• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Oh my god. Cogs. I can't play this shit. I suck at puzzle games. Even with the hacked save files I'm getting nowhere. This fucking game is going to seriously cockblock me from my golden potato.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
At the current rate, it would be faster for me to fly to Washington, break into the Valve offices, flip the switch to release the game, get caught by the police, serve a full prison sentence, and then download Portal 2 with a 56k modem.

I would then play the game with a controller of my own creation that tracked my eyelash movements.

KScorp

theinfinityissue said:
Oh my god. Cogs. I can't play this shit. I suck at puzzle games. Even with the hacked save files I'm getting nowhere. This fucking game is going to seriously cockblock me from my golden potato.

You should use the scripts on the wiki. The Cogs puzzles are ridiculous, especially the WCC one. You basically have to memorize exactly how to beat it so you can do the moves in under a minute and a half.

Zomba13

Atomski said:
Ugh I say at 50% they should just go ahead and boot that bitch up. Should be enough :p.
This. Just say that the Auxiliary power was enough to complete the remaining computations and GLaDOS is now back online.

Weenerz

Banned
That Potatogroup on Steam is filled with crybaby mods, they consider any talking spam and constantly lock down the chat. What a bunch of power hungry babies.

I am literally watching 3 moves in a youtube video, copying them in my game, pausing it, and continuing. THIS IS MY SATURDAY NIGHT.

Cogs.

edit: are there scripts for the first new level and best laid plans as well? only saw them for the last 2

Baha

L00P said:
AAAAAA's bar seems stuck in that level for ages now. C'mon, potato-gaf! I know you can do it!!!!

It's actually been moving, it's at 78.56% now. RUSH has overtaken Cogs now at 41.14% to 40.92% with AudioSurf trailing close behind at 36.11%.

regarding bit treap's third potato what do I have to do exactly? I've repeatedly been playing the test level with no success.
Will it eventually load a different level?

Zomba13

Weenerz said:
That Potatogroup on Steam is filled with crybaby mods, they consider any talking spam and constantly lock down the chat. What a bunch of power hungry babies.
plus most of the time they go off topic when it's locked down. And they weren't playing games for such a long time (which caused a bunch of us to tell them they should help, leading to lock downs). Plus that Frigges is kind of an idiot. He asks stupid questions of Dougley (or was) and was locking the chat down whenever someone said something not nice about him (for not being in game while telling others to be in game).

You know what? I'm actually upset that so many people who own these games are not participating even at the slightest. If a quarter of the Steam user base joined the group that gives a free potato, we would have 7 million potatoes. The thing would be done in minutes.

A friend of mine just got four potatoes in less than fours hours after I told him what was going on, as he was unaware of the ARG.

KScorp

The Omega Man said:
regarding bit treap's third potato what do I have to do exactly? I've repeatedly been playing the test level with no success.
Will it eventually load a different level?

From my own experience, you get the non-maple quote (the non-normal quote) if you hit the aperture logo while "danger" is appearing for missed bits.

theinfinityissue said:
edit: are there scripts for the first new level and best laid plans as well? only saw them for the last 2

All the levels which give potatoes for beating them have scripts.

Baha

Lasthope106 said:
You know what? I'm actually upset that so many people who own these games are not participating even at the slightest. If a quarter of the Steam user base joined the group that gives a free potato, we would have 7 million potatoes. The thing would be done in minutes.

A friend of mine just got four potatoes in less than fours hours after I told him what was going on, as he was unaware of the ARG.

If the estimates on ownership vs current cpus required is true, then that would actually make things worse as more people who own a particular game = more current cpus required. Which is why Killing Floor is slow despite having over 5000 current cpus atm.

Lasthope106 said:

Not everyone cares or has Portal 2 preordered though.

Sibylus

Banned
Assuming this Dr. Dougley character is reputable:

5:28 PM - Guniv…… -[redacted]: Doug, were my previous statements correct?
5:28 PM - Frigges Överlevarn: !!!
5:28 PM - Dr. Dougley: Restate them. I think I missed them.
5:28 PM - Guniv…… -[redacted]: Guniv…… -[redacted]: If you've been paying attention, everytime a game finishes, the others become easier
Guniv…… -[redacted]: so the LOGICAl thing to do is to do the easiest ones
Guniv…… -[redacted]: and move up
Guniv…… -[redacted]: so that they'll be easier
5:28 PM - Dr. Dougley: You are looking at it correctly.

Blizzard

Banned
Something to consider about potentially overestimating your userbase:

There are some 23,000 people playing/idling at the moment. Some of them are presumably legitimate players. Notch (Minecraft) posted about it on Twitter, and the Penny Arcade news post tried to call people to action, in addition to it being on the front page of the Steam store.

So most people probably either don't know, don't realize they can idle one of the other games, don't want to waste the power, and/or don't care about spoilers and/or playing it before the normal work week starts. I'm not meaning to whine about it, just thought it was interesting since Notch and Penny Arcade probably have pretty high numbers of viewers.

classicdms

Neo Member
Blizzard said:
Something to consider about potentially overestimating your userbase:

There are some 23,000 people playing/idling at the moment. Some of them are presumably legitimate players. Notch (Minecraft) posted about it on Twitter, and the Penny Arcade news post tried to call people to action, in addition to it being on the front page of the Steam store.

So most people probably either don't know, don't realize they can idle one of the other games, don't want to waste the power, and/or don't care about spoilers and/or playing it before the normal work week starts. I'm not meaning to whine about it, just thought it was interesting since Notch and Penny Arcade probably have pretty high numbers of viewers.
I think it has more to do with game design than an overestimation of the user base. We've been going at this for about 36 hours now and we still aren't 100% sure of how this works.

In any game, a clear understanding of the rule set allows for fun. We're only bitching and whining because of the lack of clarity. That was cool for the ARG part, but now its pure brute force.

Not to mention that calculations make it seem as though our efforts are close to meaningless. We went from solving puzzles about every hour or so to staring at a giant bar that refuses to fill up sooner than 60 hours later. In game design terms, that's equivalent to leveling up from 1 to 20 in WOW and not seeing another ding til you hit 40.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For C.H.A.S., can I play it on any difficulty, or do I have to do Impossible? The Wiki is pretty unclear.

A non-hat reward according to the Portal 2 blog.
Hatless Demoman confirmed!

Sibylus

Banned
Lasthope106 said:
Don't go there. Some trolls are spoiling the story.
Have yet to see anything, but yeah, I basically ignore it when the chat is opened to everyone. If it's officers-only, it's typically around the time when the character is posting.

corn_fest

Drkirby said:
For C.H.A.S., can I play it on any difficulty, or do I have to do Impossible? The Wiki is pretty unclear.

Hatless Demoman confirmed!
You can do it on Normal.

And I wish the potatoes would be explained. We still don't know if they're a multiplier or if there's some amount we need to collect, right?

Top Bottom