• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Ozone

Luigison said:
There's a few games from the sack I don't own. Does playing the demos count?

Also, is there a place to tell how many potoatoes I've got?
The potatoes should be displayed on your profile page under your name.

Nabs

Luigison said:
There's a few games from the sack I don't own. Does playing the demos count?

Also, is there a place to tell how many potoatoes I've got?
demos don't count.

check your steam community page for potatoes.

I wish the potatoes would say what game they're from. I counted the potatoes I thought I got and the ones I'm missing, and I'm coming up one short. :(

Symphonic

Participated heavily in the stuff towards the end with nelipot, was a fun ARG. Everyone in the IRC is fairly certain it's over; at least until Portal 2 launches. We got an email saying the kidnapped people have no importance right now.

Only have 9 potatoes. :(

Stabby McSter said:
I wish the potatoes would say what game they're from. I counted the potatoes I thought I got and the ones I'm missing, and I'm coming up one short. :(

Go here and check off the ones you do have.

Sibylus

Banned
Twig said:
The big bar looks like an average of all the little bars. Is there evidence to the contrary? I haven't really been following it - I just check the GlaDOS&home site every now and then out of idle curiosity.
Not only does it look like it, it is. Confirmed multiple times by multiple people, anyone can confirm it again in a minute or two with a calculator.

Big bar won't fill without the little ones.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
The thing that is the worst about this is getting even a hint of an idea that the game would release early was enough to ramp up excitement a lot, whether or not it WAS going to come out early or not, there is no way that people wouldn't get that idea given what was happening. The whole thing is about "release Portal 2 early".

Then its seeming like its virtually NOT going to release early at all (still coming out on Tuesday is not early whether its hours early or not) and THAT is killing everyone's hype.

Now, instead of hype building for the game as we move closer to the official launch, rather the hype is going backwards and more towards disappointment because this whole thing and all the effort people have put in is having no effect and its a complete negative anti-climax. Now rather than being excited that there is one more day to go its... God there is one more day to go and ive put in hours and hours of effort for what?

Personally I wish I never read anything about this arg, stayed oblivious and continued with my excitement of expecting the game come out on Tuesday because the hype I was feeling on Friday / Saturday for this would have been happening now. Now instead its just like... Meh I don't even care any more.

Now I know I'm going to completely enjoy the game, and once its finally on my hands my hype will fly through the roof again but I'm sick of hoping and hoping it will come any earlier than expected (truthfully I can't help myself checking the progress every hour) and thus I firmly believe that this has been an extremely negative endeavor for Portal 2 (maybe the Indie's get some exposure but at the expense of valves fans).

This is completely horrible and anyone who can't see the logic in why most people are dissapointed - well, I just don't get you either.

XeroSauce

Original-Blue said:
The thing that is the worst about this is getting even a hint of an idea that the game would release early was enough to ramp up excitement a lot, whether or not it WAS going to come out early or not, there is no way that people wouldn't get that idea given what was happening. The whole thing is about "release Portal 2 early".

Then its seeming like its virtually NOT going to release early at all (still coming out on Tuesday is not early whether its hours early or not) and THAT is killing everyone's hype.

Now, instead of hype building for the game as we move closer to the official launch, rather the hype is going backwards and more towards disappointment because this whole thing and all the effort people have put in is having no effect and its a complete negative anti-climax. Now rather than being excited that there is one more day to go its... God there is one more day to go and ive put in hours and hours of effort for what?

Personally I wish I never read anything about this arg, stayed oblivious and continued with my excitement of expecting the game come out on Tuesday because the hype I was feeling on Friday / Saturday for this would have been happening now. Now instead its just like... Meh I don't even care any more.

Now I know I'm going to completely enjoy the game, and once its finally on my hands my hype will fly through the roof again but I'm sick of hoping and hoping it will come any earlier than expected (truthfully I can't help myself checking the progress every hour) and thus I firmly believe that this has been an extremely negative endeavor for Portal 2 (maybe the Indie's get some exposure but at the expense of valves fans).

This is completely horrible and anyone who can't see the logic in why most people are dissapointed - well, I just don't get you either.

This is more then just "disappointment", it's anti-climactic. They're making the launch worse by doing this, I'd rather have a regular 1pm Tuesday launch then this crock of grinding and madness.

People are hoping the ARG continues after launch, people are hoping Valve will pull some "multiplier" out of their arse, but as of now, I'm just gonna browse some other stuff, because I've lost interest in early release.

Symphonic

Original-Blue said:

This would make sense to me if they ARG wasn't optional. I've taken part in several ARGs, most with no real pay off, and I enjoyed all of them immensely for what they did. I look at the Portal 2 ARG as something to do while I wait for the game, not as something to build hyped.

While I admit the payoff is disappointing, that's not Valve's fault. They're releasing the game a few hours early and that's that. It's a pretty cool thing, if you shift your attention from the ARG to the fact that we're getting the game sooner than expected.

XeroSauce said:

This is more then just "disappointment", it's anti-climactic. They're making the launch worse by doing this, I'd rather have a regular 1pm Tuesday launch then this crock of grinding and madness.

People are hoping the ARG continues after launch, people are hoping Valve will pull some "multiplier" out of their arse, but as of now, I'm just gonna browse some other stuff, because I've lost interest in early release.

This is fucking ridiculous to say. The only reason the launch is ruined is because you're letting it be ruined. Stop being an enemy to your own excitement.

Burger

The level of self entitlement pouring out of this thread is off the charts.

Most people here are reasonably level headed, but some of you seriously need to get a grip. Do you even realise what the A in ARG stands for?

Zomba13

It's cool of valve to release Portal 2 a few hours early but this really is a bad way to end it all. I mean, a simple test to solve or something for a little early release would have been better. As it is now we're just idling/playing games to fill up bars with pretty much nothing, happening in between especially not since the main ARG character is presumably dead and all we have is the occasion entrance from GLaDOS doing nothing but popping into the chat saying we're going 'good'.

KiKaL

Personally this ARG did exactly what Valve wanted it to for me. I went from being excited about Portal 2 but actually planning on waiting til a Steam Sale to actually purchase it. Now I own the potato pack, got all 36 potatoes and super excited for Portal 2 and getting it day one. The only downside I see is that I did pre-order from Amazon so this resolution means nothing for me and my excitement definitely has decreased. I'm very happy I picked up the potato pack. I am loving the games even though I already had Amnesia, Defense Grid, Killing Floor and Audiosurf.

Twig

Banned
loblaw said:
This is fucking ridiculous to say. The only reason the launch is ruined is because you're letting it be ruined. Stop being an enemy to your own excitement.
PREACH IT.

*brofist*

Goon Boon

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
A few hours early = a few hours after the console launch. lol.
Plus since the console versions shipped early and have no zero day protection, I've been spoiled at least three times since Friday by either accident or other bullshit.

TheExodu5 said:
A few hours early = a few hours after the console launch. lol.
Yeah that bugs me. If Valve can release the game at, say, 4am their time, why haven't they been releasing games at midnight as standard?

TheExodu5

Banned
butter_stick said:
Yeah that bugs me. If Valve can release the game at, say, 4am their time, why haven't they been releasing games at midnight as standard?

So they can have an ARG where it culminates in releasing the game at midnight, obviously.

That being said, I did enjoy the potato hunting.

Twig

Banned
Stabby McSter said:
I would recommend checking the Defense Grid potatoes before any others if you can't find which one you accidentally checked off. Because it's got five, and four of them involve the console, and two each of the ones that involve the console are pretty similar.

J:

Aside from that, you're aware that the 36th potato is a freebie, right? And you're in the nelipot Steam group?

Zomba13

I went from 'excited about Portal 2' to 'OMG PORTAL 2 IS COMING!!!!!' to 'Wow, some of these games are awesome' to 'YAY! Gold Potato!' to 'wtf!? Bars?' to 'whoopdeedoo, portal 2 a few hours early -.-'

Still hyped for Portal 2 but not as much as before the bars. The bars now makes the wait until Portal 2 less of a wait and more like work. Like even though it's still coming on the promised day (or a bit earlier) instead of the wait being just a wait it's now something we have to work for. (I knew we don't. It's just how this thing makes me feel. Fucking slow bars, why can't you be cool like your brother fast building bar?)

Lord-Audie said:
Because the effort doesn't equate the effort.

Hundreds of hours spent filling a meter. For maybe a few hours off the release date.

OH NO, WE"RE PLAYING OPTIONAL GAMES AND PORTAL 2 IS STILL COMING OUT

WOE IS US

Twig said:
I would recommend checking the Defense Grid potatoes before any others if you can't find which one you accidentally checked off. Because it's got five, and four of them involve the console, and two each of the ones that involve the console are pretty similar.

J:

Aside from that, you're aware that the 36th potato is a freebie, right? And you're in the nelipot Steam group?
Yeah, I counted the 36th one and the nelipot one. It ended up being a Defense Grid one, so I feel kinda dumb. :(

Twig

Banned
Nappuccino said:

WOE IS US
Didn't you know? Playing fun games is work! Nobody plays games for fun! Certainly not GAFfers, oh me oh my. D: D:

TheExodu5 said:
Oh hey Bit.Trip is about to finish. Any guesses as to how much time it takes off?

60 minutes

:|

At the rate people are leaving (only a bit over 2000 now, was over 4000 earlier) it'll probably take another hour.

Nappuccino said:

WOE IS US
This is such a dumb argument. People wouldn't be expressing disappointment if Portal being released early was never proposed. When Valve told us "get Portal 2 released early!" but it turns out it's probably going to result in nothing but an early morning or very late evening release, people are within their rights to be disappointed.

Twig

Banned
I think the hilariousest part of this whole fiasco is that so many of the people bitching about it are still idling.

If you really don't like it, stop participating. Ya dummies.

Lord-Audie said:
Because the effort doesn't equate the effort.

Hundreds of hours spent filling a meter. For maybe a few hours off the release date.

More so for working people who won't be able to play it when it does release anyway.

If the overall timing has been set for a weekend release, few people would complain. It's the Farmville-work-but-no-reward that seems to be what's getting to people here.

Kind of ironic for an industry that basically trives on instant gratification to miss that crucial link. It's just poor timing.

The quite literal looting of peoples enjoyment by pirate scum doesn't help either.

Symphonic

butter_stick said:
This is such a dumb argument. People wouldn't be expressing disappointment if Portal being released early was never proposed. When Valve told us "get Portal 2 released early!" but it turns out it's probably going to result in nothing but an early morning or very late evening release, people are within their rights to be disappointed.

Disappointed, yes. Saying that all your excitement is gone and that it'd be better if it was just releasing at it's regular time, however, is insane.

Twig

Banned
It's okay, all will be made well when Episode 3 is announced immediately following Portal 2's release.

I don't believe it for a second, but I want to.

Jintor

Not really. I'm a litlte tired of the bullshit myself.

Even in the worst-case scenario I'll be playing Portal 2 tommorrow, so... well... whatever.

XeroSauce

Twig said:
It's okay, all will be made well when Episode 3 is announced immediately following Portal 2's release.

I don't believe it for a second, but I want to.

My body wants to be ready. :(

loblaw said:
Disappointed, yes. Saying that all your excitement is gone and that it'd be better if it was just releasing at it's regular time, however, is insane.
Sure. But I can understand how people would be left feeling jaded by the situation. I'm still very excited, but this part being so dragged out has left a sour taste.

rinker

It's just simply disappointing...It's better than nothing because a lot of people got some pleasure from the process, but to me it was an exciting build up to an ultimately disappointing conclusion.

My excitement level for Portal 2 wasn't diminished, I pre-ordered it months ago and I'll play it day one regardless, I'm just disappointed by the outcome of the ARG.

butter_stick said:

You act like valve is hold the switch and nothing we ever could have done would have gotten it released friday or saturday. If more people who already owned the games picked up on the ARG and played their games, we'd have it already.

This isn't in anyway Valve's fault.

Twig

Banned
Crunched said:
Damn it how many times have we been over this
Well, I dunno, he has a point.

Nappuccino said:
You act like valve is hold the switch and nothing we ever could have done would have gotten it released friday or saturday. If more people who already owned the games picked up on the ARG and played their games, we'd have it already.

This isn't in anyway Valve's fault.
Oh man I was with you until you started blaming the Steam community for not playing enough games. Not sure if trollan. Even I would never say that (about this ARG).

Fox318

I will say that the next Valve pr event I won't fall for this shit again. its bad enough Valve delays their games but to wave it in front of fans faces like this and say:"If you want it jump"

Red

Well we're just cycling the same old thing now as we have for the past dozen or so pages. No use in retreading ground.

See you guys when Portal 2 releases.

Twig

Banned
Fox318 said:
I will say that the next Valve pr event I won't fall for this shit again. its bad enough Valve delays their games but to wave it in front of fans faces like this and say:"If you want it jump"
Yeah, fuck forbid people participate in the ARG for fun!

Crunched said:
Well we're just cycling the same old thing now as we have for the past dozen or so pages. No use in retreading ground.
You have no one to blame but yourself. ):

Symphonic

Fox318 said:

I know, right? I'm sick of having fun while waiting for awesome games.

Top Bottom