• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

shuyin_

Banned
At this point i'd say Zefah is a troll. He ignores other sides arguments and opinions, trying to convince anybody that his ideas are correct. I'd say don't bother...

Edit: i think i'm going to sleep. Have fun playing Portal 2 to those people that are up in 9 hours

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Nappuccino said:
Well, we're already getting it 7ish hours "early"

That's early.

What ? Getting a game the same fucking day it's supposed to come out somehow constitutes an early release?

Whatever I don't care anymore, sure Portal 2 is getting it's releasedate pushed forward.

In other news, Witcher 2 is delayed, from may 7th to may 7th .

Rainier

WEGGLES said:
I think the issue is bell would get rid of her address since it is tied to our bell service, no?

We called and asked and were told that the address would no longer be usable if we cancelled our sympatico service. How much of that is true, I don't know... but it immediately made my mom not want to switch.
Ya, then I can see that being a hassle with your older relatives.

Red

TheExodu5 said:
I'm sorry for being so blunt, you have to be incredibly naive if you think Valve set up some goal and that's the reason it hasn't yet launched. From the data we've seen, the overall completion rate has been constant and hasn't fluctuated at all with the variance in effort put in over the past few days. Furthermore, Valve said that this last "overclocked" portion would happen, and the time at which it is ending is making it clear that this whole thing is scripted.

You really should be able to see that...

It's obvious why they couldn't release it earlier as well: retailers.
I'm pretty sure those people arguing in favor of the bars are those who are either trolling or are blindly following Valve's lead. It's not worth arguing with them, especially as the point has been discussed to death repeatedly over the last few pages.

The only reason they can't understand is because they are making a conscious effort not to.

TheExodu5

Banned
Corky said:
What ? Getting a game the same fucking day it's supposed to come out somehow constitutes an early release?

Whatever I don't care anymore, sure Portal 2 is getting it's releasedate pushed forward.

In other news, Witcher 2 is delayed, from may 7th to may 7th .

Furthermore, the 7AM release time appears to have been arbitrary at this point. It may have only been in place to allow for this final marketing phase.

Xyrmellon

Um, at this point couldn't I walk to my Walmart at midnight (EST) and pick it up at the same time (or even earlier according to some estimations) that it gets released on Steam???

Ark

Corky said:

If Portal 2 was to release at 10am on a Tuesday, and it actually released at 8am on Tuesday, it's still an early release.

EDIT: Did anyone elses Steam just die?

shuyin_

Banned
Crunched said:
I'm pretty sure those people arguing in favor of the bars are those who are either trolling or are blindly following Valve's lead. It's not worth arguing with them, especially as the point has been discussed to death repeatedly over the last few pages.

The only reason they can't understand is because they are making a conscious effort not to.
I think they've been indoctrinated or something. No matter what the company makes them do, they're happy and perceive it as a good thing :D

That or they like to troll hard.

Nite to all Gaffers and have fun playing P2

kamspy

Xyrmellon said:
Um, at this point couldn't I walk to my Walmart at midnight (EST) and pick it up at the same time (or even earlier according to some estimations) that it gets released on Steam???

yep

Ark said:
If Portal 2 was to release at 10am on a Tuesday, and it actually released at 8am on Tuesday, it's still an early release.
An early release completely unworthy of weeks of hype and making us work our asses off when we didn't even have to.

Red

Xyrmellon said:
Yes.

Covfan

Xyrmellon said:
Yeah, but if it's the PC version you wouldn't be able to play it until the PC version is unlocked by steam.

Ark said:
No, if you are gonna be literal, that's an earlier release. Not an early release, do it right.

Oh man I'm having a difficult decision to make - to go to sleep now and risk waking up, potentially hours after releasing - or to stay up all night and watch the game unlock live.

I'm currently planning on staying up but I do not know what I will do to pass the time. I am looking for a Let's Play to watch. Any suggestions on what ones I should watch?

Corky

Ark said:

That's semantics and not an early release in the sense of what the actual term "early release" implies within the gaming industry.

edit : or what prophet steve said

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Flib said:
Why hasn't the ball moved in like forever....

Yeah the ARG IRC Guys have decided to switch to the game that needed the most help and let the others sort themselves out for now.

Rainier

Phantom Limbs said:
I used to work at a fire hydrant plant.
Couldn't park anywhere near the damn place.
My favorite Steven Wright joke is (paraphrasing)

I came home the other day to find I'd been robbed, with all my possessions replaced with an exact duplicate...

ashbash159 said:
Oh man I'm having a difficult decision to make - to go to sleep now and risk waking up, potentially hours after releasing - or to stay up all night and watch the game unlock live.
Just go to bed early. Maybe check with Zefah to see what time that would be.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Xyrmellon said:

Yes. However from the sounds of it the PC copy would still be locked on steam until they release/unlock it on steam.

If the original plan was 7am, allowing people to do stuff that theoretically makes the release come sooner, to be in line with Brick and Mortar stores, it would make me really think this was all pre-planned. The potatoes do nothing, the sack does nothing. It always would have gotten released at the same time.

Then again, maybe this bad will was intentional, because now valve can apologize by starting on Episode 3 :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
MrMister said:
Damn, you're clueless. Read up on the Investigation History page on the ARG Wiki.

I just did and they say this:

09:00: GaH small.png The countdown page now redirects to a countdown-page called GLaDOS@Home distributed computational grid status, confirming an early release of Portal 2 provided enough people log in to Potato Sack games. A current estimated completion time can be found with countdown aids from the community.

This is the page you were greeted with at the end of the countdown, right?

http://www.aperturescience.com/a/b/c/d/g/h/abcdgh/

I'm clueless?

Ark

Prophet Steve said:
No, if you are gonna be literal, that's an earlier release. Not an early release, do it right.

Sorry, I'll make sure to consult the thesaurus and dictionary next time.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Corky said:
That's semantics and not an early release in the sense of what the actual term "early release" implies within the gaming industry.

If a game gets leaked 3 hours before release you don't say "Oh it got leaked earlier!" Jesus people...think!

Corky

Ark said:
Sorry, I'll make sure to consult the thesaurus and dictionary next time.

Oh no you didn't! You're the one who insists of clamoring to this prospect of an "early" release.

Gandie

Backfoggen said:
Any estimations on when it'll release? If Valve doesn't pull a surprise early-early release while I'm asleep.

It's Valve after all. I can already see the Steam servers dying and Gabe delaying the release by a week.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
It rubbed us the wrong way when we realized that the reason for that lack of transparency was to mislead.

Fair enough. I guess I'm just not the type to get excited about ambiguous messages that can be interpreted in a variety of ways. If they were more transparent about this and said, Portal 2 will release as soon as X number is filled by playing these games which contribute to filling X in this way, I would have definitely participated in the game, at least until I realized a weekend release was probably not going to happen.

marrec

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
An early release completely unworthy of weeks of hype and making us work our asses off when we didn't even have to.
So you didn't have any fun at all doing the ARG? It's understandable if you didn't I would just like to know so that I can put your comments into perspective.

Baha

Cpus for Killing Floor just dropped from 9k to 7.6k, steam servers going down are actually hurting our progress now.

Corky said:

Potato Potato

Its the same damn thing, just not what you were expecting.

Ark

Kyaw said:
It's nearly 11PM here, so i wouldn't mind playing it now.

If it released now I wouldn't let myself sleep until I completed it, and I don't fancy an all-nighter :(

Corky said:
Oh no you didn't! You're the one who insists of clamoring to this prospect of an "early" release.

Oh yes I did! :O

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Baha said:
Cpus for Killing Floor just dropped from 9k to 7.6k, steam servers going down are actually hurting our progress now.
Valve's secret weapon against progress. All according to keikaku.

Jackl

TheExodu5 said:
Valve has not broken their contract with us, and therefore we are not allowed to be displeased with the end result.

I'm not that emo about it, but I do believe they spent a lot of good faith credit on this stunt. Much as I love Valve I'm feeling some cognitive dissonance here. Remind me to ignore the HL3 ARG thread in the future.

Oreoleo

Covfan said:
It's almost certain that we'll have to restart Steam to access the game when it's released isn't it?

I think that's usually how it works. At least once I've been up for an unlock and everyone goes "OMG ITS LIVE" and I'm all, "Ummm... no" and it's because you have to restart steam.

ashbash159 said:

I'm currently planning on staying up but I do not know what I will do to pass the time. I am looking for a Let's Play to watch. Any suggestions on what ones I should watch?

Go to sleep. The timer is now at nine hours, so you could make for an excellent night sleep and wake to release.

Top Bottom