• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
hmmm yeesh. how can kids afford these lol.

sure the US toy qualities are noticeably worse but $20 vs 70+... they aren't that much worse.

supply demand?

I think it's just japan being japan. My son wants a Mini-Tyra for Christmas to go along with his gaburevolver and that thing alone is close to 70 bucks. It's a total racket but what are you gonna do.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I think it's just japan being japan. My son wants a Mini-Tyra for Christmas to go along with his gaburevolver and that thing alone is close to 70 bucks. It's a total racket but what are you gonna do.

That's how they make their money. But damn I didn't know mini tyra was that expensive.

sprsk

At some point they have to be pricing kids out of the market. I guess that is where gasphon toys come in.

Yup, this is precisely why there are juudenchi and lock seeds (and cards and rings....). It's a bit easier as a parent to spend 3-5 dollars on one of those and then when birthdays and Christmas rolls around get the real deal.

Taking the little guy to go see a kyouryuger stage show today, should be fun!

vareon

Yup, this is precisely why there are juudenchi and lock seeds (and cards and rings....). It's a bit easier as a parent to spend 3-5 dollars on one of those and then when birthdays and Christmas rolls around get the real deal.

Taking the little guy to go see a kyouryuger stage show today, should be fun!

Can you tell us if there are much enthusiasm for the shows with the kids there? I was under the impression the whole genre is declining (see our conversation about ratings a page back). It's just going to be anecdotal evidence but still.

shaowebb

I...I think I just found the most bizarre Toku thing from Japan yet.Okay not as odd as Hentai Kamen, but I wasn't expecting this one... UFO Kamen Yakisoban. He was an instant yakisoba noodle commercial mascot who was so popular he got a snes beat em up game and a movie. He fought kettler and apparently was weak to water. I think he also has what looks like 2 soy sauce pistols.

What the ...is this where the character Ramen Man in Ultimate Muscle or whatever it was called overseas came from?

One of his commercials.
XtIbxqA.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
MANGO ARMS

Pretty cool looking suit (his catchphrase is Fight of Hammer, not Knight of Hammer it seems), and there was a new insert song, I think sung by Kaito's actor?

EDIT: The ending eyecatch also changed to Baron's Lock Seeds.

sprsk

Can you tell us if there are much enthusiasm for the shows with the kids there? I was under the impression the whole genre is declining (see our conversation about ratings a page back). It's just going to be anecdotal evidence but still.

From what I can tell Gaim is bigger now. The two kids they brought up at the show both said they like Gaim better than Kyouryuuger. Also, was in the toy section of our local department store pricing up Christmas stuff and most of the other parents were all looking at lock seeds and stuff. The gachagachas (4 in total) were all empty. The Kyouryuuger presence is much bigger overall though.

The show overall was fun. You could tell it was G-rosso's D team (this was for an opening of a karaoke place in the middle of Saitama after all.), Red was super skinny and blue had one too many jelly doughnuts, the monsters were pretty cheap looking as well, but my son was super excited just to see them in real life. The highlight was being able to do the ending dance with the original five--my son fucking eats that shit up. The biggest disappointment, though was the hand shake portion aftert he show. They just funneled all the kids down the line with barely any time for pictures. I basically ran along side him taking pictures hoping I wouldn't get yelled at lol. I was expecting something closer to the smaller Den-O thing we went to a couple weeks ago where my son got to pose with him and stuff.

Here's what I mean:
http://imgur.com/sXiDIqP
VS
http://imgur.com/0izu8Vc

WillyFive

The Megaforce finale was pretty boring as far as Toku finales go, but I like that they pulled another Turbo -> In Space cliffhanger.

So now here's the really hard question: What was better, Goseiger or Megaforce? I can't honestly decide.

shaowebb

From what I can tell Gaim is bigger now. The two kids they brought up at the show both said they like Gaim better than Kyouryuuger. Also, was in the toy section of our local department store pricing up Christmas stuff and most of the other parents were all looking at lock seeds and stuff. The gachagachas (4 in total) were all empty. The Kyouryuuger presence is much bigger overall though.

The show overall was fun. You could tell it was G-rosso's D team (this was for an opening of a karaoke place in the middle of Saitama after all.), Red was super skinny and blue had one too many jelly doughnuts, the monsters were pretty cheap looking as well, but my son was super excited just to see them in real life. The highlight was being able to do the ending dance with the original five--my son fucking eats that shit up. The biggest disappointment, though was the hand shake portion aftert he show. They just funneled all the kids down the line with barely any time for pictures. I basically ran along side him taking pictures hoping I wouldn't get yelled at lol. I was expecting something closer to the smaller Den-O thing we went to a couple weeks ago where my son got to pose with him and stuff.

Here's what I mean:
http://imgur.com/sXiDIqP
VS
http://imgur.com/0izu8Vc

Wish they had posed with your child like Den-O did. Its a really cool moment to get. At least he got to meet them though which is still pretty amazing for a kid. In America kids never really got to watch live shows or meet the Power Rangers. They may have done a couple of live shows, but the country is so huge that its just too large an undertaking to set those up here and the kids dont really get to meet their heroes like yours did.

Here's hoping next time they get to pose with your boy and make a stronger memory for him :)

Also I can definitely see the love of Gaim over the Sentai show right now. In spite of having a really loose theme that doesn't make a ton of sense the whole show is just so well done with how its developing the characters, their ambitions and their struggles that its fast rising as one of the better Rider shows I've seen...and I was originally gonna skip it because it sounded dumb on paper! Showed me.

Mango Arms has an amazing look BTW.
AzZ2NLU.jpg

I can't wait to hear how the children are reacting to it's toys soon. Thanks for giving us the inside impression of these things.

Watch Da Birdie

I have to say, Armorless Baron looks really weird in the show....his head seems really large and his body real tiny.

Kyoryuger Ep 39 was really great surprised they fit everybody into one episode. The ten member roll call was great. Lots of good fights and good effects in this one.

shaowebb

@sprsk
Got a buddy with a question since you are seeing some toy stuff moving off shelves. He wants to know if you know which toys, either Gokaiger's or OOO's , were more popular when both series were airing together.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They skipped a couple of Retsuden but I wonder if the sub release is close to the release date.

EDIT: Oh wait, they're late in 2 eps

2EDIT: Holy shit dat ginga episode

Someone must be watching Ultraseven, ate some shrooms, and produced this

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Watched up to the end of Ep 5 of Gaim last night, and really liked it. I think it's hilarious that their sengoku war stuff is dance stages. "Why haven't you tried to take over other dance stages? Because you're nothing more than a coward!"

Hahaha, what?!

The show is damn entertaining, and I can already see things getting horribly dark at some point, even if it's the farthest thing from it at the moment. Going to watch 6 and 7 tonight.

Watch Da Birdie

ReiGun

The worst part of Gaim is that all the dance groups are shitty dancers.

No wonder everyone just wants to see the Riders and the not-Pokemon fights.

Parallax

The worst part of Gaim is that all the dance groups are shitty dancers.

No wonder everyone just wants to see the Riders and the not-Pokemon fights.

id love to see a western dance team show up. get the dudes from stomp the yard with drivers. theyd get wrecked in every sense

I just wanna see someone get served

Apparent Tokkyuger info leaks:
http://www.heroshock.com/?p=7070 said:
Bandai’s press conference will be hold only this thursday, but the site Tokyo Sports got a head start and delivers some informations about 2014′s Super Sentai.

If you weren’t aware, there is an extremely large community of train otakus in Japan. The train toy sales are among the most important, if not the most important, every year. It is so crazy that we can wonder why TOEI didn’t produce a train-themed Sentai sooner.

Tokkyuger will not be a series only oriented toward children, but also toward these train collectors. It seems TOEI and Bandai promise that every train collector will want to buy the entire Tokkyuger toyline. We can expect a large variety of trains (and/or wagons if additionnal mechas there are, and there will surely be) from steam trains to high-speed trains.

A first since Dairanger, the names of the heroes don’t have their colors ! Instead of the traditionnal expected TokkyuRed, our new red Ranger will be called トッキュウ1号 : Tokkyu 1 (pronounced Tokkyu Ichigo). So, the other heroes will be called Tokkyu 2 (Nigo), Tokkyu 3 (Sango), Tokkyu 4 (Yongo) and Tokkyu 5 (Gogo).

One last thing everyone guessed, the train tickets ! Yes, but not classic cardboard tickets. They will be electronic tickets our heroes will use to transform and summon/control their trains. It is possible these tickets « run out of cash » in the series.

TOEI will also promote Tokkyuger all year long in all train stations over Japan.

Patience, only a few days, or hours, who knows, left before discovering this new Super Sentai that already sounds amazing !

Oh boy I can't wait for people to keep calling the Tokkyugers Tokkyu Ichigo and so on instead of just Tokkyu 1 or whatever like they should. That's my favourite thing about the original Riders /s

drizzle

Axel Hertz
For some reason, the idea of train mecha has me so hyped. Also, hopefully we're back to a 3 male, 2 female lineup again.

They should just go crazy and risk making it a 3 female 2 male lineup. It would probably be the least successful series ever, since Female Characters are not the strong suit of Tokusatsu series (No female Kamen Rider ever, less and less female members on Sentai teams).

Zynx

Gaim 8 so good!

Some backstory that applies 4 ways (Kaito/Mai/Zawame City/Yggdrasil), Micchy being ruthless again, and exploring the implications of the rips in space.

Again more opportunities for other characters to lecture Kaito on their ideas of strength, it's obvious he'll come around sometime. But if Micchy gets his heel turn - that will be something.

WillyFive

The train info is exciting and right up my alley. Let's hope the "every-other-Sentai" rule doesn't apply again next year.

They should just go crazy and risk making it a 3 female 2 male lineup. It would probably be the least successful series ever, since Female Characters are not the strong suit of Tokusatsu series (No female Kamen Rider ever, less and less female members on Sentai teams).

Well, for toys and merchandize yes, but Sakamoto sure loves to keep them on-screen.

fmpanda

Gaim 8 so good!

Some backstory that applies 4 ways (Kaito/Mai/Zawame City/Yggdrasil), Micchy being ruthless again, and exploring the implications of the rips in space.

Again more opportunities for other characters to lecture Kaito on their ideas of strength, it's obvious he'll come around sometime. But if Micchy gets his heel turn - that will be something.

With a Multi-Rider show like this, Micchy WILL get a heel turn, the only question is whether the producers will let it slow burn like Leangle, or be done with in 2 episodes like Birth.

Boss Doggie

Yeah Gaim dancing is terrible. It's a good thing they're only for a few seconds, but the intro alone shows their lack of talent.

Speaking of which... are they seriously treating "number 1" as an untranslatable name (a la Ichi-gou)?

Boss Doggie

I can smell the "ichigo" references.

Also I really hope Micchy is a "good guy with a ruthless streak". It'd be nice for someone to act like that. Seems like we'll be going monster hunting a la Ryuki.

Parallax

for those of you who think that Gaim looks stupid, then well look again. best KR series in a while, possibly ever.

Too early to make the ever comment. But most like gaim, just aren't a fan of the dancing.

Boss Doggie

That and the character package. For fucks sake even Wizard's posse were easy to identify. But I guess it's hard to pull a Fourze.

Zynx

With a Multi-Rider show like this, Micchy WILL get a heel turn, the only question is whether the producers will let it slow burn like Leangle, or be done with in 2 episodes like Birth.

With the flashback to the earlier era Rider clash, there's Ryugen and Zangetsu clearly aligned together while Gaim and Baron face off. If the present mirrors the past, I guess it'll be something major. I hope whatever misunderstanding that drives Gaim and Ryugen apart isn't as stupid as the Tendou/Kagami "misunderstanding" (or pretty much all of Faiz, lolz).

Too early to make the ever comment. But most like gaim, just aren't a fan of the dancing.

Well, it's just a plot point, really. And with Beat Riders being called to help watch out for Invess, the pretty minor dancing scenes might be reduced even more.

As for Gaim being the best ever, sure, there's many episodes left which may or may not disappoint. But so far, Gaim has surpassed all my expectations for the show, especially after the tepid, mediocre 2-episode arcs and the abundance of zero plot or character development episodes in recent Rider series.

It's not even like the teams are supposed to be super-good dancers in the show, they're just putting on a show and having a good time. It's important that the kids are doing that tepid two-step routine all the time - if they were actually good at what they did, Bravo's griping would fall a bit flat.

Well Inoue isn't writing so MISUNDERSTANDINGS can't happen.. right?

I dunno, we've already seen someone get tossed into a body of water beneath an overpass. The writers are flirting with Inoue'isms disastah.

GManDH

That and the character package. For fucks sake even Wizard's posse were easy to identify. But I guess it's hard to pull a Fourze.

ill agree it is too early to make the ever comment, but it has been great. I see the dancing as the background. the rarely talk bout the dancing and going forward im pretty sure they will talk bout it less and less. Fourze was pretty epic, first KR series i fully watched. we will see in 40 more weeks.

P.S. next super sentai sneak peak this thursday??

Watch Da Birdie

Whoa, what?

We've got lots of great characters in Gaim already: Kouta, Mitsuzane, Kaito, Takatora, Sid, DJ Sagara, Jonouchi and Ryoji, and Pierre, and all of them are actually DOING something. I'll give you Mai is a bit weak, but at least unlike Koyomi she's appearing regularly.

The random backup dancers for the teams don't need to be that identifiable because they're just there to help flesh out the cast and will probably fade as the show goes on. That being said, I actually like the minor team members of Gaim and Baron.

vareon

I agree Gaim's weakness right now is the dissonance between the seriousness and dancing. It's really hard to show a good dancing on TV. It worked for Team Gaim, where we can see them as a bunch of kids just having fun. But Kaito speaks of much strength when all he did was...dance. We can't even say he's a good dancer, but everyone seems to agree that Baron is the elite team. Invitto and Raid Wild weren't even seen dancing.

The show seemed aware of this, though. The more they pull the "my team is my real home" stuff, the better.

P.S. I'm glad Baron didn't pull the move-you're-in-my-way procedure during his fight along with Gaim in episode 8.

Top Bottom