• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Cave Johnson's opinion on the matter :p

cavejohnsoncopy.jpg

I tried to get the second potato from Audiosurf to help out the effort (as it's the only game in the sack I own) and damn, it's hard.

Idling/playing Audiosurf now though.

Jenga

Banned
MRORANGE said:
you're looking too far back in the narrative friend

I never stated that steam has always eliminated zero-day piracy, but for the last few years, it has

also, like crysis 2, that is a special exception

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Jenga said:

I never stated that steam has always eliminated zero-day piracy, but for the last few years, it has

This is actually quite true. When was the last time a Steamworks game was pirated before release? Hell, Steam has even successfully fended off 2nd and 3rd day piracy in some cases.

It's just baffling, really. With that kind of record, I don't know why publishers just don't go full Steamworks for their titles. It is literally the only DRM that works at all.

Railer

Neat , didn't see the stuff about playing some indie games to make Portal 2 release early. I think I'm gonna put some time into Audiosurf tonight, been awhile since i played it.

StuBurns

Banned
morningbus said:
It's just baffling, really. With that kind of record, I don't know why publishers just don't go full Steamworks for their titles. It is literally the only DRM that works at all.
Because that's almost no advantage? No one pirates it before launch? A couple of days later? How is that going to help publishers at all? If it were months, it might make a significant difference though.

Twig

Banned
Jenga said:

Yeah, it can only eliminate day-zero piracy if the game uses Steamworks and/or is Steam exclusive. Otherwise, it depends on the other distributors.

For obvious reasons, Mass Effect 2 would be an exception because EA hates Steam. X:

Ozone

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I tried to get the second potato from Audiosurf to help out the effort (as it's the only game in the sack I own) and damn, it's hard.

Idling/playing Audiosurf now though.
I'm working on that potato too. What a pain in the ass it is.

Jenga

Banned
StuBurns said:
Because that's almost no advantage? No one pirates it before launch? A couple of days later? How is that going to help publishers at all?
you're either a troll or a fool

a trollfool if you will

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
StuBurns said:
Because that's almost no advantage? No one pirates it before launch? A couple of days later? How is that going to help publishers at all? If it were months, it might make a significant difference though.

Look at it this way: all the data for Portal 2 has been sitting on thousands, upon thousands of computers for nearly a week and hasn't been cracked yet. If it were any other DRM system, we would have been playing it as soon as they gave us the data.

That alone is the advantage of Steam DRM.

Any other DRM: cracked long before launch.
Steam DRM: cracked days after launch.

How is that not an advantage? This is how you turn pirates into legit customers. Apple did it with iTunes and Steam has done it with PC gaming.

StuBurns said:

What? 0-day piracy is pretty much the only thing publishers care about because most titles are so front loaded with sales. Pirated copies that are out literally months before a retail reelase (eg PC Assassins Creed) have been shown to have much lower than expected sales.

Also, as it's mostly you pursuing this, wtf has piracy got to do with this topic?

StuBurns

Banned
morningbus said:
Look at it this way: all the data for Portal 2 has been sitting on thousands, upon thousands of computers for nearly a week and hasn't been cracked yet. If it were any other DRM system, we would have been playing it as soon as they gave us the data.

That alone is the advantage of Steam DRM.

Any other DRM: cracked long before launch.
Steam DRM: cracked days after launch.

How is that not an advantage? This is how you turn pirates into legit customers. Apple did it with iTunes and Steam has done it with PC gaming.
It's an advantage yeah, but a small one I think, it still gets pirated. It ends the same way. I find it hard to believe pirates wouldn't just wait a few days. Maybe they would buy it instead, I don't know, but I find that hard to believe.

MrNyarlathotep said:
What? 0-day piracy is pretty much the only thing publishers care about because most titles are so front loaded with sales. Pirated copies that are out literally months before a retail reelase (eg PC Assassins Creed) have been shown to have much lower than expected sales.

Also, as it's mostly you pursuing this, wtf has piracy got to do with this topic?
Months before and a few days doesn't seem like the same thing.

And no, it's not 'mostly me'. In fact I suggested we move on but people carried on.

Baha

darkpaladinmfc said:
My bad, I was wondering how there could be an easy way to complete the Killing Floor bar.

I figure it'll start to snowball the fewer games are left to complete. Most of the games are already at 30% or more with a few below 20%. We're getting there.

Sober

Weird, I got the Resurrection Pin since I bought the pack and preordered Portal 2, but I haven't gotten the Companion Cube pin or the [classified] helm in TF2 just yet ... they still need to drop?

Baha

Sober said:
Weird, I got the Resurrection Pin since I bought the pack and preordered Portal 2, but I haven't gotten the Companion Cube pin or the [classified] helm in TF2 just yet ... they still need to drop?

They should drop either in-game or if you visit the Mann Co. Store.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Drkirby said:
AaAaA done! Next up, I guess should be Bit Trip.

Is there an Easy way to get the first Killing Floor one?
The Potato Gun one? You can set up a dedicated server for yourself and give yourself 70K.

Jenga

Banned
can someone gimme that link to the site directing everything?

i think it was something like "whenwillportal2release" or something

Doopliss

duderon said:
Progress from 12 AM PST yesterday to noon PST today. Yanked from the steam boards.

http://i56.tinypic.com/20fyjjn.jpg
So the first snapsnot is at 15 hours? That pretty much proves that there hasn't been any multiplying effect from the potatoes (which have more than doubled since glados@home began). Maybe the bonus the Valve guy spoke of will kick in at 300000 potatos? </wishful thinking>

voodooray

OmegaDragon said:
Anyone want to play Killing Floor on the GAF server?
Absolutely, though I have never played on these servers. Are the latencies decent for Brit-GAF?

Also, if someone could PM the password to me, that would be grand. Cheers.

Edit: Doh, never mind

OmegaDragon said:
Check the KF group on Steam

Argh it set on a custom map. Can someone set it to a normal map? The download speed is so slow..

Yeah, it was looking like a 20 min+ download for the map for me. I'm in if it goes any quicker on a non custom map.

Sent

Doopliss said:
So the first snapsnot is at 15 hours? That pretty much proves that there hasn't been any multiplying effect from the potatoes (which have more than doubled since glados@home began). Maybe the bonus the Valve guy spoke of will kick in at 300000 potatos? </wishful thinking>

Good point

deleted

TheFightingFish said:
Yeah, it was looking like a 20 min+ download for the map for me. I'm in if it goes any quicker on a non custom map.

Me too, right now it seems like nobody is playing on it either...

Red

Killing Floor server is showing 5/6 joined but says server full whenever I try getting in.

Ah it's showing 6/6 now. Oh well, you guys have fun.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think Valve is bringing up the potato count themselves. The potato count seems to be going up at around 400 every 2-3 minutes. That seems absurdly high considering only around 20k people are participating.

Sai-kun

Banned
GDJustin said:
No one is asking anyone to idle. Play some cool indie games. Do your small part to get Portal 2 a bit early. That's it.

That's what we were doing for a whole week and a half or whatever with the potato sack. This last bit of ARG is basically just work. And it sucks.

clip

TheExodu5 said:
I think Valve is bringing up the potato count themselves. The potato count seems to be going up at around 400 every 2-3 minutes. That seems absurdly high considering only around 20k people are participating.

Could be people joining that group to get a potato.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Doopliss said:

Yes, so the first snapshot is 15 hours and the second is 12 hours. Another thing to think about is the second snapshot was done during off peak hours, so the rate at which the bars are filling is increasing, even if it's a small increase. This will help in the long run.

Top Bottom