• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Zomba13

Dr. Dougley: I hear something.
Dr. Dougley: It's different.
Dr. Dougley: Something is trying to get in.
Dr. Dougley: It's not human. It's not human.
Dr. Dougley: CONTINUE WORrKING
Dr. Dougley: DONT STOP WORKINg
Dr. Dougley: ghk,kl
:eek:

Hey, about these cogs scripts, could anyone guess why, even with all the settings correctly... set, the script solves one side of the puzzle then instead of turning it minimizes the window and starts clicking my desktop like a mad man?

theinfinityissue said:
Hey, about these cogs scripts, could anyone guess why, even with all the settings correctly... set, the script solves one side of the puzzle then instead of turning it minimizes the window and starts clicking my desktop like a mad man?
Hahahaha. It's GlaDOS!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TheExodu5 said:
AAA is still not even close to done...
The ARG lost so much steam and hype after Friday, which pretty much destroys the point of an ARG. Now, whereas we were hyped to get Friday early, now we are hyped to possibly get the game a few hours early with little immediate feedback or reward for participating.

It's turned into a waiting game, and even if we do get Portal 2 a day early, the ARG, despite how amazingly constructed it was did not reach it's full potential. It strives on hope for the inevitable to appear fractionally sooner, and that's a pretty shitty basis despite how godlike the lead up was.

chixdiggit

Blizzard said:
I played the Portal-themed C.H.A.S. level finally. I survived with like 6 cores. The Glados lines are awesome though.

Crap, really? I played that without sound because I was watching TV. I made it with all 24 cores though and got the potato.

classicdms

Neo Member
enzo_gt said:
The ARG lost so much steam and hype after Friday, which pretty much destroys the point of an ARG. Now, whereas we were hyped to get Friday early, now we are hyped to possibly get the game a few hours early with little immediate feedback or reward for participating.

It's turned into a waiting game, and even if we do get Portal 2 a day early, the ARG, despite how amazingly constructed it was did not reach it's full potential. It strives on hope for the inevitable to appear fractionally sooner, and that's a pretty shitty basis despite how godlike the lead up was.
I just hope they learn from this, since they're probably gonna do this for all their releases now. I can see a Half-Life 3 ARG. They need to learn to give immediate feedback for progress and not fuck up their own momentum.

Red

classicdms said:
I just hope they learn from this, since they're probably gonna do this for all their releases now. I can see a Half-Life 3 ARG. They need to learn to give immediate feedback for progress and not fuck up their own momentum.
I hope they stick to this type of thing, but refine it. It's a great way to build excitement. Well, as long as you don't suddenly come to a dead stop :/

I just spent 20 minutes trying to solve the best laid schemes puzzle before realizing I didn't even know what the hell it was supposed to end up as. i was literally just clicking random tiles and hoping the aperture screen would come up. There's no way i'm going to get these damn cog potatoes.

theinfinityissue said:

You're sure you have it at the correct resolution?

KScorp

theinfinityissue said:
Yeah, right resolution, windowed, all that stuff. Ahh well. Almost had it.

Some of the scripts want you to do different things first. All the scripts i used wanted you to first align the front side of the cube with your screen. Some of them also wanted you to put the mouse on the center of the top left box, while others wanted you to put the cursor on the center of the center block when you stared.

I just went ahead and got 7 potatoes between Toki Tori, Amnesia and Defense Grid. Helpin out the effort even though I don't get any benefit :p

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
enzo_gt said:

The thing is, Valve know that whenever they tease at something big, everyone will automatically assume it's Half-Life 3. They always do.
After the big ARG leading up to Portal 2's unveiling last year, it was obvious that's people would think this was above HL3 when they put together a much, much more complex ARG. If all it leads up to is Portal 2 being released one hour to a day early, a hell of a lot of people are going to be let down.
Sure, it's not Valve's fault if people make incorrect assumptions about what they're teasing, but one would think that after all their dealings with fans they'd have a little understanding of what they'd think.

The other reason this was a terrible move is that the earlier tasks could be completed by anyone who was dedicated and sharp enough. Here they've set a goal that it may be impossible to complete on time, simply because not that many people are hardcore enough to know or care about the ARG.

Sure the ARG was exciting when it was on, but you have to ultimately pay it off. And indie games or not, if the pay-off truly is what amounts to a sales push, they failed pretty spectacularly in that regard.

TheBez

Is there any way to see which potatoes I've gotten? I'm losing track of which things I have and have not done in games, or if I did them correctly.

Blizzard

Banned
chixdiggit said:
Crap, really? I played that without sound because I was watching TV. I made it with all 24 cores though and got the potato.
Yeah, some of them start to repeat if you aren't good at the game and have to play it multiple times (like me), but I thought a lot of them were quite funny. Of course it should show you the text on screen as well I thought.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
My prediction for aaaaa to have finished 90 minutes ago was clearly off by miles.

I look forward to the standard release time.

evlcookie said:
My prediction for aaaaa to have finished 90 minutes ago was clearly off by miles.

The problem was that at some point, someone said to focus on Super Meat Boy because Aaaaaa would finish overnight and we ended up losing 500 people because of that.

Baha

evlcookie said:

And my prediction for AAAA to hit 100 by midnight is still on track.

Baha

Public Service Announcement for anybody going for the Defense Grid potatoes since apparently not many people play the campaign to learn the basic mechanics:

Backspace to rewind by 1 wave and F to fast forward. These two will save you a lot of time and grief. That is all.

Firehead

Baha said:
Public Service Announcement for anybody going for the Defense Grid potatoes since apparently not many people play the campaign to learn the basic mechanics:

Backspace to rewind by 1 wave and F to fast forward. These two will save you a lot of time and grief. That is all.
Why am I only just finding out about this!? This would have saved me so much time. Dammit.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, Defense Grid wasn't bad, and it was good enough to make me likely want to play the game later.

Now for the final one. Amnesia

*Quickly checks wiki hoping there is a cheat to bypass it*

You can go back! God damn it, I restarted every time I screwed up.

Baha

Drkirby said:
Ok, Defense Grid wasn't bad, and it was good enough to make me likely want to play the game later.

There was one but I don't know if they patched it. Also spread that tidbit to any friends you see playing DG for the potato.

Jintor

Feels like the bar stalled. I should go do something else and come back, but it's so hard not to just sit here stabbing f5.

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
The game seems good in campaign, yes. Is the backspace thing ever mentioned anywhere though? I've played through maybe 75% of the campaign and knew about the F key, but I don't know if I ever knew of the backspace key...is that a "cheat" or just a mechanic?

*edit* There it is in the controls, backspace is the previous checkpoint button. Man, I knew it was saving checkpoints but didn't know there was a way to go back to them. D:

Baha

Jintor said:
Feels like the bar stalled. I should go do something else and come back, but it's so hard not to just sit here stabbing f5.

I think people are starting to get off AAAAA now that it's close to completion and moving to other games. The numbers are starting to reflect that.

[EDIT] Yep, they're dropping for AAAAA.

laika09

Drkirby said:

Amnesia is not so bad. It takes about half an hour if you follow a walkthrough like this. Just pause relatively often and make sure you're not missing anything in the video.

Top Bottom