• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

It still feels like there's an issue that appears that very little people seem to realize: Power Rangers is not Super Sentai. They aren't aimed at the same audience, and heck, they aren't aimed at the secondary demographic, either.

Culturally, certain things can be done in Sentai that can't in PR. Power Rangers has the difficulty of working with Sentai footage, but it isn't a handicap.

Writing, yes, we can hope for good writing, but its a kids show. Sometimes competency is all that be guaranteed.

Super Megaforce is not Gokaiger. It shouldn't be held up to Gokaiger's standards.

Power Rangers ≠ Super Sentai...hasn't been the case from the inception of the series. And never will be even if adaptations go tit for tat.

Saban has yet to deliver on competency because if there was ever some delivered it hasn't showed up in the 20 episodes of Megaforce that I've watched.

So please let me know what standards I should set the middling show to that hasn't done anything yet?

We all at this point have the same information to make some kind of inference to the quality of the adaptation and it isn't looking good.

My current qualms has nothing to do with a comparison from original to adaptation. It is in combination however with what we do know where I can try to figure something out based on such information.

My whole issue is how this was being touted as the 20th Anniversary and how it hasn't really delivered on that in any way as of this post. Maybe that'll change and Super Megaforce will hit the same upswing Super Samurai did. Or it'll stay middling and I'll just tune in when the Legend War plays out in the end and save myself the trouble. We'll see.

Tenumi

Banned
Power Rangers ≠ Super Sentai...hasn't been the case from the inception of the series. And never will be even if adaptations go tit for tat.

Saban has yet to deliver on competency because if there was ever some delivered it hasn't showed up in the 20 episodes of Megaforce that I've watched.

So please let me know what standards I should set the middling show to that hasn't done anything yet?

We all at this point have the same information to make some kind of inference to the quality of the adaptation and it isn't looking good.

My current qualms has nothing to do with a comparison from original to adaptation. It is in combination however with what we do know where I can try to figure something out based on such information.

My whole issue is how this was being touted as the 20th Anniversary and how it hasn't really delivered on that in any way as of this post. Maybe that'll change and Super Megaforce will hit the same upswing Super Samurai did. Or it'll stay middling and I'll just tune in when the Legend War plays out in the end and save myself the trouble. We'll see.

I don't think you understood what I was saying. Power Rangers uses footage, and heck, uses storylines on occasion, too. Time Force was a near direct adaptation, and that's a season that had a good reception.

What I'm saying is that Power Rangers is not Super Sentai. It shouldn't be held to the standards Sentai seasons are held to, aka their own seasons. It should be held towards the standards set by the Power Rangers series.

In essence, I'm saying Super Megaforce isn't Gokaiger. It shouldn't expected to be held up to Gokaiger's standards. It should be held up to the standards of Megaforce, Samurai, RPM, and all the seasons before it. Likewise, when Tokkyuger comes along, it shouldn't be held up to Super Megaforce's standard. It should be held up to the standards of Kyoryuger, Go-Busters, Gokaiger, and so on.

What I'm saying is that Power Rangers is not Super Sentai. It shouldn't be held to the standards Sentai seasons are held to, aka their own seasons. It should be held towards the standards set by the Power Rangers series.

I don't think it's unfair to compare the quality of Power Rangers and Super Sentai but okay then.

By Power Rangers standards it's still likely to be middling at best. It's still not going to have writing or characterisation as good as RPM or the early Disney seasons, just as Super/Samurai and the first season of MegaForce didn't. It's still going to have the same wooden (or directed to be wooden) actors (and yeah, I know Power Rangers acting was bad in the 90s too. But the point is that it got better before regressing back to that). Everything we know about the tribute/cameo element suggests it's still going to come off poorly compared to previous teamups and anniversary celebrations despite having the perfect set up to do more and a big deal being made out of the anniversary.

Better?

Tenumi

Banned
I don't think it's unfair to compare the quality of Power Rangers and Super Sentai but okay then.

By Power Rangers standards it's still likely to be middling at best. It's still not going to have writing or characterisation as good as RPM or the early Disney seasons, just as Super/Samurai and the first season of MegaForce didn't. It's still going to have the same wooden (or directed to be wooden) actors (and yeah, I know Power Rangers acting was bad in the 90s too. But the point is that it got better before regressing back to that). Everything we know about the tribute/cameo element suggests it's still going to come off poorly compared to previous teamups and anniversary celebrations despite having the perfect set up to do more and a big deal being made out of the anniversary.

Better?

I can agree to that. I do agree, its not going to be at the top of the lists of seasons of Power Rangers, unless something really special and unexpected happens. Gokaiger has nothing to do with that. Super Megaforce does.

Eh... I'm just a Power Rangers fan who's defensive. I like watching both Sentai and PR. I just think Power Rangers gets the shaft sometimes in ways it really shouldn't.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
There should be comparisons, but don't go overboard. Just go in with low expectations. You might be surprised like with RPM.
I still contend that MMPR S1 is better than Zyuranger (so many damn kids...)

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I mean of course I'm not going to compare Tokkyuger to Super Megaforce. But I think it's only logical to draw comparisons between Tokkyuger and the show that will use footage from Tokkyuger.

I mean they called their stupid leader Gosei this season, they're practically asking for it.

Tenumi

Banned
There should be comparisons, but don't go overboard. Just go in with low expectations. You might be surprised like with RPM.

At the point I'm at in Zyuranger, it's still the Burai and friends show. No fun... the main teams lost so much competency since his arrival...

WillyFive

MMPR could have used A LOT of a stuff from Zyuranger, but I agree that the kids formula was a thing best left unadapted,

BatDan

I mean of course I'm not going to compare Tokkyuger to Super Megaforce. But I think it's only logical to draw comparisons between Tokkyuger and the show that will use footage from Tokkyuger.

I mean they called their stupid leader Gosei this season, they're practically asking for it.

It doesn't help that they leave the cards completely unedited, and you can clearly see "Tensou Sentai Goseiger" in plain English. It also doesn't help when the card and the dialogue do not match at all (Card: Gosei Ground. Voice: Gosei Grand).

I can agree to that. I do agree, its not going to be at the top of the lists of seasons of Power Rangers, unless something really special and unexpected happens. Gokaiger has nothing to do with that. Super Megaforce does.

Eh... I'm just a Power Rangers fan who's defensive. I like watching both Sentai and PR. I just think Power Rangers gets the shaft sometimes in ways it really shouldn't.

It's the 20th anniversary of Power Rangers. This is where they pull out all the stops.

It can be a Decade or it can be a Gokaiger. Hoping it's the best Power Rangers season is entirely understandably desire.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
4cAmMIx.jpg

Someone make sure to record this and put this somewhere

I don't think you understood what I was saying. Power Rangers uses footage, and heck, uses storylines on occasion, too. Time Force was a near direct adaptation, and that's a season that had a good reception.

In essence, I'm saying Super Megaforce isn't Gokaiger. It shouldn't expected to be held up to Gokaiger's standards. It should be held up to the standards of Megaforce, Samurai, RPM, and all the seasons before it. Likewise, when Tokkyuger comes along, it shouldn't be held up to Super Megaforce's standard. It should be held up to the standards of Kyoryuger, Go-Busters, Gokaiger, and so on.

My whole inference was never to compare standards but to look at what Gokaiger did and what Super Megaforce will do with the content available.

And as always because of what the Sentai did and what Power Rangers can't because of such you can never make a comparison between the two.

Like I said though, given how lackluster Megaforce was and reading that episode overview doesn't give me those good feels I need as a fan of this franchise at the moment. I'm going to do what I always do, give it that fair shot and judge it accordingly.

vareon

I think this is the least likely place you'll find Power Rangers being unjustifiably compared to Super Sentai. I've been in TokuGAF for years, and in PR discussions, it's almost always about PR to PR, not PR to SS. Except when comparisons are inevitable, like if some of the episodes took too much from the source material.

NeonZ

Anyone have any clue when we might here about another Climax heroes game or All Riders Gen 3?

Climax Heroes almost certainly isn't happening anymore. That musou-like game had significantly superior sales and seems to be replacing it.

All Riders Generation is another matter. Travellers' Senki seemed to be its replacement, but its sales were much lower than the Rider Generation games, so, there's a chance they could go back to them next year.

There must have been a mandate from high up to reuse monster suits more.

I like what Kyoryuger is doing. The monsters generally still get relevance even in their return, making them basically feel like minor recurring characters, rather than just recycled suits for combat. I wonder if it might have been a budget cut due to the low ratings? Go-Busters also recycled suits, although there they were generally modified and said to be "new versions". Monsters aren't part of the toyline at all, so it seems like the first thing they might cut if they start doing budget cuts.

Climax Heroes almost certainly isn't happening anymore. That musou-like game had significantly superior sales and seems to be replacing it.

Climax Heroes will be back. I just think they're transitioning to the PS3 now and with Gaim having a billion riders waiting until the next show to get all of them in to have a better game when it comes is a good idea.

We'll know the fate of Climax Heroes & Battride War when the machine for the new SHT movie starts working. A perfect time to announce something since they're going for Old School vs New School this time around.

If not it does give me the excuse to break down everything Super Climax Heroes like I wanted to anyhow.

NeonZ

Climax Heroes will be back. I just think they're transitioning to the PS3 now and with Gaim having a billion riders waiting until the next show to get all of them in to have a better game when it comes is a good idea.

Battride War was planned and started development alongside the last Climax Heroes (VA recording sections were the same for both). After no Climax Heroes this December and Batride War's high sales, I really can't see Climax Heroes coming back and taking Batride War's spot.

Is Nadeshiko the only female rider that didn't "die"?

Kiva-la too, and also Mage.

BatDan

It's funny that Saban is promoting Power Rangers on ESPN, a channel owned by Disney.

Tenumi

Banned
It's funny that Saban is promoting Power Rangers on ESPN, a channel owned by Disney.

That's NFL Network, and considering Nickelodeon and NFL Productions produces NFL Rush Zone on Nicktoons, I think this might have been a Nickelodeon promotion, or at least partly set up by.

shaowebb

All Riders Generation is another matter. Travellers' Senki seemed to be its replacement, but its sales were much lower than the Rider Generation games, so, there's a chance they could go back to them next year.

I like what Kyoryuger is doing. The monsters generally still get relevance even in their return, making them basically feel like minor recurring characters, rather than just recycled suits for combat. I wonder if it might have been a budget cut due to the low ratings? Go-Busters also recycled suits, although there they were generally modified and said to be "new versions". Monsters aren't part of the toyline at all, so it seems like the first thing they might cut if they start doing budget cuts.

We'll know the fate of Climax Heroes & Battride War when the machine for the new SHT movie starts working. A perfect time to announce something since they're going for Old School vs New School this time around.

If not it does give me the excuse to break down everything Super Climax Heroes like I wanted to anyhow.

Battride War was planned and started development alongside the last Climax Heroes (VA recording sections were the same for both). After no Climax Heroes this December and Batride War's high sales, I really can't see Climax Heroes coming back and taking Batride War's spot.

Kiva-la too, and also Mage.

Im cool with all of these getting sequels honestly. Battride, Generations, and Climax heroes all fill a different action niche for me so it'd be great if they kept all 3 going. PS3 got delayed by college but it looks like I got a major interview on the 9th that might just let me grab it and battride then. Here's hoping I have plenty of Toku imports to look forward to this year.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Seems Yggdrasil is using mass-produced "Kurokage" Suits soon, hope this doesn't mean Ryoji dies...

Apparently Gaim will be using Banana Arms in the show too, according to a guy who posted that bit of info on Japanese boards before a magazine came out confirming it.

NeonZ

Tsukasa's and Shotaro's actors are confirmed to be in Heisei Rider vs Showa Rider. I guess they'll finally stop attempting to only use W when they have both Shotaro's and Philips' actors, which is a great choice, considering how easy it seems to be to get Shotaro's actor back, while Philip seems fairly harder.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Seems Yggdrasil is using mass-produced "Kurokage" Suits soon, hope this doesn't mean Ryoji dies...

Apparently Gaim will be using Banana Arms in the show too, according to a guy who posted that bit of info on Japanese boards before a magazine came out confirming it.

I always assumed all the lock seeds were interchangeable. It would be cool to see them all swap theirs around

vareon

Tsukasa's and Shotaro's actors are confirmed to be in Heisei Rider vs Showa Rider. I guess they'll finally stop attempting to only use W when they have both Shotaro's and Philips' actors, which is a great choice, considering how easy it seems to be to get Shotaro's actor back, while Philip seems fairly harder.

Is that...is that Kusaka in the scan?

Edit: DAMMIT SHF Kamen Rider Shin is exclusive. Time to pay twice the price ;(

vareon

Yes....yes it is. How they pull that off is beyond me. now someone just needs to get Takumi in and we're good. It probably won't happen, though =/

I have an idea to have the BEST cameos in a KR movie:

- Kusaka
- that Kamen Rider Glaive dude from Blade movie
- Kiva's Shizuka
- the young kid who became Kamen Rider Mage

Should be super interesting.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh and there's scans of the Energy Rider in-show out too, they look awesome. Sigurd (Cherry) is still being shrouded in secret as to his identity, so I'm guessing it's gonna be someone we already know, like Yuuya.

And Gaim using Banana Arms confirmed! Looks really good too.

Oh and there's scans of the Energy Rider in-show out too, they look awesome. Sigurd (Cherry) is still being shrouded in secret as to his identity, so I'm guessing it's gonna be someone we already know, like Yuuya.

And Gaim using Banana Arms confirmed! Looks really good too.

The action figures can already switch. You can find some videos of people using the Arms Change figures to make new combos.

Here's Banana Gaim and Orange Baron.

http://youtu.be/uKjK2Sju3b8

Or Pineapple Zangetsu (at the end of the videos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKpUv3BTHz8

Pine Ryugen

http://youtu.be/FHMpyDbXZR8

Huh, I thought Cherry was a girl. So it's just Peach?

Cherry and Lemon are dudes. Peach is the only woman. The previous rumor had Cherry and Lemon as brother and sister.

Hesei-Vs-Showa-Movie-War2.jpg

I still don't understand how this won't be a curb-stomp battle.

Top Bottom