• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Or....(baseless assumption) the potatoes will enter a face-melting overclock mode at sub-100k.

Who knows. It won't come out later than about 2 EST though.
Rather than a quick, surprising, progress-skipping unlock, I'm sure Valve would rather strain and lengthen out the anticipation as long as possible.

Evidence: this entire weekend.

Zombie James said:
That bookmarklet says over 11 hours left for Killing Floor...
Impossible, it's jumped tremendeously after overclocking. The past few days it got to maybe 40% but today alone it's gotten this far post-overclock.

NIN90

enzo_gt said:
Rather than a quick, surprising, progress-skipping unlock, I'm sure Valve would rather strain and lengthen out the anticipation as long as possible.

Evidence: this entire weekend.

So would you say Valve fucked us real good?

DarkKyo

enzo_gt said:
10 000 people are playing Killing Floor what the hell. What happened to Amnesia being the focus like a few hours ago, I think the wiki head is deliberately trolling us like that. :/
It takes a lot more for KF to progress it seems. They knew if they wanted to get KF done they'd have to start early in the overclocking progress.

Sai-kun

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
please explain what my tag is representing to you

I can't :( I had a joke and it was funny, and as I hit the Submit Reply button....I forgot it. And I can't edit it now because it's at the top of the page and it's too obvious.

Edit: Not to go too off-topic, but Evilore, is your avatar the main guy (Sanjuro) from Yojimbo? I just watched it for the first time yesterday. Great film.

Blizzard

Banned
So from start to finish, each game that finishes knocks off somewhere from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours so far. Averaging out, that's maybe 13 hours of time off the "projected" official timer, compared to 94 hours at the start.

Wouldn't it have been funny if the community had managed some way to complete the individual bars and the overall bar early on, and the projected timer only went down to like 50 hours left?

enzo_gt said:
Impossible, it's jumped tremendeously after overclocking. The past few days it got to maybe 40% but today alone it's gotten this far post-overclock.

Well, that's what it's telling me:

UUc5r.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
EviLore said:
Okay, we can do it the time consuming way.
Hey EviLore, how many GAF servers do you have, and can you install Steam on them?

I'm just saying, in the strange absence of 500 errors on GAF recently, we could idle a few games on the servers AND have GAF back to usual for a few hours at the same time! :D

Zombie James said:
Well, that's what it's telling me:

http://i.imgur.com/UUc5r.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
I have a feeling whatever script your using isn't factoring in the overclocking so well.

Sai-kun

Banned
Blizzard said:
So from start to finish, each game that finishes knocks off somewhere from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours so far. Averaging out, that's maybe 13 hours of time off the "projected" official timer, compared to 94 hours at the start.

Wouldn't it have been funny if the community had managed some way to complete the individual bars and the overall bar early on, and the projected timer only went down to like 50 hours left?

If you go to the top of the GLaDOSTextual output, you can see the original base time. It says there's 13:55 hours left until the default launch. And we have 6:07 hours left so we cut out about 8 hours.

Blizzard said:
Well the cynical answer to this is that either the rate at which the bars are filled is scaled to make sure they never fill up too quickly. Or they are set on a timer that no matter what the users did the rate at which they filled would never be affected.

Ultrabum

enzo_gt said:
Hey EviLore, how many GAF servers do you have, and can you install Steam on them?

I'm just saying, in the strange absence of 500 errors on GAF recently, we could idle a few games on the servers AND have GAF back to usual for a few hours at the same time! :D

Wouldn't you have to buy the games multiple times to do that? If your looking for computing power, I can run a game if someone wants to give it to me lol.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TheExodu5 said:
I think this went over my head...unless you were mocking those that are still contributing to the effort.

People were continuing to spam the thread re: that contest.

Sibylus

Banned
Blizzard said:

Theoretically, launch would have been immediate, but there were simply too many bars and not enough time to achieve such so far in advance (and lacking the potato voodoo, would have been at the old trudging rate).

manhack

I'll be picking mine up tomorrow after work.

If I didn't have to work I would of picked it up at Gamestop midnight launch party tonight. (I preordered it there because I had some in-store credit).

I would definitely agree with the theory that the end result of this ARG was to ensure everyone would be able to access Portal 2 for the midnight launches across the US and not a moment before.

At this point it is not in Valve's interest to mess with Gamestop when it comes to early release on Steam.

Especially until console games are available on Steam or until Impulse becomes a threat.

The game prediction times aren't accurate at all because it's just using the percentage rate per hour over the whole event to calculate the times. Don't bother with those.

KScorp

At the rate they're going, we should be able to complete them all if I'm not overestimating their speeds. Too bad we have no clue how much time each game gives.

If Killing Floor gives over 1.5 hours, that would be amazing at this point.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ugh.. this is such a weird situation. They're all so close, but will still all probably take over an hour or two to complete. So it's likely we'll get a reduction in time.. a long time from now, all at once. I think we may get it in 4 hours from now. /conservativeassumption

clip

Going to bed early tonight, going to set my alarm to get in a couple of hours playtime before work.

I'll see you gentlemen on the other side.

Enjoy!!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
KScorp said:
At the rate they're going, we should be able to complete them all if I'm not overestimating their speeds. Too bad we have no clue how much time each game gives.

If Killing Floor gives over 1.5 hours, that would be amazing at this point.
I would be surprised if Killing Floor finishes with that much time available to take off the clock.

XeroSauce

jdogmoney said:
Forgive me if this has been answered, but...why are the potatoes going down?

They are acting as "auxiliary" power and are boosting the game bars to meet their goals faster. Once we run out of potatoes, we're back to the old rate of progress again, which would SUCK.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
jdogmoney said:
Forgive me if this has been answered, but...why are the potatoes going down?
Gabe is eating them as a side to his bitter tears soup from fans.

They help make the bars/CPU usage go faster towards completion and a (relatively) earlier release of Portal 2.

XeroSauce said:
They are acting as "auxiliary" power and are boosting the game bars to meet their goals faster. Once we run out of potatoes, we're back to the old rate of progress again, which would SUCK.

Judging by the graphs, i think we'll get the game before the potatoes run out. We shall see though.

edit: completion went up roughly 10% for 1/2 the potatoes. We have less 10% left to finish the bars.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
The timer is based on when the red bars will finish, so when the red bars are filled the timer should read 00:00:00

Sibylus

Banned
Potato count below 200,000. Not much time left.

duderon said:
The timer is based on when the red bars will finish, so when the red bars are filled the timer should read 00:00:00
No, the timer is entirely separate (aside from the bonus hours knocked off by filling them). The global bar is the average of all of the game bars.

Mudkips

Banned
My rough calculations using the latest rates put it at just after 7 PM PDT.
On the other hand, my PS3 copy from Amazon is apparently at my doorstep awaiting my arrival.

duderon said:

Yeah, the timer counts down actual seconds. When a bar fills 30min to 1.5hours gets removed from it.

When all bars fill we (should) see portal 2 unlock instantly.

Top Bottom