• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Falk

that puzzling face
So VC has really scratched my SRPG itch, and I don't want to play VC2/VC3 just yet (JUUUUST in case they come to Steam, because cheevos, heh) and I really don't want to play a grid-based SRPG right now, so no Fire Emblem/FFT/etc.

Thinking of picking up NAtURAL DOCtRINE on PS3 just because of how hardcore people make it out to be.

The other option would be XCOM:EW again, I guess. Even if that's grid-based, the cover mechanics make it at least a little more aware of level geometry/etc.

Mohasus

I agree. It is definitely impossible on the first try. You can only do it if you send Edy out on the first turn.

It was SUPER annoying when badguy in the rear would spawn and none of my soldiers would fire from the shielded position. I think the trick was to launch a grenade where the sniper was located on the first team and taking out the rear tank in a single shot by running through the gunfire to hit the engine.

I wish there was more than just that single mission though!

Leave Lynn behind that spot. The scout will spawn, walk a little, shoot her and die to the counter. Then leave Jann on the other side (attack the sandbag near the tank to make things easier for Edy), he has enough HP and armor to tank all those scouts and shocktroopers (they'll stop to attack him instead of entering the marked area).

Durante

So VC has really scratched my SRPG itch, and I don't want to play VC2/VC3 just yet (JUUUUST in case they come to Steam, because cheevos, heh) and I really don't want to play a grid-based SRPG right now, so no Fire Emblem/FFT/etc.

Thinking of picking up NAtURAL DOCtRINE on PS3 just because of how hardcore people make it out to be.

The other option would be XCOM:EW again, I guess. Even if that's grid-based, the cover mechanics make it at least a little more aware of level geometry/etc.
Have you ever played Sakura Wars?

Falk

that puzzling face
I never finished them, but I might go back I guess.

Natural Doctrine seems a little more compelling though because trophies omfg what's wrong with me

Durante

Which version? Is So Long My Love any good?
I've been wanting to play it, kinda forgot I have the game.
I played the PS2 version of So Long My Love, since it's the only one with dual audio. And I played it in PCSX2, which, IIRC, I did some ad-hoc hacking to to make it work :p

Knurek

Jagged Alliance?
Incubation?
Close Combat 3?

Giran

If you know Japanase or simply don't care about story/characters and are willing to play by memorizing commands then you could check out the PSP Shining games.
iUpZwkGaVegDi.PNG

There's also Growlanser, which is supposed to be pretty good, and a game called Skulls of the Shogun on Steam.

For the record, I haven't tried any of these.

CivRab

Loving the game so far, but one thing really annoys me with these dual audio games the English subs don't match the Japanese properly and are just the subs for the English Language version, I don't understand Japanese enough to play the whole game subless but I understand enough to notice the differences oh well... apart from that the game is excellent

Falk

that puzzling face
JA: played JA2 to death, new JA bored me to tears. Might revisit at a later point

Skulls of the Shogun has some fundamental design flaws which makes it really hard to get into. It tries to be different but I felt it ends up with you basically micromanaging positions every turn. Super disappointed considering how it came out in a time where TBS was really scarce. :|

The Shining games are a little iffy. I initially felt like they did a disservice to the originals, but considering how right now my opinion has turned on its head and I'm a little sick of the originals (as in, square-based in general) I might give them a spin.

Currently doing a Classic/Ironman playthrough of XCOM:EW. I guess I'll decide after!

I got my first gameover, doing the infamous Desert Duel with Maxamillion. The sad thing is that it wasn't even Selvaria that took me out, I'm pretty sure my units were far enough away to be safe from her. I just forgot to move the Edelweiss from the front of the megatank and it got oneshot by the main cannon.

Still haven't lost any troops. I'm trying to Ironman my way through this game (and no skirmishes) so that's a good thing so far. I'm just glad I managed to snag the Retreat order from the graveyard dude. I have a strong hunch that it'll be very useful for this sort of run.

jett

D-Member
It's too bad this game suffers from "last level is so bad it makes me hate the entire game" syndrome. The two final missions in this game are total shit.

Shengar

S Rank only exist in Japanese version right? If so, then how they rework the ranking tier for overseas release? Does they raise the rank (S become A, and so on) or just simply makes the perquisite for S rank included in A rank? If its the former, then the absurd requirement to 1 turn (or absurdly low turn count) for some mission makes sense since S rank feels like something supposedly achieved in NG+, not on your first try of the missions. But if its the latter, then we can just said that the ranking system is even more broken.

Durante

It's simple renaming. S is A, A is B etc.

It's too bad this game suffers from "last level is so bad it makes me hate the entire game" syndrome. The two final missions in this game are total shit.
What's so bad about them? I'd say they are pretty good -- and unlike one or two others in the main game they don't suddenly drop a surprise "gotcha" at you.

Shengar

Yeah, what I mean is simple renaming. Japanese B rank is a very reasonable to achieve on your first try if you decent at strategy game. But since they renamed it to "C", its unintentionally implying that your skill is below average.

Yeah, I'm very upset that I got C Rank on my first try of Chapter 3 :mad:

jett

D-Member
It's simple renaming. S is A, A is B etc.

What's so bad about them? I'd say they are pretty good -- and unlike one or two others in the main game they don't suddenly drop a surprise "gotcha" at you.

Regenerating enemies in one, regenerating health in the other. To me they're just annoying.

Chariot

Regenerating enemies in one, regenerating health in the other. To me they're just annoying.
Not a bother if you know where they spawn and not a bother if you don't give him time to regenerate. Bossfight is pretty straight forward.

Durante

I'd say
that the respawning enemies in 18a are trivial, you can kill them without spending CP just by positioning a few units right. And if they weren't there it would be too easy. Same for 18b, where's the challenge if Max doesn't regenerate at least a bit?

Haunted

I just completed the game on PC. Which makes it the third (non-arcade) game I've ever completed more than once. And it's worth it.

One thing I noticed, in one of the final cutscenes:
When Faldio appears after disabling the power source, in the English translation Welkin says "Faldio, you made it!" which makes no sense at all - as far as he knows up to that point Faldio's in the brig. In Japanese, as far as I can tell with my almost non-existent skills, he says something like "Faldio, but how?". Which makes far more sense.
Even with my rudimentary self-taught Japanese knowledge, I've noticed a ton of this. Especially puzzling as they're often not really complicated structures or phrasing broken down - just short interjections and reaction lines that are really questionably translated, changing the tone and sometimes the actual meaning.

I'd actually go so far as to say that it approaches rewrite territory instead of translation, veering towards the very extreme end of localisation.

It's all internally consistent, but really deviates from the Japanese original. Questionable stuff.

Chariot

Any thoughts to the Engineer challenge?

I got a B and can't really see how I can reduce the time further. I use a Shock (Lynn) and a Lancer (Audrey) to take the middle camp within 3 turns, then I deploy an engineer (Karl) and directly proceed to the tank. Rosie and Alicia stay at the starting point, I only need them for the additional CP. I did swap Largo for Audrey because her ultimate is doing a lot better than his in taking the middle camp, same for Lynn's Hard Worker vs Rosie. Do I have to rush some Engineer through?

Erheller

I didn't bother taking the camp. It's a waste of time since you can run a scout and engineer past the enemies there the first turn and you can use a smoke grenade to cover your tank when you're bringing it to the extraction point.

Nyoro SF

Never forget you have the smoke grenade once you receive it in the story. It is one of the most useful things that I kept forgetting to use.

Durante

Never forget you have the smoke grenade once you receive it in the story. It is one of the most useful things that I kept forgetting to use.
Yeah, same here. I use it in the mission where you get it, think "wow that's useful", and never use it again.

I guess I just have this inherent unwillingness to use the tank at all.

Aw nuts. I looked up
how many chapters there are after 14. I'm nearing the end of the game. I was expected Fire Emblem lengths of campaign time.

Chariot

Aw nuts. I looked up
how many chapters there are after 14. I'm nearing the end of the game. I was expected Fire Emblem lengths of campaign time.
Don't worry, you still have the DLCs and Skirmishes. And if the Gaffers here progress further, we may have some mods soon.
I didn't bother taking the camp. It's a waste of time since you can run a scout and engineer past the enemies there the first turn and you can use a smoke grenade to cover your tank when you're bringing it to the extraction point.
Thanks, will try that!

Durante

Aw nuts. I looked up
I'd say it's better to end leaving you wanting more than you wanting it to end long before it's done ;)

You still have the DLC and the challenges to play at least.

Ultimadrago

Just beat the game for PC. I wasn't sure at first, but I'm going to start a New Game+ to get all the medals. I already did A's on most of the story missions my first time through, so it shouldn't take long for the main story. That said, I held the reports off until this playthrough. So there's that, story and skirmishes (which I also did none of) to get A's in...not sure if want.

Ah well, at least I finally got Audrey (took me much longer to get her this time). So the Alicia, Rosie/Vyse/Jane, Audrey/Jann/Largo, Nadine, Marina sweep team is all together! Now to find the hours to do all these.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was confused that there was no way to see what ranks I have on story missions and skirmishes but I read that a statistics tab unlocks on NG+ (I assume that information will be there). Nice.

On chapter 10 now and still having tons of fun. Pretty funny when right at the end of the first Fouzen mission I had a
hidden Shocktrooper that comes out of the shadows on the upper area
surprising Alicia but she dodged all his shots with him shooting right on her face. Total "at first I was like :( but then I lol'd" moment.

Chariot

I was confused that there was no way to see what ranks I have on story missions and skirmishes but I read that a statistics tab unlocks on NG+ (I assume that information will be there). Nice.
Ayup, will show your best and last ranking on every mission and also count your kills.

Chariot

15b is a bitch. It's really hard to get up there.
Orders or Isara 1 are a good way. I personally did Alicia with orders.

edit:

finished all the challenges. Now only the Blue Flame DLC and a peek at the Ex Skirmishes. Then I am truly finished. Clocking in on Steam on 69 hours, while my game count shows 40 :,D Putting the few hours aside that I lost with my savestat, I still used a lot of time to restart missions to fix my mistakes.

Nyoro SF

15b is a bitch. It's really hard to get up there.

Prioritize killing the Gatling on the left with Edelweiss and killing the tank on the right with a lancer. Use the Shamrock to begin attacking the tank in front. After that, proceed to run and hide all your units behind debris and buildings. The shocktroopers that are on the stairs do not come down and attack you.

This is the mission where it really drove home that you do NOT need to deploy maximum number of troops every time it gives you the option. I think I started with 3/4 foot soldiers.

BadWolf

Reached the
cemetery
area and talked to the old man.

All I could think was "that is Raiden's voice!"

Checked Quinton Flynn's wiki and yup, it's him lol.

Reached the
cemetery
area and talked to the old man.

All I could think was "that is Raiden's voice!"

Checked Quinton Flynn's wiki and yup, it's him lol.

i feel like i'm the only one playing with the weeb voice acting, i think i may even do the same with mgs5, kiefer's voice is really weirding me out

Draikin 2

Even with my rudimentary self-taught Japanese knowledge, I've noticed a ton of this. Especially puzzling as they're often not really complicated structures or phrasing broken down - just short interjections and reaction lines that are really questionably translated, changing the tone and sometimes the actual meaning.

I'd actually go so far as to say that it approaches rewrite territory instead of translation, veering towards the very extreme end of localisation.

It's all internally consistent, but really deviates from the Japanese original. Questionable stuff.
It was Inbound Games who translated the game, and they basically have a "rewrite" section detailed in their work process. Some of their games are listed as "translation" only, Valkyria Chronicles is listed as "translation and rewrite". So it's no coincidence that it seems like a rewrite at times, it was probably done intentionally. As with most rewrites, I really don't see the point in the changes they made though. People that understand Japanese will find it jarring, and for the people that don't I feel like the changes add nothing to the story or characters anyway.

Nyoro SF

It was Inbound Games who translated the game, and they basically have a "rewrite" section detailed in their work process. Some of their games are listed as "translation" only, Valkyria Chronicles is listed as "translation and rewrite". So it's no coincidence that it seems like a rewrite at times, it was probably done intentionally. As with most rewrites, I really don't see the point in the changes they made though. People that understand Japanese will find it jarring, and for the people that don't I feel like the changes add nothing to the story or characters anyway.

It's rather despairing that this game was subjected to a rewrite.

In fact that whole rewrite section is revolting to me.

Rewrite

Rewrites are done by published writers with long experience in writing for videogames. They approach the content with a fresh eye to polish the writing and differentiate character voice. Character growth and story arcs are clarified and highlighted, and humor is added or modified where appropriate. And by temporarily setting aside the original Japanese content, the writers can focus entirely on creating characters and narratives that American gamers can relate to.

67b.jpg

give me pandering weeb shit any day of the week as long as it's the original material, i'm buying a japanese game for a reason (well it's not the only one but you get what i mean)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm curious about what was rewritten, I'll have to check it out after I beat the game in case I don't notice it outright. I'm not against localization changing things but it's a shame that in this case it seemingly wasn't a good result.

i feel like i'm the only one playing with the weeb voice acting, i think i may even do the same with mgs5, kiefer's voice is really weirding me out
I'm playing in English, but as long as it's not horrible I tend to favor the English dub in games because with Japanese I end up ignoring most of the audio and skipping lines mid-sentence after I'm done reading the text below (something I more than occasionally do in English too, but still).

At least Gallia wasn't suddenly America. That amount of flags in the game must've been tempting.

nvr forgit

comic331_zps0e179cf7.png

edit : also we had some amazing shit about that in france, we had an animu there in the 90s (I don't know the original title), but basically it's supposed to take place in tokyo but the translators made it so that the characters say paris' street names and locationseven though the town in the animu looked nothing like it
thing is, in the last episode the mom of a side character comes back from paris and there's the tour effeil and shit in the background so they do a 180° in that last episode and go "nope it was japan all along m8s"

I'm curious about what was rewritten, I'll have to check it out after I beat the game in case I don't notice it outright. I'm not against localization changing things but it's a shame that in this case it seemingly wasn't a good result.

I'm playing in English too, but as long as it's not horrible I tend to favor the English dub in games because with Japanese I end up ignoring most of the audio and skipping lines mid-sentence after I'm done reading the text below (something I more than occasionally do in English too, but still).

it's mostly minor shit but sometimes you get a different meaning for a sentence, it's really weird

Top Bottom