• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Salmonax said:
They have to ensure that golden potato folks get an actually significant amount of lead time. They waited too long to unlock them.

There are more than 500 Golden Potato folks. Not all of them will be playing the game before the timer hits zero. So far the only people playing the game are friends of either dinosaur or infected people.

Emitan

Sew said:
Seems like there are a lot of people who have already decided exactly how this works and what is going to happen, and are throwing tantrums based on their assumptions.
AMBSO.png

So his lower body is just a hand holding a pipe? Awesome.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Crunched said:
So to those of you who were questioning a midnight EST release, saying the whole thing wasn't rigged... where are you now?
yeah that's pretty messed up.

I admit, I thought it wasn't rigged. But hey, it turns out, yep.

Valve, THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO DO THINGS. You either bring a game out early for your fans, or you say "here's the release date, period." Don't tease everyone and claim "oh, we MIGHT release it early if you PLAY HARD ENOUGH" and then rig everything so that you're still releasing exactly when you planned anyway. If you want to avoid pissing off Gamestop so badly, then just say "here's when the game is coming out."

This right here? It's a disservice to the fans, it makes you look bad, and it makes the Potato Pack games and developers look bad for being a part of what is basically small-scale fraud.

Trickster said:
This whole thing is pretty funny to be honest. Valve is by many considered the best game developer there is. They have such a dedicated fanbase, and they choose to repay their fans dedication by pissing all over them.

I do feel bad for the fans that dedicated an entire weekend or more, playing random indie games. Just because they so desperately want to play portal 2.

and since 4/1 (I think?) playing the ARG

XeroSauce

Salmonax said:
They have to ensure that golden potato folks get an actually significant amount of lead time. They waited too long to unlock them. I'm guessing Defense Grid will do similarly little.

It's not Golden Potato players, there's like thousands of them. It's only friend of Dinosaur that can play atm.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Sew said:
Seems like there are a lot of people who have already decided exactly how this works and what is going to happen, and are throwing tantrums based on their assumptions.
lol, dude, every game up until now has taken off at least half an hour from the countdown. Then Super Meat Boy takes off an hour and a half. Then Killing Floor, which took exponentially more hours than any other game to complete, takes off five minutes. Pretty epic troll by Valve, but if it's not obvious by now the whole thing actually was fixed.

kamspy

sflufan said:
I wonder how the Amnesia developers would feel if they were the only game that was not completed? :eek:P

Proud. I tried to clear it from my backlog but after about 90 minutes my nerves were completely fried.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sew said:

I've been saying it was rigged and was going to unlock at midnight regardless of what people bought or played.

so far...

Icalledit.gif

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Htown said:
yeah that's pretty messed up.

I admit, I thought it wasn't rigged. But hey, it turns out, yep.

Valve, THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO DO THINGS. You either bring a game out early for your fans, or you say "here's the release date, period." Don't tease everyone and claim "oh, we MIGHT release it early if you PLAY HARD ENOUGH" and then rig everything so that you're still releasing exactly when you planned anyway. If you want to avoid pissing off Gamestop so badly, then just say "here's when the game is coming out."

This right here? It's a disservice to the fans, it makes you look bad, and it makes the Potato Pack games and developers look bad for being a part of what is basically small-scale fraud.
1st world problem

I think its cool there was an ARG at all. Its optional people probably enjoyed participating.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
So instead of paying attention this ARG for two weeks and leaving my computer idling for hours at a time, next time everyone just do a pre-order for a midnight launch at Best Buy or something, k?

dave is ok said:
So instead of paying attention this ARG for two weeks and leaving my computer idling for hours at a time, next time everyone just do a pre-order for a midnight launch at Best Buy or something, k?

And yet you still can't play the game if you do so. Problem, Dave? *trollface*

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
"Everybody with Golden Potatoes gets the Valve Complete Pack free"?

Haha, it's not even available in Australia thanks to L4D2. What do we get?

sflufan

Banned
Trickster said:
I do feel bad for the fans that dedicated an entire weekend or more, playing random indie games. Just because they so desperately want to play portal 2.

I agree.

Those poor souls are just like the Haitian and Japanese earthquake victims. We should set up a fund for them or something.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
You know, if we had a few hundred to maybe a thousand more people in Defense Grid it might actually finish before the 50 minutes is up.

Of course, it would also probably only shave off 2 minutes.

Firehead

Forkball said:
Being a vague attention whore is totally awesome.
Apologies!
Only uncover this if you want the secret menu thing to be spoiled:

BUY GESTURES
BUY SMALL FLAGS TO PUT ON YOUR BOT
BUY HATS
BUY COMPANION CUBE SKIN
BUY ALL FOR 35.99 (on sale)/ 85.64(off sale)

Top Bottom