• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Upon rewatching it, I think you might be right. But then I also noticed another plot point I missed, and that's
his sister having powers/melody. Even Ramirez noticed it this time.

That's just because she was DekaYellow in a past life. It's just a wink and a nod for us, old farts watching preteens Japanese Shows.

I thought Torin now runs on brave energy

Yes, that's why Bragigas can do the Cannon attack and not die anymore. He also got a sweet deal on the conversion kit.

Slayven

I might be crazy but King's detective mode is probably based on the Eating Detective.

C85vOkN.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wish Doggie appeared more, or at least get a Deka movie :/

EDIT: Holy fucking shit that Just Live More Orchestrated

So I'm all caught up with Ultraman Ginga and all I can really say about it is that it's kinda fun but doesn't really have all that much substance. There are points though in certain episodes where the cinematography and effects and everything are just really really nice looking like the first time Hikaru transforms into Ginga and when he uses Ginga fireball for the first time in space.

So since I'm all done with that until the next episode comes out, I started Kamen Rider Faiz the other day and it's really really cool like I really dig the high tech motif they've got going on (kinda makes me hope for another high tech rider after Gaim) with all the gear Faiz has. I really like that there's two main casts so to speak: Faiz and his pals and the three orphenochs and at the moment I find the stories of both groups of characters really interesting. So yeah I just finished episode 9 and I'm coming away from it pretty impressed and happy. I'm liking Faiz so far.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I wish Doggie appeared more, or at least get a Deka movie :/

EDIT: Holy fucking shit that Just Live More Orchestrated

I remember he showed up on some movie. I think it was Super Hero Taisen, but I just scrubbed and didn't find anything. All I remember is that he showed up, along with Swan, morphed, and said that the main characters could go somewhere, because he would take care of the one hundred enemies that showed up on some forest.

Also, his entrance was pretty good, as he "Vega Slashed" his way into the picture.

I don't remember where he did that though.

Edit: It was in the Gokaiger x Goseiger Super Sentai 199 Hero Grand Battle. It also has Umeko actress in it. It's not enough, but it's some Doggie.

Also, doesn't he show up a bunch in Gokaiger? RangerWiki has pictures of him with Marvelous and a big ass paragraph. Damn, I really do need to watch Gokaiger...

NeonZ

Also, doesn't he show up a bunch in Gokaiger? RangerWiki has pictures of him with Marvelous and a big ass paragraph. Damn, I really do need to watch Gokaiger...

I don't think Doggie ever will show up in the SHT movies because his voice actor does Rider 1's replacement voice, and he uses basically the same voice for both characters. Anyway, yes, Doggie appears in Gokaiger episode 5 and I think he also had a cameo in the last episode.

WillyFive

I don't think Doggie ever will show up in the SHT movies because his voice actor does Rider 1's replacement voice, and he uses basically the same voice for both characters. Anyway, yes, Doggie appears in Gokaiger episode 5 and I think he also had a cameo in the last episode.

He's also in 199 Heroes. He was all over the place in Gokaiger.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So I'm all caught up with Ultraman Ginga and all I can really say about it is that it's kinda fun but doesn't really have all that much substance. There are points though in certain episodes where the cinematography and effects and everything are just really really nice looking like the first time Hikaru transforms into Ginga and when he uses Ginga fireball for the first time in space.

So since I'm all done with that until the next episode comes out, I started Kamen Rider Faiz the other day and it's really really cool like I really dig the high tech motif they've got going on (kinda makes me hope for another high tech rider after Gaim) with all the gear Faiz has. I really like that there's two main casts so to speak: Faiz and his pals and the three orphenochs and at the moment I find the stories of both groups of characters really interesting. So yeah I just finished episode 9 and I'm coming away from it pretty impressed and happy. I'm liking Faiz so far.

Tell us how you feel when Kusaka shows up.

Boss Doggie

I remember he showed up on some movie. I think it was Super Hero Taisen, but I just scrubbed and didn't find anything. All I remember is that he showed up, along with Swan, morphed, and said that the main characters could go somewhere, because he would take care of the one hundred enemies that showed up on some forest.

Also, his entrance was pretty good, as he "Vega Slashed" his way into the picture.

I don't remember where he did that though.

Edit: It was in the Gokaiger x Goseiger Super Sentai 199 Hero Grand Battle. It also has Umeko actress in it. It's not enough, but it's some Doggie.

Oh I know his appearances during Gokaiger run (the Goseiger x movie, the Deka episode, and the cameo at the end). I even know that he was supposed to appear in the Gokai x Gavan movie.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
New magazine scan shows who owns the first three Energy Lock Seeds...

Shin Zangetsu is just Takatora
Ryouma Sengoku, the crazy scientist, is Duke
Some cute girl who looks a lot like Micchy is Marika

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Flashman did have some of the badass suits.

They did. However, some of their special effects were mostly terrible. Sure, it's from 1986, but half of them weren't that bad, but they never used them. I think only Red Flash used his "summon my weapon" animation from time to time: With all the other members, the weapon would usually just show up, except in some very special cases, like character-oriented episodes.

Also, while I was scrubbing all 50 episodes looking for GIFable sequences, I noticed that they never used the complete henshin + rollcall footage on transformations. It was mostly just the Henshin sequence (that ended on the Visor Down I GIFfed) and the presentation, while the individual Roll Call footage was only used when they were Transforming by themselves, usually on character-specific episodes. As the episodes went on, they started using one of the three group Visor Down sequences I also GIFed, making the Henshin Sequence even quicker. Other than Red Flash, which would Henshin by himself a lot (and subsequently show his Personal Roll Call), each of the other member's roll calls only showed up I think twice each, in over 50 episodes. Pretty crazy.

WillyFive

Must have been fun filming those sequences. Just standing around, and the having the visor drop. Then going into a new position to film the visor drop again.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Must have been fun filming those sequences. Just standing around, and the having the visor drop. Then going into a new position to film the visor drop again.

I wonder if the visor just broke after the third one, or if they managed to do it a million times in between sequences.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

It's extra funny today, because the Flashman say SHUT GOGGLE when they transform.

I wonder if those pop in visors are the "close-up" helmets vs the "action" helmets.

I'd say there are three sets of helmets. Mechanized henshin helmet, detailed close helmet, wide camera angle shitty helmet. On one episode, before shutting the visor down, they put a blindfold made out of metal to avoid some monster special attack. All this Visor down sequence was filmed on a white background (as opposed to black). In the middle of the fight on that episode, they open the visor up, say some things with the visor up (which I always though was pretty cool. Sadly, they never did that again), and put the visor back down. This was also done in a white background that had nothing to do with the place they were fighting, and it was clearly recorded in studio.

On that same episode, they fight based on sound. Poor Pteragordon

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Watched some more Kyoryuger
Saban better get Robert Baldwin when they adapt this series. It's too perfect.

Tenumi

Banned
Why do that when you can pay a random New Zealander 500 bucks to play a caveman?

That depends. Are there New Zealanders with Robert Baldwin's build?

I caught myself up on Kyoryuger and Gaim. Glad that I stuck with Gaim. I think that the amount and variety in Characters is really helping it, at least in my opinion. No two Riders so far seem to think alike, which is great.

vareon

The showa riders and heisei riders fight each other in the beginning, but it turns out to be a misunderstanding and they unite to fight Giga Shocker in the end. The Super Sentai helped clear that misunderstanding by destroying Giga Shocker's plan.

Where do I apply for scriptwriter?

GManDH

The showa riders and heisei riders fight each other in the beginning, but it turns out to be a misunderstanding and they unite to fight Giga Shocker in the end. The Super Sentai helped clear that misunderstanding by destroying Giga Shocker's plan.

Where do I apply for scriptwriter?

At Ishimori studios.

Slayven

Might not be that bad if they lead with the Gaim crew. And keep Wizard shit to minimum, except Beast. He can do whatever he wants.

WillyFive

I still can't believe they skipped the ShinkenBrown episode of Shinkenger. 40 episodes adapted, and they forgot to use the one where they could have had Bulk interact with the Rangers in any meaningful way.

So uh.

There's this. http://www.superhero-movie.com/

Apparently the next Super Hero Taisen movie is going to be focused on Heisei riders vs Showa riders (now there's 15 of each so it works) and Super Sentai is only going to be "featured" so I guess they just show up at the end or something

I'm still wondering how that will not end in a monkeystomping by the Heisei team. Kamen Rider J might be the only one who poses a problem. It's like putting Golden Age Flash up against modern Flash.

Yeah, I love Kyoryuger. I'm crazy ready for its adaptation. Hopefully, Violet will get an even bigger presence.

So uh.

There's this. http://www.superhero-movie.com/

Apparently the next Super Hero Taisen movie is going to be focused on Heisei riders vs Showa riders (now there's 15 of each so it works) and Super Sentai is only going to be "featured" so I guess they just show up at the end or something

I wonder if they'll get Fujioka back to voice Rider 1 (assuming Rider 1 has a big enough part in the film to warrant that). Still disappointed they didn't let him play out of suit in Let's Go Kamen Riders, the Rescue Force movie showed he was still boss amongst bosses.

NRSJlhK.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What was the point of having him back anyway?

Nostalgia. Saban wanted to get the older audience to watch, so they brought back someone from MMPR.
Of course, it doesn't make sense to the target demographic, who were born years after Bulk and Skull left the show.

WillyFive

iTWKbQsJEYHgw.gif

Sorry for the double post, but here's an interesting read about girl audience in shows targeted to young boys which may be relevant to our favorite shows about men in armors and thights:

http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com...ni-tells-kevin-smith-about-hollywoods-fear-of

In short, Young Justice was cancelled due to lack of toy sales, but YJ has a larger girl follower, which they attributed to "not buying toys".

That's pretty interesting.

It probably can be very relevant to Toku, especially after the controversy with the producer of Kyoryuger only having one girl on the show and not having a yellow because it was a "girly" color and girls can't be strong.

Ironically, older women are a big audience of the shows (the ratings for the F1 and F2 demographic, females aged 20 to 35 and 36 to 49 respectively, have a range of 2% to 7%, and are the most likely to watch the show year after year despite cast and thematic changes), and explains why the shows constantly have male models as main characters and the audience on a lot of fan Toku events are loud fangirls.

Then again, you could argue that the cure series that airs right after Sentai and Rider already has the child girl demographic for the channel, so no need for Rider and Sentai to hunt for them.

Boss Doggie

Yeah, we'll never see the old, pre 2000's style of actors sadly.

Sorry for the double post, but here's an interesting read about girl audience in shows targeted to young boys which may be relevant to our favorite shows about men in armors and thights:

http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/...ywoods-fear-of

In short, Young Justice was cancelled due to lack of toy sales, but YJ has a larger girl follower, which they attributed to "not buying toys".

Young Justice should have fujoshibait

:(

Top Bottom