• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Is there any word on if the ARG-specific content is going to be removed from games at some point? I can't afford to get get any of the potato games right now but want to check out the Ball stuff if I can get it later.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm glad I got the golden potato. It reminds me of the good parts of the ARG. To be honest, we're hardly going to care about this whole fiasco once Portal 2 releases. It's just sad they had to end on such a shitty note.

faceless007 said:
Is there any word on if the ARG-specific content is going to be removed from games at some point? I can't afford to get get any of the potato games right now but want to check out the Ball stuff if I can get it later.

I'm not sure. I hope The Ball content stays. It was awesome.

epmode

I love how Killing Floor isn't even halfway done yet. NEED MORE POTATOES HURRY HURRY HURRY TURBO!!!!!!!!!
faceless007 said:
Is there any word on if the ARG-specific content is going to be removed from games at some point?
I've heard that most of it will eventually be removed. Amnesia's stuff will stay but that's only vaguely related to Portal.

It should all stay though. Most of the new content is great.

Blizzard said:
To be fair, it's probably a good thing Braid didn't end up with Portal content. For one thing, it would involve mind-bendingly difficult puzzles. For the second thing, one of the potatoes would involve holding down the fast-forward key for 3 hours while clouds floated by. =P
Or even worse, more Jonathan Blow bullshit writings.

He could take something great and destroy it.

Twig

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I'm glad I got the golden potato. It reminds me of the good parts of the ARG. To be honest, we're hardly going to care about this whole fiasco once Portal 2 releases. It's just sad they had to end on such a shitty note.
This is one of the few times I can look at one of your posts and not find anything to disagree with! Though "fiasco" is a strong word for something as inconsequential as this, I'm willing to forgive it.

Bravo!

TheExodu5 said:
I'm not sure. I hope The Ball content stays. It was awesome.
Gaijin Games blog said their Portal level in Bit.Trip was temporary. Hopefully they're the only ones. Some of that content is way too good to only be available for a limited time.

TheOGB

Banned
Well, I believe I've collected all the potatoes I possibly could. It is now up to the rest of the internet.
RDquz.gif

dave is ok said:
Don't worry, we're like 99% sure that the CPUs will overclock at 439,439 or maybe 450,000. 475,000 or 500,000

Based on nothing at all
pick a milestone, any one. once it disappoints you pick another, it's a wonderful game!

TheExodu5

Banned
Twig said:
This is one of the few times I can look at one of your posts and not find anything to disagree with! Though "fiasco" is a strong word for something as inconsequential as this, I'm willing to forgive it.

Bravo!

And your posts are still as annoying and condescending as usual.

Bravo!

corn_fest

Mr. Spinnington said:
pick a milestone, any one. once it disappoints you pick another, it's a wonderful game!
The best part is watching #valvearg2 melt down every time. It's really amazing how they keep getting their hopes up.

Seeing how scripted this whole thing is, the potatoes will come in to effect 12 hours before Valve's preferred release time. I don't believe they seriously want the game to come out at 4am, so it'll probably come in to effect in time to get the release to midnight or, if we're really lucky, sometime Monday evening.

Twig

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
And your posts are still as annoying and condescending as usual.

Bravo!
Do you really believe I was being serious? That post was drowning in sarcasm. Man, you've got issues. (I was being sincere about not disagreeing, though!)

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Nappuccino said:
I'm pretty sure there's a correlation of potatoes to speed but its nothing crazy so far.
The sad part is that there isn't. And there is also no correlation between CPUs and completion %.

Valve might need to be applauded for how seriously they take their evil robots. Glados is even evil to the people participating in her ARG/marketing campaign. It's all very meta

Cipherr

dave is ok said:
It was supposed to come out on December 20th and was originally going to include Braid, Red Orchestra and not have 1..2..3.. Kick It.

Something with those devs probably fell through and they had to push back the ARG

Duuuuude I so had this Avatar first!!!!

Red

I propose a drinking game: every time the project launch timer changes, we take a shot. After a few minutes we will wake up and after we're released from hospital Portal 2 will be out.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Cipherr said:
Duuuuude I so had this Avatar first!!!!
I took it on page six. You took it on page eleven or something. You really didn't. But give me a new one if you want me to change it. Something to commemorate this horrible ARG.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
dave is ok said:
The sad part is that there isn't. And there is also no correlation between CPUs and completion %.

Valve might need to be applauded for how seriously they take their evil robots. Glados is even evil to the people participating in her ARG/marketing campaign. It's all very meta

There is a correlation between CPUs and the rate at which a given game completes, but it isn't a direct relationship and doesn't do much to improve overall speed. Whatever gains might be had from it can be counter-acted by having the stupid clock drop a half-hour instead of a larger increment of time. So yeah, effectively the CPUs are meaningless, but they ARE related to individual game's completion speed.

scogoth

Crunched said:
I propose a drinking game: every time the project launch timer changes, we take a shot. After a few minutes we will wake up and after we're released from hospital Portal 2 will be out.

So we drink every 8-10 hours?

Campster said:
There is a correlation between CPUs and the rate at which a given game completes, but it isn't a direct relationship and doesn't do much to improve overall speed. Whatever gains might be had from it can be counter-acted by having the stupid clock drop a half-hour instead of a larger increment of time. So yeah, effectively the CPUs are meaningless, but they ARE related to individual game's completion speed.

It seems akin to inertia. It takes awhile to get something going, but then once its going it keeps going even after the push stops. Then friction comes in and makes it slow down.

They probably take samples of the gamers playing every so often and adjust the bar accordingly. I.e. its not completely real time.

TheExodu5

Banned
Campster said:

I think the overall growth rate is set in stone and is simply distributed to each game in accordance to the player ratios.

scogoth

I'm SOOOOO excited I can't believe we'll be able to play portal 2 on the day its supposed to be launched! Valve is so cool for releasing games on the actual release date!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
scogoth said:
I'm SOOOOO excited I can't believe we'll be able to play portal 2 on the day its supposed to be launched! Valve is so cool for releasing games on the actual release date!

By playing all these games you get the honor of playing the game at the same time the people who pick it up at midnight at Wal-Mart do.

Congratulations!
1z5urnd.gif

scogoth said:

Actually, the game was delayed. We were supposed to be playing this two weeks ago.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DrForester said:
By playing all these games you get the honor of playing the game at the same time the people who pick it up at midnight at Wal-Mart do.

Congratulations!
PC MASTER RACE REPRESENT!

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I kind of hope the next game to complete actually adds time to the counter. If you're gonna troll people, you might as well go all in.

Tanolen

DrForester said:

Congratulations!

Unless you are from europe!

Joe Molotov

dave is ok said:
I kind of hope the next game to complete actually adds time to the counter. If you're gonna troll people, you might as well go all in.

Maybe it'll push it back to Wednesday or Thursday. I would have to bow down to that level of trolling.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
DrForester said:

Congratulations!

scogoth said:

You know, if this was what was said when the counter reached zero I think people would be less annoyed.

Seriously, imagine if GlaDOS's message stopped after "April Fools" and that was it. People would be pissed, sure, but it'd be hilarious and at least they'd be open about deceiving people, unlike this whole disaster.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Campster said:
You know, if this was what was said when the counter reached zero I think people would be less annoyed.

Seriously, imagine if GlaDOS's message stopped after "April Fools" and that was it. People would be pissed, sure, but it'd be hilarious and at least they'd be open about deceiving people, unlike this whole disaster.

Bars fill up, Timer goes up 2 weeks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
dave is ok said:
Pretty much.

This ARG has gone to shits so bad, its disappoint on behalf of Valve. Even my hope for some sort of non-Portal related item in all of this has diminished.

You can only hope that Valve wants us to lose hope for a big surprise, but even that I cannot hope for.

hoperunsdeep.avi

dave is ok

aztek is ok
One of the best trolls of the week was releasing a sizable TF2 update on the day before the weekend they wanted people to be playing indie games instead.

Nabs

dave is ok said:
It will happen with Audiosurf

Oreoleo

dave is ok said:
One of the best trolls of the week was releasing a sizable TF2 update on the day before the weekend they wanted people to be playing indie games instead.

And then having the update breaking the game for damn near everyone so you can't play it even if you want to :|

Tanolen

dave is ok said:

The update broke TF2 for alot of people, me included, so even better!

dave is ok said:

Yes, Valve wants us to play these games. Nobody has any interest in them otherwise and no good can come from playing them.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Twig said:
Do you really believe I was being serious? That post was drowning in sarcasm. Man, you've got issues. (I was being sincere about not disagreeing, though!)
Sarcasm is at times pretty hard to pick up in text. Going to be a nightmare for the person charged with with combing over the archives of this message board some indefinite amount of time from now.

Oreoleo

Drkirby said:
Sarcasm is at times pretty hard to pick up in text. Going to be a nightmare for the person charged with with combing over the archives of this message board some indefinite amount of time from now.

Good lord, Kirby, what are you talking about?

Top Bottom