• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I think the best thing to think is that the game will be released when the red bars are all full. Which at the quitest period had the longest game (Probably KF i think) set to fill in about 40 or so hours as of a few hours ago, so we could well be seeing it Monday morning (UK Time)/Sunday night US.

Atomski

This been posted yet?

daJE8.png

enzo_gt said:
Link to group please? It was poster earlier but I was on mobile-GAF at the time.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/nelipot

Cindres said:
I think the best thing to think is that the game will be released when the red bars are all full. Which at the quitest period had the longest game (Probably KF i think) set to fill in about 40 or so hours as of a few hours ago, so we could well be seeing it Monday morning (UK Time)/Sunday night US.

That's at current rate though - as games finish, the effort will become more consolidated. The only thing about that is the people who don't have all the games and will be shut out from contributing once their game(s) finish(es).

Zomba13

The Steam ARG chat is annoying me now. Dougley says to get back to work/keep working (get potatoes and play the sack games) and most of the officers aren't in a game and are telling others to play the games. Then they keep officer onlying the chat when things go off topic (but we're still in game) and then they start discussing the landover baptist site. Such idiots -.-

So;

I just jumped into TF2 and got the companion cube pin.
- I don't have the potato sack.
- I do have more than 13 potatos.
- I do have Portal 2 preordered.

So at a guess, the potato hat is the reward for buying the potato sack, the combanion cube pin is the reard for getting more than 13 potatos?

Old?

blamite

Dammit, why don't I have the first Bit.Trip potater? I got the ball behind the boss in Mega mode, and nothing happened. Does the boss have to have a certain number of bars left or something?

blamite

MrNyarlathotep said:
So;

I just jumped into TF2 and got the companion cube pin.
- I don't have the potato sack.
- I do have more than 13 potatos.
- I do have Portal 2 preordered.

So at a guess, the potato hat is the reward for buying the potato sack, the combanion cube pin is the reard for getting more than 13 potatos?

Old?
There's two companion cube pins, one for a Portal 2 preorder, and another (called "resurrection associate" pin or something) for playing all the potato sack games.

TheExodu5 said:
I think Valve is bringing up the potato count themselves. The potato count seems to be going up at around 400 every 2-3 minutes. That seems absurdly high considering only around 20k people are participating.
Well if 20k people each got 36 potatoes that would be about 720k potaotes. The number on the counter right now is less than half. So it really depends on how many people you think are like me and have 1 potato or less and won't bother getting anymore.
CarbonatedFalcon said:
That's at current rate though - as games finish, the effort will become more consolidated. The only thing about that is the people who don't have all the games and will be shut out from contributing once their game(s) finish(es).
It will also be reduced. There is a number of people who are either not working towards the goal or don't have a single game. Finishing off games is actually somewhat wasteful.

Cindres

Seriously do we have an updated version of the script that works now that 123 has been completed?

Atomski said:
This been posted yet?

http://i.imgur.com/daJE8.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much how I am. I bought Toki Tori just to help out with this but previously I only had Defense Grid and Amnesia.

I still haven't mustered up the balls to play it. It's sitting on my desktop mocking me. Maybe if I was getting Portal 2 on Steam instead of Amazon I'd have more motivation to play it.

Ickman3400 said:
That's pretty much how I am. I bought Toki Tori just to help out with this but previously I only had Defense Grid and Amnesia.

I still haven't mustered up the balls to play it. It's sitting on my desktop mocking me. Maybe if I was getting Portal 2 on Steam instead of Amazon I'd have more motivation to play it.

I played the Justine DLC with Gamma up to max and no sound and that monster still destroyed my mind, lol

I just checked, the potato-meter gets updated every three minutes. Not always the same number, though, but I'd say an average 250.

So at this rate, we'll need around an hour to get to 300K.

EDIT : Well of course it updated several times since, so a bit less time :) Th thing is to know if something changes at 300K or not.

blamite said:
There's two companion cube pins, one for a Portal 2 preorder, and another (called "resurrection associate" pin or something) for playing all the potato sack games.

I didn't think there were any preorder bonuses for buying through steam other than some old game they already gave away free once a few months back... store page doesnt mention anything about tf2 stuff anyway.

clav

Zombie James said:
I did, i'm not seeing anything?
Restart the client and do it again.

You're basically viewing your profile info (i.e. avatar, comments, groups) and next to your avatar will be potato images.

epmode said:
If there's anything I've gleaned from phase 4, it's "prepare to be disappointed".
this. if anything it's 500k

we've been left in the dark since the page came up and only received confirmation that nothing's going to change for the rest of the ARG ;p

Cindres

I also can't believe how fast AAaaaAA shot up. Cogs and Rush should be fast as shit.

DarkKyo

jdogmoney said:
Yeah, I joined that group and no potato for me, either. Which stinks, because that's about the only one I'll be able to get...
My brother had this problem. He just left the group and rejoined later and it worked for him.

Doopliss

Cindres said:

This has been going for almost 31 hours and Killing Floor's bar is ~15.3% full. It obviously won't be filled in 40 hours time. Would need a massive boost just to be finished by scheduled release.

claviertekky said:
Restart the client and do it again.

You're basically viewing your profile info (i.e. avatar, comments, groups) and next to your avatar will be potato images.

Yeah, so, I'm a member of this group, I should have one potato right? I checked Zomba13's profile to make sure that I could see them at all, and yup (holy shit zomba has 36 o_O)

EDIT: Never mind, sorted now.

TheExodu5

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
this. if anything it's 500k

we've been left in the dark since the page came up and only received confirmation that nothing's going to change for the rest of the ARG ;p

No, it's probably 1 million!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I imagine AAAA! to be done within an hour maybe 90 minutes at the speed it's moving. I could see the next 2 games being done as well by the end of the day.

PatzCU said:
My friend just joined Nelipot group and didn't get a potato either. I wonder if you need to own at least 1 game from the potato pack?

Join the nelipot Steam group and get another potato. (You can get a potato even if you don't have any so far, but you need to have at least one of the games from the potato sack.)

Cindres said:
I also can't believe how fast AAaaaAA shot up. Cogs and Rush should be fast as shit.

Those fucking bars ain't moving fast enough. I contributed 5 hours of my time today. Multiply that by 25k users and this is not going to make a difference. We simply need more people to stop playing CS, COD, and every other game being played on Steam.

It's a catch 22, the progress is not fast enough, so other people don't try, so we don't make enough progress. Gah!

clav

Zombie James said:
Yeah strange. I raged in this thread when someone couldn't explain it to me clearly to the page where the potato shows up.

You have the right page, but it's strange since you don't have a potato. Try leaving and rejoining the group.

Someone might be right about owning at least one game in the potato pack.

jdogmoney

butter_stick said:
Join the nelipot Steam group and get another potato. (You can get a potato even if you don't have any so far, but you need to have at least one of the games from the potato sack.)

Aah. That explains it. I'm broke and Irish.

claviertekky said:
Yeah strange. I raged in this thread when someone couldn't explain it to me clearly to the page where the potato shows up.

You have the right page, but it's strange since you don't have a potato. Try leaving and rejoining the group.

Someone might be right about owning at least one game in the potato pack.

According to the wiki you need to own at least one of the games.

Top Bottom