• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

WillyFive

Also, the Super Megaforce rangers will make their first public appearance on the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. They will appear alongside the MMPR rangers. However, they will most likely be using the Megaforce theme song. Their spot happens at 11:25am EST.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wonder if we'll get Xerneas and Yveltal floats too.

And wow, Decade getting ratings is... confusing.

vareon

You're wondering why a show that brings back the old riders from 9 years back (in a way..) got better rating than the previous one? It got a lot of my friends into Kamen Rider (and eventually branching to other toku) too.

NeonZ

Decade had Rider action every episode, with multiple previous Riders appearing (not only the one feature in the episode, but thanks to Narutaki early on you also got random guests, like the Hoppers in Kuuga, Kaixa in Kiva or Ryuga in Faiz), as well as tons of mystery raised through the show, and, aside from the comic relief moments, everything had an air of importance and large scale. Now, eventually, we got a final episode that was basically a movie promo and the movies completely failed to solve any of that, but the tv show itself was pretty gripping while airing.

There was the whole "not actually bringing back past actors" issue, but that doesn't really seem to have a big negative effect on anything in terms of ratings or box office. On the opposite side of the spectrum, Gokaiger's rating boosts basically evaporated after the Magi and Deka episodes, since people noticed that it was only the Gokaiger fighting, in spite of the past actors returning as powerless heroes.

shaowebb

Anyone else excited for the MMPR fan film?
5rQZYRl.jpg

Trailer is up

Boss Doggie

Anyone else excited for the MMPR fan film?
5rQZYRl.jpg

Trailer is up

When did MMPR become Ultraman

Decade had Rider action every episode, with multiple previous Riders appearing (not only the one feature in the episode, but thanks to Narutaki early on you also got random guests, like the Hoppers in Kuuga, Kaixa in Kiva or Ryuga in Faiz), as well as tons of mystery raised through the show, and, aside from the comic relief moments, everything had an air of importance and large scale. Now, eventually, we got a final episode that was basically a movie promo and the movies completely failed to solve any of that, but the tv show itself was pretty gripping while airing.

There was the whole "not actually bringing back past actors" issue, but that doesn't really seem to have a big negative effect on anything in terms of ratings or box office. On the opposite side of the spectrum, Gokaiger's rating boosts basically evaporated after the Magi and Deka episodes, since people noticed that it was only the Gokaiger fighting, in spite of the past actors returning as powerless heroes.

I guess they never really cared about the plot or such.

jwk94

People expected the past heroes to fight? What were they supposed to do without their ranger powers? I was more angry about the BS they pulled with that AU crap in Decade, especially when we go to Kiva's World. I at least wanted to see what happened after the fight with the Neo Fangire.

ReiGun

Did Gokaiger get any ratings boost from the Hurricanger episodes, since they actually did fight in those?

Speaking of, why are the Hurricangers so special? They get a reunion movie and a Gokaiger special.

jwk94

Did Gokaiger get any ratings boost from the Hurricanger episodes, since they actually did fight in those?

Speaking of, why are the Hurricangers so special? They get a reunion movie and a Gokaiger special.

Maybe they're the only ones who would all come back?

WillyFive

This looks absolutely awful. The epitome of "HAY GUYZ DARK AND SERIOUS RITE?!".

Yeah. Its always weird seeing fan films that have so much passion put into them, and yet seem so alien and far removed from what its supposed to be a fan film of. All the appealing stuff is removed and only left with baffling stuff.

But hey, at least it looks less like a fan film than Kamen Rider Dragon Knight did....

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
No lie, I'm mildly curious to see Saban take another stab at adapting Kamen Rider...

Apparently around Fourze there was rumors of "Power Rider", an adaption of it produced by Saban, which would probably be the best series to adapt since, hey, putting Toku in a high-school setting is their one strong point.

Saban should've licensed 10 YEARS AFTER and done a Ninja Storm special with it. Most of the cast seem to still be about either here or in NZ from what I can see.

No lie, I'm mildly curious to see Saban take another stab at adapting Kamen Rider...

Apparently around Fourze there was rumors of "Power Rider", an adaption of it produced by Saban, which would probably be the best series to adapt since, hey, putting Toku in a high-school setting is their one strong point.

Yeah, the Power Rider stuff pretty much went nowhere. People said Fourze would be good for it at the time given how it riffs off American high school stereotypes but given that there was almost always a human character in the background I wonder how much of the footage is really usable. That's true for a lot of modern Riders really. KRC kids in Fourze, Ankh and Gotou/Satonaka/whoever in OOO, there's always someone hanging around that might get in the way.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah. Its always weird seeing fan films that have so much passion put into them, and yet seem so alien and far removed from what its supposed to be a fan film of. All the appealing stuff is removed and only left with baffling stuff.

But hey, at least it looks less like a fan film than Kamen Rider Dragon Knight did....

The thing is, the guys making this have openly admitted to not being PR fans at all. They're only doing this because they see a "market" for it. There's a reason that they've been banned from virtually every PR fandom board outside of HJU (who, predictably, love them).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Probably why Ryuki got adapted, the way the battles were set up (in the Mirror World, no civilians in sight) really lent itself well than the other series.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

dragon knight at least used the actual costumes. this is the very definition of fandom. with possibly higher quality costumes that the source.

The thing is, the guys making this have openly admitted to not being PR fans at all. They're only doing this because they see a "market" for it. There's a reason that they've been banned from virtually every PR fandom board outside of HJU (who, predictably, love them).

not shocked in the slightest on this.

Slayven

And they not aware Saban would sue them into oblivion?

NeonZ

People expected the past heroes to fight? What were they supposed to do without their ranger powers?

Maybe they should just have had their powers anyway? Teams like the Dekaranger "losing" their "powers" makes no sense.

Not really. By that time, the audience had already abandoned it. Most later homage episodes in Gokaiger just had no effect on the ratings, they seemed to float up and down weekly, and past teams being in it or not seemed to have little to do with that. Keep in mind that this audience that dropped the show after the Deka episode likely weren't "fans" in the first place, so they wouldn't follow weekly news about a show they dropped.

I was more angry about the BS they pulled with that AU crap in Decade, especially when we go to Kiva's World. I at least wanted to see what happened after the fight with the Neo Fangire.

The whole bit about the series in Decade being reimaginations not the original ones was part of the initial press conference about Decade in Japan, so it wasn't some kind of negative surprise to Japanese viewers, it was part of the series' premise. Somehow, the Western fandom missed that until we got the actual episodes.

Boss Doggie

There's a market in the West for edgy toku?

The whole bit about the series in Decade being reimaginations not the original ones was part of the initial press conference about Decade in Japan, so it wasn't some kind of negative surprise to Japanese viewers, it was part of the series' premise. Somehow, the Western fandom missed that until we got the actual episodes.

I'm fine with reinterpretations, it's the "decade sue fixer of all worlds" that bothered me.

That and you just do not do that to Kuuga, regardless on whether he is the original or not.

shaowebb

I'll watch it regardless because it looks well made regardless of what anyone thinks of the aesthetic its using. If you want to see a bad fan film checkout the Mega Man movie that was fan made. That is what poorly made looks like. This at least looks well produced which is why I'm willing to go in with an open mind and at least see what they have to show me.

Sorry if that steps on any of your toes, but to each their own man.

vareon

Just saw that MMPR trailer. Looks like something half of GAF would ridicule to death if it was an official gritty reboot for the sake of being gritty. Still, they say it's the first trailer. A lot more chance for them to change my mind.

People expected the past heroes to fight? What were they supposed to do without their ranger powers? I was more angry about the BS they pulled with that AU crap in Decade, especially when we go to Kiva's World. I at least wanted to see what happened after the fight with the Neo Fangire.

Neo Fangire was clearly a placeholder to say "and the heroes' fight continues!" with no forward thinking of how it happens or how it impacts the series' future because Kiva ends there. I'm actually surprised some people take Neo Fangire seriously.

vareon

On the other side of Japanese shows, Samurai Flamenco has taken the weirdest turn ever and becoming an actual tokusatsu with showa villains.

WillyFive

Zynx

Still liking Gaim so far - don't really like the CG melon form though.

I do like that they took a moment to reference the missing lock instead of just ignoring that someone should have noticed it was missing.

hmmm yeesh. how can kids afford these lol.

sure the US toy qualities are noticeably worse but $20 vs 70+... they aren't that much worse.

supply demand?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Megaforce Finale

Gokaiger time! ... In February.
That was actually pretty good. But the season overall has been disappointing. Boring episodes plus awful acting.
Interesting how they brushed away the Goseiger elements for next season. Like the Messenger telling Vrak to hide, and Robo Knight disappearing.

A shot in the dark, but maybe the reason Goseiger only got 20 episodes for Power Rangers was due to the theme of angels and the heavens? Religion is kind of a no-no for kids programming here.

Tenumi

Banned
"Morph now. MORPH! MORPH! MORPH!"

Gosei, stop backseat coaching!

Megaforce Finale

Gokaiger time! ... In February.
That was actually pretty good. But the season overall has been disappointing. Boring episodes plus awful acting.
Interesting how they brushed away the Goseiger elements for next season. Like the Messenger telling Vrak to hide, and Robo Knight disappearing.

A shot in the dark, but maybe the reason Goseiger only got 20 episodes for Power Rangers was due to the theme of angels and the heavens? Religion is kind of a no-no for kids programming here.

Acting definitely got better later in the season, which should hopefully continue on into Super Megaforce. Robo Knight and Vrak definitely aren't done with, especially with the way the episode ended.

Overall, I liked the season, but acknowledge completely that there was much room for improvement in most every area.

Top Bottom