• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Unai

Orders or Isara 1 are a good way. I personally did Alicia with orders.

edit:

finished all the challenges. Now only the Blue Flame DLC and a peek at the Ex Skirmishes. Then I am truly finished. Clocking in on Steam on 69 hours, while my game count shows 40 :,D Putting the few hours aside that I lost with my savestat, I still used a lot of time to restart missions to fix my mistakes.

Prioritize killing the Gatling on the left with Edelweiss and killing the tank on the right with a lancer. Use the Shamrock to begin attacking the tank in front. After that, proceed to run and hide all your units behind debris and buildings. The shocktroopers that are on the stairs do not come down and attack you.

This is the mission where it really drove home that you do NOT need to deploy maximum number of troops every time it gives you the option. I think I started with 3/4 foot soldiers.

After some tries I managed to beat it. I only went through the right. Very cool mission.

50DD78FF6E61FC6F076CAFDBEC03B6B0A892F01E

dani_dc

Was it just me or did the custcene in Chapter 14
Alicia vs Selvaria
seemed much better IQ quality than the rest of the cutscenes?

Was it real time (unlike the rest of the cutscenes) or am I just crazy?

Giran

Was it just me or did the custcene in Chapter 14
Alicia vs Selvaria
seemed much better IQ quality than the rest of the cutscenes?

Was it real time (unlike the rest of the cutscenes) or am I just crazy?

That's higher quality CGI. There are a few like that.

Holy crap the mission with the giant tank is stupid and awful, forgot about that from when I played on PS3. Destroy the second radiator and then in the enemies turn they destroy my tank from full health and I get a game over, great fun

Chariot

nvr forgit

comic331_zps0e179cf7.png
Never gets old :D

Holy crap the mission with the giant tank is stupid and awful, forgot about that from when I played on PS3. Destroy the second radiator and then in the enemies turn they destroy my tank from full health and I get a game over, great fun
Just position the Edelweiss in the northwest corner. The enemy Lancers have trouble to reach it and the Bartomys can only one shot if you show her your rear. In the best case you take the enemy foot soldiers out right when they spawn. Some people made a sniper festival, personally just hid my troops in the ruins and took them out when they were split from Selvaria.

I also always a bit scared when people get angry if they can't win a mission in a strategy game immediately. Take what you know and work out your strategy until it fits.

Just position the Edelweiss in the northwest corner. The enemy Lancers have trouble to reach it and the Bartomys can only one shot if you show her your rear. In the best case you take the enemy foot soldiers out right when they spawn. Some people made a sniper festival, personally just hid my troops in the ruins and took them out when they were split from Selvaria.

I also always a bit scared when people get angry if they can't win a mission in a strategy game immediately. Take what you know and work out your strategy until it fits.

I just think it's terrible gameplay when you lose a mission because you can't predict the point where enemy reinforcements will appear and kill you from nowhere. I mean that's not strategy, and it's just not fun in anyway

Chariot

I just think it's terrible gameplay when you lose a mission because you can't predict the point where enemy reinforcements will appear and kill you from nowhere. I mean that's not strategy, and it's just not fun in anyway
There were cues in the little cutscenes during and before the mission. I didn't pick them up either my first time, but it rewards the player that actually listens or reads.

Nyoro SF

There were cues in the little cutscenes during and before the mission. I didn't pick them up either my first time, but it rewards the player that actually listens or reads.

They do tell you enemy reinforcements are coming in the beginning, but I was unaware that
Selvaria can wavedash across the entire map and start instant killing people. Had to restart my mission after several units that were trapped behind the tank got rekt.

That mission is so much easier if
You know the Retreat order. Sadly though, I didn't get Retreat until the VERY END of the game... also, you don't know that Selvaria won't pursue and hunt down your units. I was really surprised when she just stood by the tank while I was blowing it up with Edelweiss.

Chariot

They do tell you enemy reinforcements are coming in the beginning, but I was unaware that
Selvaria can wavedash across the entire map and start instant killing people. Had to restart my mission after several units that were trapped behind the tank got rekt.

That mission is so much easier if
You know the Retreat order. Sadly though, I didn't get Retreat until the VERY END of the game... also, you don't know that Selvaria won't pursue and hunt down your units. I was really surprised when she just stood by the tank while I was blowing it up with Edelweiss.
Yeah, I too was needing multiple tries to get it right, but improving oneself and working with the material one has is the fun.

tbh I think I kinda burned myself out of the game. I'm dreading going back to dealing with the bullshit that is chapter 14.
Can't argue against that. This and the Maiden's Shield are truly awful missions, for different reasons.

Marche90

tbh I think I kinda burned myself out of the game. I'm dreading going back to dealing with the bullshit that is chapter 14.

If you know what you're dealing with, the mission becomes somewhat easy. Here's what I did:

Preparations: Only put an extra engineer in the starting position. We'll get the rest of the squad later
Turn 1:
-Send Largo as far as you can within 3 CP to the southeast of the map where the tank will spawn after taking the camp
-Send the Edelweiss near the Rocket Bunker and put it in a position where the radiator is covered (such as the rocks near said bunker) and use a mortar on the enemy Ace and destroy the Anti tank cannon
-Send Rosie to the trench where the Ace is and finish him with her. Hide her here for now

The Rocket Bunker should prioritize attacking the Shamrock and Alicia should finish the Tank Destroyer.

Turn 2:
-Finish moving Largo to the southeast and put him in a spot that will get him behind the radiator of the first tank.
-Make Rosie capture the enemy encampment. The new enemies will spawn. Get her in cover
-Make Largo destroy the tank. With 2 CP should be enough. If you have the order, make him retreat. If not, that's fine, since he won't permanently die if you leave him be.
-Make your engineer repair the Shamrock and hide them around it so that a Sniper shot can't get them
-With the rest of you CP you should summon a Lancer and two or three shocktroopers. If you have unspent CP keep them and finish the turn.

Turn 3: Use 4 CP to move the Lancer as close as possible to the northwest tank while keeping them hidden in the grass. Use two more CP to get the shocktroopers you just summoned into position

Turn 4: Get the lancer behind the tank and finish it. At this point it doesn't matter if they get seen, since you should be able to finish the battle in this turn.

Only downside to this strategy is that you will only get a B rank, but it should make your life easier if the only thing you want is to finish the mission

Falk

that puzzling face
14 A-rank:

Shamrock can make it all the way to the top left of the map in two turns with 6CP per turn

Shengar

It was Inbound Games who translated the game, and they basically have a "rewrite" section detailed in their work process. Some of their games are listed as "translation" only, Valkyria Chronicles is listed as "translation and rewrite". So it's no coincidence that it seems like a rewrite at times, it was probably done intentionally. As with most rewrites, I really don't see the point in the changes they made though. People that understand Japanese will find it jarring, and for the people that don't I feel like the changes add nothing to the story or characters anyway.
Do we have the detail on how much the writing they have done?

some rewrites are awful, but some are necessary otherwise you would get things that will make zero sense to the audience
As editor of a fan translation for a Japanese game, I would not be surprised if a lot of the rewrites were to make the dialogue sound better and/or fit within whatever text display limits they had. There are tons of lines where I chose to go with what sounded/read better over what would be the most accurate translation, because super accurate translations tend to be the ones that sound the worst and are painful to sit through.

Falk

that puzzling face
As editor of a fan translation for a Japanese game, I would not be surprised if a lot of the rewrites were to make the dialogue sound better and/or fit within whatever text display limits they had. There are tons of lines where I chose to go with what sounded/read better over what would be the most accurate translation, because super accurate translations tend to be the ones that sound the worst and are painful to sit through.

It can't be helped.

(HEH)

baterism

This. As a translator, rewriting and paraphrasing are actually sign that the translators know what they are doing and willing to go for another mile.
Sticking to original text too hard, resulting in the translated text hard to read and comprehend, for me, that's the sign of "lazy translation".

This. As a translator, rewriting and paraphrasing are actually sign that the translators know what they are doing and willing to go for another mile.
Sticking to original text too hard, resulting in the translated text hard to read and comprehend, for me, that's the sign of "lazy translation".

I've read enough fan translations over the years to know that a literal translation is exactly what I don't want.

I liked VC's localization. All the main voice actors do a pretty great job as well.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Confirming this. Leaving it as-is is very sloppy. Extra localization passes are the key to making a fluid script, even if some lines lose their ability to have "direct" translations. It's often extremely hard to crunch some of the concepts into English without taking up obscene amounts of extra space. It takes a lot of effort to polish a translated script, and I think not a lot of people consider this.

Shengar

I liked VC's localization. All the main voice actors do a pretty great job as well.

Exactly my thought too. I'm really like VC's dub, especially those who don't try to emulate their japanese voice actor counterpart (which makes dubbed Alicia feels fine to me).
Also I fall in love with Cpt. Varrot's voice

dani_dc

If you know what you're dealing with, the mission becomes somewhat easy. Here's what I did:

Preparations: Only put an extra engineer in the starting position. We'll get the rest of the squad later
Turn 1:
-Send Largo as far as you can within 3 CP to the southeast of the map where the tank will spawn after taking the camp
-Send the Edelweiss near the Rocket Bunker and put it in a position where the radiator is covered (such as the rocks near said bunker) and use a mortar on the enemy Ace and destroy the Anti tank cannon
-Send Rosie to the trench where the Ace is and finish him with her. Hide her here for now

The Rocket Bunker should prioritize attacking the Shamrock and Alicia should finish the Tank Destroyer.

Turn 2:
-Finish moving Largo to the southeast and put him in a spot that will get him behind the radiator of the first tank.
-Make Rosie capture the enemy encampment. The new enemies will spawn. Get her in cover
-Make Largo destroy the tank. With 2 CP should be enough. If you have the order, make him retreat. If not, that's fine, since he won't permanently die if you leave him be.
-Make your engineer repair the Shamrock and hide them around it so that a Sniper shot can't get them
-With the rest of you CP you should summon a Lancer and two or three shocktroopers. If you have unspent CP keep them and finish the turn.

Turn 3: Use 4 CP to move the Lancer as close as possible to the northwest tank while keeping them hidden in the grass. Use two more CP to get the shocktroopers you just summoned into position

Turn 4: Get the lancer behind the tank and finish it. At this point it doesn't matter if they get seen, since you should be able to finish the battle in this turn.

Only downside to this strategy is that you will only get a B rank, but it should make your life easier if the only thing you want is to finish the mission

Here's what I used to get an A.

Turn 1
-I had Rosie open a small shortcut with a grenade in the first turn and then kill the Ace with the flamethrower in the next
-Aika conquering the top field, killing the cannon along the way (Two turns).
-At this point the enemies spawn.
-Then I moved the Shamrock to the southeast (via the shortcut) and if possible kill the lancer.
- I call for reinforcements in the top (sniper , shocktrooper and lancer)

The shamrock takes a beating but should survive.

Turn 2
- Have the engineneer fix the shamrock.
- Move the shamrock all the way down, you should be able to get behind the radiator in one move. This allows you to kill one of the tanks in turn 2.
- Move the top lancer at least twice towards to the northwest. Should get you to the grassy area.
- Kill all snipers if possible within this turn. And if you can get someone near the lancer to divert attention from him/her (I still had Aika alive so that's what I used her)

From here on out its basically the same as your suggestion. I basically just tried to fuse your turn 1 and 2 and did away with most preperations.

I didn't find the mission too hard to be honest, a bit of a bitch with the twist. But more than doable even if you're caught off guard. I suppose I can see it being an issue if you had moved most units towards the center of the terrain though.

While true, not every rewrite is a good rewrite. The example provided by Durante a few posts ago is a case of a bad rewrite since it contradicts game facts.

Though I've enjoyed VC dialogue overall.

Nyoro SF

I agree.

But that's not really what happened here; localization is not black and white like that. The original language, with proper intent translated and localized would have been perfectly readable to a Western audience. The rewriting in this game has no purpose behind it, the only explanation I can think of is that it was rewritten just for the sake of being rewritten; because they were told to.

I highly doubt technical issues were the cause because there are many, many ways to rephrase a sentence with original intent while keeping it within text limits, especially with the large amount of space the text boxes this game has.

However if you don't care for the original artist/writer's work or intent, I suppose you can consider it a good localization. What a metric though.

Sectus

Messed a bit around with memory editing:
C95D9D46F280B8AB8783C213A2EC5736F3A502E1

C76DE5306721EC2A4EF555D4A7C6B5978404E7A8

A9BCEA4770E57E79A45E4C9289D14F9056D699DF

This was done using info from the guide about save game editing. You can edit your character roster the same way via memory editing, although I dunno which method is faster to use.

It's fun to mess around with exchanging characters, but it's easy to make the game crash or softlock. I'm surprised how flexible the character system is. You could probably replace all characters with imperial models and play the entire game like that.

Falk

that puzzling face
ATTACK OF THE CLONES

No surprise that imperials work - that's what Selvaria's DLC is, after all. Even with elite tags etc.

Vashzaron

Was that edited in battle? If doing it the same way as save file editing that looks to be a bit of a different result.

Changing their "model" in Save editing automatically changes their Name/Icon/Basic Voice/Class/Special Effects (Valkyria Glow) to go with it. I see that isn't the case there(?)

Edit: Yeah you could play through the whole normal game with "Imperials" in your Squad, except you will require the "correct character" for missions that need X character to get to Y spot.

baterism

I agree.

But that's not really what happened here; localization is not black and white like that. The original language, with proper intent translated and localized would have been perfectly readable to a Western audience. The rewriting in this game has no purpose behind it, the only explanation I can think of is that it was rewritten just for the sake of being rewritten; because they were told to.

I highly doubt technical issues were the cause because there are many, many ways to rephrase a sentence with original intent while keeping it within text limits, especially with the large amount of space the text boxes this game has.

However if you don't care for the original artist/writer's work or intent, I suppose you can consider it a good localization. What a metric though.

Nothing is black and white. I don't said that the game's translation is flawless, but I just want to state that at least we should give credits to them for willing to go extra miles. And don't caring original artist's intention is little bit too extreme for this case.

I really wish I knew where the controller config files for VC are, because the dead zones for controller sticks are godawful. I'm literally using two thumbs to get the precision I want, which shouldn't be happening, especially with a console port.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I really wish I knew where the controller config files for VC are, because the dead zones for controller sticks are godawful. I'm literally using two thumbs to get the precision I want, which shouldn't be happening, especially with a console port.

Use the thumbstick for rough aiming, d-pad for fine-tuning. :)

Durante

That's one thing, but actually messing up the meaning and generating dialogue that doesn't make sense in context is another. And that happens in at least one instance in VC.

Sectus

Was that edited in battle? If doing it the same way as save file editing that looks to be a bit of a different result.

Changing their "model" in Save editing automatically changes their Name/Icon/Basic Voice/Class/Special Effects (Valkyria Glow) to go with it. I see that isn't the case there(?)

Edit: Yeah you could play through the whole normal game with "Imperials" in your Squad, except you will require the "correct character" for missions that need X character to get to Y spot.

I updated the values before loading the skirmish map.

Astery

can someone tell me how much is VC going for on steam (original price and the discounted price right now, if there's one going for it)? The game is not available in my region (wtf sega), but if it's cheap I'll look into methods to get through the region blocking and double dip.

Chariot

can someone tell me how much is VC going for on steam (original price and the discounted price right now, if there's one going for it)? The game is not available in my region (wtf sega), but if it's cheap I'll look into methods to get through the region blocking and double dip.
20 Euro, no sale yet.

use the dpad for precision, that is what you ended up doing even in the original version

People seriously expecting this on sale this soon after release? Come on guys, just buy it full price like the rest of us, or beat-the-average in the current humble-bundle and pray that VC is added to it on the coming Tuesday.

People seriously expecting this on sale this soon after release? Come on guys, just buy it full price like the rest of us, or beat-the-average in the current humble-bundle and pray that VC is added to it on the coming Tuesday.
A lot of us bought it at ~$14 thanks to GOG's voucher.

Draikin 2

Something to consider here is that the subtitles are meant for the English dialogue, not the Japanese one. So there is a purpose behind the rewrite: what you're reading is the English script that was written for the English voice actors, instead of a translation meant for the Japanese dialogue. I guess that explains some of the differences.

It would have been interesting if the original, more direct, translation was made available as well as subtitles for the Japanese dialogue. I don't actually know of any games that have done something like this. I imagine most companies don't want to pay extra for both an English script and a translation specifically for the original Japanese dialogue.

All in all, it's not that big of a deal though.

Nyoro SF

Something to consider here is that the subtitles are meant for the English dialogue, not the Japanese one. So there is a purpose behind the rewrite: what you're reading is the English script that was written for the English voice actors, instead of a translation meant for the Japanese dialogue. I guess that explains some of the differences.

It would have been interesting if the original, more direct, translation was made available as well as subtitles for the Japanese dialogue. I don't actually know of any games that have done something like this. I imagine most companies don't want to pay extra for both an English script and a translation specifically for the original Japanese dialogue.

All in all, it's not that big of a deal though.

Yeah I considered thinking it wasn't too big of a deal at first, but the game has a LOT of cutscenes and the original story is charming, even though it's simple. Hurting the dialogue and character interaction hurts a big chunk of the game to me.

It is possible we were struck by dubtitles. I still don't think there was anything at all outlandish or Super Japanese about the dialogue that would've had any trouble with a normal localization into English.

dani_dc

I think a 25-33% of sale wouldn't be too odd, especially since the game was going on for about that much off during launch in several non-Steam sites. Plus a daily sale would give the game more exposure by being on the front page, thus leading to more sales.

I say bring a VC sale!

Plus I want to gift the game for Christmas to a friend or two.

Shengar

In Indonesia, the regional pricing for the game is roughly $11-$13 with current dollar conversion rate :p
If there is discount, I probably bought 2 or 3 copies so I can give it to my friend

At the risk of ruining my appreciation of the game's story, does anyone have a concise summary of what the differences between the Japanese and English stories are? This is the first I've heard of significant issues, or people being angry at the changes, and I'm curious to know what was so bad.

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't think it's the story so much as it is characterization (Then again Rosie's choice of VA alone already makes for a different personality, let alone her dialogue)

There's some obvious goofs here and there like the repeatedly aforementioned (final level spoilers)
"Faldio, you made it!

The latter honestly is what I have more of a problem with.

I don't think it's the story so much as it is characterization (Then again Rosie's choice of VA alone already makes for a different personality, let alone her dialogue)

There's some obvious goofs here and there like the repeatedly aforementioned (final level spoilers)
"Faldio, you made it!

The latter honestly is what I have more of a problem with.

I'd be happy to hear about those too, if you're game. It does sort of sound like the kind of thing that wouldn't bother me because I never heard/read the original Japanese version, though obviously the goofs are just straight-up goofs. (Weirdly, I don't remember that line, must've glossed over it when it happened!)

Finalow

well, sticking too much to the original text is (usually) not a good thing to do but they could be rewriting and paraphrasing and still be bad at it, it doesn't really mean "they know what they're doing".
honestly in this game I wasn't really happy of some of the rewriting that I noticed, some stuff was questionable. (using japanese audio and english subs, I do understand some japanese) besides, as someone else pointed out, I don't really see why it needed a rewrite.

Top Bottom