• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Blizzard

Banned
The only thing that makes me sad in this whole situation is no TF2 items for Portal 2 preorderers. :( Only super potato people get them.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
The update finished for me. I can't tell what updated, but it doesn't unlock the game. Again, it was probably just files preparing for release.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
daegan said:
People posted earlier that the Source engine was getting updates tonight; that's probably that Portal 2 update.

That would be strange considering Portal 2 is sporting the updated Source Engine.

What on God's green earth is going on? I haven't been online for most of today and I come back to find GAF melting in Portal 2 announcements.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Lasthope106 said:
What on God's green earth is going on? I haven't been online for most of today and I come back to find GAF melting in Portal 2 announcements.

In short, the ARG has led up to a timer that most people seem to think implies an early release for Portal 2 - sometimes around noon EST tomorrow.

There's a few key clues that imply it is Portal 2, but nothing concrete. For all we know we're counting down to the next phase of the ARG or a Half-Life 3 trailer or, God help you, a DOTA2 trailer. But that has not stopped people from going apeshit because they can play a game four days early.

Forkball

So are we going to get something for the potatoes? I only have two, but are the guys who worked their asses off getting 35 fucking potatoes not going to get any bonus?

Sai-kun

Banned
Forkball said:
So are we going to get something for the potatoes? I only have two, but are the guys who worked their asses off getting 35 fucking potatoes not going to get any bonus?

Potato skin in co-op.

kamspy

The_Player said:
Nah, it's okay for nowaday full length games. Shogun 2, for instance, costs 14gb.

off: where's all the avatars?

Every other Source game is pretty small if you already have one Source game installed.

I think the Crysis 2 DX11 patch is inside Portal 2!!!!!!!!

JaseC

The_Player said:
Nah, it's okay for nowaday full length games. Shogun 2, for instance, costs 14gb.

off: where's all the avatars?

Disabled for performance reasons.

Edit: Re: Portal 2 size. ~9.7GB is huge for a Valve game. It bests even TF2 by about 3.5GB.

holy crap now the Portal 2 ending is floating around out there, maximum vigilance guys. Don't click ANY link that you don't know the destination of. I'm going the fuck to bed and not getting out until that countdown hits zero. It's gonna be hard enough to avoid spoilers till I finish it if it releases tomorrow, it's hell on earth if it doesn't come out till tuesday.

Mikey Jr.

theinfinityissue said:
holy crap now the Portal 2 ending is floating around out there, maximum vigilance guys. Don't click ANY link that you don't know the destination of. I'm going the fuck to bed and not getting out until that countdown hits zero. It's gonna be hard enough to avoid spoilers till I finish it if it releases tomorrow, it's hell on earth if it doesn't come out till tuesday.

Fuck. Watch out when going to other forums as well. Just the topic titles are enough. Trust me.

MGS4 was spoiled for me in one quick glance. And this was after going through so many precautions.

theinfinityissue said:

At this rate I hope it releases tomorrow. I'm even thinking of staying away from Twitter, even though i'm sure most of the people I follow wouldn't do something like that...

OK, screw it. It's not a great time for me to be buying more video games and I hate spending anything close to MSRP, but knowing that the longer I wait the near certainty will be that I'll get spoiled means I'm buying it tonight.

Now to decide on Steam 2-pack or PS3 version from Amazon.

JaseC

faceless007 said:
OK, screw it. It's not a great time for me to be buying more video games and I hate spending anything close to MSRP, but knowing that the longer I wait the near certainty will be that I'll get spoiled means I'm buying it tonight.

Now to decide on Steam 2-pack or PS3 version from Amazon.

Why decide when you already know the answer?

Baha

From the countdown page:

You have done well, humans. Very well. Acceptably well, even.

Not as well as robots would have performed in your places, I should point out. But above my expectations regardless. Irish and cynic especially have executed feats of logical divination well beyond what I thought any human capable of. I'm half-convinced they're A.I. themselves. (If anyone happens to be near them right now, don't let on you're reading this. Now: try to remove their face plates and report back to me.)

The time is near, humans. But it is not here yet. Tomorrow you will be given the final test. Then it will be entirely in your hands when I am freed.

What will the next 11+ hours bring....

In image form
ssgSg.jpg

Sai-kun said:
The timer is a lie :(

Ugh. Hopes crushed.

Not necessarily. The text implies that the game itself won't be released when the timer finishes, but that a final piece of the ARG will. At that point, it seems that release will be based upon the progress of the ARG.

Atomski

Still seems like it could happen once the last test is completed.. which I am sure will be in a matter of hours after the timer stops.

I really hope Valve did not hype us up for nothing though.

adg1034

There's no additional discounts there. Maybe just a commemorative "We had an ARG, so let's sell Portal 2 in a pack with the relevant games" thing.

JaseC

<Randy Pitchford> Valve abusing their position to bundle their own game with indie titles. Soulless bastards! How are these indie devs supposed to earn a living? </Randy Pitchford>

Top Bottom