• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

I'm sure my sentiments have been stated many times before, but god damn I'm glad I didn't waste my time trying to collect potatoes. Is this game going to launch even one second earlier due to you guys' efforts?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lasthope106 said:
My friend and I did our part by playing Killing Floor. Come on you maggots! There are plenty of you who could be playing and instead are here on GAF. Go to KF, in between rounds you can open GAF and keep reading.

Dooooiiiiittt NOOOOuuuuuu!

For SCIENCE!
10 000 people are playing Killing Floor what the hell. What happened to Amnesia being the focus like a few hours ago, I think the wiki head is deliberately trolling us like that. :/

Salmonax

I came up with a visual representation of this CPU/potato business.

argh-1.jpg

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
enzo_gt said:
10 000 people are playing Killing Floor what the hell. What happened to Amnesia being the focus like a few hours ago, I think the wiki head is deliberately trolling us like that. :/

Putting the potato power to its best use, knocking down the hardest games first just in case it runs out before they finish.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
duderon said:
Putting the potato power to its best use, knocking down the hardest games first just in case it runs out before they finish.
How do they know which games are "harder" to complete the bar with?

Many people are seeing the end in sight, so they are starting to help out. Don't be left out of this once-in-a-lifetime chance to make me play Portal 2 before I go to bed tonight.

Come on GAF!

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
enzo_gt said:
How do they know which games are "harder" to complete the bar with?

How long the bars take to finish is based on how many people own the game. Killing Floor is the most popular so it takes the most CPU power to finish, where as Defense Grid can move along at a similar speed with much less CPUs.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sai-kun said:
Just kind of assumed, I think. KF has had >5000 people on it all weekend and look at it.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Probably some % calculations and projections to boot. Lol this is all so much more complicated than it should've been.
duderon said:
How long the bars take to finish is based on how many people own the game. Killing Floor is the most popular so it takes the most CPU power to finish, where as Defense Grid can move along at a similar speed with much less CPUs.
Or this. I see, thanks for the reply.

XeroSauce

I've got Killing Floor and RUSH left, PM if you'd like with your Steam ID.

I really hope Killing Floor takes like 2 hours off, that'd be fantastic.

Fox318

XeroSauce said:
I've got Killing Floor and RUSH left, PM if you'd like with your Steam ID.

I really hope Killing Floor takes like 2 hours off, that'd be fantastic.
If Portal 2 could be released in Two I'd be happy.

Cronee

[edit]
Sorry. Thread moving so fast I missed the mod's message.

On topic, I think this whole potato thing has been a very neat experience. I would love to see them do another event in the future such as this one.

XeroSauce

Original-Blue said:
Why is active test subjects = NINE?

It counts the "infected" players who are playing right now at Valve.

To the other posters: All games have been given out, sorry. Please don't post anymore pictures.

Vitet

I think all these bars are configured to be completed at the exact time of the official release date, all the Cpu's playing the games only fills some bars faster and slow the others.

It's the Ultimate Internet Trolling

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, steam wouldnt login because of connection errors. I started shitting myself. Rebooted my computer, all is wonderful again.

Sai-kun

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
of course, nobody can read a mod's directive on the same page to not continue XeroSauce's contest

Mr. Spinnington
Graduated Magna Cum Laude in Butt Sniffing
(Today, 06:42 PM)
Reply | Quote

Edit: Aw man, now my shitty post is at the top of a new page. Bahaha.

Content: I'm installing Killing Floor! I swear I'll help!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The thing i find funniest regarding this entire ARG is that we spent the past 4 days re-animating an evil character.

I would have found it interesting if from day 1 everyone turned around and said, Fuck that, I'm not bringing glados back to life and simply ignored all the games. Clearly we would still get the game on it's original release date but it would have been an interesting and hilarious message to valve.

Sai-kun said:
Mr. Spinnington
Graduated Magna Cum Laude in Butt Sniffing
(Today, 06:42 PM)
Reply | Quote

Edit: Aw man, now my shitty post is at the top of a new page. Bahaha.

Content: I'm installing Killing Floor! I swear I'll help!
please explain what my tag is representing to you

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Lasthope106 said:
How long till the games finish? Does anyone have an updated projection chart?

The site the tracks the progress per game gives the longest game as Amnesia at 7 hours at the current rate.

Even Killing floor is 4 hours from finishing, though, and that's the one with 10k people and a ton of effort behind it at the moment.

It's looking more and more like maybe a 12 AM PST launch.

XeroSauce said:
It counts the "infected" players who are playing right now at Valve.

To the other posters: All games have been given out, sorry. Please don't post anymore pictures.

your inbox is full - try again if possible.

Hylian7

Campster said:
The site the tracks the progress per game gives the longest game as Amnesia at 7 hours at the current rate.

Even Killing floor is 4 hours from finishing, though, and that's the one with 10k people and a ton of effort behind it at the moment.

http://pastebin.com/eLnXHrbj

Someone posted this a few pages ago. If Leveraged is to be believed, then it's coming at 9pm PST. I sure hope that's the case.

Blizzard

Banned
Campster said:
Hmm? It's scheduled for about 11 PM PST if nothing else finishes, and Super Meat Boy might get done. So it could be as "early" as around 10 PM PST.

Someone posted this a few pages ago. If Leveraged is to be believed, then it's coming at 9pm PST. I sure hope that's the case.
There's that midnight EST figure again! Coincidence?! ;p

I'll offer these once again since it's now or never to help out this thing get done.

I have two 3-day guest passes for Killing Floor. If interested quote this message first and then pm the e-mail linked to your Steam account.

Note: It is best if you have a fast internet connection to download the game - 1.5 GB.

Well, it's getting on for 1am here, so I'm going to grab a couple of hours' shut eye with SMB / Amnesia (woop!) idling, and hopefully be back in time for the end of GLaDOS' boot-up and the steam crashes and unlocking issues which will follow ¬_¬

Till then, have a good time killing, er, floors and stuff!

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Jenga said:
if KF is gonna take longer than the actual release to finish why not just pile on the easier ones?

It's not going to take longer than the actual release. It's going to be done in a few hours.

Campster said:

Midnight release, what a coincidence, some could even say the timer was rigged all along due to contractual obligations with retailers, but this is valve we are talking about, they wouldn't be capable of such elaborate ruse.

Top Bottom