• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

epmode

So for this game to be released at a reasonable hour on Sunday (EST), Steam usage needs to triple.

This last stage is so disappointing.

Zombie James said:
And if you remove the 'R'... HOLY SHIT

ySU0v.jpg

It's all so clear now, Gordon Freeman is actually Alf. Damn we're good at this ARG stuff.

epmode said:
So for this game to be released at a reasonable hour on Sunday (EST), Steam usage needs to triple.

I hoping that Valve isn't actually expecting us to fill up the whole bar at this speed. I am sure there will be some sort of "story" reason that things will speed up at some point. But yeah, if it goes at this speed the whole time then Valve has kinda buggered the whole ARG up.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
epmode said:

It's going to slow down tonight.

But yeah, this feels painfully and unnecessarily slow.

The M.O.B

Not to be picky, but at what point do we abandon this thread and post all ARG related stuff in the official thread instead? I got all 3 portal threads up to make sure I see all the posts.

Mikey Jr.

epmode said:

Nah man, you're looking at Monday, probably early morning in America.

If you're working, it's pretty much Monday after you come home from work. And the game releases at 12am anyways, so for some people, this will be pretty useless.

epmode said:

The difference between the "official" release date and the "do a lot of gaming instead of seducing and porking the wife" release date is so negligent, that I'm not even going to load any of the 5 games in the potato pack I own. They should have gone with a higher rate of unlocking. As it stands, I'm just going to enjoy my weekend, and play it Tuesday when I get off work.

Mango Positive said:
The difference between the "official" release date and the "do a lot of gaming instead of seducing and porking the wife" release date is so negligent, that I'm not even going to load any of the 5 games in the potato pack I own. They should have gone with a higher rate of unlocking. As it stands, I'm just going to enjoy my weekend, and play it Tuesday when I get off work.
Same here. This is not worth it for me. Sorry.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Fox318 said:
I have hope that people will play games tonight.
I wish, but it seems unlikely. The bell graph for online users is showing that while the drop off isn't as bad as yesterday, playing habits aren't very altered. The TF2 update didn't help either.
Won said:
If the Killing Floor bar continues like that, then Portal 2 is gonna get delayed by a week.
The bars aren't supposed to fill up. More likely, as someone already posted in here earlier, they are indicative of the percentage of owners running the game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wouldn't it be awesome if we only had to fill one bar, and as soon as TWEOTW fills up we get Portal 2?

Other then that, I dunno, this seems impossible. We've barely made it a tenth of the way through twelve bars, did Valve expect about five times as many people to participate?

It would be really really nice if Valve explained exactly what we need to do.

Jintor

The_Technomancer said:
Wouldn't it be awesome if we only had to fill one bar, and as soon as TWEOTW fills up we get Portal 2?

Other then that, I dunno, this seems impossible. We've barely made it a tenth of the way through twelve bars, did Valve expect about five times as many people to participate?

It would be really really nice if Valve explained exactly what we need to do.

Seriously Valve. I love you BUT I HATE YOUUUUUUU

*goes to work on his legal essay, like he was supposed to anyway*

Carl

So this thing made me actually buy something from Steam. Bought "The Wonderful End of The World" - what a great little game.

Error_g

AngryChinchilla said:
Did the potato sack drop in price? I thought it was $37 or $38 (75% off) but i just picked it up for $33.72 (78% off)

If you've bought Portal 2 you get a $5 discount now. There is also a new bundle that includes Portal 2 and the Potato sack

The_Technomancer said:
How are these "hours before the official release" calculations actually being calculated?

People are just basing it off the pixels of the progress bars, as far as I can tell. But that's assuming that the progress bars will continue on a relatively linear path. Who knows what filling one bar completely will do, or anything else. It could easily accelerate at anytime.

From my view, you can't trust the sites estimating release.

Error_g said:
If you've bought Portal 2 you get a $5 discount now. There is also a new bundle that includes Portal 2 and the Potato sack

I have Portal 2 pre-ordered/bought and the Potato Sack still shows up as $38.72 for me, even when I add it to my cart. Not going to check past that though for fear I accidentally impulse purchase something I don't need >.<

droopy

I don't know where everyone else is getting their information but...

If you idle multiple games all of their individual play times are tracked correctly. AKA running several games at once should help.

I just tried running Defense Grid, Audiosurf with my community page up. After exiting them all and refreshing my community page they all picked up a few extra hours.

aasoncott

AngryChinchilla said:
Did the potato sack drop in price? I thought it was $37 or $38 (75% off) but i just picked it up for $33.72 (78% off)

It's that price if you buy it with Portal 2.

Edit: Dammit, beaten twice.

droopy said:

If you idle multiple games all of their individual play times are tracked correctly. AKA running several games at once should help.

I just tried running Defense Grid, Audiosurf with my community page up. After exiting them all and refreshing my community page they all picked up a few extra hours.
This is important information and everyone should do this.

The M.O.B

droopy said:

Quoted for Importance

droopy said:

It's always worked that way on the profile pages, but the question is: is that how Valve is tracking this? I would think so, but there seems to be some confusion.

BY2K

Membero Americo
On the http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/ website.

Copy this text into the address bar:

javascript:(function(){var el=document.createElement('div'),b=document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0];otherlib=false,msg='';el.style.position='fixed';el.style.height='32px';el.style.width='220px';el.style.marginLeft='-110px';el.style.top='0';el.style.left='50%';el.style.padding='5px 10px';el.style.zIndex=1001;el.style.fontSize='12px';el.style.color='#222';el.style.backgroundColor='#f99';if(typeof jQuery!='undefined'){msg='This page already using jQuery v'+jQuery.fn.jquery;return showMsg();}function getScript(url,success){var script=document.createElement('script');script.src=url;var head=document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0],done=false;script.onload=script.onreadystatechange=function(){if(!done&&(!this.readyState||this.readyState=='loaded'||this.readyState=='complete')){done=true;success();script.onload=script.onreadystatechange=null;head.removeChild(script);}};head.appendChild(script);}getScript('http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3/jquery.min.js',function(){msg='This page is now jQuerified with v'+jQuery.fn.jquery;(function(){var space=' ';var current_pourcent=parseInt($('#overall_progress_bar').css('width').replace('px',''))*100/494;$('#overall_progress_ctn').append('<h2 style="display:block;position:relative;top:-50px;left:80px;color:gray;">Progress:'+space+current_pourcent.toFixed(3)+'%</h2><br/><br/>');var now=(Math.round(new Date().getTime()/1000));var old_time=g_endTimeLocal;g_endTimeLocal=Math.round((Math.round(new Date().getTime()/1000))+(3600*(100/current_pourcent)*(((now+338400)-g_endTimeLocal)/3600)));$('#console').append('09:01'+space+'-'+space+'Currently saving:'+space+((old_time-g_endTimeLocal)/3600).toFixed(3)+space+'Hours<br/>');var newDate=new Date();newDate.setTime(g_endTimeLocal*1000);var dateString=newDate.toUTCString();$('#console').append(newDate.toLocaleString()+space+'(Your timezone)'+space+'-'+space+'Portal 2 released<br/>');$('.game_row').each(function(){var playing=parseInt($(this).find('.game_cpus').text().replace(',','').replace(space+'CURRENT CPUS',''));var hours_elapsed=(((now+338400)-old_time)/3600).toFixed(3);var spent=playing*hours_elapsed;var owners=Math.round(459/parseInt($(this).find('.game_progress').css('width').replace('px',''))*playing);var total=Math.round(spent*(459/parseInt($(this).find('.game_progress').css('width').replace('px',''))));oldtext='<br/>'+$(this).find('.game_cpus').text().replace(space+'CURRENT CPUS','');oldtext+=space+'('+spent.toFixed(2)+space+'CPU HOURS/'+total+space+'estimated hours required'+')'+space+'('+Math.round(playing*100/owners)+'%)';$(this).find('.game_cpus').html(oldtext);});})();return showMsg();});function showMsg(){el.innerHTML=msg;b.appendChild(el);window.setTimeout(function(){if(typeof jQuery=='undefined'){b.removeChild(el);}else{jQuery(el).fadeOut('slow',function(){jQuery(this).remove();});if(otherlib){$jq=jQuery.noConflict();}}},2500);}})();

And you will see EXACTLY how the progress goes.

Top Bottom