• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Yeah, they need to reduce counter for other games to the same level as The Wonderful End of the World. 100,000 users per game is Call of Duty numbers! No way it can be pulled, not even with Steam community.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, the red bars are based on hours played, aren't they? People leave their games idling for, say, 8 hours, quit them so Steam updates the hours played on your account and they're then considered calculations toward the countdown?

The M.O.B

Which Tracker is correct?

cantwait4zr8.png

OR

cantwait2m7dq.png

???

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
JaseC said:
So, the red bar is based on hours played, isn't it? People leave their games idling for, say, 8 hours, quit them so Steam updates the hours played on your account and they're then considered calculations toward the countdown?

Yes. Although it hasnt been 100% guaranteed, thats what should logically be happening.

Edit:Both trackers are complete estimates, so neither of them are probably right. Plus we dont know what effect filling up one of the red bars will do yet.

JaseC

Datwheezy said:
Yes. Although it hasnt been 100% guaranteed, thats what should logically be happening.

Edit:Both trackers are complete estimates, so neither of them are probably right. Plus we dont know what effect filling up one of the red bars will do yet.

Figured as much (obviously :p). I was beginning to wonder why some people were going on about the need for concurrent players to fill the bar.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The number of hours a game needs depends on how long it was released/how well it sold.

The more sales it got and the longer the game was released, the more hours it needs. This is why Killing Floor is moving so slow.

Going by this logic, Kick It should have our attention for now. (Was released almost at the same time as the Potatto pack, so it both sold fewer and was released the latest.)

JaseC

BY2K said:
The number of hours a game needs depends on how long/how well it sold.

The more sales and the longer the game was released, the more hours it needs. This is why Killing Floor is moving so slow.

Interesting. Good thing CS:S isn't on there. :p

clip

shagg_187 said:
OK, So I'm running the following in the background:

Amnesia
Audiosurf
Bit.Trip Beat
Super Meat Boy

(Running more then one in background counts, right? right?!)

Yes. When you quit out of those games, you should see all of their respective playtimes increase on your profile page.

I've only managed to get 6 potatoes all day today. I haven't played half the games in the sack yet though. I have up on the AAAAA and the first Audiosurf one.
What are some really easy ones?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Phantom Limbs said:
I've only managed to get 6 potatoes all day today. I haven't played half the games in the sack yet though. I have up on the AAAAA and the first Audiosurf one.
What are some really easy ones?

Amnesia as a dead easy one.
Some of Defense Grid are quite easy (and fun.)
Killing Floor as two easy ones.
Super Meat Boy as well, if you have unlocked the required levels. (Hell and Super Meat World.)

And this one: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/nelipot , simply join the group and you get a potato.

Haha all of the easy one's I haven't even played yet. But I do have the steam group one. Ill try again later tonight. For now, I'm gonna let 5 games run in the background

clip

The_Technomancer said:
What happens when WEOTW hits 100 determines weather I continue to care or not.

Yep, that's what I'm waiting for tonight.

I'm assuming we'll get an update in the GlaDOS text output.

I'm mainly in it for my golden potato now, then I'm just gonna leave something up.

I'm up to 18. The potatoes.. the potatoes.

But, I'm actually really really enjoying some of these. Toki Tori is a blast, definitely gonna play through that one. I'm not so big on these falling downward games, though, they control like ass and make me sick.

4 AM here and I'm mixing redbull with old horror movies until WEOTW reaches 100%.

Also, Defense Grid running in the background (don't have WEOTW :/)

epmode

The_Technomancer said:
What happens when WEOTW hits 100 determines weather I continue to care or not.
I'm hoping that the big ZERO at the top of the page switches to ONE and multiplies the speed of all the other bars.

If it doesn't do anything, I'm giving up.

epmode said:
I'm hoping that the big ZERO at the top of the page switches to ONE and multiplies the speed of all the other bars.
I am sure that refers to Chell. When the game goes live it will switch to one since Chell will be the test subject.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Ive been a lurker here for a while now, but I think this incentive to release early is really cool. I haven't really followed the whole alternative reality game thing but I just bought the potato pack (all ready had portal 2 pre installed).

Should be a good way to pass the time until the proper release... And hey; any amount of time that its early suits me fine and dandy.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How do I get the Potato in The Ball? The Wiki list like 8 requirements to happen at the same time, any easy way to do it?

JaseC

Drkirby said:
How do I get the Potato in The Ball? The Wiki list like 8 requirements to happen at the same time, any easy way to do it?

Go to the game's page. There's a save you can use and then you just have to drown yourself once, walk into the fire once, stand whatever-it-is feet away from the ball and finally wait a few minutes.

I would've linked you to it myself but the Wiki isn't loading for me.

Original-Blue said:
Ive been a lurker here for a while now, but I think this incentive to release early is really cool. I haven't really followed the whole alternative reality game thing but I just bought the potato pack (all ready had portal 2 pre installed).

Should be a good way to pass the time until the proper release... And hey; any amount of time that its early suits me fine and dandy.

Yeah, and many of the games are a great way to pass the weekend.

I recommend The Wonderful End of the World (which will only take a couple of hours to complete) and Amnesia highly.

I beat the former and am currently stuck in the later. I'm downloading "The Ball" and Toki Tori right now. Both look cool.

I wasn't so fond of the music games-- Kick It, Aaaaaaah, and Audio Surf--but there is so much other good stuff in this pack that it is totaly worth the money and time investment.

I think it is also pretty cool that Valve is using a big release like Portal 2 as an opportunity to highlight some indie games.

JaseC

I love Toki Tori. The ApSci levels in particular are great.

The best thing about the game is his in-game model. He just looks so damn happy (most of the time!)

marrec

Banned
EternalGamer said:
Yeah, and many of the games are a great way to pass the weekend.

I recommend The Wonderful End of the World (which will only take a couple of hours to complete) and Amnesia highly.

I beat the former and am currently stuck in the later. I'm downloading "The Ball" and Toki Tori right now. Both look cool.

I wasn't so fond of the music games-- Kick It, Aaaaaaah, and Audio Surf--but there is so much other good stuff in this pack that it is totaly worth the money and time investment.

I think it is also pretty cool that Valve is using a big release like Portal 2 as an opportunity to highlight some indie games.

I watched the Videos of 'The Ball' on Steam and wow it did turn me off to the game. I was super interested until then. But yes, Amnesia is sooo good.

Blizzard

Banned
Lostconfused said:
I am sure that refers to Chell. When the game goes live it will switch to one since Chell will be the test subject.
There's not even a "one.png" on the site, so it seems unlikely that it would change, unless they have a system to automatically upload new number images.

TheBez

Almost 94%! Also using the java code renders a second countdown clock to the left on the normal one for me. It is ~16.5 hrs. ahead of the normal timer.

I've got Audiosurf, Bit Trip Beat, Killing Floor, Super Meat Boy, Amnesia, and AAAAAA all running right now. My computer is firing on all cylinders.

I've got a really fine rig set up, but running all these at once just might be pushing it. But if it means playing Portal 2 sooner...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
shagg_187 said:
Let's say all of these games are in my backlog and I've yet to play them at all.

How long does if take to get potatoes for:

Amnesia
Bit.Trip Beat
Super Meat Boy

?
Super Meat Boy is really fast if you've already gotten to World 4, but really long if you haven't. You can get there in like an hour or less if you know what you're doing.

Blizzard said:
There's not even a "one.png" on the site, so it seems unlikely that it would change, unless they have a system to automatically upload new number images.
Well, I don't think they would have a numbers directory/path just for one number.

WEGGLES

shagg_187 said:
Let's say all of these games are in my backlog and I've yet to play them at all.

Amnesia
Bit.Trip Beat
Super Meat Boy

?
Bit.Trip.Beat is quick. Play on easy.

shagg_187 said:

Amnesia
Bit.Trip Beat
Super Meat Boy

?
You can get one in Amnesia in 30 seconds flat. Just create a profile named "Casbah" and input "troubled memories" as the password when prompted. The other requires you to pretty much 100% the DLC, which would take a while.

JoeBoy101

shagg_187 said:

Amnesia
Bit.Trip Beat
Super Meat Boy

?

Amnesia is super easy. Start it up, create a profile called 'Cashbah' and then the password 'troubled memories' for the console that comes up. Easiest potato to get aside from the group to join in steam.

EDIT: Beaten like a ginger.

Also, TWEOTW is REALLY close to 100% now.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Its interesting. The timer is definitely reducing faster than the time on the clock. The simple way to tell is to refresh the page and watch the time drop by minutes between refreshes. Cool!

Games are downloading - I'm actually excited to try all these new games, its not often that you get do many new games at once.

Oh no, I won't be able to play the wonderful end of the world... Because the bar will be full by the time I finish downloading it, and I don't want to play something if I'm not contributing.

Good news from that is that hopefully all the CPUs playing that game will switch over to another game :)

Blizzard

Banned
butter_stick said:
If you check the url of that ZERO, you can change the filename from zero to one-nine. So it seems like it'll keep track of something. Maybe number of people playing Portal 2?
I'm a moran, you're right. I was typing out the name instead of using the digit. So okay, at least greater than 0, and it would sorta make sense to count the number of complete games because they were referred to as "test chambers". Whether that posts the rate though...

Good news from that is that hopefully all the CPUs playing that game will switch over to another game :)
The big problem with this is that the rate is apparently determined by how many people own the game. So if a TON of people own Killing Floor, it can be at 5000 all day yet barely move. The 2400 people from end of the world seem like they'd barely make a dent in KF even if they coordinated.

Top Bottom