• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Twig

Banned
Drkirby said:
Sarcasm is at times pretty hard to pick up in text. Going to be a nightmare for the person charged with with combing over the archives of this message board some indefinite amount of time from now.
Excuses!
Campster said:
You know, if this was what was said when the counter reached zero I think people would be less annoyed.

Seriously, imagine if GlaDOS's message stopped after "April Fools" and that was it. People would be pissed, sure, but it'd be hilarious and at least they'd be open about deceiving people, unlike this whole disaster.
I would cry both tears and laughter and tears of sadness. For a week straight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Actually I am stuck on Audiosurf. Somehow this has become the most frustrating one so far, and I love this game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Orellio said:
Good lord, Kirby, what are you talking about?
Huh? Oh, don't mind me, I am a bit tired.

On non-ramblings, it looks like a few games are increasing in the pace the bar fills dispute the number of people playing going down, like Amnesia and Super Meet boy.

corn_fest

speculawyer said:
It says auxiliary power right there on the page. Potato power . . . just like the TF2 hat.

Potato_hat_obtain.jpg
Yes, but if you look at the graphs, the rate of change has been constant even as the number of potatoes has more than quadrupled. I don't have the link, but it's around here somewhere.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Valve essentially just trolled the gaming community and made them pay for the privilege.

Steam lets people download stuff right to their PC, so for their most anticipated game of 2011 they release it 7 hours later than Brick and Mortar stores doing midnight releases. Then then give their fans the honor of paying another $40 for a game pack that they have to play all weekend if they want to have the game at the same time as those people getting it at Brick and Mortar stores.

ie26E.png

Way to go Gabe. He's a guy who does the thing right.

TheExodu5 said:
I think the overall growth rate is set in stone and is simply distributed to each game in accordance to the player ratios.

That theory doesn't fit with Killing Floor taking forever but always having the most players

TheExodu5

Banned
Nappuccino said:
That theory doesn't fit with Killing Floor taking forever but always having the most players

Yes it does. The growth rate has nothing to do with the overall CPU cycles needed for each bar. Some bars are, in fact, longer than others.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow, it's as if the bars are progressing even slower than before now. I wonder if people really have thrown in the towel completely.

GG Valve. Months later we're probably hear about how this ARG could've been handled better, and there will be a multipage article about it somewhere.

Jenga

Banned
valve

now is the time

besides maybe audiosurf none of these will be completed before the game actually releases

now is the time

now is the time

Hylian7

DrForester said:
Valve essentially just trolled the gaming community and made them pay for the privilege.

Steam lets people download stuff right to their PC, so for their most anticipated game of 2011 they release it 7 hours later than Brick and Mortar stores doing midnight releases. Then then give their fans the honor of paying another $40 for a game pack that they have to play all weekend if they want to have the game at the same time as those people getting it at Brick and Mortar stores.

http://i.imgur.com/ie26E.png

Way to go Gabe. He's a guy who does the thing right.
I thought if you buy hard copies of Steam games, they need to be activated on Steam and don't work until all of the Steam copies unlock, so if a retailer leaked the PC version and you went and bought, you wouldn't be able to play it yet. That is how it works, right? I've never bought a Steam game at retail before.

If that's the case, then only the console players would get it before us.

TheExodu5 said:
Yes it does. The growth rate has nothing to do with the overall CPU cycles needed for each bar. Some bars are, in fact, longer than others.

Hmm... maybe. I still highly doubt it. I would have liked to see how long this would have taken more people knew about it/ were participating. I have a feeling the bars could have filled much faster than if more than 15,000 people were playing at once.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nappuccino said:
Hmm... maybe. I still highly doubt it. I would have liked to see how long this would have taken more people knew about it/ were participating. I have a feeling the bars could have filled much faster than if more than 15,000 people were playing at once.

Again:

p2.png

Hylian7 said:
I thought if you buy hard copies of Steam games, they need to be activated on Steam and don't work until all of the Steam copies unlock, so if a retailer leaked the PC version and you went and bought, you wouldn't be able to play it yet. That is how it works, right? I've never bought a Steam game at retail before.

If that's the case, then only the console players would get it before us.

Other people have said that's not how it works. Retail PC copies unlock when you install them.

WEGGLES

Jenga said:
valve

now is the time

besides maybe audiosurf none of these will be completed before the game actually releases

now is the time

now is the time
The time was about 4 hours after the previous timer.....

I'm calling it right now. The game will unlock at midnight, and Valve will claim that the fans made it possible. So everyone will spend an hour un-encrypting, open the game, look at the menu, and close the game because you have to go bed.

TheExodu5 said:
Again:

http://www.thejayzone.com/pics/p2.png[/mg][/QUOTE]

I'm not blind. I've already said that it doesn't seem to be a 1:1 ratio and that they probably take samples of the user base every so often and add to the % complete accordingly.

hence my inertia metaphor

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm essentially at two places now:

1) Overclocking will begin at 500,000 potatoes, which should be 5 to 7 hours from now. At that point, things will be sped up and the game will unlock a few hours after. I anticipate a launch of 7 or 8 on Monday night (EST) in this scenario.

Now, the more plausible one:

2) We get the game at Midnight on Tuesday. My reasoning for this: I know a person that writes for a blog and has completed the main campaign. He is currently NDA'd until Tuesday. Why would Valve NDA a game until a day after the general public gets it?

scogoth

Lasthope106 said:
I'm calling it right now. The game will unlock at midnight, and Valve will claim that the fans made it possible. So everyone will spend an hour un-encrypting, open the game, look at the menu, and close the game because you have to go bed.

For EST maybe. PST are lucky sob's.

TheExodu5

Banned
Lasthope106 said:

If it's midnight PST I won't have a chance to do even that. :(

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Lasthope106 said:
Not if you're in college or unemployed!

I am neither of those people.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
maniac-kun said:
but they are deleting like half the potatoes today.

I've been in this thread, over at the Wiki and in the Wiki IRC chat for the past two weeks and even I didn't know about the website. Somehow, I doubt "like half" of the ARG participants did.

And as I've said time and time again, I don't believe Valve will go after those who unlocked their potatoes in-game. They made absolutely no mention or suggestion of such in the SPUF thread; it was specifically about the website.

corn_fest said:
I am aware. I just don't believe it. It's too late for it to really matter, anyway.

Are we really this cynical now? "Valve didn't release the game on Friday as we had assumed, so now we're going to take everything they say with a grain of salt!"

TheExodu5

Banned
maniac-kun said:
but they are deleting like half the potatoes today.

They've said that they wouldn't touch the Glados potato counter.

JaseC said:
Are we really this cynical now? "Valve didn't release the game on Friday as we had assumed, so now we're going to take everything they say with a grain of salt!"

Pretty much. I've always, always taken Valve estimates with a huge grain of salt. I just let the prospect of an early launch get the better of me. I should have known it would not be immune to the effects of Valve Time.

corn_fest

JaseC said:
The guy who talked about the overclock was Jeep, right? The same guy who said that "nothing other than G@H was relevant" only to become "infected" and drop off the face of the earth. Yeah, I'm taking what he says with a heavy dose of salt.

corn_fest said:
The guy who talked about the overclock was Jeep, right? The same guy who said that "nothing other than G@H was relevant" only to become "infected" and drop off the face of the earth. Yeah, I'm taking what he says with a heavy dose of salt.

Who is the Jeep guy?

JaseC

TheExodu5 said:
Pretty much. I've always, always taken Valve estimates with a huge grain of salt. I just let the prospect of an early launch get the better of me. I should have known it would not be immune to the effects of Valve Time.

Cynicism towards their release dates is unavoidable given Valve Time, but there's a difference between that and being cynical of everything they say because an assumption on our part didn't come to fruition.

corn_fest said:

Or he said that because he was already compromised.

DUN DUN DUNNN.

JaseC said:
Cynicism towards their release dates is unavoidable given Valve Time, but there's a difference between that and being cynical of everything they say because an assumption on our part didn't come to fruition.

exactly

TheExodu5

Banned
JaseC said:

We're being cynical when it comes to the overclocking thing, because we know that it really doesn't matter. It really, really doesn't matter. This game is releasing at midnight tomorrow regardless of what happens.

Quote me if you like. I'll happily eat some crow if I'm wrong.

Goon Boon

Banned
Campster said:
I thought they had already done their wiping of 'illicit' potatoes?
They said they wouldn't remove them from the potato count, but that if they re-earned the potatoes it wouldn't cause them to increase the total anymore.

classicdms

Neo Member
Well, I quit. I'll see everyone on Monday night, waiting impatiently for the unlock. Gonna turn my computer off for the first time in 3 days.

It's been a grind.

I think the lesson to be learned from all of this is....
Never call Gabe fat.
Not only is EP3 delayed beyond recovery, he got us back big time with this ARG. AND got us to spend more money.
Touche, Gabe.

P.S. I never called you fat for the record.

JaseC

Nappuccino said:
Did they change their mind then?

No. All they originally said is that they'll be removing the potatoes from the profiles of those who cheated, and it's only recently that they clarified what that means for the G@H counter.

Because of what they said initially - or rather, didn't say - any speculation about what those removed potatoes would do to the counter prior to Valve's clarification was simply that: speculation.

Ozone

EmCeeGramr said:
Clearly Valve should have never announced Portal 2 and left it to be a surprise at the end of an ARG.
No, the real end of the ARG is Episode 3.

This is an ARG within the Half-Life ARG.

Top Bottom