• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Knox

Cartman86 said:
When that date ends up being the start of a part of the ARG that requires a large amount of the public I would say it's okay that wasn't the release date. If it was just another set of things ARG people would have to figure out I would understand the anger more.
If it was just the Friday date by itself it would have been fine, that could mean anything. But equating Friday with the launch day heavily hints at an early launch.

IceMarker

Apparently, going by recently posted ARG Wiki news and the chat with Leveraged that I was in as well as Zomb: Alot of stuff on the Wiki was passed as real when it was in face Red Herrings. Dougley and "The Watcher" being a major contributor. The encrypted RAR with the C.J. message is fake.

EDIT: Chat log with Zomba and I in it is up on Wiki: http://pastebin.com/eLnXHrbj

shuyin_

Banned
Zefah said:
You didn't have to go through anything. I'm excited for Portal 2, but I sure as hell wasn't going to spend time on something that I have no idea how much I, or anyone else, is actually able to affect.

I'll just be sad if this blows up in Valve's face and they have to apologize to people, because that will mean that Valve realized their fan base is full of irrational people, and that they will probably never do anything like this again.
You want them to do something like this again, even though you admitted you didn't participate because you weren't willing to invest time in it knowing it might be for nothing? Are you incredibly stupid or simply mental? I am serious, you shouldn't even be banned - you're not trolling; you should have a medical exam...there's too much cognitive dissonance for you to be sane :/

Also lol at the problem being the "irrational" fan base and not how Valve handled the ARG end phase.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
shuyin_ said:
You said Valve din't hint at a friday release.
I said they hinted at a friday release with: "4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM" (this being the argument you ignored or just didn't feel adressing)
You ignored that and kept saying that they didn't hint at an early release, only invoking how the countdown wasn't meant for a friday release (though at that point everything seemed to indicate it).

That would be you.

Well, I certainly missed that.

I checked the Valve ARG wiki for the background and that is pretty damning.

pix

Was this posted here? Not sure if fake or real.

http://twitpic.com/4mi8yc

Basically its the Valve Complete pack on steam + portal 2. Look at the pack name though. Potato Champions Comp!!!?

Everyone who got all 36 potatos gets it?!!!

Original-Blue

Neo Member
So is it expected to release in 8:48 as the timer says still?

To be honest I think its probably going to be done before then considering te bars are gonna all fill up.

Fuck. I'm going to be at work when it releases! Gah!!

To call in sick or not...

syoaran

Dmax3901 said:
It's a great day to be Australian, looking at a nice, relaxed afternoon/evening release :D

Here in London, its a normal work day wake up call, and then a call to work saying I can't come in, before playing Portal 2 all day.

XeroSauce

pix said:

Basically its the Valve Complete pack on steam + portal 2. Look at the pack name though. Potato Champions Comp!!!?

Link is broke.

EDIT: Never mind. Looks strange. What if that's just the name of the Portal 2 purchase?

pix said:

Holy shit if true, I was thinking a free copy of Portal 2 for all the golden potato people was wishing too hard.

TheExodu5

Banned
Original-Blue said:
So is it expected to release in 8:48 as the timer says still?

To be honest I think its probably going to be done before then considering te bars are gonna all fill up.

Fuck. I'm going to be at work when it releases! Gah!!

To call in sick or not...
Sometime in between 12AM EST and 12AM PST.

(Just a guess)

QuantumBro said:
Holy shit if true, I was thinking a free copy of Portal 2 for all the golden potato people was wishing too hard.
But most people with a golden potato will already have Portal 2, and most of the Valve games too.

Nabs

pix said:

nine.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
shuyin_ said:
You want them to do something like this again, even though you admitted you didn't participate because you weren't willing to invest time in it knowing it might be for nothing? Are you incredibly stupid or simply mental? I am serious, you shouldn't even be banned - you're not trolling; you should have a medical exam...there's too much cognitive dissonance for you to be sane :/

Also lol at the problem being the "irrational" fan base and not how Valve handled the ARG end phase.

I think it's cool that they are promoting these indie games and getting people to play them. The ARG leading up to this final brute force event was also quite cool. I enjoyed a good deal of the content that got patched into the potato sack games that I already owned.

There's no cognitive dissonance going on at all. I took what Valve said at face value and didn't set myself up for disappointment like some of you. I enjoyed the potato content and reading about some of the mysteries that got solved. Portal 2 is still probably coming out early, and that's cool, too. However, I sure as hell didn't participate in the final phase with its super-ambiguous guidelines.

It's the people, like yourself, who are being extremely sensational and crying betrayal who are going to prevent events like this from happening again and I think that's unfortunate. Valve certainly could have made this last even better, but overall, I think the event was pretty cool.

pix said:

But I still need two potatoes ffs. Damn Audiosurf one.

EDIT: To be clear, I don't think this will be the reward. I'm hoping for something though, even when it is only the golden potato on my profile. Or a tf2 hat.

Oreoleo

darkpaladinmfc said:
But most people with a golden potato will already have Portal 2, and most of the Valve games too.

IIRC your credit card isn't charged until the game is unlocked, so if you already preordered presumably this would just override it.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
That'd be a shit prize for the people who got 36, surely the 36ers are the kinds of people who already have all the Valve games?

NIN90

GUYS I got a real hot scoop from a trusted source on the release of Portal 2.
It's gonna release within the next 9 hours!!

Cartman86

Banned
lol at chat with Leveraged where he says the 9 (10?) were contacted and basically pinky swore to go dark and allow Valve to hack accounts etc. One guy Dougley decided to not do this so he wasn't invited to Valve :( He's the guy it seems who posted what seemed like a borealis picture.

Zomba13

pix said:

I damn well hope that isn't the prize/reward. I already own every Valve game and bought/pre-ordered Portal 2.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Orellio said:
IIRC your credit card isn't charged until the game is unlocked, so if you already preordered presumably this would just override it.
Won't work for those who received the game as a gift.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
So I worked out how long it'll take the potatoes to count down at this rate - approx 8 hours...

8 hours until release is pretty much exactly 5:00pm here. Oh how glorious tonight shall be :D

shuyin_

Banned
Zefah said:
I think it's cool that they are promoting these indie games and getting people to play them. The ARG leading up to this final brute force event was also quite cool. I enjoyed a good deal of the content that got patched into the potato sack games that I already owned.

There's no cognitive dissonance going on at all. I took what Valve said at face value and didn't set myself up for disappointment like some of you. I enjoyed the potato content and reading about some of the mysteries that got solved. Portal 2 is still probably coming out early, and that's cool, too. However, I sure as hell didn't participate in the final phase with its super-ambiguous guidelines.

It's the people, like yourself, who are being extremely sensational and crying betrayal who are going to prevent events like this from happening again and I think that's unfortunate. Valve certainly could have made this last even better, but overall, I think the event was pretty cool.
You keep saying how you enjoyed the ARG leading up to the final phase and you make an argument of it, which you use to convince us we have nothing to complain. Thus, i must point that nobody is complaining about that part of the ARG (in fact, if you would've read the thread you would've seen that many people praised it).

It seems to me that it's not clear to you that everybody is in fact complaining about the last part of the ARG.

Anyway, it's really time for bed; good night and have fun.

TheExodu5

Banned
Cindres said:
That'd be a shit prize for the people who got 36, surely the 36ers are the kinds of people who already have all the Valve games?
In which case it's still a great move by Valve. They'll get people buying into future events in hopes of getting such a reward.

Holy shit, the last few games are going to fill up quick and reduce the timer even more.

This will be out in a few hours at most, it would seem. Maybe midnight at the latest.

I am ready.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
The Ball's almost done. Will be interesting to see what follows it.

Though i'll be asleep.

Top Bottom