• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
iWMUTZcmmzcJR.gif

iCDnN3zDPMd3m.gif

iBpuRoeuS1sG9.gif

ibpVYw4wfGJ53c.gif

ibkVykRCXj2TnS.gif

ReiGun

With how big 80-90's nostalgia is, I'm amazed we haven't heard of anyone trying a big budget reboot of the Power Rangers.

But then, I guess that would be a licensing/logistics issue with Toei and all. Also, Saban hates spending money.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Whoa, what?

We've got lots of great characters in Gaim already: Kouta, Mitsuzane, Kaito, Takatora, Sid, DJ Sagara, Jonouchi and Ryoji, and Pierre, and all of them are actually DOING something. I'll give you Mai is a bit weak, but at least unlike Koyomi she's appearing regularly.

The random backup dancers for the teams don't need to be that identifiable because they're just there to help flesh out the cast and will probably fade as the show goes on. That being said, I actually like the minor team members of Gaim and Baron.

I was talking about the "posse", not the characters. The characters pretty much trump Wizard's already :p

Like how you know who is who in Kamen Rider Club in Fourze or Wizard's gang in Wizard.

I mean, I still don't know who the other dancers in Team Gaim are

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
With how big 80-90's nostalgia is, I'm amazed we haven't heard of anyone trying a big budget reboot of the Power Rangers.

But then, I guess that would be a licensing/logistics issue with Toei and all. Also, Saban hates spending money.

The man is on the Forbes 400, surely he has some money to spare on bigger projects...

By the way, I heard that they're going to do another attempt at bringing Kamen Rider to the states. Calling it "Power Rider" or something. That's just a rumor right?

Slayven

The man is on the Forbes 400, surely he has some money to spare on bigger projects...

By the way, I heard that they're going to do another attempt at bringing Kamen Rider to the states. Calling it "Power Rider" or something. That's just a rumor right?

He has it, doesn't mean he will spend it. Look at the sucky contracts he tried to give the returning rangers.

ReiGun

He has money, but he'll be damned if he ever uses it. :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I was talking about the "posse", not the characters. The characters pretty much trump Wizard's already :p

Like how you know who is who in Kamen Rider Club in Fourze or Wizard's gang in Wizard.

I mean, I still don't know who the other dancers in Team Gaim are

Rat (blondish dude), Rika (chubby chick), Chucky (the tomboy who looks like Micchy). Keep up Doggie.

fmpanda

It was trademarked by Saban, with the rumors being that they were going to tackle Fourze, but that's fizzled out as of now. I'm curious how much longer before Toei fully gives in to Saban though, Kamen Rider is gaining a bit of ground.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

that power rider rumor has been in effect since fourze

Boss Doggie

Rat (blondish dude), Rika (chubby chick), Chucky (the tomboy who looks like Micchy). Keep up Doggie.

I was talking about what they do or something, like you know what to associate with them.

Like you know JK is the fabulous one, Kengo is the science guy, Yuuki is the space nerd, Miu is the idol/rich girl, Shun is the jock, and Tomoko is the weird girl. Or like you know Shunpei is the comic relief, Rinko is the cop girl, Koyomi is that doll girl, and Wajima is the old man.

Like, most of them are flat characters but at least you can easily tell what they do. But then again I guess they need an actual group of characters to be a dancing group despite focusing on a certain cast.

BatDan

It was trademarked by Saban, with the rumors being that they were going to tackle Fourze, but that's fizzled out as of now. I'm curious how much longer before Toei fully gives in to Saban though, Kamen Rider is gaining a bit of ground.

Gotcha. I guess we'll wait and see.

I think Rocky said he would actually end up losting money because of the time he would have take off and I think Saban not paying for accommodations.

Wow! Sounds awful.
"Sir, the next Power Rangers season is based on a huge Super Sentai season that celebrated 35 years. They brought in so many old actors to reprise their roles. We should do the same!"
"Hmm, do it as cheap as possible. I'm sure Jason will agree for free, that wash-out is so obsessed with that role"

ReiGun

Gotcha. I guess we'll wait and see.

Wow! Sounds awful.
"Sir, the next Power Rangers season is based on a huge Super Sentai season that celebrated 35 years. They brought in so many old actors to reprise their roles. We should do the same!"
"Hmm, do it as cheap as possible. I'm sure Jason will agree for free, that wash-out is so obsessed with that role"

Hell, Jason David Frank probably paid them.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The latest kyoryuger, while nice, seemed a little rushed.

It's almost as if we had enough story to fill two episodes. You can see when they're hurting for time when there isn't much dead time on the transformations.

obviously, it doesn't help that I didn't watch the movie, so I didn't recognize or understand much of what was happening by heart. Still, it was a great episode. I don't think Kyoryuger has had any bad episodes per say.

I'm going to miss it.

Watch Da Birdie

They have names?

Yeah, it was in the pre-release information. I think only Rat's been actually named so far in the show. There's two other Gaim dudes, but they don't talk since I assume they're not considered actual cast members really.

Rat's the mood maker, Chucky's the main dancer, and Rika's the cheerleader. I actually think Rat's a cool dude, and apparently he's supposed to get an episode soon where the one all-female team try and trick him, or so the rumors say.

Then Team Baron has Zack as Kaito's second-in-command, aka the BA-BANANA! dude, and then Peco is the ass with the slingshot.

Do you guys just not pay attention to the press releases?

vareon

I was talking about what they do or something, like you know what to associate with them.

Like you know JK is the fabulous one, Kengo is the science guy, Yuuki is the space nerd, Miu is the idol/rich girl, Shun is the jock, and Tomoko is the weird girl. Or like you know Shunpei is the comic relief, Rinko is the cop girl, Koyomi is that doll girl, and Wajima is the old man.

Like, most of them are flat characters but at least you can easily tell what they do. But then again I guess they need an actual group of characters to be a dancing group despite focusing on a certain cast.

I don't think giving personality gimmicks is Urobuchi's style. Even Kouta didn't have a clear, single sentence of distinction to him. Unlike The Guy Who Really Liked Plain Sugar Donuts or The Delinquent Who Wanted To Befriend Everyone.

WillyFive

The in-suit stunt work they did for this episode of Kyoryuger was astonishing. They moved around as if they were animated with CGI, but yet it was all live action wirework and skill.

Zynx

You have to remember, in Fourze, those characters were the supporting characters to the two Riders along with perhaps Kengo and Yuki (well, even Meteor is almost a supporting character too). In Gaim, the secondary RIDERS (and Mai, etc) are the supporting characters, while the main riders are the main characters. The "flat characters" are tertiary at best. Actually, to parallel Fourze, remember the "other jocks" other than Shun? The other cheerleaders? Same thing.

I don't think giving personality gimmicks is Urobuchi's style. Even Kouta didn't have a clear, single sentence of distinction to him. Unlike The Guy Who Really Liked Plain Sugar Donuts or The Delinquent Who Wanted To Befriend Everyone.

I'd rather the show goes without, actually. The personality gimmicks are a crutch to rely on, especially when there's no character development happening at all. But I liked Fourze in the end all the same. Can't say the same about Wizard.

Boss Doggie

You have to remember, in Fourze, those characters were the supporting characters to the two Riders along with perhaps Kengo and Yuki (well, even Meteor is almost a supporting character too). In Gaim, the secondary RIDERS (and Mai, etc) are the supporting characters, while the main riders are the main characters. The "flat characters" are tertiary at best. Actually, to parallel Fourze, remember the "other jocks" other than Shun? The other cheerleaders? Same thing.
Yeah, I kinda figured that'd be the case.

Slayven

Yeah, it was in the pre-release information. I think only Rat's been actually named so far in the show. There's two other Gaim dudes, but they don't talk since I assume they're not considered actual cast members really.

Rat's the mood maker, Chucky's the main dancer, and Rika's the cheerleader. I actually think Rat's a cool dude, and apparently he's supposed to get an episode soon where the one all-female team try and trick him, or so the rumors say.

Then Team Baron has Zack as Kaito's second-in-command, aka the BA-BANANA! dude, and then Peco is the ass with the slingshot.

Do you guys just not pay attention to the press releases?

Mai actually called Chucky by named once or twice. How are you going to own a company and be a rider, but let 3 of your employees bitch you out?

Kamen Rider Gaim 8 & 9

Had a chance to catch up with the show in one sitting. I really couldn't get enough of the Durian Rider and hope we see him again in due time. Had a lot of fun watching him. The watermelon lockseed made me feel like I was watching Power Rangers or Gundam for a second rather than Kamen Rider. Actually threw me off a bit.
Glad it has stopped working for now as I feel like the show would've had to resort to constantly bigger and stronger enemies much sooner. It feels too early to have that sort of constant power scale difference between Kouta and the other Riders.

Curious if Kamen Rider would actually go through with some sort of romance involving Baron and Mai. When I was watching Den-O (still not done yet) and Double, romance never seemed to be a major plot point for this sort of show. Even with Akiko and Terui, it never felt like there was much focus on their relationship. It just kind of happened gradually. Granted we're talking about a kid's show here so I guess I shouldn't expect much in that regard, but I'm wondering how other Kamen Riders have historically dealt with the subject.

I really hope
the appearance of the Inves through the interdemensional rifts
doesn't mean a return to 2-episode arcs. I'm been enjoying the structure of the show thus far.

And I'll be honest, I actually forgot about Yuya until they mentioned him again.

Tenumi

Banned
He has it, doesn't mean he will spend it. Look at the sucky contracts he tried to give the returning rangers.

I can't say anything about the contracts because I don't know anything about those. But from what I've seen and read, the original intention was a total of 10 previous rangers all along. Of course, people always see it the way they want to see it, hence the complaining and whining from "fans" and actors.

vareon

Kamen Rider Gaim 8 & 9

Had a chance to catch up with the show in one sitting. I really couldn't get enough of the Durian Rider and hope we see him again in due time. Had a lot of fun watching him. The watermelon lockseed made me feel like I was watching Power Rangers or Gundam for a second rather than Kamen Rider. Actually threw me off a bit.
Glad it has stopped working for now as I feel like the show would've had to resort to constantly bigger and stronger enemies much sooner. It feels too early to have that sort of constant power scale difference between Kouta and the other Riders.

Curious if Kamen Rider would actually go through with some sort of romance involving Baron and Mai. When I was watching Den-O (still not done yet) and Double, romance never seemed to be a major plot point for this sort of show. Even with Akiko and Terui, it never felt like there was much focus on their relationship. It just kind of happened gradually. Granted we're talking about a kid's show here so I guess I shouldn't expect much in that regard, but I'm wondering how other Kamen Riders have historically dealt with the subject.

I really hope
the appearance of the Inves through the interdemensional rifts
doesn't mean a return to 2-episode arcs. I'm been enjoying the structure of the show thus far.

And I'll be honest, I actually forgot about Yuya until they mentioned him again.

Coincidentally, I think Den-O was the best KR in terms of handling romance. Not going to spoil it since I don't know where in Den-O you are, but I'd like to hear some impressions later.

Edit: Forgot about Kiva, duh. The entire 1986 is about romance.

Coincidentally, I think Den-O was the best KR in terms of handling romance. Not going to spoil it since I don't know where in Den-O you are, but I'd like to hear some impressions later.

Glad to hear that. Den-O's been quite the ride so far. Currently in the late 30s. Would have been done with it ages ago, but I'm watching it with a friend and we haven't had the time lately to sit down and finish it. When we're done, I anticipate making a post here just to give myself time to digest however the ending goes. Then onto the boatload of movies that were released afterwards!

BatDan

Choujin Sentai Jetman complete!

That... was really damn good. What happened that year to get the writing to that level?
Everyone had depth to them, none of them were one-note. The villains were real bastards and the heroes were all fun to watch.
To go from Jetman to Zyuranger, that must have been a rough transition.

Next up... well Kakuranger still isn't done.
I think I'll tackle Shinkenger now.

WillyFive

I really liked Den-O. Great premise and characters. I feel like the show didn't need a final boss though, it felt tacked-on and out of place.

Choujin Sentai Jetman complete!

That... was really damn good. What happened that year to get the writing to that level?
Everyone had depth to them, none of them were one-note. The villains were real bastards and the heroes were all fun to watch.
To go from Jetman to Zyuranger, that must have been a rough transition.

Next up... well Kakuranger still isn't done.
I think I'll tackle Shinkenger now.

Not sure. It was written by Inoue, whose writing is somehow absolutely terrible outside anything Jetman. (his Gokaiger episode about the Jetman was also fantastic).

I guess after Fiveman was bashed for being a terrible show, they decided they needed to actually try for a year.

Shinkenger is a lot like Jetman (albeit intentionally more hammy), you might like it.

Slayven

I was going to say Kiva was the worst about romance, than I remembered daddy.

Boss Doggie

I really liked Den-O. Great premise and characters. I feel like the show didn't need a final boss though, it felt tacked-on and out of place.

Not sure. It was written by Inoue, whose writing is somehow absolutely terrible outside anything Jetman. (his Gokaiger episode about the Jetman was also fantastic).

I guess after Fiveman was bashed for being a terrible show, they decided they needed to actually try for a year.

Shinkenger is a lot like Jetman (albeit intentionally more hammy), you might like it.

Hey, Agito is good too

Watch Da Birdie

I think her actress probably had scheduling conflicts or something, she disappeared for quite awhile near the end.

Why does it always seem to happen to the girls, like with Hiyori and Koyomi too. The only male character I recall that happening to was Drake.

I think her actress probably had scheduling conflicts or something, she disappeared for quite awhile near the end.

Why does it always seem to happen to the girls, like with Hiyori and Koyomi too. The only male character I recall that happening to was Drake.

That would make sense, as much of a fan as I am of Rina Koike I haven't been able to watch all of the shows she's appeared on.

Slayven

Did the Hana girl from Den-o ever get better?

Top Bottom