• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Wesker28

I used Isara 1. Destroyed one Gatling with a tank, shot a mortar into the frail and finally shot a smoke grenade on the bridge. Than I ran with Audrey through and took out tanks with Audrey. I am not sure anymore how I killed the Ace. I think I try it again sometimes just to see how I did it. But in any case, I used the smoke grenade and a Lancer as main tool.
This is actually a very good strategy. I never thought of using the smoke grenade before. Somehow, I always keep forgetting it exists lol!
Anyway, thanks for sharing :)

Durante

Chapter 17 is another one which is quite hard to A rank. At least if you do it as you are supposed to (taking all the camps).

Chariot

This is actually a very good strategy. I never thought of using the smoke grenade before. Somehow, I always keep forgetting it exists lol!
Anyway, thanks for sharing :)
Yeah, that thing is amazing. Gave me another easy A in a another hard skirmish.

Chapter 17 is another one which is quite hard to A rank. At least if you do it as you are supposed to (taking all the camps).
Yeah. I just lamed me through, especially when I tried to farm that one royal weapon.

Nyoro SF

Yeah. I have to say the main reason I found this chapter difficult was because the initial positioning of your troops is not good, especially the Shamrock. Capturing the base in the lower left corner was pure hell.

Durante

Yeah. I have to say the main reason I found this chapter difficult was because the initial positioning of your troops is not good, especially the Shamrock. Capturing the base in the lower left corner was pure hell.
I captured that base in turn 1 with Alicia. ZM Kar 8 + Awaken potential GO!
The good thing about playing the game for the second time is that I can be totally shameless about my strategies.

Finally started playing this game. I'm on chapter 6 or 7, and while I'm loving the hell out of it, I feel like I'm really bad. I typically lose a unit or two every plot battle, and I typically get C & D ranks. I often find myself either needing to or wanting to start a battle over once I see the enemy's unit makeup.

Any tips for gitting gud?

Enron

Banned
Finally started playing this game. I'm on chapter 6 or 7, and while I'm loving the hell out of it, I feel like I'm really bad. I typically lose a unit or two every plot battle, and I typically get C & D ranks. I often find myself either needing to or wanting to start a battle over once I see the enemy's unit makeup.

Any tips for gitting gud?

Use snipers. Take two of them, and use them to soften up the enemy to make it easier for your scouts and shocks to manuver to cover.

Finalow

what are flamethrowers good for? Just unlocked them.

Major tactical spoiler (cheating really):

Remember rocket jumping in Quake?

You can grenade yourself over barricades
the fuck. I have to try this.

anyway I feel like I shouldn't use the Shamrock at all and save CPs.

Chariot

what are flamethrowers good for? Just unlocked them.

the fuck. I have to try this.

anyway I feel like I shouldn't use the Shamrock at all and save CPs.
The ignore cover and have a field of effect. Use them against crouched, lying and otherwise defending enemies. Its also very effective against bunkers.

Wesker28

Finally, I got my last medal: The Golden Arms of Gallia.
8wWYS0q.jpg
... and now I don't know what to do with my life
Anyway, I have to thank GAF for getting me interested in this game. I saw this game back in 2009 for the PS3, but I ignored it. I never expected to enjoy it as much as I did.
But now I see why people loved this game so much.
Oh man now I want to see VC2 and VC3 on Steam. Come on, SEGA. Make it happen :c

Falk

that puzzling face
I actually had to farm the last few hundred or so because scout rushing lol.

Turns out Shocktrooper challenge is amazing for that. After some prep
killing the snipers off
you essentially stand there with Ruhm and end phase, and the enemies basically suicide into you. Then you mop up after 3 turns.

edit: Showdown is done! (It plays on player phases where Against the Odds plays on enemy phases, generally on the 'boss' maps e.g.
Batomys, Equus
)

All I can say is, I picked an interesting project. Quite the ear-training/transcription workout.

AIVmweE.jpg

Finalow

farming hidden potentials in Skirmish 1 by rescuing a fallen ally still works? Do I have to finish the Skirmish or I can just leave it and it's still unlocked?

lol, nice.

-
that's the longest medal/achievement to get?

Yeah, one action vs two. Plus the aoe can take out multiple enemies at once without any kind of ammunition.
right now I can't oneshot enemies with flamethrowers so it's still 2 turns. they are useful for bunkers and multiple enemies though.

Falk

that puzzling face
farming hidden potentials in Skirmish 1 by rescuing a fallen ally still works? Do I have to finish the Skirmish or I can just leave it and it's still unlocked?

As far as I know you have to finish it for it to count. (That's what I did, anyway)

Did someone order some cheese with their plot-twist? 3-turn
Ch14
A-Rank GET. Can probably shave it down to 2-turn once I get some high-end Sniper orders readied up in NG+

Anyway: OPINION here. Chapter 9 is the biggest tease in all of gaming. I mean,
goddamnit, if they weren't going to give us a follow-up to THAT, VC2 shouldn't have beat around the bush and instead gave us balls-to-the-wall Federation troopers instead of puppets like it's the goddamned People's Republic of Donetsk (Federation is Russia confirmed? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) )

While I'm still here: Am I the only one who wished that
Alicia
kept
her appearance
after Ch14? I can't help but feel that some weight is lost on the
plot twist
since there's no permanent visual mark of sort to signify and cement what
Alicia
is. I mean, just the
red eyes
would be enough, or failing that, have
her ditch the old scarf.

Durante

... and now I don't know what to do with my life
Anyway, I have to thank GAF for getting me interested in this game. I saw this game back in 2009 for the PS3, but I ignored it. I never expected to enjoy it as much as I did.
But now I see why people loved this game so much.
Oh man now I want to see VC2 and VC3 on Steam. Come on, SEGA. Make it happen :c
I'm just happy a few more people got to discover how great this game is. (And probably some more yet with the next Steam sale)

Lol.

xBladeM6x

This picture personifies what this thread has turned into.

not%20GMO%20vegan%20cheese%20but%20could%20you%20tell%20anyway.jpg

It really does seem too easy to cheese certain missions though. Lol

Durante

The Bonus one for Varrot with 3 enemy Scouts should also count.
Doesn't give as much XP as Skirmish 7 though...
I wouldn't even call it "cheesing" in that case, because it's just intended to be that short.

I don't think they intend for you to do Skirmish 7 in 2 CP ;)

Durante

2 CP? How?
(I need a full round)
2 CP was actually a bit wrong now that I think about it. It's 2 CP spent on unit movement, but also a few on orders.

Basically, Alicia + ZM Kar 8 + Awaken + Caution, run up, kill the 2 dudes at the camp, done.

Chariot

2 CP was actually a bit wrong now that I think about it. It's 2 CP spent on unit movement, but also a few on orders.

Basically, Alicia + ZM Kar 8 + Awaken + Caution, run up, kill the 2 dudes at the camp, done.
That goes only for easy and normal, yes?

You can finish Fouzen Hard in one round. That are 26.5k exp/79k DCT vs 18k exp/50k DCT.

Falk

that puzzling face
That goes only for easy and normal, yes?

I've also done Hard Windmill Plaza in one round because Alicia + Awaken Potential.

Nowhere near as consistent though since Mysterious Body and/or Double Movement don't have a 100% chance to trigger.

Chariot

I've also done Hard Windmill Plaza in one round because Alicia + Awaken Potential.

Nowhere near as consistent though since Mysterious Body and/or Double Movement don't have a 100% chance to trigger.
Does that work with the two Gatlings at the end? Gatlings shredder my people like paper, all of them.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, that's where you need to be able to essentially oneshot them before you die and then pray for Mysterious Body to trigger so you can take out the next.

Chariot

Well, that's where you need to be able to essentially oneshot them before you die and then pray for Mysterious Body to trigger so you can take out the next.
That sounds like a hassle. If it doesn't trigger and Alicia dies you wasted time. And that for a difference of 2k exp/3k DCT. I still think that No.5 is the superior one if you just want to farm.

Falk

that puzzling face
No, Windmill Plaza hard is awful for farming. I was just saying it's also doable in one turn since the topic came up.

p.s. Windmill Plaza normal remains the most efficient method.

BadWolf

Started this yesterday and this game is just such a pleasure to play.

Reminds me of games I expected from Japan in the PS1 and PS2 days. The visual style is also wonderful, feels like a combination of Studio Ghibli and Metal Slug.

How does leveling work in this game? Is it important to give characters turns to level them up or is it okay to use up CP on individual units for efficiency?

Chariot

I just captured a run with Skirmish 05 on Hard in one round/4 CP/no orders(less than 1:30 minutes to prove my point.

Does anybody know a good video capture software, mine is eating a bit on the performance and the video that is output is even worse. I want to have good looking videos when I do something like this :(

Talking about cheese, is there any shocktrooper character with any movement-enhancing potentials?
Sadly not.

Falk

that puzzling face
Okay, that's more efficient than WP Normal!

Personally using Shadowplay. No reason to use anything else honestly.

I just captured a run with Skirmish 05 on Hard in one round/4 CP/no orders(less than 1:30 minutes to prove my point.

Does anybody know a good video capture software, mine is eating a bit on the performance and the video that is output is even worse. I want to have good looking videos when I do something like this :(
What are you using? OBS doesn't eat up too much performance, but setting it up can be a pain in the ass. IIRC, AMD's Raptor thing has a built in video capture system sort of like Shadowplay, but I don't remember if you can just leave it running or it only records a set amount of time.

Chariot

What are you using? OBS doesn't eat up too much performance, but setting it up can be a pain in the ass. IIRC, AMD's Raptor thing has a built in video capture system sort of like Shadowplay, but I don't remember if you can just leave it running or it only records a set amount of time.
I'm using a program for livestream.com, with expected crappy outcome.

Installing raptr right now.

edit: my output with raptr and obs aren't looking well either. I guess that my PC is too weak to capture at 1080p in a decent quality.

How does leveling work in this game? Is it important to give characters turns to level them up or is it okay to use up CP on individual units for efficiency?
I'll give this a shot, excuse me if I miss anything.

First you don't level individual characters over awakening their hidden potential. The XP you gain in battle is spent on unit classes in the training ground, so every unit in that class (say your scouts) are all leveled at the same time.

To awaken a character's hidden potential. As you use a character, like being picked for a mission, getting kills or calling the medic they accrue points in battle. When the character reaches I think 5 points, you go to Ellet and she will say she has interviewed the new rising star of Squad 7. Now all the characters that has accrued enough points will have their hidden potential awakened.

Durante

To awaken a character's hidden potential. As you use a character like being picked for a mission, getting kills or calling the medic they accrue points in battle. When the character reaches I think 5 points, when you go to Ellet she will say she has interviewed the new rising star of Squad 7. Now all the characters that has accrued enough points will have their hidden potential awakened.
To add to this, even once potentials are available they don't necessarily trigger always or even often. They have a random probability to trigger, mostly when a specific even occurs (e.g. "character enters grass" or "finishes turn" or "runs out of AP"). There are Orders later in the game to increase that probability (and combined with fully unlocked potentials that can be pretty OP).

Chariot

I just realized, that the difference between WP and UF is even bigger than I thought since I didn't calculate the Base Reward in.

WP Normal: 18.600 + 37.200 = 55.800 EXP / 50875 + 60125 = 111.000 DCT
UF Hard: 26520 + 53040 = 79.560 EXP / 79.915 + 82.445 = 162.360 DCT

The advantage of Windmill Plaza is of course, that you don't have access to hard until NG+. So WP is still the best first playthrough skirmish to farm EXP and DCT fast. And I don't think that this changes.

Top Bottom