• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Ferrio said:
Fucking LOL worthy....

edit: Wait I don't get that site... 1.51 hours ahead... yet says 1 day ahead?

Pretty much, valve's timer only accounts for the bars completed (each one earning about 40 min towards the earlier release) while the website itself estimates when all the bars will be completed. Slight difference.

Baha

Going by the javascript code, the launch time is currently set to 3:30PM on Monday. The javascript code being this one:

Code:
javascript:(function(){document.body.appendChild(document.createElement('script')).src='http://horst.v40.net/steam/js/counter.js';})();

Put it in the url of the @Glados site.

thefil

I have two copies of Portal (1) to give. First two quotes get them.

*edit* Spent $15 on this sale, kind of wish I'd just bought the potato pack for gift purposes.

Fireblend

Banned
SuperAwesome said:
I don't know the relevance of it to the actual story, so I apologize if it's revealing.
Yeah, I guess it doesn't make much sense without the context, but people could get pissed off if they read it and then realized what they had just read when playing, or something. Just being cautious.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's going on with aaaaaa? It jumped ~80% in the ~6 hours I was asleep but it's more or less stalled for the past couple hours.

Ferrio

Banned
Know what this reminds me of.... MegaMan.

Defeat all the bosses to get to the last level only have to beat them all over again.

Baha

JaseC said:
What's going on with aaaaaa? It jumped ~80% in the ~6 hours I was asleep but it's more or less stalled for the past couple hours.

It's at 97%, also look at the number of cpus, it's dropped by more than 1k. Also look at RUSH which has jumped ahead of Cogs thanks to the cpus from AAAAA.

JaseC said:
People have started moving on to other games. Lots of people are running Rush now since they expect Aaaaaa to finish up real soon even with less people on it.

JaseC

Baha said:
It's at 97%, also look at the number of cpus, it's dropped by more than 1k. Also look at RUSH which has jumped ahead of Cogs thanks to the cpus from AAAAA.
CrookedRain said:
People have started moving on to other games. Lots of people are running Rush now since they expect Aaaaaa to finish up real soon even with less people on it.

Ah, okay. I didn't take note of the amount of players beforehand.

You can really see the potato multiplier in effect when you look at Killing Floor. It's almost always got the most cpu's on it, but those players don't care about the ARG so they have few or no potatoes, and thus the bar moves pretty slowly.

Interesting stuff, I'd like to see the formula.

JaseC said:

People switched over to RUSH once it hit 85% or so.

AAAAAA should still finish within the hour.

I'm really curious to see how much time AAAAAA drops off the timer, since that could indicated something more unexpected once a few more games complete. The first two dropped 50 and 40 minutes respectively. It's been speculated on the wiki that if we hit the 0 minute mark, the auxiliary power could "kick in" and the game could be released.

This would actually be a kind of genius move.

Sibylus

Banned
Ferrio said:
Fucking LOL worthy....

edit: Wait I don't get that site... 1.51 hours ahead... yet says 1 day ahead?
That site's numbers are so weird, predicting that AAA will be completed in 13 minutes, but the other one is predicting 45 minutes or so.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Drkirby said:
Damn it, I just did Amnesia but missed something :(

Now to do it again :/

That happened to me. I either missed a note or accidently killed the last guy with the door :S either way it said some message at the bottom during "the end" screen that i was so close yet so far away. The worst part of that is not being able to save.

KScorp

Speculation: What if Valve knew just how bad of an ending this would be (ie they made it bad on purpose), just to surprise everyone at the very end with Portal 2 and some other special surprise.

Other option is they surprise everyone by releasing Portal 2 even earlier than we expect through the interface we are given.

I'm still hopeful Valve knows what an anticlimactic end this is.

PatzCU

theinfinityissue said:
You can really see the potato multiplier in effect when you look at Killing Floor. It's almost always got the most cpu's on it, but those players don't care about the ARG so they have few or no potatoes, and thus the bar moves pretty slowly.

Interesting stuff, I'd like to see the formula.

I'm also thinking this might have something to do with the amount of copies owned for each game. Since Killing Floor has probably sold more than game like Aaaaa, Cogs, and Rush, it needs a much higher player count to make a dent in it's progress. The same reason why Meat Boy and Amnesia have barely gone up despite having pretty solid numbers of CPUs.

Baha

Fix The Scientist said:
I think someone posted spoilers in the Nelipot chat, a lot of rage there right now, i quickly bailed before i read anything.

Time to remove that group from my steam profile.

JaseC

How do you start the Amnesia Justine DLC? It's not listed on the DLC page for the game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fix The Scientist said:
I think someone posted spoilers in the Nelipot chat, a lot of rage there right now, i quickly bailed before i read anything.
And this is why until Tuesday my internet habits have basically been restricted to email and GAF.

JaseC said:
How do you start the Amnesia Justine DLC? It's not listed on the DLC page for the game.
When you start Amnesia a window pops up, and Justine is an option on the lower right.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sciz said:
Play on Pro.
But then you have higher targets, no?

Botolf said:
Okay, so something is definitely up with these numbers: http://hasportal2launchedyet.com/index.html

Completion percentage shoots up, but the prediction for time doesn't change (or changes unrealistically slowly). Suspecting the predictions are fudged to the extreme or something.
Unofficial calculations are off and not indicative of what's actually going on officially! Shocking! :p

TheExodu5

Banned
So I started collecting potatoes 3 hours ago. Up to 16 now. Not too bad. Cheating as much as I can, of course.

edit: and it knocked 60 minutes off.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
So I'm really not a serious gamer or anything, its been a long while since I played half life but I finished portal again last weekend.

I bought the potato pack because they sounded cool and I played them all day yesterday, but I sort of feel like re-playing through half life all the way through to episode two.

I'm pretty much certain that I won't be able to get all of the potatoes because I'm not a good enough gamer..., I don't really know why I'm asking but do you think I should go for potatoes or Play hl2 through again (or maybe just ep2)?

I know which one will be more fun that's for sure.

Top Bottom