• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey, can anybody explanificate the process for someone who hasn't played/unlocked Toki Tori much to get the potatoes?

This is the one game where I really can just not follow the ARG wiki's instructions. The page is really confusing.

TheExodu5

Banned
Create a profile with the name "Potato". Get to the teleporter in Bonus level 2. Download the zip file from the wiki and paste the level into the game's level directory. Play that level (Bonus level 6) and reach the teleporter.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Hawkian said:
Hey, can anybody explanificate the process for someone who hasn't played/unlocked Toki Tori much to get the potatoes?

This is the one game where I really can just not follow the ARG wiki's instructions. The page is really confusing.

What part are you confused about? Do you have the <TEST> levels? Have you completed the three main Portal levels in order to unlock the "bonus" levels? Do you need the one where you need to change the level file, or the one where you just need to beat the level in a specific way? The latter is pretty self explanatory.

TheOGB

Banned
Finally did my part, got a few more potatoes and am currently idling in BIT.TRIP BEAT and Super Meat Boy

....Well, I actually started playing Super Meat Boy to get that LAST FREAKIN BANDAGE so I can get the other potato

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Campster said:
What part are you confused about? Do you have the <TEST> levels? Have you completed the three main Portal levels in order to unlock the "bonus" levels? Do you need the one where you need to change the level file, or the one where you just need to beat the level in a specific way? The latter is pretty self explanatory.

I've booted up Toki Tori once before, so... I need to know where to start to get both as someone who has nothing unlocked.

Sorry Exodus, where is the zip file on the wiki?

WEGGLES

Drkirby said:
Well, if we are lucky an over drive will kick in in a few minutes. Really, Monday After Noon would be good enough for me.
Yeah, or monday morning...

Monday is my first day off in 6 days, so it'd be nice to have the day to play portal.

Campster

Hawkian said:
I've booted up Toki Tori once before, so... I need to know where to start to get both as someone who has nothing unlocked.

Sorry Exodus, where is the zip file on the wiki?

You don't need to unlock anything in the main game.

As Exodu5 said, create a profile named "Potato" and when you go to choose your level you'll see <TEST> as one of the available worlds. Go there and beat the three "normal" levels - there's walkthroughs for the third one on the wiki, but the first two should be pretty easy on their own.

Once you've beaten all three normal <TEST> levels, the bonus <TEST> levels will be unlocked. Get to the teleporters in each of them following the instructions in the wiki.

Mudkips

Banned
I've never understood the appeal of ARGs.
They're terrible marketing stunts.

Nobody every "solves" these things. It's all scripted to hell, so that each new "clue" (which is usually just pointless flavor text) is released when the organizers want it to be. Certain people are hand picked and fed actual information whenever the "community" gets stuck / starts to lose interest.

I don't get why people are so invested in this, or so mad that they're not getting what they wanted. Valve might release the game on Steam early. Enjoy it. All the "effort" people put in was launching a game and alt tabbing out, and a few people have been fed information from Valve employees on where to look for stuff. Cry me a river.

The fact that you chose to play (or not play) a grab bag of mediocre games this weekend and watch some bars fill up is a testament to how your obsessive lust for hats and other such bullshit is so easily exploited. Gabe's money pit got that much more stuffed from people buying the 13 game bundle, and all they had to do was make a few simple web pages, and tell some "indie" developers "Hey, if you want a sales boost, put some Portal shit in your games. We'll give you some assets.".

The ease with which the "community" is exploited is pathetic. The overlap between those who've been bitching all day and those who are still fervently idling in games and watching bars fill up, posting their entitled rants on various forums, is embarrassing.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
dave is ok said:
Is there any reason at all to think it will?
The 8th game will be done, and that will be more the half the games. Unlikely, but who knows.

Maybe more time will get knocked of this one too.

TheExodu5

Banned
What can I say? I'm a huge Portal fan and very much looking forward to Portal 2. The prospect of getting to play the game early was exciting.

DarkKyo

Mudkips said:

Nobody every "solves" these things. It's all scripted to hell, so that each new "clue" (which is usually just pointless flavor text) is released when the organizers want it to be. Certain people are hand picked and fed actual information whenever the "community" gets stuck / starts to lose interest.

I don't get why people are so invested in this, or so mad that they're not getting what they wanted. Valve might release the game on Steam early. Enjoy it. All the "effort" people put in was launching a game and alt tabbing out, and a few people have been fed information from Valve employees on where to look for stuff. Cry me a river.

The fact that you chose to play (or not play) a grab bag of mediocre games this weekend and watch some bars fill up is a testament to how your obsessive lust for hats and other such bullshit is so easily exploited. Gabe's money pit got that much more stuffed from people buying the 13 game bundle, and all they had to do was make a few simple web pages, and tell some "indie" developers "Hey, if you want a sales boost, put some Portal shit in your games. We'll give you some assets.".

The ease with which the "community" is exploited is pathetic. The overlap between those who've been bitching all day and those who are still fervently idling in games and watching bars fill up, posting their entitled rants on various forums, is embarrassing.
Someone's got something up their butt.

Campster

Mudkips said:

The fact that you chose to play (or not play) a grab bag of mediocre games this weekend and watch some bars fill up is a testament to how easily your obsessive lust for hats and other such bullshit is so easily exploited. Gabe's money pit got that much more stuffed from people buying the 13 game bundle, and all they had to do was make a few simple web pages, and tell some "indie" developers "Hey, if you want a sales boost, put some Portal shit in your games. We'll give you some assets.".

Whoa whoa whoa, these are some top shelf indie games. Super Meat Boy, Audiosurf, Amnesia, Killing Floor.... these are super quality games with name recognition well outside of indie circles. And even the lesser known titles aren't too shabby - a bit more niche in their target demographics, perhaps, but I don't think there's a game in the list that's a complete waste of harddrive space.

Also, I think being derisive to indie developers is unnecessary. The ARG was fun, and we're all looking forward to Portal 2. This end-game is really what's got people frustrated and disappointed, and that's understandable.

XeroSauce

Mudkips said:

The fact that you chose to play (or not play) a grab bag of mediocre games this weekend and watch some bars fill up is a testament to how easily your obsessive lust for hats and other such bullshit is so easily exploited. Gabe's money pit got that much more stuffed from people buying the 13 game bundle, and all they had to do was make a few simple web pages, and tell some "indie" developers "Hey, if you want a sales boost, put some Portal shit in your games. We'll give you some assets.".

I don't know if you were following the ARG or not, but for those involved, the video, zip files, and glyphs are part of the fun. I'd love to see some source as to how this ARG was scripted; yes, players were recruited, but as part of the ARG, not as sources themselves.

Then you go on about how people are disappointed, well yea, we're disappointed that the ARG eld to an anti-climax, and that in turn gives you a bad taste for Portal 2's "early release". I don't see why you people are so strungup about what we complain about, if we feel entitled, so what? What is your problem? Are we coming to your door and bothering you about it? No, we're sticking to our thread, so you can shut up about it already.

Thirdly, you mention "money pits" and "hats", clearly a failed jab at TF2 humor and Valve's TF2 store, which this has nothing to do with. Gabe's money pit? Try all those indie developers who are getting the spotlight (and this leads to my previous paragraph, it's a good and bad spotlight) and a pack f games well worth the price of admission? I don't get why you put indie in quotes either, trying to be arrogant about them not really being "indie"?

And mediocre games? You're telling me Killing Floor, SMB, Amnesia are mediocre?

And then you talk about "exploited", and"embarrassment". Right, we're embarrassing, talking about a game ARG on the thread about it and making conversation. Everyone has a valid complaint, and would like to share their opinion, and yet you come into this thread with no prior indication and just start berating everyone in it? You're embarrassing. Get another hobby.

If you people are so upset over us being upset, you're free to leave. No one is keeping you here to answer our cry.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, Bit Trip is done, now to wait till it clicks blue.

Edit: Am I seeing things or did that take only 30 minutes off :/

Blackheim

Here's a fun game :D Count how many times people have used the words; entitle, entitled or entitlement in a disparaging way! Half of those posts seem to throw out that word like it were a ctachphrase rather than trying to actually make a statement :p

Yep, I can generalize and be surly too but, to what end? I wasn't even going to post this but hell, there's still plenty of time before the game comes out :D

dave is ok

aztek is ok
This is the worst end to an unbelievably well done ARG ever. They need to coin a new term for 'jumping the shark' just for this. 'Idling the computation?'

Top Bottom