade yourself over barricades

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Can you sequence break any maps with this?
Like the one where you need the tank to take down a wall to get to the last camp?

Chariot

In my 1.9 (I'm in chapter 17 now on PC) playthroughs I never used a mortar except once to try it. That doesn't necessarily mean that they suck, but they are certainly no game-changers. Unlike, say, flamethrowers.

Perhaps it would have made more sense to make the mortars an add-on to the normal anti-tank lances.
Yeah, pretty much. I need the Lancers for anti-armor, nor for anti-personeel. I have virtually everyone else for that. Taking the anti-tank lances away is just a waste.

Durante

One thing I've noticed now that I'm almost done with the game again:
some of the characters on the Gallian side (that is, Borg and Damon) are portrayed as far more villainous than any of the main characters on the Empire side. The only one who gets an even worse rep is Geld.
This is even more true with the additional information from the Selvaria DLC
that Damon ordered the use of poison gas

Chariot

some of the characters on the Gallian side (that is, Borg and Damon) are portrayed as far more villainous than any of the main characters on the Empire side. The only one who gets an even worse rep is Geld.
Yeah, and Geld was even executed for his behavior by the empire while Damon was accepted until his untimely end.
No, Gallia, you are the demons.

Falk

that puzzling face

Even Maximillian turned out to have a tragic sob story of his own. :'( Granted, not nearly as badly shoehorned in as Ni No Kuni (lol) and he was capable of being a basic dick, but yeah

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
You played VC3 yet? I'm only on Chapter 3 but there's a new Gallian general there that is obviously a huge scummy backstabbing dick.

Sega pls, give us a VC4 where we play as the good guy Empire.

Chariot

Really? Pretty cool, but how did you do it?
I spent over 3 hours to A the first mission, but I was always getting B or C. Then I added Lynn to my team, and so that happened:
A rank in one turn, thanks to her amazing potentials :D
I used Isara 1. Destroyed one Gatling with a tank, shot a mortar into the frail and finally shot a smoke grenade on the bridge. Than I ran with Audrey through and took out tanks with Audrey. I am not sure anymore how I killed the Ace. I think I try it again sometimes just to see how I did it. But in any case, I used the smoke grenade and a Lancer as main tool.

misho8723

Banned
So that chapter 7. battle wasn't a problem.. the only problem was that I had no idea that you need to force that big tank to move.. wasted 4 or so turns only because that tank was there just standing and so I couldn't destroy his radiators.. anyway, finished this battle in 19 turns with no casualties..
The big battle in chapter 8. was harder and about 3 times someone died (Welkin or Alicia)

Top Bottom