• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

BY2K

Membero Americo
Zeouterlimits said:
"Irish and cynic" on the countdown - to what do they refer?

They refer to the phrase "being poor and Irish". A phrase I have seen used quite a lot in the Steam forums (when I saw it, it would be to "insult" someone that doesn't have any hats in TF2.)

Falt

Zeouterlimits said:
"Irish and cynic" on the countdown - to what do they refer?
ARGities who found stuff?
Or potatoes (Ireland, potato etc)?

I was wondering this myself... I thought it was a reference to the famine? As now the community is inundated with potatoes.

BY2K said:
They refer to the phrase "being poor and Irish". A phrase I have seen used quite a lot in the Steam forums (when I saw it, it would be to "insult" someone that doesn't have any hats in TF2.)
Ah. Thank you for the explanation.

*not sure if I should be offended by phrase* Operating on 5 hours sleep from the past two days, so don't want to be irrational.

Firehead

Feep said:
Didn't I see a picture of you in-game in Portal 2?

Should I kill you? I don't know what I'm supposed to do!
Yeah, it was some appid edit thing. Explained what happened a few pages back. Apologies!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I have an issue with Cogs. Did all 3 of the necessary Potato challenges, but for the Best Laid Plans potato i never got the overlay appearing, and the other 2 challenges did nothing upon completion except play the audio... No sign of the potatoes...

EDIT: Problem solved, for some reason overlay was running in the background, meaning Cogs wasn't able to open it...

EDIT 2: Wow, well these Audiosurf ones are a total bitch.

EVIL

MrMister said:
THEY'RE FAKE, VALVE HAS NEVER DONE CGI OUTTROS OR ENDINGS EVER. PORTAL 2 WOULD BE THE FIRST IF THEY WERE REAL.

Caps lock for intentional seriousness.
ehm, not to be an ass here, but the portal 1 ending was a CGI movie

well movie, short clip

masterkajo

Ok finally caved in after my exam (I prepared for the last 2 weeks). Started up my Toki Tori and got 2 potatos .How many are there in Toki Tori? Thinking about getting the Potato sack now... DAMN YOU valve!

Dachande

EVIL said:

well movie, short clip

The part outside the building after you beat GLaDOS was in-game, and the flythrough after the credits was also in-game. Do you mean the credits sequence? That wasn't "the ending".

Dachande said:
The part
outside the building after you beat GLaDOS
was in-game, and the flythrough after the credits was also in-game. Do you mean the credits sequence? That wasn't "the ending".

Edit - So the end of Portal 1 isn't a spoiler and I want to remove my miss-reaction.

Narag

ColonialRaptor said:
If you're going to talk about ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE ENDING THEN SPOILER THAT FUCKING SHIT.

You might not think that this post contains spoilers, but purely because of a couple of things you said it DOES contain spoilers. Saying
after you beat GlaDOS
is a fucking spoiler because there is no information out there about whether this is part of the game or not, especially the
beat
word.

Are the people waiting for Portal 2 that concerned about Portal 1 spoilers?
I heard the cake was a lie too.

classicdms

Neo Member
ColonialRaptor said:
If you're going to talk about ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE ENDING THEN SPOILER THAT FUCKING SHIT.

You might not think that this post contains spoilers, but purely because of a couple of things you said it DOES contain spoilers. Saying
after you beat GlaDOS
is a fucking spoiler because there is no information out there about whether this is part of the game or not, especially the
beat
word.
I'm sure he means Portal 1 . . .

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EVIL said:

well movie, short clip

All scenes in Portal 1 were rendered in-engine, including the blast outside after defeating GlaDOS, and the zoom in through the labs to the cake.

These videos apparently dont show 'in engine' work, but are all rendered in Source film maker.

I'm betting they're real, and those thinking otherwise are probably going to be disappointed.

I am re-leaved. I seriously apologise.

Sorry for my over reaction - I'm a bit touchy about spoilers... I really should be taking my leave of these threads but I can't help it... because I will be part of the countdown conclusion and investigation.

Maybe I should go play Portal and finish those challenges I haven't done yet until then.

Falt said:
Some people need to get some sleep.

That would be me... heh, I'm totally sick as fuck as well... damn flu (or commonly known as man cold).

Imma bounce for a while guys, cya in 3:41.

Damn, I wish I could've slept longer. I'm unemployed, not in school, have nothing to do with my days. But can I sleep in till 12 pm? Nooooooo.

Eating a Portal themed breakfast today, including a can of beans, a gallon jug of water, and one boiled
potato.
Ratman lives cheap.

Going to get caffeinated as shit in a few hours and see if I can't do my part to get this game released early. Or whatever the hell is supposed to happen.

IceMarker

EatChildren said:
All scenes in Portal 1 were rendered in-engine, including the blast outside after defeating GlaDOS, and the zoom in through the labs to the cake.

These videos apparently dont show 'in engine' work, but are all rendered in Source film maker.

I'm betting they're real, and those thinking otherwise are probably going to be disappointed.
I watched all three videos, the most convincing one was the co-op one. Three things though turn me off to the fact that these are fake and Valve themselves are working with Flamehaus (or rather GLaDOS is leaking them intentionally, who knows). First of all, as I've already mentioned, the only time Valve uses Source Film Maker is for promtional videos or game intros, second, wouldn't Valve request YouTube to take these down immediately or some kind of action, and finally, I would be severely disappointed in Valve and the Portal 2 team in general if this was the 'bang' that finished off what appears to be a genuinely great designed game from beginning-to-end. The ending literally has no 'send off' in all instances, unlike Portal 1 which
had meaning in the fact you kill GLaDOS and are dragged off by a personality core
, these 'endings' have little-to-no meaning, besides the co-op one which I already said seems the most legit. The videos themselves I believe are red herrings from Valve, and if I'm wrong, Valve simply didn't try hard enough for a better ending in my eyes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MrMister said:
I watched all three videos, the most convincing one was the co-op one. Three things though turn me off to the fact that these are fake and Valve themselves are working with Flamehaus (or rather GLaDOS is leaking them intentionally, who knows). First of all, as I've already mentioned, the only time Valve uses Source Film Maker is for promtional videos or game intros, second, wouldn't Valve request YouTube to take these down immediately or some kind of action, and finally, I would be severely disappointed in Valve and the Portal 2 team in general if this was the 'bang' that finished off what appears to be a genuinely great designed game from beginning-to-end. The ending literally has no 'send off' in all instances, unlike Portal 1 which
had meaning in the fact you kill GLaDOS and are dragged off by a personality core
, these 'endings' have little-to-no meaning, besides the co-op one which I already said seems the most legit. The videos themselves I believe are red herrings from Valve, and if I'm wrong, Valve simply didn't try hard enough for a better ending in my eyes.

In context they might be good though. It's not like Valve's endings would look any good as they are. Imagine seeing Portal's ending without context. It would seem quite underwhelming. Same goes for HL2 and Ep1 to a degree, the former of which I know a lot of people were underwhelmed by as it is.

I'm sure there will be climatic gameplay moment to Portal 2, but it really wouldn't surprise me if out of context the ending itself seems flat. Valve has pretty much never produced a game that has ended on a really climatic, finalising film clip or anything. It's always been pretty subtle and subdued.

Green Scar said:
Nice to see so many Portal 2 avatars. There should be more still! :lol

Have you see the OT? I've been working on them pretty much the last 28 hours (including 10 hours sleep in that period of time)

So, this is what's come out of the ARG so far this morning. "the final test"

edit: NONONO

....potatoes, french fries, uh... man, I'm tired of riding, I wish the trip was through.

edit: for clarity's sake, certainly fake (well not related), but funny anyway.

IceMarker

EatChildren said:
In context they might be good though. It's not like Valve's endings would look any good as they are. Imagine seeing Portal's ending without context. It would seem quite underwhelming. Same goes for HL2 and Ep1 to a degree, the former of which I know a lot of people were underwhelmed by as it is.

I'm sure there will be climatic gameplay moment to Portal 2, but it really wouldn't surprise me if out of context the ending itself seems flat. Valve has pretty much never produced a game that has ended on a really climatic, finalising film clip or anything. It's always been pretty subtle and subdued.
True, I gotta say if they are real anyone who did watch them will still enjoy them knowing the context, IF THEY ARE REAL.

As for the bold, Portal 1 was pretty climactic. ;)

Morkins

Banned
theinfinityissue said:
So, this is what's come out of the ARG so far this morning. "the final test"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaDPPJyof8M&feature=player_embedded

....potatoes, french fries, uh... man, I'm tired of riding, I wish the trip was through.

edit: for clarity's sake, certainly fake (well not related), but funny anyway.
Valve is trolling everyone... Again. Or maybe this was all a 2 week long April Fool's Day epic trolling victory.

deleted that link, the channel that posted it is a spoiler/leak channel. That video itself could have been Portal 2 spoilers, although for anyone who saw it, I'm sure you'll join me in wondering how the fuck that could be. Probably part of a troll, but better safe than sorry.

Zomba13

MrMister said:
In other news, the 3 portal ending videos have been set to private on Flamehaus' channel.

EDIT: @TheInifinityIssue Flamehaus' was the channel that was posted the supposed spoiler/leak videos, but they have been private'd so it's safe to post, the real question is why is GLaDOS infecting Flamehaus' forums, which has led me to believe the videos posted on Flamehaus' YouTube are from Valve/GLaDOS.
Pretty sure all the Flamehaus stuff is a troll. Didn't Valve say they are not associated at all?

Hylian7

Zomba13 said:
Pretty sure all the Flamehaus stuff is a troll. Didn't Valve say they are not associated at all?
This. I'm not sure why people are still believing it. The endings probably are real because he probably pirated it.

theinfinityissue said:
Yeah, was about to post that. Whatever it is we're about to do, we're probably going to need as many people as possible to do it.

GET IN HERE PEOPLE.

We've got work to do.

Reporting in for science.

Feep

Banned
theinfinityissue said:
Yeah, was about to post that. Whatever it is we're about to do, we're probably going to need as many people as possible to do it.

GET IN HERE PEOPLE.

We've got work to do.
Ready and waiting.

For science!

KiKaL

I was so tempted to take the day off work for this...I should have! I am in between projects so I don't have anything to do. I'm on a Mac so I can't access most of these games! I have Parallels but it runs awful

Zomba13

Potato steam chat has new theory: GLaDOS = Rebecca Black. Booting up Portal 2 once the countdown ends has GLaDOS singing Friday to you with Cave Johnson doing the rap/backing vocals.

Not confirmation but Portal 2 was added to the registry. It isn't a pre-purchase, retail purchase, or pack add (the Portal 2 & Potato pack were added also). I'd venture to say its 99% sure that Portal 2 is releasing today.

Hylian7

LovingSteam said:
Not confirmation but Portal 2 was added to the registry. It isn't a pre-purchase, retail purchase, or pack add (the Portal 2 & Potato pack were added also). I'd venture to say its 99% sure that Portal 2 is releasing today.
What do you mean by "registry"? Windows registry?

Oh god please don't let this be a really elaborate extended April fools joke. Even though I'm 99.9% thinking it's one more puzzle set then the game release, there is still a tiny tiny little part of me that thinks we will get fucked over.

As a side note, if you are reading this and aren't a part of the Neogaf steam group, can you join it? It's on 2,999 members, just need one :)

Hylian7 said:
What do you mean by "registry"? Windows registry?

No. The Steam registry. It's a program that lists all of the games, packages, DLC, etc. that is added to Steam. Packs, games are listed their before officially placed on the Steam store many times.

Top Bottom