• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

grkazan12

TheBez said:
How do I gift my extra copies of Potato Sack games?

You just need the person's Steam ID or an email address that they might use, click the game in your library and then click send guest pass.

Zomba13

JUSTINE SPOILERS (NOT PORTAL 2)
The way I see it is that the whole thing is a test she has made for her guests. She drugs them/gets them drunk and puts them in the contraptions and the basement for her sick fun. She is the voice on the phonographs and the whole DLC is just a dry run to be used on her guests tonight. The monster may/may not be real or may just be another human.

Red

Zomba13 said:
JUSTINE SPOILERS (NOT PORTAL 2)
The way I see it is that the whole thing is a test she has made for her guests. She drugs them/gets them drunk and puts them in the contraptions and the basement for her sick fun. She is the voice on the phonographs and the whole DLC is just a dry run to be used on her guests tonight. The monster may/may not be real or may just be another human.
Who's she sending the letter to at the end?

I don't think the plot makes sense but I'm wondering if there's a full explanation.

Zerokku said:
God damn. Don't think I'm gonna be able to pull off the second AAAAA potato.
Definitely the worst one.
Takes a lot of trial and error and memorization.
Also threading the needle right off the bat helps with an extra 5500 points.
If you don't know, before you jump, walk to the far right, there is a small opening between a two buildings that you can pass through. 5500 points.

Hawkian said:
I know, right?

My guess is that... based on the Notes and the statues and such...
Justine, due to the trauma described, her likely psychopathic tendencies, and being raised in an experimental environment as well as being a test subject, began to dissociate heavily. It would seem as though she set up the entire elaborate experiment, including creating the blind creature and risking the lives of the three men, for herself or "herself" to complete, and created the chained up figure of herself to act as the "overseer" of this experiment, then drugged herself and woke up in another personality with no memory of these acts, and being set on the experiment. Then as the walls come close to crushing at the end she blacks out again and comes to as the first Justine, who is keeping these experiments a secret in the basement where by day she is a lady of affluence.

She then locks the door where the freed men from the experiment would need to get out (even though the other version of herself saved them... no sense crying when there's science to do), locks the door to her creepy experimental basement realm, and heads back up to a party.

What I don't understand with this theory is, if you inspect the cogs at the very end, she says something like "I wonder what he built all this machinery for..." no clue.

Really compelling plot, regardless.
Maybe the "he" is Cave Johnson? I think that she has no memory because the whole thing is Glados being rebooted and she's piecing together herself. Only thing I'm not sure on is the monster. Maybe it's her memory of Chell? It has that big vice on it's head like someone who was trapped, like a test subject, and it's obviously trying to kill her.

Crunched said:
Who's she sending the letter to at the end?

I don't think the plot makes sense but I'm wondering if there's a full explanation.
I'm assuming chell, right? Who else would she want to know she's alive?

XeroSauce

God's Beard said:
Maybe the "he" is Cave Johnson? I think that she has no memory because the whole thing is Glados being rebooted and she's piecing together herself. Only thing I'm not sure on is the monster. Maybe it's her memory of Chell? It has that big vice on it's head like someone who was trapped, like a test subject, and it's obviously trying to kill her.

I thought "he" was her dad, the one she didn't speak to properly?

Edit:

My guess is similar, she's testing herself, as an experiments, as to whether or not she can come back to her original self, rich, careless, etc. Hence the whole "voice of the past" thing at the start, on the first recording. She was vain and rich and needy in the past, and she wants to see if taking drugs is a suitable option and whether she can return to what she is like.

That's why they make it so easy to kill off the 3 men, that's why there is the "Suitor" monster. It's mentioned that she used to take drugs recreationally and slowly got used to the sideeffects.

celebi23

Hawkian said:
I know, right?

My guess is that... based on the Notes and the statues and such...
Justine, due to the trauma described, her likely psychopathic tendencies, and being raised in an experimental environment as well as being a test subject, began to dissociate heavily. It would seem as though she set up the entire elaborate experiment, including creating the blind creature and risking the lives of the three men, for herself or "herself" to complete, and created the chained up figure of herself to act as the "overseer" of this experiment, then drugged herself and woke up in another personality with no memory of these acts, and being set on the experiment. Then as the walls come close to crushing at the end she blacks out again and comes to as the first Justine, who is keeping these experiments a secret in the basement where by day she is a lady of affluence.

She then locks the door where the freed men from the experiment would need to get out (even though the other version of herself saved them... no sense crying when there's science to do), locks the door to her creepy experimental basement realm, and heads back up to a party.

What I don't understand with this theory is, if you inspect the cogs at the very end, she says something like "I wonder what he built all this machinery for..." no clue.

Really compelling plot, regardless.

You know what? That makes a lot of sense. There were a few things that I was unsure about but, your suggestion helps.

Stitch said:
so with every completed game/bar we get portal 2 fifty minutes earlier...?

that's really lame...

ugh, really? Man, I love Valve but I feel like they manipulated us all to think we would be playing over the WEEKEND, which is the only real time I get to sink into a game. Passover Monday/Tuesday, then have to catch up on the work I'll miss, and hopefully crack it open Wednesday or Thursday. At least the weekend wasn't squandered, thank you to the amazing Gears 3 beta!

Red

God's Beard said:

She says "they" when talking about the letter I thought.

Also the monster is explained during one of the phonograph recordings.

non p2 spoilers
It's a guy who's eyes she has drilled out.

Red

TheExodu5 said:
There was a script that was available for all the Dojiban games. Thank god, because they're awful.
I would have used it but it only works for games on the C drive :(

BY2K

Membero Americo
TheExodu5 said:
There was a script that was available for all the Dojiban games. Thank god, because they're awful.

"Dejobaan games, bringing you quality video games for over 75 years."

God I hate that line.

Sibylus

Banned
enzo_gt said:
So why isn't Audiosurf next on the priority list again after Bit Trip Beat?

/noob
The Ball is the least completed game in the pack and has consistently had the smallest player-base, so the ARG group must be hoping to bring up the average. By the time The Ball is done, Audiosurf will probably be very close to finishing anyway.

Red

TheExodu5 said:
Create a symbolic link for Steam and place it in the Program Files (x86) folder. That's what I did. :p
Can't access my PC right now anyway. It's cool, I'm at 21 potatoes and that's enough for me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
celebi23 said:
You know what? That makes a lot of sense. There were a few things that I was unsure about but, your suggestion helps.

That's good to hear, I had no clue if it was logical at all :D

God's Beard said:

I haven't tried to frame it as taking place in the HL2 universe like that. Interesting. I thought of it as a reimagining, an alternate universe like Portal as told by H.P. Lovecraft.

The
monster, though, in the context of the DLC itself, is obviously (unless I totally misunderstood something) supposed to be Basile, who I think is either her father or surrogate/stepfather. To me there is a lot of evidence for this...

On the phonograph where you get to hear his voice, he mentions that he's blinded her and asks what this is she put on his head- the monster has a weird contraption on its head/neck, and is blind. The log also ends with him going "come back here, you whore!" or something, as though he has begun stumbling about looking for her, which is what's going on while you are actually playing.

She blinded him because he used to say regularly about her mother, who had died, to answer her when she asked how pretty she was, "her beauty was blinding." She asked Basile when he woke up after whatever the hell she did to him, "How pretty am I?"

First he says "plenty, I don't want to play games right now" or something. Then she says "say it." So he goes "your beauty is blinding-" and that's when he realizes she's blinded him. Pretty fucked up.

However, I could be wrong about all of this because of the timeframe, which I didn't understand, and I hadn't really paid attention to the dates on the notes. I don't get quite how old Justine is supposed to be, for example, and how long it has been since her father started that letter. A few years she's had him locked up, subjecting him to various experiments? So she'll send the letter out even though it's years late, so the recipient will know she's still alive?

Best I could make of it, really.

Crunched said:
She says "they" when talking about the letter I thought.

Also the monster is explained during one of the phonograph recordings.

non p2 spoilers
It's a guy who's eyes she has drilled out.

There are more clues than just that phonograph.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nappuccino said:
or, the more likely argument, it was designed with the assumption that more people would be participating

No way. If that were the case, they would have sped up the process. They clearly have a release frame in mind.

After all this fake folding@home, the game will unlock right before I am leaving for work lol
I still think is rigged, whenever valve feels is the right time they will just say glados started overclocking cpu's

rinker

TheExodu5 said:
No way. If that were the case, they would have sped up the process. They clearly have a release frame in mind.

Agreed, if they overestimated they would have adjusted it if they really wanted to reward the community. Its going how they want it to go.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
L00P said:
I guess the potatoes not doing much makes sense because, well, they're just fucking potatoes

It was hinted at that they might be a multiplier or some other way to speed up the boot process. So far there is absolutely zero evidence of that.

Blizzard

Banned
The Omega Man said:
After all this fake folding@home, the game will unlock right before I am leaving for work lol
I still think is rigged, whenever valve feels is the right time they will just say glados started overclocking cpu's
Plus considering one of the posters here said that his friend had been working on polishing Portal 2 at all hours of the day and night the last week, they may have been trying to fix some of their normal Valve time bugs and have no desire to accelerate the PC release date.

Hylian7

Campster said:
It was hinted at that they might be a multiplier or some other way to speed up the boot process. So far there is absolutely zero evidence of that.
One guy from Valve said something like "Maybe if you get enough potatoes you can overclock Glados....."

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally done with RUSH, man those were my least favorite potatoes so far. Nice to hear from the old lady again though.

On to Bit.trip.beat

Sibylus

Banned
rinker said:
Agreed, if they overestimated they would have adjusted it if they really wanted to reward the community. Its going how they want it to go.
Outside of the alluded and hinted-at overclocking thing, there's few ways to shorten the end-game without drawing the ire of the people invested into this. For we casual observers and players it'd be great, but the people organizing and getting involved in pushes and such would probably be more than a little irked that they're being bailed out. At least if the potato threshold overclocking pans out, it gives them something to work towards (and they'd have earned the boost).

Omikron

TheExodu5 said:
Create a symbolic link for Steam and place it in the Program Files (x86) folder. That's what I did. :p

Awesome idea and worked. Tah.

Anyone know what the trigger is for the second Test one in Bit Trip? :S

L00P said:
I guess the potatoes not doing much makes sense because, well, they're just fucking potatoes

Mr-potato-head-angry-eyes.jpg

Zomba13

Hylian7 said:
One guy from Valve said something like "Maybe if you get enough potatoes you can overclock Glados....."
I hate hints like that because they seem to encourage you to do something, and when it fails they can easily say 'well we said maybe /trollface'

Blizzard said:
Plus considering one of the posters here said that his friend had been working on polishing Portal 2 at all hours of the day and night the last week, they may have been trying to fix some of their normal Valve time bugs and have no desire to accelerate the PC release date.
well at least they gathered enough buzz for their potato campaign, I liked the first part of the arg way better.

XeroSauce

Zomba13 said:
I hate hints like that because they seem to encourage you to do something, and when it fails they can easily say 'well we said maybe /trollface'

Or they pull some lame excuse out of their arse like "We meant you need 1 million potatoes, sorry"

Stitch

Gold Member
oh wow. I didn't even try to get a potato in bit trip beat but i was just playing and while i was fighting the second boss a login screen popped up :O

Twig

Banned
Ickman3400 said:
For what reason, they didn't release the game early? That's not really a good enough reason to get angry at anyone.
Begone, you heathen, with your reasonable reactions, and logic! This thread is for RAGIN'.

Top Bottom