• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Chariot

I just thought about the most quoted line.
"You made it, Faldio.
Maybe this was not related to him being there, but to him being alive. Remember, the squad only knew that the Marmota just waltz right into the castle, were he was contained (or somewhere near). They didn't know how many people died and if the empire didn't just slaughter everyone around just for the lulz. So "You made it" in the sense of "You wasn't killed by that giant landship that literally just walzed into the capitol".

Durante

I just thought about the most quoted line.
"You made it, Faldio.
Maybe this was not related to him being there, but to him being alive. Remember, the squad only knew that the Marmota just waltz right into the castle, were he was contained (or somewhere near). They didn't know how many people died and if the empire didn't just slaughter everyone around just for the lulz. So "You made it" in the sense of "You wasn't killed by that giant landship that literally just walzed into the capitol".
Hmm, I guess you could read it like that. If you're really charitable :p

Haunted

It was Inbound Games who translated the game, and they basically have a "rewrite" section detailed in their work process. Some of their games are listed as "translation" only, Valkyria Chronicles is listed as "translation and rewrite". So it's no coincidence that it seems like a rewrite at times, it was probably done intentionally. As with most rewrites, I really don't see the point in the changes they made though. People that understand Japanese will find it jarring, and for the people that don't I feel like the changes add nothing to the story or characters anyway.
Good detective work!

Happy and sad I was spot on with my analysis. >_>

Wesker28

I finally finished the first Expert skirmish mission
oaRYORZ.jpg
...and oh crap, this mode is insanely hard. Everyone in my team got killed in the first turn, except Lynn (with
Ruhm
) and Welkin. I managed to kill everyone with these two, but damn,
Oswald the Alloy
was super annoying. He kept dodging my bullets! So, I decided to burn him to death with my flamethrower :mad:
Oswald wasn't kidding when he said: "Dodging, I'm good at" in Selvaria's DLC

I guess I will stop playing theses expert missions. They are more frustrating than fun.

Mohasus

I finally finished the first Expert skirmish mission
...and oh crap, this mode is insanely hard. Everyone in my team got killed in the first turn, except Lynn (with
Ruhm
) and Welkin. I managed to kill everyone with these two, but damn,
Oswald the Alloy
was super annoying. He kept dodging my bullets! So, I decided to burn him to death with my flamethrower :mad:
Oswald wasn't kidding when he said: "Dodging, I'm good at" in Selvaria's DLC

I guess I will stop playing theses expert missions. They are more frustrating than fun.

People won't dodge if you shoot them from behind. There was a sniper in Jann's challenge that made me rage until I remembered this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What's the idea behind S-ranking Chapter 7 and getting the Ace?

Selveria or the tank will kill Welkin if he pushes too far toward the infantry starting area on the cliff. Alica can take the radiators out with one grenade (provided they GO IN the radiator) while trying to avoid Selveria, but I'm not sure how fast I can get the tank radiators to pop

Mostly to trigger the second part so I can hammer the mission home. :/

Nyoro SF

What's the idea behind S-ranking Chapter 7 and getting the Ace?

Selveria or the tank will kill Welkin if he pushes too far toward the infantry starting area on the cliff. Alica can take the radiators out with one grenade (provided they GO IN the radiator) while trying to avoid Selveria, but I'm not sure how fast I can get the tank radiators to pop

Mostly to trigger the second part so I can hammer the mission home. :/

If you're focusing on S-Ranking then I recommend watching a youtube video. There's some good ideas in there.

If you want to do it yourself, just keep experimenting, it's pretty straightforward that since
the Batomys main cannon only fires when it has to remove debris, that's the only time the radiators will be open to attack, so place your positions around the tank knowing that knowledge.

Also if you park Edelweiss up above to the reinforcement spawn point Selvaria won't be able to damage you when she fires intercepting fire during your turn. And when it's her turn, she'll run to the Batomys instead of attacking you.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Mission 7? Either on my PS3 or PC runs I never moved Welkin's tank from the start until the last turn when I needed to block Selvaria for the last radiator (to keep her from killing my runner).

thematic

anyone experience crashes when launching the game? Config screen is ok, but once i click play, the app crashes. i already re-installed DX9 and Visuall C++ library, but still can't play on my other desktop (i have 2 desktops, 1 is working like charm)

non working specs:
i5 750 (or similar)
4GB RAM (usable 3GB)
GTS 450
Windows 7 32bit
Newest nVidia Driver

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If you're focusing on S-Ranking then I recommend watching a youtube video. There's some good ideas in there.

If you want to do it yourself, just keep experimenting, it's pretty straightforward that since
the Batomys main cannon only fires when it has to remove debris, that's the only time the radiators will be open to attack, so place your positions around the tank knowing that knowledge.

Also if you park Edelweiss up above to the reinforcement spawn point Selvaria won't be able to damage you when she fires intercepting fire during your turn. And when it's her turn, she'll run to the Batomys instead of attacking you.

Got it. If you screw up the grenade toss it'll throw off your S-rank. :| 9 turn limit is kinda strict. At least it's done.

dani_dc

Chapter 16 is the worst chapter in the game thus far.

There's nothing to it, and without playing it first you have no way of knowing that the only thing you need for the mission is a scout and an engineer (if that much).

Slowing down the Marmota serves little purpose unless you screwed up the selection and have lancers and the such in the map, there's few enemies, so it's basically just moving forward and watching a small cutscene. I ended up reaching the end of the map a good 2-3 turns before Marmota.

No challenge or variety at all.
Really awful mission.

Vade

On mission 18 where you shoot the armor plating and it falls to form a ramp. I am not able to walk up it at all; is this another fps bug and I need to drop from 60?.

Edit: Just tested it at 30 fps and was able to walk up it fine. This is just stupid how the fuck does increasing fps fuck up the physics so much.

dani_dc

On mission 18 where you shoot the armor plating and it falls to form a ramp. I am not able to walk up it at all; is this another fps bug and I need to drop from 60?.

Edit: Just tested it at 30 fps and was able to walk up it fine. This is just stupid how the fuck does increasing fps fuck up the physics so much.

Someone assumed the game would always run at 30fps and did some functions based on frame rate instead of time I'd guess. Bad programming practices essentially.

Knurek

Had no problems @60fps in this mission.

Chariot

You need to step right. It's just an initial resistance. Don't know why.

Nyoro SF

It's actually a modeling bug, doesn't have anything to do with framerate. It's really silly heh. I noticed it too. Luckily this game does not subtract AP if you aren't displacing your position.

Nyoro SF

stuttering tanks say hi

I've never had a stuttering tank problem.

Turning your tank in place is displacing position though, the front and back ends of the tank are turning. If you ran your tank into a wall and held forward you don't lose AP.

Marche90

I've never had a stuttering tank problem.

Turning your tank in place is displacing position though, the front and back ends of the tank are turning. If you ran your tank into a wall and held forward you don't lose AP.

If you use a mouse, you most likely will suffer from that problem. I can barely use the mouse to move the camera when using tanks due to that

Sera O

Banned
I can barely use the mouse to move the camera when using tanks due to that

That was my one complaint about kb/m controls for this game. I kept wasting tank AP by trying to move camera with the mouse, or accidentally turn myself and end with Edelweiss' glowy ass hanging out.

Tank movement got super easy again when I switched back to controller.

Chariot

I automatically pushed 'E' whenever I used a tank. It's not that difficult to get used to. The real problem are ledges, especially on Naggiar. Edelweiss doesn't get her ass out at all and Shamrock is playing Icehockey.

Vashzaron

RATTA, RATTA, BOOM!

Got A ranks on everything now and all the Medals, was semi surprised that my A rank adventure didn't reach me 1,000 kills and I still had to grind about a hundred+.

Wasn't fully surprised because obviously achieving A ranks means skipping a lot of killing usually, which I will say makes me wish more missions were like the EX ones or even some of the Challenge ones.
By that I mean no orders and they aren't a simple capture the main base thing. (Miss the tanks though.)
Running Welkin to the the objective gets close but he's not OP like Alicia and there's some fun setups in some of those missions for him.

Did all the EX missions at 60FPS but lol @ EX Upper Fouzen. @120 FPS I can take a not so rough guess to say you better kill every single of those overwatching sniper tanks before moving Welkin.

On another topic, ragdolls always lead to hilarity in games.

Their KO lines added quite a bit.

Finalow

damn I destroyed the final boss with Vyse. reminder that I never played Skies of Arcadia. :(

finally in ng+. why are some of the recruits missing? Rip Jan.
in order to get the A rank achievement do I have to get A rank even in the missions in which I already got it during the first run? Also do I need A rank in all skirmish difficulties and EX ones as well?

Vashzaron

damn I destroyed the final boss with Vyse. reminder that I never played Skies of Arcadia. :(

finally in ng+. why are some of the recruits missing? Rip Jan.
in order to get the A rank achievement do I have to get A rank even in the missions in which I already got it during the first run? Also do I need A rank in all skirmish difficulties and EX ones as well?

Some recruits go "missing" at the start of each NG+ like on the first playthrough you don't everyone available to you until later chapters.

A ranking is required only at any point once, doesn't need to be your latest and all Skirmishes difficulties are required for it except EX ones. (Anything considered DLC isn't required for medals like EX Skirmishes, Challenges, etc.)

Nyoro SF

So I'm nearing the end of NG+, but I don't have Splintered Horn yet. Is there NG++ or will that unit be bye bye forever?

If I do NG++ am I forced to go through all the missions sequentially again?

Vashzaron

So I'm nearing the end of NG+, but I don't have Splintered Horn yet. Is there NG++ or will that unit be bye bye forever?

If I do NG++ am I forced to go through all the missions sequentially again?

Far as I'm aware there's no limit to NG+ amount and yes if you do another you will have to complete story missions in order to get access to them.

I can't believe people obsess over Ch7 so much. IMO that's when the real game begins (and arguably, the plot) and tells you the scrub gloves are coming off.

It's also hilariously easy once you learn how the enemy AI works.

I mean, that's why I wish that there was more in the way of multiplayer in the series than just VC2's ad-hoc only MP.

Human players are much more interesting opponents than predictable AI, no? TBH, I wouldn't mind a multiplayer-centric VC game with campaign replaced by an AI opponent bot mode. That said, would probably require a bit of an overhaul to deal with issues like aim scumming and certain other quirks that would be no-nos to the competitive environment.

Finalow

Some recruits go "missing" at the start of each NG+ like on the first playthrough you don't everyone available to you until later chapters.

A ranking is required only at any point once, doesn't need to be your latest and all Skirmishes difficulties are required for it except EX ones. (Anything considered DLC isn't required for medals like EX Skirmishes, Challenges, etc.)
so I basically need to get A on the same skirmish 3 times. zzz I guess I'll try.

Sectus

I think one problem is that a good AI wouldn't work in the game. If the AI was aware that it could just spend 5 CP points in a row to instantly destroy your tank many missions would become literally impossible. The missions in the game are designed around the limitations of the AI.

It would be really interesting to see a VC with multiplayer (I'd try VC2 multiplayer but I don't know anyone locally interested in the game), and with singleplayer missions where the AI is "unchained" and the missions are designed for it.

Chariot

I would like to have VC game where your commander isn't actually on the field and give orders from outside the map and where you can decide your field lieutenants instead of basically being forced to get specific characters on the field, even if the story don't need them right now. I liked that more in VC2, because I don't always need a tank and I liked the main characters not that much. Not being forced to always take Zeri and... blond girl with me was good.

I think one problem is that a good AI wouldn't work in the game. If the AI was aware that it could just spend 5 CP points in a row to instantly destroy your tank many missions would become literally impossible. The missions in the game are designed around the limitations of the AI.

It would be really interesting to see a VC with multiplayer (I'd try VC2 multiplayer but I don't know anyone locally interested in the game), and with singleplayer missions where the AI is "unchained" and the missions are designed for it.

You can get VC2 online via AdHocParty, but that's the easy part. Noone I know who has VC2 wants to play multiplayer. Ever.

That said, I think the best mission design is something that's playable - And has unhinged AI that is loyal to its objective of Wrecking Your Shit. There's a lot of missions that I'd find more interesting if the enemy AI actively tried to push me back to and take my base camp. That's one thing that annoys me with the VC series, it feels like the enemies are just mobs to populate the maps and provide combat rather than being an opponent that's trying to win.

I would like to have VC game where your commander isn't actually on the field and give orders from outside the map and where you can decide your field lieutenants instead of basically being forced to get specific characters on the field, even if the story don't need them right now. I liked that more in VC2, because I don't always need a tank and I liked the main characters not that much. Not being forced to always take Zeri and... blond girl with me was good.

Well, to be fair, in VC1 at least, Varrot is the commander and Welkin is the field lieutenant.

They would surely have to limit the amount of actions one unit could take, but it would be a great addition to the game.

Chariot

Well, to be fair, in VC1 at least, Varrot is the commander and Welkin is the field lieutenant.
No, the player is playing as Welking and as such giving commands as such. You can see that when he gives orders and when the mission ends when he falls. Varrot is the commanding officer over multiple squads, that is obvious in Barious and on Naggiar, when she is explicitly on another field of battle.

Finalow

dat Musaad the Mole being in the dlc too.

are the weapons for finishing EX skirmishes and killing the ace at the same time worth it?

oh, in order to unlock every profile of each recruit do I have to unlock their hidden potential and THEN finish the game? It seemed that I got the last part of their profile (of the ones which had the potential unlocked anyway) only after I finished the game.

Top Bottom