• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Defuser

Tokkyugers suit looks like it came from a bad anime sentai design or even a villain's grunts. Even the 80's Sentai suits such as Gorenger look better than that. It's funny how I don't have a problem with Kakuranger's simplistic design whereas I have problem with Tokkyugers.

They were? I don't recall Geki looking alot like Den-O

I'm just talking about the colors for the first couple of suits on each show.
You've probably seen this mentioned before, but both shows had a similar color scheme for their main suits - red, yellow, blue, violet and white. They don't have any real similarities beyond that, and the comparison goes straight out the window once each show's respective power ups are introduced, but it's a neat observation.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There's even an episode where the Gekirangers do the Ore Sanjou pose during the post-episode sweepstakes segment.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm just talking about the colors for the first couple of suits on each show.
You've probably seen this mentioned before, but both shows had a similar color scheme for their main suits - red, yellow, blue, violet and white. They don't have any real similarities beyond that, and the comparison goes straight out the window once each show's respective power ups are introduced, but it's a neat observation.

Ahh I see. Yeah that's a neat observation.

I'm still kinda disappointed that Chopper wasn't orange.

NeonZ

Tokyuu 7 is an Orange train car? I hope we get an Orange member!

Orenji Arms + Orange Sentai member for the Year of the Orange.

I don't think we'll get an extra member for these initial auxiliary mecha, but there's always the chance that the auxiliary mecha can be used for alternate forms, considering how using the mecha on the changer changes their color/form, only keeping the number the same.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I noticed you can see "faces" on the blue/green trains on the picture showing the mecha's face head-on, do you think they'll talk like the Go-Onger Vehicles? I liked that.

I'm trying to figure out if they're meant to be certain animals like if there's a secondary motif, but it's hard to tell with the small shots of the toys.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Megaforce Christmas

That was a sweet episode, even if it was just an excuse to show a crummy ass clip show.
It was interesting to see a Ranger go to another country, even if it was the robot one.

Would you say that Megaforce was better than Goseiger or just about the same? I haven't seen Goseiger yet so I can't judge.

WillyFive

Would you say that Megaforce was better than Goseiger or just about the same? I haven't seen Goseiger yet so I can't judge.

The main cast of Megaforce is more likable than that of Goseiger, but they are just as shallow with nothing going on. Most of the villains however were a lot better in Goseiger, although I preferred Vrak to Bladerun.

Megaforce as a story should have been longer, they set up a lot of stuff (like the science teacher's interest in the Toxic Beasts) that were never revisited.

But although Megaforce was pretty much skeletal, it was a lot more entertaining than Goseiger, which was 50 episodes of boredom. My opinion, at least. I wish Megaforce had music as good as Goseiger though.

Tenumi

Banned
The main cast of Megaforce is more likable than that of Goseiger, but they are just as shallow with nothing going on. Most of the villains however were a lot better in Goseiger, although I preferred Vrak to Bladerun.

Megaforce as a story should have been longer, they set up a lot of stuff (like the science teacher's interest in the Toxic Beasts) that were never revisited.

But although Megaforce was pretty much skeletal, it was a lot more entertaining than Goseiger, which was 50 episodes of boredom. My opinion, at least. I wish Megaforce had music as good as Goseiger though.

I think Megaforce in a way was harmed by its setup for continuation into Super Megaforce. No doubt if this was a solo season, some of the issues probably would have been addressed better.

I do have to say, I'm immensely going to miss the Gokaiger music. Loved that stuff.

shaowebb

...what? I don't get it. Is it the low quality of the american fight scenes or...

I watched power rangers dubbed in Brazilian Portuguese. I didn't really watch much of season 2, but goddamn these voices are weird. Goldar and Lord Zed sound terrible.

I've met Axelrod (Lord Zed's VA) in person before at a convention and talked with him. If he was anything then like he was when I saw him he may have been high as hell. Dude absolutely emitted clouds of weed. Gave him some Hi-Chew to snack on and shot the breeze with him while his table was empty. Dude is really nice. Somewhere on one of the Tsubasacon archives of his QA is an interview and he reveals how he developed the voice of Zed. Actual explanation "It comes up from the balls." And he said it in the voice. Great moment. Hard to believe he was also Finster.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
They do the dairanger pose sort of

Also the following fight scene is really good

Oh, I never saw Dairanger, so...

I always though the american fight scenes were fine. They just stood out so much from whatever stock footage they were still using, even back then, since they were so different fighting styles. The most weird part is always how they didn't interact with the monster (since they didn't have the monster suits).

I've met Axelrod (Lord Zed's VA) in person before at a convention and talked with him. If he was anything then like he was when I saw him he may have been high as hell. Dude absolutely emitted clouds of weed. Gave him some Hi-Chew to snack on and shot the breeze with him while his table was empty. Dude is really nice. Somewhere on one of the Tsubasacon archives of his QA is an interview and he reveals how he developed the voice of Zed. Actual explanation "It comes up from the balls." And he said it in the voice. Great moment. Hard to believe he was also Finster.

I fully accept the fact that it's probably just nostalgia. I grew up with them talking differently, so I'm just more used to that.

In hindsight, things really would have looked better had they used the Dairanger costumes. Granted, I can understand why they stuck with the Zyuranger ones, but was the editing really worth the trouble?

From what I've heard, parents around America were blowing a fuse over how "violent" PR was and the Dairangers were fucking vicious compared to the Zyurangers (Daigo took every chance he could to pulverize a mook's groin) and that might've played a role into why they extended the use of the old suits.

BatDan

From what I've heard, parents around America were blowing a fuse over how "violent" PR was and the Dairangers were fucking vicious compared to the Zyurangers (Daigo took every chance he could to pulverize a mook's groin) and that might've played a role into why they extended the use of the old suits.

Good point.
Dairanger was more martial arts focused with every team member using a bo staff. Hence the fight footage would have been much more violent than before.

WillyFive

Yeah, it sucked. For most of the season, the MMPR rangers were literally dancing and doing somersaults instead of actually fighting.

Anyway, I got a Wii U with Wonderful 101, it's a really great game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It's kinda weird that the MMPR characters know gymnastics more than martial arts.

Is it? Martial Arts is more associated with violence. Gymnastics is a physical activity that kids can do without pandering to their aggressive side.

Would you think of the children?

BatDan

I saw the Dairanger suits in that trailer. I'm more interested in the hand wave they plan to use for that.

I don't think we'll get MMPR Season 2/3 editing. They'll become the Megaforce Rangers, then the Super Megaforce Rangers and spend the rest of the episode that way.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
They'll become the Megaforce Rangers, then the Super Megaforce Rangers and spend the rest of the episode that way.

But that's the dumb part. Why have the goseiger suits at all?

What's the point of transforming into the suits that transform into something else?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Also the American toy is getting this

mmXWW3w.jpg

hzOcxKZ.jpg

Not sure if they'll work it in the show or not (requires effort so probably not?)

Also the American toy is getting this

Not sure if they'll work it in the show or not (requires effort so probably not?)

They turned the Go-onger bit into a Zeo vehicle? Odd. I guess because RPM didn't use the Engine Souls.

On Tokkyuger... huh. At least the color-switching gimmick will be interesting.

Tenumi

Banned

What's the point of transforming into the suits that transform into something else?

Not saying it will happen, but I can imagine that they won't necessarily change into Megaforce suits all the time before switching.

Maybe I'll be wrong. I don't know. I don't work for them.

No, this is an additional mech for the US toyline.

It's a strange addition, though.
They're clearly reusing parts from the Red Battlezord (they even put the star symbol on it) and it breaks down into guns.
But it still has fists on the gun parts, which is weird, because when the Battlezord did that the fists came off and the arms became gatling guns.
And then they still end up using gatling guns on the thing, but they're on the extra parts of the car that are strapped to the robot's knees.
Why not just have the fists fold up or something? Does that make it seem too awkward or something? They've already got guns on the thing - in for a penny, in for a pound, that's what I say. Or maybe they're spring loaded popguns that shoot fists or something, haha.

I'm not saying it's a bad addition, I just think it looks a bit more silly than usual.

Damn that Power Ranger soundtrack is so good it doesn't matter if the fights are bad when you got badass music backing you up

They are probably doing it so they can use Goseiger footage that they haven't used yet just in case they don't have enough usable Gokaiger footage.

Top Bottom