• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Aizo

Banned
If you want a show more specific to your tastes, our fellow members in the TokuGAF community will be able to pick one made just for you, maybe even one not listed here!
Hello, TokuGAF!
I recall hearing that there were a few Tokusatsu series (or maybe it was films?) that were targeted at adult fans of Tokusatsu. Is there anything that anyone recommends that isn't mostly targeting a younger demographic? Thank you!

shaowebb

Hello, TokuGAF!
I recall hearing that there were a few Tokusatsu series (or maybe it was films?) that were targeted at adult fans of Tokusatsu. Is there anything that anyone recommends that isn't mostly targeting a younger demographic? Thank you!

For something ridiculous in terms of comedy Lion Maru G and Hentai Kamen. For gritty Toku action I actually haven't got looking yet. Has anyone seen the Kamen Rider Next things? Would they work?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
For something ridiculous in terms of comedy Lion Maru G and Hentai Kamen. For gritty Toku action I actually haven't got looking yet. Has anyone seen the Kamen Rider Next things? Would they work?

Kamen Rider The First is decent I guess. The Next is kinda bad.

Should've recommended Garo, though.

vareon

Hello, TokuGAF!

Garo and Gouraigan would be the most recent examples. There are three seasons of Garo, though.

For Kamen Rider, you can try the not-exactly-showa-but-not-quite-heisei specials like Shin, J, and ZO. For series, there's Kuuga and Agito. Don't know for Sentai, maybe Akibaranger?

There's actually a lot of one-off movies like Hentai Kamen, Casshern, Devilman, Yatterman, Zabogar etc which I have missed.

Xadhoom

Neo Member
Hello, TokuGAF!

Garo definitely fits that description, so you could check that out. I haven't watched it myself, but I've heard Gouraigan is in the same vein.
If you're interested in something with a less superhero focus, I would absolutely recommend Daimajin Kanon. The main character isn't a transforming hero, so there's less action in this one than most of the other shows recommended, but it still has some great action scenes. It's mostly about a group of spirits helping a young woman to get out of a depression so that she can help reawaken a giant.

NeonZ

I don't think Toei would even attempt to get a high profile actor due to how cheap they are. They aren't even getting Fourze's actor back for this Sengoku Battle due to his actor getting some mainstream roles since Fourze ended.

Actually, one of the most likely actors to return (yet again) right now is Decade's, going by the last post in his blog.

fmpanda

I don't think Toei would even attempt to get a high profile actor due to how cheap they are. They aren't even getting Fourze's actor back for this Sengoku Battle due to his actor getting some mainstream roles since Fourze ended.

Actually, one of the most likely actors to return (yet again) right now is Decade's, going by the last post in his blog.

I have to say, that dude is determined to make Tsukasa a decent character, so he does get an A for effort.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Man fuck that. All the characters that I want to see not showing up, plus the possibility of more decade/haruto bs makes me not want to see this movie. I'd rather watch nitou eat stuff with mayonnaise while fighting various monsters through kr history.

NeonZ

Why isn't Shotaro coming back in the next movie wars? That guy seems into it

I think the main problem with W is that it's a package Shotaro/Philip, not just Shotaro. For what's worth, Shotaro's actor voiced W in the SHTZ net movies. I guess there's a chance they could get him to play W by himself in a "serious" movie (with Philip presumably transforming alongside him offscreen), but they still haven't done it, so I'm not sure they're going to...

Aizo

Banned
Garo and Gouraigan would be the most recent examples. There are three seasons of Garo, though.

For Kamen Rider, you can try the not-exactly-showa-but-not-quite-heisei specials like Shin, J, and ZO. For series, there's Kuuga and Agito. Don't know for Sentai, maybe Akibaranger?

There's actually a lot of one-off movies like Hentai Kamen, Casshern, Devilman, Yatterman, Zabogar etc which I have missed.
I literally mean a more mature series, so do any of those have mature themes that aren't meant for children to see? I thought all the Heisei Kamen Rider series were aired for the same demographic? Akibaranger seemed too kid friendly to me, personally.

As for the films, Casshern is a terrible film. On the other hand, its fights are fun. Seriously skip through the rest of the movie. It's not worth it. My friends recently saw Hentai Kamen and said that it's hilarious. Zabogar is very fun, too. I had no idea that Devilman and Yatterman were turned into Tokusatsu films. That sounds awesome. I'm a fan of the Devilman manga.

Garo definitely fits that description, so you could check that out. I haven't watched it myself, but I've heard Gouraigan is in the same vein.
If you're interested in something with a less superhero focus, I would absolutely recommend Daimajin Kanon. The main character isn't a transforming hero, so there's less action in this one than most of the other shows recommended, but it still has some great action scenes. It's mostly about a group of spirits helping a young woman to get out of a depression so that she can help reawaken a giant.
What is it that's mature about Garo?

vareon

I literally mean a more mature series, so do any of those have mature themes that aren't meant for children to see? I thought all the Heisei Kamen Rider series were aired for the same demographic? Akibaranger seemed too kid friendly to me, personally.

What is it that's mature about Garo?

Garo is mature by the virtue of the creator specifically said it's for mature audience, hence the midnight showing. In terms of content, they sadly don't explore mature themes much, but they do have gore and boobs and basically no goofiness.

That's why I specifically said Kuuga and Agito. Kuuga is basically a police murder mystery with the main character transforming into a Kamen Rider. The latter is similar, only with more focus on mystery. They are far less merchandise driven than the series after then. They are known to have on-screen death and having people deal with its consequences. IMO, they handled mature themes better than Garo despite being targeted at a wider audience.

Aizo

Banned
Garo is mature by the virtue of the creator specifically said it's for mature audience, hence the midnight showing. In terms of content, they sadly don't explore mature themes much, but they do have gore and boobs and basically no goofiness.

That's why I specifically said Kuuga and Agito. Kuuga is basically a police murder mystery with the main character transforming into a Kamen Rider. The latter is similar, only with more focus on mystery. They are far less merchandise driven than the series after then. They are known to have on-screen death and having people deal with its consequences. IMO, they handled mature themes better than Garo despite being targeted at a wider audience.

Is Garo still good despite that...?

Kuuga and Agito sound superior. Thank you! Mostly, that's what I had in mind; I want a series with more mature themes and characters dying as a consequence (it doesn't need to be violent. I just think it makes the fights more dramatic/interesting).

Zynx

Micchy's my favorite character in Gaim. Has both sides: ruthless and caring, unlike everyone else. And now keeping secrets from both his brother and his friends.

I'm really happy with the pace at which the show has been uncovering plot elements. Although they seem to be cutting back on close-up shots of Sid twirling his "S" lock seed.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Seems Gaim's getting an Energy Lock Seed Form in February, and then another new form, the "Victory Orange Lock Seed", in March. Plus a "DJ" Gun that attaches to the Musou Saber. DJ Sagara teaming up with Team Gaim?

Probably not his final form that early, though.

Micchy's my favorite character in Gaim. Has both sides: ruthless and caring, unlike everyone else. And now keeping secrets from both his brother and his friends.

I'm really happy with the pace at which the show has been uncovering plot elements. Although they seem to be cutting back on close-up shots of Sid twirling his "S" lock seed.

It seems kind of cruel they're tricking the other Riders into basically baiting out Zangetsu, who could easily kill them if he wants to.

Hahaha yes. The king shall reign eternal.

TwyHuJE.gif

fmpanda

Did you enjoy having your ears bleed from Kenzaki's screaming?

Note: San is a form of Japanese Honorific similar to Mr. or Mrs. in English.

TACHIBANNA-SANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's see how many of ya'll get the joke.

tbqh the actor himself is pretty cool. It's the character he's playing that is the problem...

I like Tsukasa. He's a dick, but he also clearly cares for his friends and ultimately wants to do the right thing. He's just kind of a cocky shit stirrer about it.

The problem with Decade has always been that it has no story (and the whole AU thing if you wanna get hung up on that).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
His character kinda suffers from that. With the whole thing being "he is the problem solver" it makes it look like he's some Gary Stu.

Anyway love today's episode of Gaim. And I just realized that Ryugen is the only "Chinese" rider so far.

His character kinda suffers from that. With the whole thing being "he is the problem solver" it makes it look like he's some Gary Stu.

That's one way of looking at it, and it's not wrong. I just look at Decade as the adventures of Tsukasa, Satsumy and Yuusuke with the plot (including the AU worlds and how they resolve) being kind of tertiary. The core trio of characters in Decade are pretty fun.

Really, if I have any problem with characterisation in Decade, it's less to do with any perceived Gary Stu-ness in Tsukasa and more to do with how terribly Yuusuke is utilised. Dude is Kamen Rider Kuuga but you'd barely know it. He either never fights or does so poorly. He's used as more of a backup damsel in distress for Natsumi than he is a second for Tsukasa. He has some good scenes, but he really should've been portrayed better as another hero.

Boss Doggie

Would've liked it more that he does more in his "being the solution of the world", like he ends up learning or growing into that role rather than being given to him. Less of the "super smart police" in the Kuuga world and more something like "gets his ass handed to him but learns from it and returns the favor" in how Marvelous vs Doggie did it.

But yeah tarnishing Kuuga is a cardinal sin.

NeonZ

and more something like "gets his ass handed to him but learns from it and returns the favor" in how Marvelous vs Doggie did it.

But Decade did get beat by the N Gamio? Marvelous was the one that led his team to take over for all previous teams while the other heroes just stood in the background. Decade most of the time could finish minor monsters quickly, but needed help against the actually relevant ones.

Invincible Decade walking over everything is only from the movies, and even there he usually got beaten up at the end in favor of W or whoever is the current hero.

Boss Doggie

But Decade did get beat by the N Gamio? Marvelous was the one that led his team to take over for all previous teams while the other heroes just stood in the background. Decade most of the time could finish minor monsters quickly, but needed help against the actually relevant ones.

Invincible Decade walking over everything is only from the movies, and even there he usually got beaten up at the end in favor of W.

I was talking about how he was always an "ace" in the world, like how he's smarter than the cops, Rider lawyers, violinist, what...ever he did in Blade world, student, etc. and how they reflect on the world. Only time the riders became "useful" for him is when he needed weapons. Poor Kiva, Blade and Faiz always ending up getting FINAL ATTACK RAIDO whenever they are in a crossover.

NeonZ

I was talking about how he was always an "ace" in the world, like how he's smarter than the cops, Rider lawyers, violinist, what...ever he did in Blade world, student, etc. and how they reflect on the world.

To be fair, it was Onodera that bonded with prince Kiva, convinced Tsukasa to trust in Ren in Ryuki world, and he also pointed out that he was completely mishandling the situation with Kendate in Blade. Although Onodera was mishandled in battles, after his two parter was over, about half of the time Onodera had a big part in making the Riders and Decade work with each other (although in some later episodes we got stuff like "Yuusuke explained everything!" referencing an off screen event).

haven't watched sentai in a bit, and i watched random later eps... 10 rangers?

wow, thought all the spririt ones were one off, but now they are all here?

that henshin + rollcall was like 1/3 of the eps lol.

vareon

In the beginning of the series I thought Micchy was "just another rider so we can have four". Especially after his lack of role during the first 4 eps or so.

Now like, whoa.

kaitain19

Finally my account is approved. I suppose this is a good thread as any to introduce myself?

I basically joined this forum for this thread, hope everything goes well from here.

Top Bottom