• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

BY2K

Membero Americo
The ARG people wants us to switch to Super Meat Boy.

They say the other games will fill by themselves over the night.

thefil

TheExodu5 said:
I think Valve is bringing up the potato count themselves. The potato count seems to be going up at around 400 every 2-3 minutes. That seems absurdly high considering only around 20k people are participating.

I was just saying that if I was Valve, I would be cheating. Good to see they are ACTUALLY ME.

- Gabe Newell

Blizzard

Banned
Well, I got the items and played like 50 aaaaaa levels to actually get better at the game, and then finally came back and got the two potatoes legitimately. I only had to use two levels to get it (flying cars, and descent of fans). Note that you can immediately hit escape and quit the level once you finish getting the flying car potatoes which may be very helpful.

The special level was really tough but I ended up 5-starring it without using caffeine I think. Thanks Kirby for helping me find the thread-the-needle spot at the start even though it doesn't trigger a lot of the time.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
BY2K said:

Whoever the ARG people are, they don't seem very smart.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
So close to the 300,000 mark!

And i just saw AAaaaAA jump a load.

EDIT: DING DING DING DING.
Convinced i'm seeing big jumps in the bars but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Also it probably does make more sense to fill up the harder to fill games first, as you never know the smaller ones may fill themselves up enough.
We'll end up with like, KF and Amnesia with hours upon hours left.

classicdms

Neo Member
BY2K said:

I've been switching between idling Meat Boy and actually playing The Ball. I'll keep idling Meat Boy for now then.

Baha

For anybody asking, this is the javascript I run on the Glados page:

Code:
javascript:(function(){document.body.appendChild(document.createElement('script')).src='http://horst.v40.net/steam/js/counter.js';})();

It's pretty accurate for the bars so I assume it's accurate for the countdown as well.

Both Cogs and RUSH are at almost 40% now with AudioSurf at 35%. I think we'll get AAAA to 100% before midnight with Cogs and RUSH by tomorrow morning if not earlier.

TheExodu5 said:
I really should just stop watching those bars and go do something with my time. I am pretty sure I won't actually miss the giant explosion on dem internets that will be caused when Portal 2 actually unlocks. Or you know steam will just download the decrypt data and notify me.

classicdms

Neo Member
300K and nothing of note happened to this layman's eyes. Something tells me they baked it in with the idea that it would launch sunday no matter what.

Cindres said:

Convinced i'm seeing big jumps in the bars but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Also it probably does make more sense to fill up the harder to fill games first, as you never know the smaller ones may fill themselves up enough.

You are seeing things Cindres. Those bars are not moving.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know how to play the Icy_Murderous_I.mp3 in Audiosurf? It keeps redirecting me to The Device Has Been Modified v2, which I've already gotten the potato for.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ExMachina said:
Does anyone know how to play the Icy_Murderous_I.mp3 in Audiosurf? It keeps redirecting me to The Device Has Been Modified v2, which I've already gotten the potato for.
It only redirects you the first time you load up a song. Simply back out to the character select and reselect your song.

Blizzard

Banned
classicdms said:
300K and nothing of note happened to this layman's eyes. Something tells me they baked it in with the idea that it would launch sunday no matter what.
I -wish- it would release Sunday, I could actually play before the work week. Try maaaaybe late Monday night.

Cindres said:

I feel like the Aaaaaa bar's not moving at all. That site kept saying like a 1.5 hour ETA for the game, and I think that was an hour or two ago. Now it's not going to finish until like 9 p.m. EST, and I think it was originally predicting 7 something. Valve's slowing us down because we're trying to release SO EARLY! :p

Rapstah

ExMachina said:
Escape, exit, choose Icy_Murderous again. The game's just hard coded to redirect you to The Device the first time you play a song per session. I'll warn you though, Icy_Murderous is way too long and not really a good song at all. Especially not to play more than five times in a row.

kamspy

ExMachina said:

Just restart. It plays that song first no matter what song you play in Audiosurf right now.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Doopliss said:
The bars jump if you refresh after not refreshing for a while.

Probably what it was.

I just want to believe :'(

Fuck it, I'm going to bed, will see the state of things in like 10 hours.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Bunch of replies about backing out and re-choosing the song.
Ah gotcha, thanks guys. =] I hadn't tried out any other songs so I didn't realize that it always redirected you the first time.

And yes, this Dirge song isn't very good at all... at least TDHBMv2 was catchy.

Rur0ni

KScorp said:
Quoting because I just got all the potatoes! :D

Golden potato deliciousness. And to think I started hunting for potatoes only 26 hours ago.
Your story intrigues me. I have but six potatoes. I pine for another 30... but will the reward be worth it? :|

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ah nice, Cogs have some scripts that will auto complete the puzzles. So that game is out of the way. Only a few more Taters and I should be done.

Red

Zomba13 said:
When asked if we're doing good Dr. Dougley replies:
What happens if you ask if we're doing well?

epmode said:
Fuck yeah! Are you ready to have another 30 minutes knocked off the timer?!!!
Whoah whoah whoah let's not get ahead of ourselves. You're thinking 30 whole minutes? Don't want to get set up for disappointment.

KScorp

TheExodu5 said:
What page did you use? What was the hardest part?

I just used the ARG wiki. Mostly this page, and if I was having trouble finding exactly what to do I'd just click on the game link for more details. (A lot of the games' pages have enormous help, including save files if you prefer.) I had to use a lot of youtube links (most of which are in the wiki) to help me speed through the harder puzzles.

The hardest parts are just the ones I didn't enjoy doing. Bit.Trip boss one was a pain in the ass, I couldn't stay in mega mode even on easy, and it took 5+ minutes to play through the level again to reach him again. Repeat several times and I got sick of it. Cogs and RUSH are probably the hardest if you don't use help... I had to use some mouse scripts just because the time limits in Cogs are ridiculous, even with the answers right in front of you.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Any one know a definitive way to get the Test levels in Rush?

Edit: OK, you can just keep spamming restart in Key to Success.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
KScorp said:
I just used the ARG wiki. Mostly this page, and if I was having trouble finding exactly what to do I'd just click on the game link for more details. (A lot of the games' pages have enormous help, including save files if you prefer.) I had to use a lot of youtube links (most of which are in the wiki) to help me speed through the harder puzzles.

The hardest parts are just the ones I didn't enjoy doing. Bit.Trip boss one was a pain in the ass, I couldn't stay in mega mode even on easy, and it took 5+ minutes to play through the level again to reach him again. Repeat several times and I got sick of it. Cogs and RUSH are probably the hardest if you don't use help... I had to use some mouse scripts just because the time limits in Cogs are ridiculous, even with the answers right in front of you.

Hardest for me was Amnesia, getting all the way to the gear part and the guy would kill me. 10 min. down the drain...at least i have every single part of that memorized.

Top Bottom