• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Tokkyuger... I don't know what I expected but it wasn't quite that. The chest design reminds me of gambling chips rather than train tracks and the masks remind me of Kamen Rider Knight or something. I wonder how well this show will do in pulling in the model train enthusiasts, at least. Unless the first episode ends up catching my interest, I have a feeling I'll be spending the time starting Kyoryuger instead.

WillyFive

The suits and mecha look even more simplistic than Go-Onger. Like, almost no paint details whatsoever, and the suits are almost completely empty, and almost entirely their base color.

Their helmets remind me of Carranger when seen from the side, though.

vareon

The staff will be very important now. Maybe they pulled a Gaim and hired a famed, traditionally non-toku writer for this. The chances are slim though.

Really, really want to see the artwork and suit for Tokkyu-oh!

Tenumi

Banned
Ok, I thought the Kyoryuger suits looked bad, but they eventually grew on me, and I kinda like them now.

Tokkyuger... There is absolutely no chance of that happening with those suits. And they messed up a train mecha. How do you mess up a train mecha!

To be honest, the suits remind me a little of.... Gorenger.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i can deal with the suits, but the train?

im gonna have to see that in action because it looks whack

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What are the bad guys gonna look like/be themed after?

What's the opposite of trains...be interesting if they reversed the usual "environmental" theme and made the bad guys the natural creatures.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I was talking to a friend that says current Tokusatsu shows are terrible, but I talk with him about them anyways, because he liked the really old stuff (mostly Kamen Rider Black) and I told him that everybody was shitting on both the Costumes and the Robot preview of Tokyuu and he asked "why? Is it because they look old? They look straight out of 1988" and I kinda agree with them. They look like old school, simple Sentai outfits.

I don't really like the Robot Toy, but it's still a toy. The half "render" we got with the first poster doesn't look half as bad.

I mean, it can't be much worse than Plezuon with four other different dinosaurs hanging from his wings or Giant Kyoryuzin.

Watch Da Birdie

I've seen speculation the simplicity is to appeal to the Train Otaku...

Many of them are older, thus older looking suits (although even the 80s Sentai Suits weren't as bland), and the Train Mecha is simple because the individual parts I assume need to function as decent train models, which lots of moving and changing parts would mess with.

WillyFive

Seems like it, and reaction in Japan seems to fit in with that (mostly laughing at it for being ridiculous rather than outrage like in the English forums).

However, when I thought of appealing to train fans, I thought they meant like stuff from Lionel and Bachman, with lots of paint and working at an actual gauge (like G gauge, O gauge, HO gauge, etc.). But it doesn't seem like the Tokkyu trains do any of that.

Ok, I thought the Kyoryuger suits looked bad, but they eventually grew on me, and I kinda like them now.

Tokkyuger... There is absolutely no chance of that happening with those suits. And they messed up a train mecha. How do you mess up a train mecha!

To be honest, the suits remind me a little of.... Gorenger.

What's Gorenger?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm being sarcastic, just poking fun at those people who call it "Gorenger" after that one nazi that has control of the wiki page keeps check on it if you change it back to the proper Goranger name.

Oooh got it.
Wiki assholes are the worst...

WillyFive

Oooh got it.
Wiki assholes are the worst...

Yeah, I hate PowerRangerWiki for that reason. They will ONLY take TV-Nihon's translation, even if they are incorrect. I was going to write a whole bunch for Kyoryuger as the show aired each week, but I got tired of that site after the first episode. It was miserable.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm being sarcastic, just poking fun at those people who call it "Gorenger" after that one nazi that has control of the wiki page keeps check on it if you change it back to the proper Goranger name.

Wiki nazi in the toku fandom? You can only be talking about Ryulong, I presume.

Tenumi

Banned

I just typed it how I saw it. But yeah, language sticklers are the very worst, especially when they're not exactly correct.

My point on the suits still stands though, and time hasn't done the Tokkyuger stuff any good. I still don't like them.

I just typed it how I saw it. But yeah, language sticklers are the very worst, especially when they're not exactly correct.

My point on the suits still stands though, and time hasn't done the Tokkyuger stuff any good. I still don't like them.

Ryulong is pretty terrible.

Yeah, Tokkyuger looks pretty bizarre. We shall see how the actual show will be.

WillyFive

Your memory of them only goes back a couple of hours. At least wait until a few months.

I saw the entirety of RPM thinking the Go-Onger suits were awkward and poor; but now I like them.

Watch Da Birdie

I love the Go-Onger suits. Hell, I love Go-Onger.

Even though Kyoryuger is already pretty silly, do you think trains are counted as vehicles enough that this'll be our newest "silly vehicle-based parody Sentai" like Carranger and Go-Onger?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Looked up the Tokkyuger suits, yeah those are ugly as sin. The giant mech looks even worse, they must have gotten the feet on loan from Fire Emblem Awakening.

Watch Da Birdie

Looked up the Tokkyuger suits, yeah those are ugly as sin. The giant mech looks even worse, they must have gotten the feet on loan from Fire Emblem Awakening.

I wonder if the simplistic suits might have to do with them being interchangeable, you know so they don't have to design 25 unique suits for the possible combinations.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The whole switching colors thing could have been cool if they didn't just have a team that could turn into 200 other rangers. Maybe the kids have forgotten by now

WillyFive

The whole switching colors thing could have been cool if they didn't just have a team that could turn into 200 other rangers. Maybe the kids have forgotten by now

They need to one-up themselves or they will lose interest. I remember still expecting Gokai Changes during the Go-Buster's fight scenes on the early episodes. It was something I got used to that definitely felt missing.

I was talking to a friend that says current Tokusatsu shows are terrible, but I talk with him about them anyways, because he liked the really old stuff (mostly Kamen Rider Black) and I told him that everybody was shitting on both the Costumes and the Robot preview of Tokyuu and he asked "why? Is it because they look old? They look straight out of 1988" and I kinda agree with them. They look like old school, simple Sentai outfits.

That's almost exactly what I thought when I saw those suits, although I'd argue that they're the simplest Sentai outfits ever. Even Dynaman's suits had more details to them, and those were basically just baseball uniforms. Dairanger had more detailed costumes. The main three from Gekiranger had more detailed costumes. Tokkyuger looks like a team from a Sentai parody that got called up to the big leagues.

I'm not interested in anything that's been shown so far, and yet I'm eager to see exactly how all of this stuff is supposed to work out on screen. I feel so conflicted.

I wonder if the simplistic suits might have to do with them being interchangeable, you know so they don't have to design 25 unique suits for the possible combinations.

I hadn't considered that, maybe that's a factor.

Tenumi

Banned

Right now, the switching colors thing is the only big curiosity I've got on this season. I'll probably watch it if it ends up entertaining enough.

vareon

I've seen speculation the simplicity is to appeal to the Train Otaku...

Many of them are older, thus older looking suits (although even the 80s Sentai Suits weren't as bland), and the Train Mecha is simple because the individual parts I assume need to function as decent train models, which lots of moving and changing parts would mess with.

This is what I assume too. The trains aren't transforming at all, they just attach to one another. There should be a reason for that.

WillyFive

Perhaps, but I don't see that to be the case. The flyer demonstrates Red (or should I say #1) turning into Green, but the only difference from the normal Green suit is that the number on his forehead changed to 1.

WillyFive

I love the announcer's line during transformation.

“Transformation in progress, please step away from the transforming person”

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
http://henshinjustice.com/2013/12/05/interview-with-kyoryu-red-and-kyoryu-black/

003-1.png

Saito: It’s not uncommon for me to talk to Ryuusei after Kyoryuger filming is over. I’ll think “Wonder what he’s doing?”, want to know, and call him. “You want to come over?” “Yeah, sure.” kind of deal. It’s not like we have to see each other every day, but I always want to see him, and even if I’m exhausted I’ll still go. Ryuusei and I are just like that.

Ryuusei: I know!! We never know whether we’re close or far apart (laughs), but when we’re together it’s always a lot of unbridled fun.

Saito: Even today, we might go home together after this interview or something.

Ryuusei: We’re really saying things like going home together? (laughs)

Saito: Actually, out of all of the guys from Kyoryuger, as of right now the only one who’s stayed over at my place is Ryuusei.

Oh my

I don't know how to feel about Tokkyuger the suits look so retro that they look low budget. I will have to wait and see them in motion. Is yellow a guy or a girl? can we go back to 2 girls and 3 guys please.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Tokyuu 7 is an Orange train car? I hope we get an Orange member!

Orenji Arms + Orange Sentai member for the Year of the Orange.

Tokyuu 7 is an Orange train car? I hope we get an Orange member!

Orenji Arms + Orange Sentai member for the Year of the Orange.

It's like Den-O and Gekiranger all over again. The costume designers for both shows are starting to synchronize, the Convergence has begun.

Top Bottom