• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

or better yet alien ranger it.

write off the megaforce for a dozen eps. Maybe throw in a kamen rider too...

or maybe megared really does have a great pirate voice!

can't wait for gobuster rangers. Will be so meta. And I do tend to like the seasons where the rangers are part of military like organizations.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Oh my god, I can't believe I just found this thread!

I'm a huge anime fan and I loved watching Mighty Morphing Power Rangers as a kid :3

So what should I watch Gaf? Where do I start? The new 2013 series recommended on the OP or should I go for the classics?

Not sure if you should start with it but if you do get into this stuff definitely watch Akibaranger.

Jowy

Neo Member
Ok, so I've downloaded Kamen Rider Kabuto, like some of you guys suggested...

My reaction after watching the first episode:

m-bison-yes-o.gif

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Kabuto's good, but there a really weird tone shift a bit into it that kind of bothers me, especially looking back at it. Tendou is a solid character the whole way through mostly, and Kabuto is, while a simple suit, pretty stylish, so it's no biggie.

I may be biased, but I think Fourze is a good starting series. Sure, it's a bit boring around the middle, but it's a lot more stable when it comes to plot elements and tone and keeping everything more or less coherent, plus there's a bevy of cool powers to entertain you with and the coolest (imo) 2nd Rider I've seen.

Kiva's probably in my bottom, although I wanted to like it. The biggest problem? Kiva himself. First of all, the suit actor is usually very good at matching the face actor's personality, like, when you see Kabuto, you can easily see Tendou in it, and same with Gentarou and Fourze, but for the life of me I could never see Wataru as Kiva. It didn't help that Kivat did all the talking. The body language of the two just don't match at all. The show never clarified it, but I was also confused as whether or not the Arms Monsters actually possessed Kiva when he transformed into the Arms Forms, or if Wataru would just take on the behavior of, for example, a werewolf when he became Garulu Form. The second problem was the fact that they did a horrible job at balacing the various Forms and Powers, as once Emperor Form appeared, it seemed like Kiva couldn't win a fight whatsoever without using it, rendering the Arms Forms useless. All the other series I watched allowed the Rider to utilize his older forms alongside the newer ones, but not with Kiva.

Watch Da Birdie

Start with W.

Another great choice, that's probably my 2nd favorite series.

Catchy jazz soundtrack, a cool main character, an interesting power mechanic, solid villains and unique monster designs, plus the best supporting girl, Akikiko. <3

I would've said Hana from Den-O was the best...except, y'know...total boner killer right there.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Kiva's probably in my bottom, although I wanted to like it. The biggest problem? Kiva himself. First of all, the suit actor is usually very good at matching the face actor's personality, like, when you see Kabuto, you can easily see Tendou in it, and same with Gentarou and Fourze, but for the life of me I could never see Wataru as Kiva. It didn't help that Kivat did all the talking. The body language of the two just don't match at all. The show never clarified it, but I was also confused as whether or not the Arms Monsters actually possessed Kiva when he transformed into the Arms Forms, or if Wataru would just take on the behavior of, for example, a werewolf when he became Garulu Form. The second problem was the fact that they did a horrible job at balacing the various Forms and Powers, as once Emperor Form appeared, it seemed like Kiva couldn't win a fight whatsoever without using it, rendering the Arms Forms useless. All the other series I watched allowed the Rider to utilize his older forms alongside the newer ones, but not with Kiva.

i want to watch kiva really badly. other than the movie riders, all of the rider designs are pleasing to the eye, but the way people go about the story...no thanks.

Watch Da Birdie

Story is actually pretty interesting in Kiva, bar some weird time stuff at the end that seems unneeded plus leaves some loose ends and a bit odd since it came right after the time-travel focus series Den-O, especially the Otoya-plot which imo far exceeds the plot around Wataru and Kiva.

You get some great music, and a pretty interesting look as the whole series has a very retro look to it...like, even with the CG, the way it's filmed and the dull lighting they use makes it almost look like a Showa-era show sometimes.

vareon

i want to watch kiva really badly. other than the movie riders, all of the rider designs are pleasing to the eye, but the way people go about the story...no thanks.

The timeline switching is actually pretty brilliant. And the actual story itself, as a whole, is not that bad. It's just that for older viewers, there are too many things that are either left unexplained, forgotten, or ignored entirely. It felt like the show is trying to decide whether to take itself seriously or not.

Wiseblade

So yeah, I decided to watch the Shinkenger-Decade crossover episodes... What is the deal with that show? The whole thing is super mopey, from the OP to the cast. Does the MC just go around stalking riders or something?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So yeah, I decided to watch the Shinkenger-Decade crossover episodes... What is the deal with that show? The whole thing is super mopey, from the OP to the cast. Does the MC just go around stalking riders or something?

It's Decade

Slayven

Decade is one of those rider series where you will like or hate it. In a lot of ways Decade is lazy and really only acts because he is forced too. He has a tad more characterization than Wizard. The Den-O and Faiz eps were pretty good though. And you get to see the infamous Oba-chan from Kabuto. I would watch if there was nothing else.

Oh my god, I can't believe I just found this thread!

I'm a huge anime fan and I loved watching Mighty Morphing Power Rangers as a kid :3

So what should I watch Gaf? Where do I start? The new 2013 series recommended on the OP or should I go for the classics?

Gokaiger, Kyoryuger, and Super Megaforce in 2014

Decade is one of those rider series where you will like or hate it. In a lot of ways Decade is lazy and really only acts because he is forced too. He has a tad more characterization than Wizard. The Den-O and Faiz eps were pretty good though. And you get to see the infamous Oba-chan from Kabuto. I would watch if there was nothing else.

Doesn't help that the plot makes zero sense. And that troll movie trailer for a movie that doesn't exist! :(

What was the reason that the show was cut short?

Oh, I do love the decade driver though. Great voice and effects.

I don't feel like Garo is recommended enough here. Great stuff even though it's a bit repetitive.

Slayven

Whoa there, skippy. You don't start the show with the showstopper. Gokaiger is something you've got to build up to. Start off with something like Shinkenger or Gekiranger first.

I would kick it back old school and suggest Dekaranger.

Doesn't help that the plot makes zero sense. And that troll movie trailer for a movie that doesn't exist! :(

What was the reason that the show was cut short?

Oh, I do love the decade driver though. Great voice and effects.

I don't feel like Garo is recommended enough here. Great stuff even though it's a bit repetitive.

I always heard it was cut short because Toei wanted to stagger their shows, so not to have Sentai and Rider premiere at the same time. So they wouldn't compete so much in toy sales.

Garo is good shit, but it is dark as hell.

And titties.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I had a "we're so old" thought.

The rangers in Megaforce were themselves kids when Mighty Morphin premiered 20 years ago. Meaning in a few years, we'll have Rangers born after 1993. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kyoryuger Power Rangers have never seen the original.

WillyFive

10 year anniversary of Hurricanger cast reunion.

I had a "we're so old" thought.

The rangers in Megaforce were themselves kids when Mighty Morphin premiered 20 years ago. Meaning in a few years, we'll have Rangers born after 1993. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kyoryuger Power Rangers have never seen the original.

Heck, Kyoryupink was born in 1997. By the time she was 6, she would have been watching Abaranger. If she was in the west, she would be watching Power Rangers Ninja Storm.

I have a question guys. Will there be a Samurai vs Megaforce teamup before Super Megaforce?

One hasn't been announced yet, but we might as well expect it, since Samurai had a teamup with RPM despite no one from the original cast showing up in-person.

Heck, Kyoryupink was born in 1997. By the time she was 6, she would have been watching Abaranger. If she was in the west, she would be watching Power Rangers Ninja Storm.

Crikes I feel old. I was in high school when I watching Megaranger, I really felt a connection to them because I was so close to graduation, even wore a Digitaizer on my wrist under my gown *lol* Yeah I'm that kinda geeky.

WillyFive

"Our source implied that Koichi Sakamoto would serve as Executive Producer and that Amit Bhaumik would serve as a writer on the series. More details as they come."

Can Koichi be executive producer of Power Rider while directing Kyoryuger? Why would he even go back to adaptations in NZ when he can do the real thing over at Toei? Obviously fake.

Still, it would be interesting having the same person do both the original and the adaptation. And the Power Rider copyright was recently renewed, despite them continuing to do nothing with it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
dull gentaro?

whats with saban's love of boring leads.

Is this what kids like these days? Or is it telling kids that being a leader sucks?

they probably want the cast to make the character come out of their boring shell, but that never works. the lead needs something that makes them compelling. they should look at the disney seasons.

Slayven

10 year anniversary of Hurricanger cast reunion.

One hasn't been announced yet, but we might as well expect it, since Samurai had a teamup with RPM despite no one from the original cast showing up in-person.

Where the female villians? They were super cute in Hurricanger

they probably want the cast to make the character come out of their boring shell, but that never works. the lead needs something that makes them compelling. they should look at the disney seasons.

which is funny because that's the opposite of kamen rider where its all about the main rider and every other rider is just there to sell toys and rarely do anything about the plot. Heck they don't even win most fights. They rarely take out the monster of the week.

Top Bottom