• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
XeroSauce said:
We have what, another 4-5 hours of potato time left?

On average we're moving 700 Potatoes a minute, and with 197000 potatoes left that's 4.69 hours. Give or take.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I still think the most reasonable explanation for all this is that Valve intended to release it earlier, but retailers (gamestop) flipped their shit and demanded Valve stick to their own release date as to not cause retailers to lose their precious preorders. Valve probably had this last phase all designed and completed and decided to just modify it until it was unachievable until midnight, when miraculously we will just happen to unlock the game due to "our efforts". Then again, if it comes out in 2 hours or so I'll be happy to eat some crow, and by eat some crow I mean play Portal 2.

Blizzard

Banned
BuddhaRockstar said:
I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I still think the most reasonable explanation for all this is that Valve intended to release it earlier, but retailers (gamestop) flipped their shit and demanded Valve stick to their own release date as to not cause retailers to lose their precious preorders. Valve probably had this last phase all designed and completed and decided to just modify it until it was unachievable until midnight, when miraculously we will just happen to unlock the game due to "our efforts". Then again, if it comes out in 2 hours or so I'll be happy to eat some crow, and by eat some crow I mean play Portal 2.
Maybe GAMESTOP knocked over some magazine racks. (your theory seems accurate, and it's hard for me to imagine these remaining bars finishing much before midnight EST at the earliest, as slow as they're going)

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Botolf said:
Potato count below 200,000. Not much time left.

No, the timer is entirely separate (aside from the bonus hours knocked off by filling them). The global bar is the average of all of the game bars.

From my understanding the timer is estimating when the global bar will finish without the bonuses from the games that haven't been finished. When you factor in the bonuses for the remaining games the timer should coincide with when the last game finishes. That's my theory, anyway.

duderon said:
From my understanding the timer is estimating when the global bar will finish without the bonuses from the games that haven't been finished. When you factor in the bonuses for the remaining games the timer should coincide with when the last game finishes. That's my theory, anyway.

Nope

XeroSauce

BuddhaRockstar said:

It's their game, they publish, EA just handles distributors. I doubt GAMESTOP of all people persuaded Valve to change an entire ARG ending so they could have their stupid yellow cages.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
EviLore said:
Four, currently. 40 Xeon cores, 60GB RAM, RAID 10, etc.

No ;b
But can it run Crysis on Max!

I wish there was a "new Crysis" in terms of aiming for hardware that isn't on the market yet so the joke could be more up to date :/

So basically this was all just a ruse to get people to buy more stuff on Steam and spread the word about Portal 2? Wow.
Likely, but I may also get a Valve Complete Pack out of this if the rumor is true.

Weenerz

Banned
Chinner said:
heres the thing; if this is the arg for portal 2, what the hell are we gonna get for hl3? lunar writing?

Well, we definitely aren't getting a chance to release it early, the outcry from this has been horrible. What the current time left for us east coasters? I'm stuck at work and I can't check.

Chinner said:
heres the thing; if this is the arg for portal 2, what the hell are we gonna get for hl3? lunar writing?

They'll actually transport us all into a totalitarian future and give us water with memory inhibitors.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Chinner said:
Have you ever the back of the moon!? I think not! Dun Dun Dun.

epmode

Fuck retailers. Really.

I'd like em gone for good but I figure that Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo-run as our only option for consoles would be even worse than things are now.

<3 PCs <3

Sibylus

Banned
duderon said:
The timer isn't an estimate, it's ticked down at an unwaveringly constant rate since Friday, and is simply the scheduled time minus the bonus hours we get for completing a game's bar. It can't tell us anything about when we'll complete all of them.

TheExodu5

Banned
Weenerz said:
Well, we definitely aren't getting a chance to release it early, the outcry from this has been horrible. What the current time left for us east coasters? I'm stuck at work and I can't check.
We'll just get a normal midnight release, instead of a midnight release disguised as an early release. No difference.

Ummm wow? Something was just added to the registry that those of you who have completed getting every potato may be interested in...

Portal 2- Potato Champions Complete
What is so interesting about that? Well, its only the entire Valve complete pack including Portal 2

:O

I wonder what the combined efforts of thousands upon thousands of intelligent people from around the world working together towards a common goal could have achieved, if it wasn't used for collecting virtual potatoes to get a computer game released a few hours early.

epmode

LovingSteam said:
What is so interesting about that? Well, its only the entire Valve complete pack including Portal 2
Which would be AWESOME if 99% of the lunatics who got 36 potatoes didn't already own it. Myself included.

edit: Oh, I guess I don't own Portal 2 yet. I guess I could just return the PS3 version. If that rumor pans out. Which it won't.

edit edit: NEVERMIND, it's just for the 9 chosen people, as mentioned below.

XeroSauce

LovingSteam said:
Ummm wow? Something was just added to the registry that those of you who have completed getting every potato may be interested in...

Posted before, and also posted before that anyone with the time to get all 36 probably has the entire Valve pack anyways.

Blizzard

Banned
LovingSteam said:

That was mentioned earlier, and I think one of the 9 people who got invited to Valve (and who are playing right now presumably) said that they were described as "champions" of the ARG.

They probably also have the Valve games already, but whatevers!

Hayvic

Harry_Tequila said:
I wonder what the combined efforts of thousands upon thousands of intelligent people from around the world working together towards a common goal could have achieved, if it wasn't used for collecting potatoes to get a computer game released a few hours early.

Exact thing my brother said when I tried to explain the ARG to him. Man, we could have cured AIDS :(

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Nappuccino said:
you said two very different things in each post.

The global bar/timer correlation seems wrong, now that I think about it. I still think the bonuses will take off enough time to sync the last game with the timer running out.

ManeKast

So since this just got the green light for release in Au at Jbhifi and EBgames (pc and ps3) any chance for an early release on PC now, despite the ARG? Kinda wish I could go get it now, retail (and might).

Harry_Tequila said:
I wonder what the combined efforts of thousands upon thousands of intelligent people from around the world working together towards a common goal could have achieved, if it wasn't used for collecting virtual potatoes to get a computer game released a few hours early.
been mentioned before that it would have been nice to see a network effort doled out to folding or something useful than idling steam games

the boosted playtime will really warp the realistic numbers for some of those titles

Baha

LovingSteam said:

If that was a reward for getting all 36 potatoes I would still be disappointed. I mean, I already own all of those games atm :(

Sibylus

Banned
duderon said:
The global bar/timer correlation seems wrong, now that I think about it. I still think the bonuses will take off enough time to sync the last game with the timer running out.
It's certainly getting so late in the game that we may only gain a little time by winning. But true convergence is exceedingly improbable, we'll either gain a little time by completing the games or lose and get Portal 2 when the timer runs out.

Yes, finally have all the potatoes. Gave me a lot of problems but finally. Now secretly hoping for some kind of reward (Valve pack seems too much, but so awesome).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Baha said:
If that was a reward for getting all 36 potatoes I would still be disappointed. I mean, I already own all of those games atm :(
Maybe it is only PART OF the reward!

Huge Lavage Gift Packages for all Gold Potatoes Owners! Valve Complete Catalog, Dota 2 for free, Golden Wrenches and every Portal 2 Bot Skin, Exclusive TF2 hats along with reissues of all the Promotional TF2 hats to date, include Hat of Wealth and Max's Head, and a Vacation to Seattle Washington to play Test Episode 3 of Half Life 2~! And a token 1 share in Valve!

Top Bottom