• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

TheExodu5

Banned
Nappuccino said:
You act like valve is hold the switch and nothing we ever could have done would have gotten it released friday or saturday. If more people who already owned the games picked up on the ARG and played their games, we'd have it already.

This isn't in anyway Valve's fault.
You can't possible believe what you just wrote. There's no way.

Nappuccino said:
You act like valve is hold the switch and nothing we ever could have done would have gotten it released friday or saturday. If more people who already owned the games picked up on the ARG and played their games, we'd have it already.

This isn't in anyway Valve's fault.
Oh come on.

Twig said:
Well, I dunno, he has a point.

Oh man I was with you until you started blaming the Steam community for not playing enough games. Not sure if trollan. Even I would never say that (about this ARG).

I'm not blaming people for not playing their games, I think the ARG was just known in a very niche group of gamers (i.e. people like us). It had a small turnout for that very reason.

Nappuccino said:
why is everyone so pissed the game is coming out early

it makes no sense.
I'd guess it's mostly because, by this point, the practical benefit is pretty much gone. Most people have weekends off, so an early release yesterday or early today would have given some nice, responsibility-free time to sit back and really enjoy it. But getting this late Sunday night, folks are getting ready to go back to work/school tomorrow, so that time has passed. Unless things really speed up and the game is released for when people start getting home tomorrow, this whole deal basically wouldn't have mattered.

Yeah, it might technically be released early, as in "before 7 AM PST," but only 5 or 15 or whatever hours won't be a real difference since most of the people going to work or school still wouldn't be getting to play until Tuesday afternoon.

epmode

TWO HOURS UNTIL THE HEAT DEATH OF THE UNIVERSE
TWO HOURS UNTIL SINGULARITY (UNLESS OTHERWISE REDETERMINED)
TWO HOURS TO NEXT TUESDAY (UNLESS OTHERWISE REDETERMINED)

Ferrio

Banned
loblaw said:
I know, right? I'm sick of having fun while waiting for awesome games.

You don't think maybe there might of been a faction of people that don't like any or some of those games that bought them and played them on the principle that portal 2 would be released early (early being more than a few hours)

Twig

Banned
Ferrio said:
You don't think maybe there might of been a faction of people that don't like any or some of those games that bought them and played them on the principle that portal 2 would be released early (early being more than a few hours)
If there are such people, they aren't worth considering, because they have awful taste, and people with awful taste aren't really people, now are they?

Plus, they're not obligated to play the games. They can stop and go play Call of Dooty like the rest of the braindead mouthbreathers.

zyxwvu4321 said:
I'd guess it's mostly because, by this point, the practical benefit is pretty much gone. Most people have weekends off, so an early release yesterday or early today would have given some nice, responsibility-free time to sit back and really enjoy it. But getting this late Sunday night, folks are getting ready to go back to work/school tomorrow, so that time has passed. Unless things really speed up and the game is released for when people start getting home tomorrow, this whole deal basically wouldn't have mattered.

Yeah, it might technically be released early, as in "before 7 AM PST," but only 5 or 15 or whatever hours won't be a real difference since most of the people going to work or school still wouldn't be getting to play until Tuesday afternoon.
Completely agree. It has just rubbed it in our faces really, the game is done and they're not releasing it because of some stupid game. Great if you're unemployed or have no responsibilities. I think a large chunk of the PC audience doesn't care about it coming out slightly early on a week day.

Twig said:
If there are such people, they aren't worth considering, because they have awful taste, and people with awful taste aren't really people, now are they?

Plus, they're not obligated to play the games. They can stop and go play Call of Dooty like the rest of the braindead mouthbreathers.
People played The Wonderful End of the World.

The Wonderful End of the World.

Twig

Banned
butter_stick said:

Yep! Fun game. The worst of the lot, but not awful by any stretch of the imagination.

TheExodu5

Banned
butter_stick said:

I idled and cheated my way to its potatoes, thank you very much.

Nappuccino said:
And I heard from most people that it wasn't a painful experience.

It's easily the worst game I have played in a very long time. Or maybe that was Kick It. I don't know. One of those two.

Twig

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

It's easily the worst game I have played in a very long time. Or maybe that was Kick It. I don't know. One of those two.
EDIT: Napp's response is better.

I'm constantly surprised at how many people let achievements ruin games for them. This is like listening to people complain about how annoying the collectibles or difficulty in a game is after 100%-ing it. When I saw that I had to get a bunch of achievements and compulsively watch a bar all weekend to participate I was out. You suckers can do the work and I'll get Portal 2 a few hours earlier. The reward for getting the magic potato or whatever would pretty much have to be Half-Life 3 for me to regret not getting it. Now fire up Amnesia you pansies; shit ain't going to unlock itself.

TheExodu5 said:

Then hurray, you've been playing great games!

TheExodu5

Banned
Nappuccino said:
Then hurray, you've been playing great games!

I had already played through almost all of them before this weekend.

That being said it doesn't even matter if you play them or not. With the amount of effort it's seemingly taking to max out those bars, the only thing you can do is idle 24/7, or just forget about the ordeal altogether.

Red

CaptainAhab said:
I'm constantly surprised at how many people let achievements ruin games for them. This is like listening to people complain about how annoying the collectibles or difficulty in a game is after 100%-ing it. When I saw that I had to get a bunch of achievements and compulsively watch a bar all weekend to participate I was out. You suckers can do the work and I'll get Portal 2 a few hours earlier. The reward for getting the magic potato or whatever would pretty much have to be Half-Life 3 for me to regret not getting it. Now fire up Amnesia you pansies; shit ain't going to unlock itself.
How much you want to bet

I know I said I wasn't coming back but dammit I can't help myself.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
butter_stick said:

Not a AAA title but it's certainly not bad. Way more playable than 1 2 3 Kick It, at the very least.

TheExodu5 said:
I had already played through almost all of them before this weekend.

That is the main issue i have with this- Would someone who has beaten amnesia or SMB really want to play the game again?

I think it would have been better if the games were really indie (like most of them in the pack) or multiplayer (like KF) or inherently replayable (like audiosurf)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Spire said:
Not a AAA title but it's certainly not bad. Way more playable than 1 2 3 Kick It, at the very least.
Wonderful End of the World is a very polarizing game. People ether hate it or love it.

Red

Nappuccino said:
That is the main issue i have with this- Would someone who has beaten amnesia or SMB really want to play the game again?

I think it would have been better if the games were really indie (like most of them in the pack) or multiplayer (like KF) or inherently replayable (like audiosurf)
What does "really indie" mean?

Fox318

Twig said:
Yeah, fuck forbid people participate in the ARG for fun!

You have no one to blame but yourself. ):
It would have been more fun..you know if Valve rewarded its customers. If this was anyone other then Valve everyone would be caliing bull.

Twig

Banned
The fun is the reward. Jesus Christ. I bet you don't play any games without achievements, either.

Drkirby said:
Wonderful End of the World is a very polarizing game. People ether hate it or love it.
I like it. O:

WHERE'S YOUR DOCTORATE NOW, MISTER KIRBY.

Most the time you didn't need to play through the games again. I can't think of an example where that was the case.

Ultimately the cool thing about this ARG is the game updates we got. Defense Grid, The Ball and Audiosurf especially all got really cool and fun content.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nappuccino said:

It should have been something more meaningful and less arbitrary than it has been. Also, they should have just disclosed their criteria beforehand. Now, it's only resulting people getting disappointed as they release the so called early release is looking to be a midnight launch at best. This is pretty disappointing to me since I work Tuesday, and therefore their early release offers zero benefit to my situation.

butter_stick said:
Most the time you didn't need to play through the games again. I can't think of an example where that was the case.

Ultimately the cool thing about this ARG is the game updates we got. Defense Grid, The Ball and Audiosurf especially all got really cool and fun content.

Those were my favorites as well. The content in The Ball was particularly impressive.

butter_stick said:

I tried idling the games i got overnight but it added no new hours to my played hours total.

As far as I can tell you have to play the game to have any sort of meaningful benefit.

And yes, the ARG updates were mostly awesome.

Fox318

butter_stick said:

They could have just had the updates in the sack and it would have been a great weekend.The arg just comes off as a gimick to sell some extra games. you thin the devs like the idea that people are just idling in their games.

rinker

Does this really have anything to do with the Potato sack games? I don't think so...It's about the build up and people feeling misled that the portal 2 could have been unlocked on Friday or Saturday. This wouldn't have been an issue f they just made a news post a couple of weeks ago that said:

"Because we have the best fans in the world, we are going to unlock Portal 2 at Midnight instead of Noon! While you wait for Portal 2 to be unlocked, it seems that Glados has hacked into the Potato sack games and made some changes. These 13 games are on sale now so check it out and see if you can find what Glados has changed."

Those who were interested could get their Potatoes and check out the new updates, but it wouldn't have resulted in the argument that we are having now.

Nappuccino said:
I tried idling the games i got overnight but it added no new hours to my played hours total.

As far as I can tell you have to play the game to have any sort of meaningful benefit.

And yes, the ARG updates were mostly awesome.
I've idled and had the played time go up.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Drkirby said:

I'm fine with it, I don't swing too far in either direction. It's a shameless Katamari clone filled with Dejobaan's "8th grade computer nerd" sense of humor.

I don't want to hear any bitching. I willfully participated even though I'm getting it from Amazon, it was a fun little thing to do and I played some ok games. Don't regret it at all.

Symphonic

rinker said:
Does this really have anything to do with the Potato sack games? I don't think so...It's about the build up and people feeling misled that the portal 2 could have been unlocked on Friday or Saturday. This wouldn't have been an issue f they just made a news post a couple of weeks ago that said:

"Because we have the best fans in the world, we are going to unlock Portal 2 at Midnight instead of Noon! While you wait for Portal 2 to be unlocked, it seems that Glados has hacked into the Potato sack games and made some changes. These 13 games are on sale now so check it out and see if you can find what Glados has changed."

Those who were interested could get their Potatoes and check out the new updates, but it wouldn't have resulted in the argument that we are having now.

This. I think if Valve did anything wrong it was make it easy for their clues to be mislead to mean "coming out Friday".

But in the end, it's the players' fault for making assumptions.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Twig said:
The fun is the reward. Jesus Christ. I bet you don't play any games without achievements, either.

I like it. O:

WHERE'S YOUR DOCTORATE NOW, MISTER KIRBY.
I don't know, but I liked the game too. Did you take it?

Ickman3400 said:
I don't want to hear any bitching. I willfully participated even though I'm getting it from Amazon, it was a fun little thing to do and I played some ok games. Don't regret it at all.

this.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
fizzelopeguss said:
If it was half life 3 you'd have something to be pissed about.

If this thing unlocked the Half Life 3 Dev. team to get to work the bars would have been filled up 10x over by now.

TheExodu5

Banned
Jenga said:
anyone else think the potato overdrive may go off at the 24 hour mark?

I think the game will release in 28 hours.

I don't expect any "overdrive" at all. And if it does happen, I don't think it will be anything more than a scripted event created to deliver the game at the time that was planned.

Jenga

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I think the game will release in 28 hours.

I don't expect any "overdrive" at all. And if it does happen, I don't think it will be anything more than a scripted event created to deliver the game at the time that was planned.
who cares

i bet valve will overdrive it in a bit so we can play it monday noon or something

Top Bottom