• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Finalow

That sounds like a hassle. If it doesn't trigger and Alicia dies you wasted time. And that for a difference of 2k exp/3k DCT. I still think that No.5 is the superior one if you just want to farm.
nope, Skirmish 7 gives you 50000 exp and it's really really easy and fast, 2-3 minutes on normal. not sure on hard since I don't have that unlocked but why would you do that on hard.
I'm pretty sure that Skirmish 7 is by far the most effective farming method. edit/ or not, gg

you don't even need awaken, caution + defence boost and you're good to go. or even just caution.

As far as I know you have to finish it for it to count. (That's what I did, anyway)
damn, that sounds boring as fuck if I have to do it with most of the recruits.

It really depends on your way of playing. If you are scout rushing like me, then yes. It is the longest achievement to get.
uh I just unlocked 250 killed enemies and I'm at chapter 15.

probably that will be the last one for me as well. if I ever manage to 100% it, I have yet to start some games and more are coming in the next week. this game seems to need at least 50-70 hours for the 100%.

Chariot

nope, Skirmish 7 gives you 50000 exp and it's really really easy and fast, 2-3 minutes on normal. not sure on hard since I don't have that unlocked but why would you do that on hard.
Look at my last post, I did the math and a video that shows the mission in less than 90 seconds without orders or scouts. Yes, 07 is the best as on normal, but not universally. As soon as one is in NG+ 05 is the way to farm.

Mohasus

I completely forgot about neutralize in chapter 15-b. Luckily I found an angle that I could shot but the counter wouldn't hit me.

Finalow

Look at my last post, I did the math and a video that shows the mission in less than 90 seconds without orders or scouts. Yes, 07 is the best as on normal, but not universally. As soon as one is in NG+ 05 is the way to farm.
you can't do that on normal in NG+ or what? Otherwise I don't see why you would go for hard.

Chariot

you're right, that's seems better. works only on NG+ then?

do you carry over all your levels? If so I'll avoid to max all the classes before going in NG+
Yes, you carry over everything but the main story progress. You have to play the story missions again to get to later missions, but the skirmishes will still be there, as will your level progress, upgrades and your weapons. And you will have to play a few story missions to get all recruits back. You start again only with a selection. Btu when they join, they will have their potentials and levels, etc.

There are even some things you just can do in NG+, getting a certain recruit and the 30r weapons.

BadWolf

I'll give this a shot, excuse me if I miss anything.

First you don't level individual characters over awakening their hidden potential. The XP you gain in battle is spent on unit classes in the training ground, so every unit in that class (say your scouts) are all leveled at the same time.

To awaken a character's hidden potential. As you use a character, like being picked for a mission, getting kills or calling the medic they accrue points in battle. When the character reaches I think 5 points, you go to Ellet and she will say she has interviewed the new rising star of Squad 7. Now all the characters that has accrued enough points will have their hidden potential awakened.

To add to this, even once potentials are available they don't necessarily trigger always or even often. They have a random probability to trigger, mostly when a specific even occurs (e.g. "character enters grass" or "finishes turn" or "runs out of AP"). There are Orders later in the game to increase that probability (and combined with fully unlocked potentials that can be pretty OP).

Thanks guys :)

Haunted

2 CP was actually a bit wrong now that I think about it. It's 2 CP spent on unit movement, but also a few on orders.

Basically, Alicia + ZM Kar 8 + Awaken + Caution, run up, kill the 2 dudes at the camp, done.
Really now.

Running through with Alicia on the first turn and a couple orders, eh.

Totally breaking the game and the easiest way to get A ranks.

I see, I see.

:p

Durante

Towards the end-game, with full (or almost full) upgrades, levels, potentials and DLC weapons, yeah.

As far as I'm concerned it's a sign of a good RPG that it's possible to break it apart towards the end, otherwise it doesn't give you enough tools to be interesting :p

Chariot

I just tried Falk's Naggiar skirmish hard method

And failed. I managed to get my people of the barricade without them fully dying, but I am not sure that I can get the mission to a good end with them half dead and then going over another barrier. Until they are healed up again I could've just conquered the three camps the regular way :,D
Nevertheless an interesting mechanic.

Falk

that puzzling face
wat

first CP, get Alicia over, end her CP near barricade, get someone else to heal her, get Alicia over second barricade, pretty standard scout rush after that. Completely bypasses the northern section of the map. Doesn't have to be done in one turn as long as you snipe anyone who can potentially shoot at people out on the plain

Chariot

wat

first CP, get Alicia over, end her CP near barricade, get someone else to heal her, get Alicia over second barricade, pretty standard scout rush after that. Completely bypasses the northern section of the map. Doesn't have to be done in one turn as long as you snipe anyone who can potentially shoot at people out on the plain
Gotta try that again. I hate scout rushes, if I only could get the Edelweiss out of the trench. I love my smoke grenade. :,(

Gonna try that again tonight.

Aru

I've just beaten VC3. Really superior to the second game, and I think it has the better story of the 3 games.
I hope SEGA releases it on PC someday. I will probably replay VC1 in a year or two, I want to avoid franchise fatigue.
While the mini-maps were probably made because PSP has weaker hardware, I think it makes the games relatively easier than the first. I remember struggling a lot in VC1 but in VC2 and 3 I got S ranks in most missions, including the boss battles!

Great IP, I hope SEGA continues to develop it.

I've just beaten VC3. Really superior to the second game, and I think it has the better story of the 3 games.
I hope SEGA releases it on PC someday. I will probably replay VC1 in a year or two, I want to avoid franchise fatigue.
While the mini-maps were probably made because PSP has weaker hardware, I think it makes the games relatively easier than the first. I remember struggling a lot in VC1 but in VC2 and 3 I got S ranks in most missions, including the boss battles!

Great IP, I hope SEGA continues to develop it.

VC3 was otherwise great (and far better than VC2) but you could really notice the lack of budget with that game. They reused maps and background art even more than in VC2. Kinda tedious to play same map just from different angle for a tenth time and look at the same background art all the time when you progressed trough the story. Shame as otherwise I liked its darker tone.

Knurek

I completely forgot about neutralize in chapter 15-b. Luckily I found an angle that I could shot but the counter wouldn't hit me.

Or you could've just driven Welkin up there and fired up the smoke grenade to cover path to the boss. :)
Just cleared that mission by Alicia rushing in three turns.

Durante

I just completed the game on PC. Which makes it the third (non-arcade) game I've ever completed more than once. And it's worth it.

One thing I noticed, in one of the final cutscenes:
When Faldio appears after disabling the power source, in the English translation Welkin says "Faldio, you made it!" which makes no sense at all - as far as he knows up to that point Faldio's in the brig. In Japanese, as far as I can tell with my almost non-existent skills, he says something like "Faldio, but how?". Which makes far more sense.

Chariot

Or you could've just driven Welkin up there and fired up the smoke grenade to cover path to the boss. :)
Just cleared that mission by Alicia rushing in three turns.
Funny enough this was a mission where I refused to use a smoke grenade and instead scout rushed with orders. Oh god, I am a strategy hipster, aren't I? D:

Nyoro SF

I just completed the game on PC. Which makes it the third (non-arcade) game I've ever completed more than once. And it's worth it.

One thing I noticed, in one of the final cutscenes:
When Faldio appears after disabling the power source, in the English translation Welkin says "Faldio, you made it!" which makes no sense at all - as far as he knows up to that point Faldio's in the brig. In Japanese, as far as I can tell with my almost non-existent skills, he says something like "Faldio, but how?". Which makes far more sense.

This happens a LOT in the game. The localization is really shitty and actually ruins the presentation and nuances of a lot of scenes. It's really embarrassing work and whoever translated like this should be ashamed of the butchering they did.

Chariot

It's serviceable. There are far worse examples out there.
Nonetheless it isn't optimal. Hopefully the next incarnation will have a better translation.

--

So, anyone likes tables? I made a overview table of Squad 7 with stats, likes and potentials. Sorry, for the look, I know it looks like babys first html playground. You can mark a whole column by ordering it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm not sure if I accidentally cheesed chapter 9 or if it's supposed to be that easy. All the corners in the area got me excited to use everyone but it ended pretty quickly, lol.

I moved the Edelweiss to the right and that closed the middle road, then I had Jane move north and kill the enemy's Scout and Lancer and wait there. The APC arrived and did negligible damage on her, then it turned south. In the second turn I had Jane go all "die Imps" on the APC's radiator that was right in front of her, and I still had CP left after she took care of it alone.

Chariot

I'm not sure if I accidentally cheesed chapter 9 or if it's supposed to be that easy. All the corners in the area got me excited to use everyone but it ended pretty quickly, lol.

I moved the Edelweiss to the right and that closed the middle road, then I had Jane move north and kill the enemy's Scout and Lancer and wait there. The APC arrived and did negligible damage on her, then it turned south. In the next turn I had Jane go all "die Imps" on the APC's radiator that was right in front of her, and I still had CP left after she took care of it alone.
You cheesed it a bit, interesting method.
Most of us who cheesed it, did the same, but more aggressive. Not moving the tank at all and just go full ham with a Shock. When in doubt deployment of two additonal Shocks in the middle, so when the APC arrives there you would have them ready. Most of the time the one Shock trooper was enough though. Best way to win the mission is not to do what the mission recommends :D

Durante

This happens a LOT in the game.
I noticed a few instances where there was a pretty big difference, but those were mostly stylistic and made sense (e.g. you can't just have characters meaningfully say their names to each other in English). That one I talked about was one instance which stood out to me since it actually alters the meaning to something which doesn't make sense in context.

Nyoro SF

I noticed a few instances where there was a pretty big difference, but those were mostly stylistic and made sense (e.g. you can't just have characters meaningfully say their names to each other in English). That one I talked about was one instance which stood out to me since it actually alters the meaning to something which doesn't make sense in context.

Yeah that wasn't what I was mentioning before though (although I do think saying each other's names meaningfully is definitely a thing in English). Sorry about that, you were talking more about a sentence being literally wrong in context.

EDIT: Hold a moment. Saying another person's name standalone in English conversation is definitely a common thing. I'm not crazy, right?

Nyoro SF

Are the two tanks in chapter 17 supposed to be invincible from bullits hitting their radiator ? Had to sneak some lancers in their back to destroy them.

The theme of the mission is
the enemy bases protect the tanks from indirect damage
but they don't spell it out very well. Essentially you can still
kill the tanks, but only with explosive attacks like lances and tank shots on the radiator.
It was very confusing when I
reduced the health of the first tank to 0 by attacking it using Largo from the front and it didn't explode
, thought my game was glitched.

The theme of the mission is
the enemy bases protect the tanks from indirect damage
but they don't spell it out very well. Essentially you can still
kill the tanks, but only with explosive attacks like lances and tank shots on the radiator.
It was very confusing when I
reduced the health of the first tank to 0 by attacking it using Largo from the front and it didn't explode
, thought my game was glitched.

I just reread your quote and realised that I meant chapter 14 (the one with the two tanks with incendiary rounds) !
Thanks for the advice though.

jett

D-Member
Jesusfuckingchrist eternally respawning enemies again in chapter 18. I take a break for a week from this game. The break should've been eternal just like the spawn rate in this mission.

Chariot

1024x573.resizedimage

Yeeeesh!
And yet a whole DLC and two challenge missions to play (and I didn't even count the Ex Skirmishes that I will maybe try, but probably don't finish).

In the end I used for 08 Falk's technique.
It got better when I stopped moving anyone but Alicia and hid her in the middle of the field with a smoke bomb that my crippled Edelweiss shot somewhere.

09 was a joke again, I did it with only one failure.
At first I tried to break through with the Shamrocks Flamethrower, but I quickly realized that I had too few CP to do that and send someone after it. And then in there was this gigantic respawn in the next round. When I saw that the enemy didn't actually reach my camp in that one turn I restarted and just did nothing in the first round. Enemy didn't kill anybody and just put his troops forward, so attacked the main camp with the Shamrock again and clouded the middle of the path with the Edelweiss so that awakened Alicia could just run to the main camp.

Jesusfuckingchrist eternally respawning enemies again in chapter 18. I take a break for a week from this game. The break should've been eternal just like the spawn rate in this mission.
Yeah. Hardest (Story) mission of the game for me. Still not that hard but I had to load several times during the chapter and still got an B rank. That one fricking CP that separated me from A rank....

Well just finished my first playthrough now, holy shit it is in the top 5 jrpg's that I've played up to now, second playthrough incoming, I want all the medals, achievements, and I'll be having a crack at the dlc as well.

Chariot

Huh, I found chapter 18 relatively easy.
Just bring one or two Lancers up to the Lance, set the Edelweiss back to the max and shoot a mortar on the guys left, put in a Shock as defense against respawn and maybe an engineer to the Edelweiss to repair in case of emergency. Another one to the lancers if there is no Audrey.

But then again I found no story mission particular difficult per se. Everything was solvable with a bit of experimenting. Some stuff were just very annoying, like Maiden's Shield or 14. Fuck those two :(
Seriously, I HATE 14, because you have essentially to cheat to get an A. No way that this goes naturally.

Durante

Yeah, the A requirement in 14 is pretty ridiculous. Probably the worst in the main story missions.
17 is also hard, but at least solvable without (ab)using previous map knowledge.

EDIT: Hold a moment. Saying another person's name standalone in English conversation is definitely a common thing. I'm not crazy, right?
If you mean simply saying "Alica Melchiott" (for example) as an entire sentence, the answer is no. In fact, verbal tics like that are a problem in anime localizations, because real English speakers don't use a person's full name unless they're introducing a person or being really formal.

Mohasus

I thought both missions in chapter 18 were easy.

How I did it:
First turn:
Smoke bomb
Destroy the damaged plating
Rush a scout and kill the elite near the heat-sinks
Run with Jann there, should take 2 CP
End turn

Second turn:
Destroy both heat-sinks with your scout
Attack the lance 6 times. Order a resupply when you're out of ammo
I even had an engineer there but it wasn't necessary
Done

18-b:
Smoke and neutralize are OP

I need a VC dating sim. Cordelia is the best waifu
the other 2 good options are dead.

Nyoro SF

If you mean simply saying "Alica Melchiott" (for example) as an entire sentence, the answer is no. In fact, verbal tics like that are a problem in anime localizations, because real English speakers don't use a person's full name unless they're introducing a person or being really formal.

Yeah I didn't mean full names, just the first ones. "Alicia" used by itself with tone shifts to indicate concern, annoyance, or endearment, etc. would be common in English.

This game was released in 2008 before I feel that global localization standards were raised. People are a lot more aware now of shoddy jobs, like the recent Tales of Hearts R game.

Mohasus

HOLY SHIT HAHAHA.

So, I'm doing NG+ and on the third mission my fully upgraded Eldeweiss misses and destroys the gate.

I'd be mad if it weren't funny.

I just got a Lenovo Yoga 2 ultrabook for backpacking. My ASUS ROG 750J was too heavy for long walks. Right now I'm in a place with wifi and trying it out.

I'm downloading Valkyria Chronicles on Steam. And I'm hoping I can play it on low settings.
Do you think I can play it?

Falk

that puzzling face
I just got a Lenovo Yoga 2 ultrabook for backpacking. My ASUS ROG 750J was too heavy for long walks. Right now I'm in a place with wifi and trying it out.

I'm downloading Valkyria Chronicles on Steam. And I'm hoping I can play it on low settings.

It's an excellent port of a game that runs on 2006 hardware. So yes. Probably.

Marche90

Seeing how I'm running the game on a laptop that only packs a Celeron 2955U and the integrated graphics at 720p30fps with very rare dips (I'm looking at you, Kloden Wildwood), I'm going to say yes, you can.

This game runs on a potato. I am also running Intel integrated from like 2010 and it runs decently good at 540p to 720p. In fact only issues with framerate is gameplay related. Talking head scenes run at stable 30fps

Go for it dude

GXAlan

Finally managed to get an A on the Edy detachment mission.
Not having orders or equipment selection, combined with
infinitely respawning enemies
, makes this one of the hardest A's in the game IMHO.

I agree. It is definitely impossible on the first try. You can only do it if you send Edy out on the first turn.

It was SUPER annoying when badguy in the rear would spawn and none of my soldiers would fire from the shielded position. I think the trick was to launch a grenade where the sniper was located on the first team and taking out the rear tank in a single shot by running through the gunfire to hit the engine.

I wish there was more than just that single mission though!

Top Bottom