• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Drkirby said:
*Wakes up*

:eek: The Potato Over Drive is true!

is it? It's still like 10ish hours away and the counter was on 10ish hours before this supposed "overdrive" started,

LM4sure

Banned
so did the potatoes start counting down when it hit a certain number? or was it supposed to start counting down when it hit a certain time?

Woffls

OHMYGOD things are happening!!

I take it this was posted already, but might as well put it on a new page.
10:50 - Engaging starch-based power cells
11:00 - Reboot safety test protocol initiated...
11:00 - Relaxation chamber locks released...
11:00 - Involuntary hazard mitigation associates have assumed testing positions...
11:00 - Pre-release lethality assessment initiated...

Nabs

Corky said:
is it? It's still like 10ish hours away and the counter was on 10ish hours before this supposed "overdrive" started,
I think KF has jumped about 4%, AS about 5, and The Ball about 8-9%.

Doopliss

If Active Test Subjects refers to people able to play the game before everyone else... somehow I don't think that's going to appease the disillusioned ARG followers.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
So the game is going to release "early" in the middle of the damn night when I'm asleep and I'll play it Tuesday night just like I was always going to. Never eating a potato again.

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, we're pretty sure its the nine guys who were "abducted"

It had to do with

Code:
11:00 - Reboot safety test protocol initiated...
11:00 - Relaxation chamber locks released...
11:00 - Involuntary hazard mitigation associates have assumed testing positions...
11:00 - Pre-release lethality assessment initiated...

ArjanN

TheExodu5 said:
D) It doesn't matter what we would have done up until this point, Valve would have fudged the math to launch the game precisely when they had planned to launch it.

I think it probably did make a difference, but only in a matter of hours, not days like people assumed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Newest baseless theory: When every game goes over 50% (pretty much Amnesia left) the countdown will accelerate again.

please

Nabs

Doopliss said:
If Active Test Subjects refers to people able to play the game before everyone else... somehow I don't think that's going to appease the disillusioned ARG followers.
Those are the people abducted by Valve. Now they are eating muffins and potatoes and shit.

ArjanN

Doopliss said:

It's referring to the nine people who were most active in the ARG.

enzo_gt said:
Newest baseless theory: When every game goes over 50% (pretty much Amnesia left) the countdown will accelerate again.

please
Why would you want the potato countdown to accelerate? That's the amount of time the CPUs are overclocked for.

Oreoleo

CrookedRain said:
Why would you want the potato countdown to accelerate? That's the amount of time the CPUs are overclocked for.

Maybe the potatoes that have been 'consumed' are the ones providing the overclocking hmmm?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
CrookedRain said:
Right now, it's looking as it's the amount of time until projected launch anyways. Perhaps if they down faster, CPUs are overclocked at a higher/faster rate.

syoaran

The 9 test subjects get killed by Glados thanks to the potato power, like that bit in MGS3 where you have
to shoot the Boss to progress
, we have to kill the test subjects to get Portal 2.

Mikey Jr.

Guys, the countdown of the potatoes means nothing. Its just to show that Glados has begun to use them for overclocking the bars.

So for 12 hours til it gets to 0, we have an 12 hours for overclocking. If we only had 200k potatoes, we'd only have 6 hours for overclocking.

Killing floor definitely looks faster, I won't lie.

Yeef

I am going to work now.

With any luck when i return I'll be able to play Portal 2.

but that probably won't be the case. So in the end this was all pointless :D

Orellio said:
But you're arguing against them being consumed faster. I am confuss.
Okay, maybe we are confusing each other here. Supposedly it is doubling the rate at which the bars are filling, but the overclock is only active until the potatoes run out.

Belfast

Hitmonchan107 said:
I can't quite catch it to print screen it, but every now and then the screen will flash and the potato count jumps down.

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry. It might be my Internet or God knows what.

But this is the second time it's happened.

And if this is old, I'm sorry. This thread is going by crazy fast.

Yeah, I've been playing Audiosurf with the Steam window up in the background. It has refreshed itself a couple of times, but I was in the middle of a song, unable to determine what it meant.

Baha

Mikey Jr. said:
Guys, the countdown of the potatoes means nothing. Its just to show that Glados has begun to use them for overclocking the bars.

So for 12 hours til it gets to 0, we have an 12 hours for overclocking. If we only had 200k potatoes, we'd only have 6 hours for overclocking.

Pretty much this. If the potatoes reaching zero meant the game released then that would render the bars we've been filling over the past 3 days useless. They're there to help speed up the bars and if we're lucky, get it released before midnight tonight.

Jenga

Banned
RobotNinjaHornets said:
breadmakesyoufat.gif
where's the humor

Mikey Jr. said:

The speed of the bars is going up so she's using the potatoes to overclock as she counts them. That should speed up the whole process.

Top Bottom