• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Drkirby said:
Yeah, I am going to try and not be to excited, since the "Final Test" may not be Portal 2

header_586x192.jpg

Portal 2 is an indie game? News to me.

Strictly speaking, it is an indie game as it's developed by an independent and self-sufficient developer.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
JaseC said:
<Randy Pitchford> Valve abusing their position to bundle their own game with indie titles. Soulless bastards! How are these indie devs supposed to earn a living? </Randy Pitchford>
Has he said anything negative about Steam since they started using Steamworks for their titles?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Some people in the IRC are saying that this might mean Portal 2 is going to become part of the ARG.

It's very unlikely, but if it does, then I will have to promise Valve my firstborn son.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Yeah, I am going to try and not be to excited, since the "Final Test" may not be Portal 2

I think it's a pretty safe bet that when the countdown hits 0, the final stage of the ARG will begin and whenever we solve it, Portal 2 will be released.

EDIT: Avatar quoting is dead. :(

Salsa

MasterShotgun said:
It's very unlikely, but if it does, then I will have to promise Valve my firstborn son.

Then it would be Episode 3 confirmed.

Wich, in exchange, takes some of the edge and excitement of finding out what it is off

but at the same time, you know.. fuckin EPISODE 3

JaseC

Drkirby said:
So Can I call Super Mario Bros. an indie game now too?

If you want to. It's not an indie game as the term has come to mean these days, but it fits the technical definition.

This is really neither here nor there, though. Plus, for all we know somebody accidentally hit '4' instead of '3'. :p

Twig said:
Valve is technically an independent developer.

Nintendo is publicly traded, so it doesn't count.

Oh, I didn't know this. Disregard the above bits pertaining to Mario.

BY2K said:
Anybody that links anything in-game from Portal 2 will have to answer to the entire GAF community.

Tis not GAf community we fear, it is The Bishop whose wrath we want to avoid...

god dammit.... I am having a very hard time sticking to ps3 version... i wanna get the steam version and tell my bro to get the ps3 version after.

This countdown.....it beckons me. Its darkness...It will damn us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all my years of gaming I don't think there has been a game where my anticipation has been so arduously painful. Without doubt this will go down as the most memorable pre-launch event, spanning two ARGs, 13 indie studios, a fucking BBS and one of the most clever uses of cyphers, encryption, and all-around insanity.

Thank you Based Gabe!

Gabe-Newell-6.jpg

Lasthope106 said:
In all my years of gaming I don't think there has been a game where the anticipation has been so arduously painful. Without doubt this will go down as the most memorable pre-launch event, spanning two ARGs, 13 indie studios, a fucking BBS and one of the most clever uses of cyphers, encryption, and all-around insanity.

Thank you Based Gabe!

Gabe-Newell-6.jpg
He truly is a sex... wonderful man. :/

Lasthope106 said:
In all my years of gaming I don't think there has been a game where the anticipation has been so arduously painful. Without doubt this will go down as the most memorable pre-launch event, spanning two ARGs, 13 indie studios, a fucking BBS and one of the most clever uses of cyphers, encryption, and all-around insanity.

Thank you Based Gabe!

That is true. I have NEVER had this much fucking FUN in anticipation of a game. It's been a blast and I'm kinda sad to see it coming to its natural end. But beyond this door lies another of more fun.

JaseC

LovingSteam said:
He truly is a sex... wonderful man. :/

LovingSteam
Douchebag Prophet
(Today, 12:57 PM)

Too easy? :p

I've been listening to "The Device Has Been Modified v2" all day. Sogood.gif

jonyet

Neo Member
IchigoSharingan said:
Tis not GAf community we fear, it is The Bishop whose wrath we want to avoid...

god dammit.... I am having a very hard time sticking to ps3 version... i wanna get the steam version and tell my bro to get the ps3 version after.

This countdown.....it beckons me. Its darkness...It will damn us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps3 version comes with a steam version right? that's why i got the ps3 one. plus you should be able to cross platform play with those same two copies there, and if you get it on amazon student you get 20 bucks amazon credit.

or i've been heavily lied to.

JaseC

SenseiJinx said:
Wow, Portal was one huge download...far bigger than any of Valve's previous games. Interesting.

Yeah, it's around 3.5GB larger than the current TF2 (well, TF2 as it existed before today's update - I haven't updated my copy yet).

Jackl

PS3 version stole me away, I wanted my kids be able to play it too.

Only 1 weekend...no big deal. I can take it.

....god help me.

Arozay

Ugh, they gave Super Meat boy stupid easy potatos and then throw Cogs at you... I'd rather do Cotton Alley then this crap.

JaseC

traveler said:
I'm not seeing the $40 either. I see that the price per person is equivalent to that under the 2 pack, but I'm not seeing anything else that would suggest it.
Snapshot King said:
It's still 44.99

Eh, what do I care, I got the two pack.

I think he's referring to the 2-pack, which is indeed $40 when split. (Well, $39.99.)

adg1034

Re: the price, I get it- what they're saying is that the Potato Sack + Portal 2 pack is $5 less than what the Potato Sack and Portal 2 preorder would have cost separately. They don't make that very clear, though.

traveler

Not Wario
Perhaps there are assets for more than just Portal 2... maybe even another game... a certain missing episode...

I cannot imagine what the reaction would be.

KScorp said:
I'm confused. Here is what I see:

KfQ1E.jpg

Weird. Is there any precedent for getting a cheaper price on a game if someone on your friend's list wants it by any chance?

JaseC

KScorp said:
I'm confused. Here is what I see:

http://i.imgur.com/KfQ1E.jpg

Strange, the 10% discount has existed since Portal 2 went up on the store. If you add it to your cart is it still $40? Perhaps the heavier discount is applied if you have a certain amount of friends who have the game on their wishlist?

Edit: Beaten to this theory, I see!

Stallion Free said:
Has he said anything negative about Steam since they started using Steamworks for their titles?

Sorry, I somehow managed to miss your post. No, I don't believe so. He's done a great job of keeping his mouth shut.

SenseiJinx said:
I wonder...the assets for Portal 2 are really taking up that much more than previous Valve games? Even after years of updates, it's still over 3GB larger than TF2. Wow.

Yeah, the downloaded files in the portal 2 folder expand to around 9.7GB. That doesn't include shared assets.

KScorp

I have both Portal 2 and the Potato Sack bundle (purchased separately only a few hours ago, with the %10 discount). Either way I'm out 5 bucks, but I'm just confused as to why I can get it for $5 less now. :/

Mairu

There's 10 people on my friends list with Portal 2 on their wish list. It's 44.99 for me.

That's weird, but I got in on a two-pack with my friend to get it for $40 anyways

JaseC

Mairu said:
There's 10 people on my friends list with Portal 2 on their wish list. It's 44.99 for me.

That's weird, but I got in on a two-pack with my friend to get it for $40 anyways

Weird, man. *cue X-Files music*

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Zombie James said:
So we do get something in TF2 for pre-ordering? Nice!

It's going to be silly when people have two of 'em.

SalsaShark said:
So it isnt the same pin as the potato pack one ?

Not necessarily - there's the Level 13 pin and the level 20 pin. Same model, different name/level. Look through the Mann Co. store catalog.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SalsaShark said:
So it isnt the same pin as the potato pack one ?
Yeah, I find that odd too. But it was always odd that the two pins had different item IDs (The Companion Cube pin has been in the games files for a while now)

My guess is that ether the Potato pin will change its looks once Portal 2 is live (Maybe make use of the new Style feature to change how it looks), or get a particle effect, like the community sparkle.

Exuro

Mairu said:
Maybe it has to do with how many potatoes you have? I only have 6
I only have 6 too. The price of the game shows up as 44.99 in the search bar but the main page shows 20% off at $39.99.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Maybe Portal 2 has some major changes to the Source SDK?

I find it a bit funny the 360 and PS3 configurations are included with the PC version.

I wonder if I can set the game to PS3 mode or something.

cpu_level_1_pc
cpu_level_2_pc
cpu_level_360
cpu_level_ps3

gpu_level_1_pc
gpu_level_360
gpu_level_ps3

Oh, game seems to have commentary in it too if it wasn't known.

traveler said:
My theory was that it comes with Episode 3! You get it after beating the game! I'm not setting myself up for disappointment in the slightest.

Unless Episode 3 has you shooting rainbows and ponies from your weapons, not likely.

Top Bottom