• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

FStop7

Banned
I can see why people are aggravated over the final phase of the ARG given its bizarre combination of brute force and utter ambiguity, but about the rest of the ARG - really? It seems like solving the puzzles was its own reward. At least you were accomplishing something. This brute force thing seems to have been largely meaningless in terms of both objectives and results.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
shuyin_ said:
At this point i'd say Zefah is a troll. He ignores other sides arguments and opinions, trying to convince anybody that his ideas are correct. I'd say don't bother...

Edit: i think i'm going to sleep. Have fun playing Portal 2 to those people that are up in 9 hours

You respond to my posts with name calling and sensationalism, and you don't even address my points or questions. Who's the troll, now? Anyway, point out any "side argument" I ignored.

You definitely should get some sleep. You seem very emotional about your "betrayal" by Valve.

Zefah said:
You respond to my posts with name calling and sensationalism, and you don't even address my points or questions. Who's the troll, now? Anyway, point out any "side argument" I ignored.

You definitely should get some sleep. You seem very emotional about your "betrayal" by Valve.
We had to go through a lot of trouble, got a lot of hints to get hyped over and the reward seems almost nonexistent while the community tried very hard.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Crunched said:
I'm pretty sure those people arguing in favor of the bars are those who are either trolling or are blindly following Valve's lead. It's not worth arguing with them, especially as the point has been discussed to death repeatedly over the last few pages.

The only reason they can't understand is because they are making a conscious effort not to.

Just to set the record straight, I think this whole thing is pretty stupid. I didn't participate in it at all because I don't like ambiguity, especially when it involves me me spending a great deal of my free time during a weekend.

However, regardless of how stupid this thing is, I think people who got invested in this and are now feeling betrayed (despite the fact that they were never promised anything and will still be getting an early release of Portal 2), are also stupid.

shuyin_

Banned
Zefah said:
Anyway, point out any "side argument" I ignored.
You said Valve din't hint at a friday release.
I said they hinted at a friday release with: "4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM" (this being the argument you ignored or just didn't feel adressing)
You ignored that and kept saying that they didn't hint at an early release, only invoking how the countdown wasn't meant for a friday release (though at that point everything seemed to indicate it).

Zefah said:
Who's the troll, now?
That would be you.

Red

FStop7 said:
I can see why people are aggravated over the final phase of the ARG given its bizarre combination of brute force and utter ambiguity, but about the rest of the ARG - really? It seems like solving the puzzles was its own reward. At least you were accomplishing something. This brute force thing seems to have been largely meaningless in terms of both objectives and results.
No one ever complained about the rest of it.

Backfoggen said:
Dude it IS based on your timezone. Lemme guess, 2 minutes to midnight where you're at?

2 minutes to midnight is where I'm always at

single11_2minutes_a_small.jpg

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
*timer is over*
*restarts steam*

*aaaand is off to bed*

Zomba13

Dunno if been posted but Leveraged (one of the nine infected/test subjects) is in the chat talking about the ARG.
Dougley as one of the initial chosen and was supposed to disappear after 24 hours but he didn't, he went rogue and continued the ARG madness on his own without Valve's say so.

Sibylus

Banned
Too many pages to catch up on, bleearghblargl!

fallengorn said:
I wouldn't go so far as to say we had no sway in how early it will release, but they stacked the odds against us.
Unintentional or otherwise (probably the latter), yeah. Seems like the bar completion and the timer will probably fall within an hour or two of each other (figured as much a day or so ago). Was partial to the "Valve screwed up and made this soul-crushingly difficult" theory, but with the final stretch in sight and the mystical potato drive turned on, the "Valve didn't want us playing this before Monday and made this soul-crushingly" theory is the most likely. Exodu suggested that the potato countdown and bars be turned on Sunday, and yeah, I would have preferred that with the potato pack stuff on the weekend.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Zomba13 said:
Dunno if been posted but Leveraged (one of the nine infected/test subjects) is in the chat talking about the ARG.
Dougley as one of the initial chosen and was supposed to disappear after 24 hours but he didn't, he went rogue and continued the ARG madness on his own without Valve's say so.

I'm sure he is extatic with the payoff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Prophet Steve said:
We had to go through a lot of trouble, got a lot of hints to get hyped over and the reward seems almost nonexistent while the community tried very hard.

You didn't have to go through anything. I'm excited for Portal 2, but I sure as hell wasn't going to spend time on something that I have no idea how much I, or anyone else, is actually able to affect.

I realize a lot of people spent time on this and are very angry because things didn't work out, but if you look at it objectively, you really have no one to blame but yourselves, especially since a good deal of the hype was a result of speculation from within the community.

I'll just be sad if this blows up in Valve's face and they have to apologize to people, because that will mean that Valve realized their fan base is full of irrational people, and that they will probably never do anything like this again.

Knox

The part that got me was http://valvearg.com/wiki/Emails_from_Gabe_Newell. Where it said "hidden message is "4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM"".
I mean, launch time = new time kinda sets an expectation, then the countdown was to that time and we got the bar instead. I can only speak for myself in saying I was optimistically expecting a Friday release, then afterwards I figured the bar would finish in a day, maybe by Sunday, but no.

I'm not saying that Valve "owes" us anything. Everyone is right in saying they never lied to us. I guess I would just call it mean. To get people's hopes up only to have them shot down. After the game comes out and it's fantastic no one will care about this anymore, but for now it's just an unnecessary bummer.

Can anyone post in this thread how much time was deducted in the end from the default boot timer, due to completing the computations. I'm off to bed and I'd like to know :) And when I wake up, I should be able to play some Portal 2 :D

Following the regular steam update timeline, the game was going to be released at 7PM (continental europe).

With the potato thing, the game will be release at 9AM.

I work from 9AM to 7PM. Nice...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sent said:

Some dude spent a lot of energy on the ARG -> horrible horrible payoff -> some dude who spent a lot of energy on the ARG might not be happy with the payoff.

?

Cartman86

Banned
Knox said:
The part that got me was http://valvearg.com/wiki/Emails_from_Gabe_Newell. Where it said "hidden message is "4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM"".
I mean, launch time = new time kinda sets an expectation, then the countdown was to that time and we got the bar instead. I can only speak for myself in saying I was optimistically expecting a Friday release, then afterwards I figured the bar would finish in a day, maybe by Sunday, but no.

I'm not saying that Valve "owes" us anything. Everyone is right in saying they never lied to us. I guess I would just call it mean. To get people's hopes up only to have them shot down. After the game comes out and it's fantastic no one will care about this anymore, but for now it's just an unnecessary bummer.

When that date ends up being the start of a part of the ARG that requires a large amount of the public I would say it's okay that wasn't the release date. If it was just another set of things ARG people would have to figure out I would understand the anger more.

Top Bottom