• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Doopliss

XeroSauce said:
I don't know how well our "focus" is going to work out when the bigger games have 5-6k players and barely move, while our "group" is about 3k large.

Anyways, ONTO BIT.TRIP, MEN.
The idea was that completing the bars of games with easier requirements would give us a boost and make the rest of the games easier. Doug, the ARG character told us this was the correct thing to do. So far we haven't seen any boost, though.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
claviertekky said:
I'm beginning to think overclocked CPUs is just an excuse for Valve to bump up the CPU completion bars when the release date inches closer and closer.

"Hey, you guys passed 454,328 potatos! It turns out THAT was the exact number needed to get the CPUs to overclock! And hey, would you look at that - the game's going to release exactly at Midnight PST on Monday thanks to your efforts!"

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, at this point the "potato overclock" is essentially going to be the switch that Valve hits to release the game.

It would take us, what, 10 hours to hit the 500,000 potato milestone, right? That is pretty much the only non-arbitrary number left before 1 million.

TheBez

For those who are just starting Bit Trip Beat for the first time and want to get the potato the easy way here is how you can slow down the game.

Download and open Cheat Engine
Open BTB
In Cheat Engine search for the BTB exe
Click Enable Speedhack
Modify!

I played at .2 and slowed it down to .15 during the boss fight. It took ~1hr to do Descent. Quite a grind.

Sibylus

Banned
Priority list

• BIT.TRIP BEAT - Current focus
  • The Ball
  • Audiosurf
  • Amnesia
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Defense Grid: The Awakening
  • Killing Floor

[*] Toki Tori(finished on 4/17/2011 15:45 PDT...we get 55 minutes off the Projected Launch timer)
    [*] Cogs(finished on 4/17/2011 10:15 PDT...we get 50 minutes off the Projected Launch timer)
    [*] RUSH (finished on 4/17/2011 04:09 PDT...we get 40 minutes off the Projected Launch timer)
    [*] AaAaAA!!! A Reckless Disregard for Gravity (finished on 4/16/2011 21:00 PDT...we get 60 minutes off the Projected Launch timer)
    [*] 1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (finished on 4/16/2011 11:55 PDT...we get 40 minutes off the Projected Launch timer)
    [*] The Wonderful End of the World (finished on 4/15/2011 19:55 PDT...we get 50 minutes off the Projected Launch timer)

morningbus said:
Yeah, at this point the "potato overclock" is essentially going to be the switch that Valve hits to release the game.

Exactly what I think. I'm still hoping for 7 pm EST.

Arbitrary time I picked out of my ass.

Nabs

Botolf said:
Priority list

• BIT.TRIP BEAT - Current focus
  • The Ball
  • Audiosurf
  • Amnesia
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Defense Grid: The Awakening
  • Killing Floor

[*] Toki Tori(finished on 4/17/2011 15:45 PDT...we get 55 minutes off the Projected Launch timer)
    [*] Cogs(finished on 4/17/2011 10:15 PDT...we get 50 minutes off the Projected Launch timer)
    [*] RUSH (finished on 4/17/2011 04:09 PDT...we get 40 minutes off the Projected Launch timer)
    [*] AaAaAA!!! A Reckless Disregard for Gravity (finished on 4/16/2011 21:00 PDT...we get 60 minutes off the Projected Launch timer)
    [*] 1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (finished on 4/16/2011 11:55 PDT...we get 40 minutes off the Projected Launch timer)
    [*] The Wonderful End of the World (finished on 4/15/2011 19:55 PDT...we get 50 minutes off the Projected Launch timer)

Shouldn't Amnesia come before Audiosurf?

Red

Huh? My last post disappeared.

theinfinityissue said:
You're probably right. I did notice myself feeling awful strange during the final hours of my potato hunt...

Also, Justine is phenomenal. They did an awesome job of setting up a microverse inside the greater Amnesia fiction, kept the terror of the original, and even managed a compelling story with a nice twist at the end all in around a 25 minute game. Can not wait for whatever Frictional comes out with next.
I didn't understand what the story in Justine was. Am I right in thinking (NON-PORTAL 2 SPOILERS)
the player character is Justine herself? Seems obvious. But then who's the girl with the megaphone tied up at the end? It's a GLaDOS reference, but Justine is the GLaDOS character in all the rest, so how does that work out? And who's congratulating you when you finish? Your father? I get that the monster is someone who's eyes you've poked out, but what's the deal with the trapped dudes? And why is the maid totally unperturbed by all of it?

morningbus

Nabs said:

Yeah, the priority list on the wiki is:

1) BIT.TRIP BEAT Pixel2CPUrate = .0073
2) The Ball Pixel2CPUrate = .0043
3) Amnesia Pixel2CPUrate = .0019
4) Super Meat Boy Pixel2CPUrate = .0015
5) Defense Grid: The Awakening Pixel2CPUrate = .0014
6) Audiosurf Pixel2CPUrate = .0013
7) Killing Floor Pixel2CPUrate = .0005

XeroSauce

Nabs said:

The Ball is obvious because it will be the easier to increase, but Audiosurf is before Amnesia because of how much of a lead it has already, we want to get things done ASAP, I'm assuming.

Chances are, we won't even finish all the games by Tuesday.

LM4sure

Banned
Any chance 500,000 is the magic number to hit and then Portal 2 will be released?

Probably not, but I can dream. Just hoping the game is released by noon est tomorrow.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheBez said:
For those who are just starting Bit Trip Beat for the first time and want to get the potato the easy way here is how you can slow down the game.

Open BTB
Click Enable Speedhack
Modify!

I played at .2 and slowed it down to .15 during the boss fight. It took ~1hr to do Descent. Quite a grind.
I just did it 4 times.

DoctorWho said:
Sent an email to glados@home.com

I wonder if it's an email that is part of the ARG.
lol... Home.com is probably a generic domain that has nothing to do with Valve and GLaDOS@Home is a reference to Folding@Home and other Distributed Computing projects. It's not an email address.

As for the Justine DLC for Amnesia (NOT Portal 2 spoilers!),
I took it as it all being in her head, as a warm-up to what she plans to do to her guests when they arrive.

Lastly, my bet is that 500k is the mark for the potato overclock. If that's not it, then the overclock is a lie.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
So if we dont fill all the bars, then we will probably get it roughly 7-8 hours early (we will probably get at least 2 more bars filled for sure).

But, so far we have done 70% in a little less than 56 hours. comes out to about 1.25% per hour average. 30% should take another 24 hours, meaning if we keep the pace, Monday night* is completely reasonable.

*US Eastern Time
**this is all without factoring in the mystical potato overdrive.

XeroSauce said:
The Ball is obvious because it will be the easier to increase, but Audiosurf is before Amnesia because of how much of a lead it has already, we want to get things done ASAP, I'm assuming.

Chances are, we won't even finish all the games by Tuesday.

Killing Floor isnt going to be completed

It has between 3.5-6.5K players and according to http://cpucount.zapto.org/game/1250:
"At the current rate this game is estimated full in 3 days 4:06:20 hours - 33.26% - 5862 CURRENT CPU"

Doopliss

morningbus said:
Yeah, the priority list on the wiki is:

1) BIT.TRIP BEAT Pixel2CPUrate = .0073
2) The Ball Pixel2CPUrate = .0043
3) Amnesia Pixel2CPUrate = .0019
4) Super Meat Boy Pixel2CPUrate = .0015
5) Defense Grid: The Awakening Pixel2CPUrate = .0014
6) Audiosurf Pixel2CPUrate = .0013
7) Killing Floor Pixel2CPUrate = .0005
This can't be right, there are diminishing returns with more CPUs, not a fixed rate per CPU.

Edit: Although the order may still be correct.

ArjanN

Doopliss said:
The idea was that completing the bars of games with easier requirements would give us a boost and make the rest of the games easier. Doug, the ARG character told us this was the correct thing to do. So far we haven't seen any boost, though.

Valve could easily wait until 7-8 bars are full and then say "Potatoes now overclocked!" and the remaining bars fill up 10 times faster.

I figure that would negate most of the negativity about the ARG.

And of course Valve balanced the bars/ARG in such a way that they'd have a very good idea of what the maximum spread of the release date would be. It would have been downright dumb of them not to have done that.

Sibylus

Banned
Datwheezy said:
So if we dont fill all the bars, then we will probably get it roughly 7-8 hours early (we will probably get at least 2 more bars filled for sure).

But, so far we have done 70% in a little less than 56 hours. comes out to about 1.25% per hour average. 30% should take another 24 hours, meaning if we keep the pace, Monday night* is completely reasonable.

*US Eastern Time
Speaking as a West Coaster, I'd be perfectly okay with that. Hell, I'd be perfectly okay with Portal 2 at any time, early, on time, or fashionably late. GIMME.

**this is all without factoring in the mystical potato overdrive.
All hail.

Mairu

There have been cheats with the potato-gathering since the beginning of this thing with save files, altered mp3s, cheat engine, & dll injects :p

ArjanN

TheBez said:

Open BTB
Click Enable Speedhack
Modify!

Or just play it without cheating on easy and get in 15 minutes. :p

Revolutionary said:
lol... Home.com is probably a generic domain that has nothing to do with Valve and GLaDOS@Home is a reference to Folding@Home and other Distributed Computing projects. It's not an email address.

As for the Justine DLC for Amnesia (NOT Portal 2 spoilers!),
I took it as it all being in her head, as a warm-up to what she plans to do to her guests when they arrive.

Lastly, my bet is that 500k is the mark for the potato overclock. If that's not it, then the overclock is a lie.
Justine is Glados and her guests are the test subjects(robots and chell)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mairu said:
There have been cheats with the potato-gathering since the beginning of this thing with save files, altered mp3s, cheat engine, & dll injects :p
Valve only seems to have a problem with that site that you could just click a single button a get 15 Potatoes.

Red

God's Beard said:
But it seems that (NON PORTAL 2 SPOILERS)
Justine is in an experiment herself, as someone is congratulating her on completion of the tests. She locks the door as he tries entering. Also, who's hanging at the end if not Justine?

Sibylus

Banned
Stitch said:
so with every completed game/bar we get portal 2 fifty minutes earlier...?

that's really lame...
If we fail, yeah (though the amount is closer to 5 hours earlier right now). Minor compensation for filling a bunch, but not all.

morningbus

ArjanN said:
Valve could easily wait until 7-8 bars are full and then say "Potatoes now overclocked!" and the remaining bars fill up 10 times faster.

I figure that would negate most of the negativity about the ARG.

And of course Valve balanced the bars/ARG in such a way that they'd have a very good idea of what the maximum spread of the release date would be. It would have been downright dumb of them not to have done that.

The problem with that, especially from the perspective of the person angry over the end of the ARG, is that it makes any effort at all completely worthless.

Obviously Valve had a time frame in mind for the release of the game, but that means they never intended to release it Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, regardless of the effort put in, as they would have started the multiplier at some point otherwise. So the most we could ever hope for, even if we had put in everything we had, and met or exceeded Valve's expectations, is a release into the late hours of Monday night?

Yeah, that's not going to placate people at all.

Mairu

Drkirby said:
Valve only seems to have a problem with that site that you could just click a single button a get 15 Potatoes.
O_O didn't know about that one

A friend of mine is currently in the process of finishing the last few potatoes for me, playing the games I didn't want to :D

TheBez

ArjanN said:

I'm holding onto hope that when we get the 7th bar filled something will happen because we have a majority (7/13.)

Also I am bad at Bit Trip Beat sorry :|

God's Beard said:
Again, not Portal 2 spoilers:
Yes, that allegory is obvious enough, but in the realm of Amnesia, I think my theory on the event holds some merit. :p

Doopliss

morningbus said:
The problem with that, especially from the perspective of the person angry over the end of the ARG, is that it makes any effort at all completely worthless.

Obviously Valve had a time frame in mind for the release of the game, but that means they never intended to release it Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, regardless of the effort put in, as they would have started the multiplier at some point otherwise. So the most we could ever hope for, even if we had put in everything we had, and met or exceeded Valve's expectations, is a release into the late hours of Monday night?

Yeah, that's not going to placate people at all.
Yep, very keen analysis. Though of course after the initial moaning about file decryption taking too long people will shut up while they play Portal 2.

Sakurina

OmegaDragon said:
Killing Floor isnt going to be completed

It has between 3.5-6.5K players and according to http://cpucount.zapto.org/game/1250:
"At the current rate this game is estimated full in 3 days 4:06:20 hours - 33.26% - 5862 CURRENT CPU"

That does say at the current rate (which on that site is the average rate for the past 6 hours). When/if it ever becomes the current focus, the progress will have increased a certain amount since now, and the ~2500 people who are playing/idling whatever the current focus is will get tacked onto whatever people were playing the game anyway. Who knows, we might even get our CPUs overclocked by then.

I'm not saying we will complete it, but there certainly is a possibility of it being completed. A lot can happen between now and then.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Crunched said:
But it seems that (NON PORTAL 2 SPOILERS)
Justine is in an experiment herself, as someone is congratulating her on completion of the tests. She locks the door as he tries entering. Also, who's hanging at the end if not Justine?

I know, right?

My guess is that... based on the Notes and the statues and such...
Justine, due to the trauma described, her likely psychopathic tendencies, and being raised in an experimental environment as well as being a test subject, began to dissociate heavily. It would seem as though she set up the entire elaborate experiment, including creating the blind creature and risking the lives of the three men, for herself or "herself" to complete, and created the chained up figure of herself to act as the "overseer" of this experiment, then drugged herself and woke up in another personality with no memory of these acts, and being set on the experiment. Then as the walls come close to crushing at the end she blacks out again and comes to as the first Justine, who is keeping these experiments a secret in the basement where by day she is a lady of affluence.

She then locks the door where the freed men from the experiment would need to get out (even though the other version of herself saved them... no sense crying when there's science to do), locks the door to her creepy experimental basement realm, and heads back up to a party.

What I don't understand with this theory is, if you inspect the cogs at the very end, she says something like "I wonder what he built all this machinery for..." no clue.

Really compelling plot, regardless.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sakurina said:
That does say at the current rate (which on that site is the average rate for the past 6 hours). When/if it ever becomes the current focus, the progress will have increased a certain amount since now, and the ~2500 people who are playing/idling whatever the current focus is will get tacked onto whatever people were playing the game anyway. Who knows, we might even get our CPUs overclocked by then.

I'm not saying we will complete it, but there certainly is a possibility of it being completed. A lot can happen between now and then.
The problem is, that the Focus group tends to be a group of roughly 3500 people. Killing Floor has 6k people, and that is the rate.

Top Bottom