• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Hylian7 said:
YOU. ARE. A. TOY!! YOU'RE A CHILD'S PLAYTHING!

MrPotatoHead_10.jpg

Edit: In fact, I think this Mr Potato Head is a pretty good representation of this phase.

As for 'Justine':

the notes refer directly to Daniel, the first name you hear in Amnesia and Herbert, who I think is the protagonist of the first Penumbra game.

I haven't played either full game yet, but I am led to believe that Justine was already a character of Amnesia before the DLC. While the final sentence is a nice throwback and the whole thing an analogue to Glados, it probably does not have any real link to Portal in that sense.

If that's not the case though: metaphore away all you want.

btw, during play I actually heard the monster speak (when you need to hide from him in the chamber where the torches go out). So it is De Basille or whatever his name is.

Oreoleo

Phantom Limbs said:
Definitely the worst one.
Takes a lot of trial and error and memorization.
Also threading the needle right off the bat helps with an extra 5500 points.
If you don't know, before you jump, walk to the far right, there is a small opening between a two buildings that you can pass through. 5500 points.

Oh wow, nice man. I didn't know about that needle. After another dozen attempts I got 5 stars. Thanks a lot, I never thought I'd get that one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I was so wound up with AaAaA 2nd Potato I started trying to edit the level. Simply replacing it didn't work, and it turned out the level was checked sum so you would not get the pop up unless playing an unaltered version. I got some odd effects by changing the score though, like causing pinball Mode to turn on or to reactivate Kisses. Was fun playing that level in Pin Ball mode.

kamspy

Everyone should play Amnesia tonight. I want to play Justine at dark, but I want it to be worth something. I don't want to make my play through worthless.

Bisonian

Omi said:
Awesome idea and worked. Tah.

Anyone know what the trigger is for the second Test one in Bit Trip? :S

I know one of them is triggered by avoiding the Aperture Science logo at the end, you might want to try that. You may or may not need to be in B&W "danger" mode at that point, the information wasn't very clear.

Zomba13

XeroSauce said:
Or they pull some lame excuse out of their arse like "We meant you need 1 million potatoes, sorry"
Yeah.
I'm all for vauge and cryptic hints, but when we know what we have to do, and it's all we can do, they should at least be a bit mroe clear. Have GLaDOS say something like 'Auxiliary Power at x%' and then we'd be able to work out how many we need rather than tell us potatoes might help (something we already figured out because there is a fucking counter for them)

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
SnakeswithLasers said:
What does it matter? You're a troll, are you offended that someone is pointing it out? Boohoo.

Haha, have you seen this guy? He insults people then gets pissed when they call him out for it. Pretty funny to watch. Make a WoW thread to see the sparks fly.

Edit: All I own from this thing is Audiosurf. I have not helped the cause. I feel ashamed, but slightly richer.

Omikron

Bisonian said:
I know one of them is triggered by avoiding the Aperture Science logo at the end, you might want to try that. You may or may not need to be in B&W "danger" mode at that point, the information wasn't very clear.

Tried that down the bottom and up the top, didn't work :(

BY2K

Membero Americo
Stabby McSter said:
WHAT!

*goes to search*

You might want to be careful, they will delete potatoes that were earned with that website, nothing say they won't do it for other external means. (I hope not.)

TheExodu5

Banned
I am now playing Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story while I wait. This game is so damned good. Best writing in an RPG in ages.

Game of Thrones at 9 as well.

I'm done obsessing over the GLaDOS@Home page.

BY2K said:
You might want to be careful, they will delete potatoes that were earned with that website, nothing say they won't do it for other external means. (I hope not.)

They already did the delete wave, and mine were untouched. When I used the executable script, Steam showed that I was playing the games, so it must launch them while it does its mojo.

Better than actually playing those god awful games.

You can also use CheatEngine to slow things down I think, if you want to be more legit about it.

TheExodu5

Banned
The Bit.Trip potatoes were pretty easy. Just play on Easy mode, and reach the Descent boss. You need to reach MEGA mode and hit a beat in behind the boss on Descent.

Then, there are 2 potatoes to get in the <test> levels. I think it's a little random. The first time, I hit the Aperture logo and got 1 potato. Next time I was B&W and danger and dodged it, but still got the same potato. Tried it again and did the exact same thing, and I got the second potato.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
TheExodu5 said:
The Bit.Trip potatoes were pretty easy. Just play on Easy mode, and reach the Descent boss. You need to reach MEGA mode and hit a beat in behind the boss on Descent.

Then, there are 2 potatoes to get in the <test> levels. I think it's a little random. The first time, I hit the Aperture logo and got 1 potato. Next time I was B&W and danger and dodged it, but still got the same potato. Tried it again and did the exact same thing, and I got the second potato.

aha, crucial

Noodles are the primary food of a retro gorilla.
Hill Towns of Tuscony tile is used for most syrup drawers

Sweet.

22 tots!

Narag said:
They tend to move on about 90% since it'll finish itself in due course.

Perhaps... however I know I couldn't play that game for more than 30 min. It started making me go crosseyed and slightly motion sick.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Ferrio said:
I must say Valve has pulled off one of the biggest trolls in video game history here.

I keep thinking that Valve is horrible for doing this. But come Monday/Tuesday, I'm going to be playing Portal 2 and praising Valve as the king once again. Sure it stinks having to wait, especially having a supposed carrot dangling in front of us, but most of us will forget about it once we're playing the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A very compelling, self-contained story, imo. Didn't feel at all lost never having played Amnesia before.

KF potates were easy. GlaDOS as the trader! Awesome!

I'll go Audiosurf and The Ball next to help out with stuff, then the rest I need are in games already 100%ed. Awww.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
faceless007 said:
How is Justine related to Amnesia? Is it a prequel or is the story dependent on the main game at all?

It's sorta kinda in the same universe, but wholly its own story.

Sort of like how Portal 1 is sorta kinda in the Half-Life universe if you catch the references, but it's own self-defined little thing that doesn't require any real Half-life knowledge to enjoy.

Zeitgeister said:
As for 'Justine':

the notes refer directly to Daniel, the first name you hear in Amnesia and Herbert, who I think is the protagonist of the first Penumbra game.

I haven't played either full game yet, but I am led to believe that Justine was already a character of Amnesia before the DLC. While the final sentence is a nice throwback and the whole thing an analogue to Glados, it probably does not have any real link to Portal in that sense.

If that's not the case though: metaphore away all you want.

btw, during play I actually heard the monster speak (when you need to hide from him in the chamber where the torches go out). So it is De Basille or whatever his name is.
Have you 100%'ed justine? There is a hidden record cartridge thing that explains what the monster is.

ArjanN

Twig said:
Just because you suck at video games doesn't make them bad!

About the Dejobaan games, I thought AAaahhh was indeed very good although 123 Kick It hasn't grabbed me at all yet and Wondeful End Of The world was just OK.

Twig

Banned
The more time that passes since I played Justine, the more I really appreciate it. And the current discussion doesn't hurt, either. :D

I really need to play the game proper, now. But Fucking Hell even that short little side story was so tense. I don't know if I could make it through a full-length game like that. D:

ArjanN said:
About the Dejobaan games, I thought AAaahhh was indeed very good although 123 Kick It hasn't grabbed me at all yet and Wondeful End Of The world was just OK.
I love Aaaa, I enjoy TWEOTW (though recognize that it's not great), and Kick It didn't grab me at first, either, but then I kept playing it and like it more, now. Even with its weird controls. Once it's actually a FINISHED game, I'll put considerably more time into it.

Ozone

After 3 days, we have 7 out of 13 bars left to fill and it's Sunday night.

This game is not getting released early.

Ozone said:

I don't think we have to fill up all the game bars. Just as long as the big bar is filled, it's good.

Twig

Banned
Ozone said:

Define "early", because its scheduled release is already earlier than it would have been sans ARG.

DoctorWho said:
I don't think we have to fill up all the game bars. Just as long as the big bar is filled, it's good.
The big bar looks like an average of all the little bars. Is there evidence to the contrary? I haven't really been following it - I just check the GlaDOS&home site every now and then out of idle curiosity.

Hylian7

Ozone said:

I doubt it too, but we don't know for sure. 7/13 is only about 53%, and the bar at the top is at almost 75%.

Twig

Banned
Hylian7 said:
I doubt it too, but we don't know for sure. 7/13 is only about 53%, and the bar at the top is at almost 75%.
Well, I guess that answers my question! EDIT: Or does it. Nevermind, I don't think it does. X:

Ozone

Hylian7 said:
Ah, good point.

I guess the potatoes are effecting just the big bar? Here's hoping maybe it'll be ready to go by Monday evening.

Luigison

There's a few games from the sack I don't own. Does playing the demos count?

Also, is there a place to tell how many potoatoes I've got?

blamite

Hylian7 said:
Because semi-filled bars count towards the big bar, but not to the overall timer.
Luigison said:
Also, is there a place to tell how many potoatoes I've got?
Yous Steam profile shown how many you have, but not which ones specifically.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hylian7 said:
Does that include the amount done in the unfinished bars though is what I am wondering? Like, will we hit a Wall once we have to do Killing Floor?

Also, the ARG wiki now has a application which will open and close the proper games at the proper times.

For the Overclock, the ideas floating around about just when it will happen (Also assuming if), is a 75% full bar, 8 game done, or 500k Taters.

Top Bottom