• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

celebi23

Got my Portal-themed avatar all set. Gonna try & get a few more potatoes if I can. Do you think Valve will let us keep trying to get the Potatoes even after Portal 2 is released?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
celebi23 said:
Got my Portal-themed avatar all set. Gonna try & get a few more potatoes if I can. Do you think Valve will let us keep trying to get the Potatoes even after Portal 2 is released?

One of the following three situations seems plausible to me:

1) They go away after the ARG is done.
2) Valve allow a "grace period" that sees the potatoes stay up on player profiles for an extended period of time following the ARG, eventually disappearing altogether.
3) Valve make the potatoes a sort of currency within Steam. (A lot of effort went into obtaining the potatoes, after all. For the most part.)

In all three cases, the possibility is there for the golden potato tag image to remain.

If the third option occurs, I'm saving mine for Episode Three, or whatever box/package/whathaveyou it's bundled with. Not going to spend a cent potato until then!

Salsa

JaseC said:
In all three cases, the possibility is there for the golden potato tag image to remain.

Im thinking this is all there is to it

im cool with keeping my golden tater though, my mark on the ARG forevarrrrr

MGHA

Hylian7 said:
I think it was agreed that that Youtube account has nothing to do with the ARG and those ending videos are real.......

If those are the endings to the game, then I am VERY DISSAPOINTED!

Twig

Banned
Hylian7 said:
I think it was agreed that that Youtube account has nothing to do with the ARG and those ending videos are real.......
Maybe they make sense in context, but watching them as they are, they are utterly meaningless.

EDIT: Oh, but the description of the first one has links to videos that look like they might actually be something.

WELP.

DOUBLE EDIT: Yeah, I watched like ten seconds into the second link and saw a personality sphere and was like "NOPE" and closed it. J:

Greyvvolf

Well... 36 potatoes for me. I'm going to bed, it was fun though. Can't wait to see what happens when the timer goes down to zero. GOLDEN POTATO!

Twig

Banned
Zombie James said:
You mean the ones that were 10 seconds long? :/
Twig said:
Maybe they make sense in context, but watching them as they are, they are utterly meaningless.

EDIT: Oh, but the description of the first one has links to videos that look like they might actually be something.

WELP.

DOUBLE EDIT: Yeah, I watched like ten seconds into the second link and saw a personality sphere and was like "NOPE" and closed it. J:
Yes.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hylian7 said:
Then why did they link to new ARG material?

JaseC

Dance In My Blood said:
Then why did they link to new ARG material?

The current running theory is that, since the shorter videos are for the ARG (presumably - and I say that because there's nothing about them on the Wiki front page), the other longer videos are fake endings.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
JaseC said:
The current running theory is that, since the shorter videos are for the ARG (presumably - and I say that because there's nothing about them on the Wiki front page), the other longer videos are fake endings.
Yeah, that's my point.

Hylian7

Chesskid1 said:
MOD EDIT: The "FlamehausPortal" youtube channel is not affiliated with Valve.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1836518

and threads about it are being locked.

looks like he just posted the videos from a leak of the game tbh. i know you could watch the videos from god of war 3 on a PC so that's what probably happened. i watched a bit of em but turned it off.
Just as I thought. The "outtros" on there are real, do not watch them.

I really don't get this... I'm so late to the party and it seems like so much reading to understand what the hell is going on.

Could someone please give a shortish summary of what this whole ARG and Potato thing is? I probably should have gotten into this earlier but I just didn't for whatever reason.

I will be SO upset if Portal 2 only unlocks for people who have done this potato hunt!?

Also, do you have to buy that other indie bundle in order to be able to participate? That seems a bit silly to me.

JaseC

ColonialRaptor said:
I really don't get this... I'm so late to the party and it seems like so much reading to understand what the hell is going on.

Could someone please give a shortish summary of what this whole ARG and Potato thing is? I probably should have gotten into this earlier but I just didn't for whatever reason.

I will be SO upset if Portal 2 only unlocks for people who have done this potato hunt!?

Also, do you have to buy that other indie bundle in order to be able to participate? That seems a bit silly to me.

There's an investigation history page at the Wiki: http://valvearg.com/wiki/Investigation_History. I don't believe the game will unlock only for those who have potatoes and/or bought the indie pack. That's not Valve at all.

You didn't have to buy the bundle to participate; the games were updated individually, so even if you owned Audiosurf from way back when it was originally put on Steam you could go after its potatoes if you so desired.

IceMarker

Hylian7 said:
Just as I thought. The "outtros" on there are real, do not watch them.
They're fake, since when has valve done CGI endings to their games? Starting with Portal 2? I don't think so. Valve is working with Flamehaus.

JaseC said:
There's an investigation history page at the Wiki: http://valvearg.com/wiki/Investigation_History. I don't believe the game will unlock only for those who have potatoes and/or bought the indie pack. That's not Valve at all.

You didn't have to buy the bundle to participate; the games were updated individually, so even if you owned Audiosurf from way back when it was originally put on Steam you could go after its potatoes if you so desired.

Heh... I own ZERO of the games that the potato's are in lol.

Now I understand it better, thanks for that history page. What a fucking awesome thing to do. Wow... FUCK... Valve are gods.

Related to the YouTube ending links posted:
Flamehaus member Sharkman (who wants to remain nameless). is saying (with no degree of certainty), that the videos are legitimate parts of the real game. I'm very disappointed with both Valve and Flamehaus if this is the case.

Sharkman: anyway, i'm not sure of the intentions of the dude that started this fiasco, but i do know that it was just 1 person and not the entire community; but it was a well played foil

Steam forums confirm this
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1836680&page=4
Valve mdoerator said:
The videos are not part of the ARG. Discussing videos with potential spoilers, whether they are real or not, will not do anyone any good.

The important thing here is that the videos are not part of the ARG, they were not published by Valve. Do not spread the links around. The youtube channel will be taken down in time.

You'll find out whether or not the videos were taken from Portal 2 next week. In the meantime, continued discussion only increases the likelihood that others will be duped into watching them as well.

I'm asking you to exercise a little discretion here - if, in fact, you have spoiled a part of Portal 2 on yourself, there's no reason to spoil it for others.

JaseC

ColonialRaptor said:
Heh... I own ZERO of the games that the potato's are in lol.

Now I understand it better, thanks for that history page. What a fucking awesome thing to do. Wow... FUCK... Valve are gods.

I imagine this is Valve and co. right now:

6bQED.png

Dilly

Banned
Haven't seen any gameplay videos, I have no idea about what the story is, I only know Glados and Chell are in, I've seen like 2 screenshots and the only videos I saw were the investmentopportunities.

Going in unspoiled!

Salsa

Zomba13 said:
Your avatar is now even more awesome.

Credit goes to ColonialRaptor, who added the potato and TF2 helmet.

Btw, you should make your potato gold brah. If valve isnt going to reward me yet im claiming my own braggin rights after that race ;P

Omikaru

Bit pissed off about those Portal 2 spoilers. VG247 posted them as fake and one of their writers linked to the article on his twitter, proclaiming them as part of the ARG and fake.

I watched them, checked out GAF, and found out that they're real. Damn. :(

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Figured i should get the spuds for Audiosurf, Meat Boy and Cogs seeing as i do own them!

Meat Boy was a pain, i had beaten it on my laptop but not the PC, and the save didn't carry, AND i had like no bandages anyway, so i had to get the 20 bandages needed for Meat World. Ergh.

I finally read up the Investigation History wiki page, that's some ride they've taken you on! Very good work!

SalsaShark said:

Btw, you should make your potato gold brah. If valve isnt going to reward me yet im claiming my own braggin rights after that race ;P

:)

IceMarker

Omikaru said:
I watched them, checked out GAF, and found out that they're real. Damn. :(
THEY'RE FAKE, VALVE HAS NEVER DONE CGI OUTTROS OR ENDINGS EVER. PORTAL 2 WOULD BE THE FIRST IF THEY WERE REAL.

Caps lock for intentional seriousness.

Spookie

MrMister said:
THEY'RE FAKE, VALVE HAS NEVER DONE CGI OUTTROS OR ENDINGS EVER. PORTAL 2 WOULD BE THE FIRST IF THEY WERE REAL.

Quoted just to make sure people see this.

derFeef

MrMister said:

Pretty well done fake then, with signature animations of the bots and so on.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MrMister said:

I dont see why this makes it impossible. Yes, Valve try and do stuff in-engine, but they've been pushing the Source film maker for awhile now.

Zomba13

SalsaShark said:

Done. Sort of.

Top Bottom